Do I need two mountain bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Do I need two mountain bikes?

When I was a young teenager I raced mountain bikes and then got out of it and recently started missing it and getting back into it. Some bummer stuff recently happened in my life and I went on a bit of a bike bender and now I have two mountain bikes.

I built a full rigid Ritchey 650B with mid-spec components for that old school charm and it certainly has that. But, then I got a smokin' deal on a Cannondale f-Si Carbon 1 and had to have it. I like riding both, but the Cannondale is obviously a more sophisticated bike and more comfortable. I sort of justified the Dale by saying if I were to upgrade the Ritchey to the same level it would cost as much or more and the Ritchey is the sort of thing you could keep forever, but I could also be kidding myself here.

I am looking for justification or some sense talked into me. I don't necessarily need the money from selling one, but it may not be practical to have these two mountain bikes in addition to my full carbon road bike and commuting bike.

slow
    I like different bikes for different trails, having a spare bike for when I have one apart while doing maintenance, or to loan out to guests.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    n+1
    always mad and usually drunk......

B.Ike
    yes.

mtbr member
    I'll take the contrarian viewpoint and assert your don't need any mtbs. They are fun though. More bikes = more fun.
    What, me worry?

Duck Fonald
    Keep 'em both.
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

WillWorkForTrail
    You don't NEED one mountain bike. But if you have a couple, keep em around and see what happens.

mtbr member
    its ok...i have four....one less than a year old and three sh*tters

Cycologist
    I've got three mountain bikes (fully, hardtail, singlespeed) and three road bikes (road, fixed, CX). I enjoy riding them all and it's nice to mix it up. It's also nice to have a backup if one goes down.

Your Richie should last forever.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post

Your Ritchey should last forever.
    Fixed.
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

gobsmacked Moderator
    Yes. Bikes are like fairies. They bring happiness.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How is this even a question? If you don't need the money, why not have 2 mountain bikes to mix it up a bit? Hell, I think you need one or two more. A short-travel FS and/or a longer travel FS. And a park bike. And a ....
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Fixed.
    This:

Not this:

George Orwell

Cycologist
    Fixed.

Thanks! I have enough parts I shouldn't have missed that.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Pipe Dreamer

No, you don't need two, you need three of four at least.

[email protected]
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

High Desert MTBer
    Always a minimum of 2. Personally I only ride the same terrain pretty much, so I will always keep 2 FS bikes that are quite similar. That way, when I pick one off the stand to go for a ride and something ain't right on it, I can put it back, take the other, then fix the first one when I have time later, and when it does not encroach on my riding time.
    Now I have a newer 27.5 in addition to the older 26ers, so I am wondering if I should get a second 27.5 to make 2? Or is 4 too much? I was trying to sell one of the 26ers, my Rize 2 carbon, but it seems no one wants it! Even at the interesting price I was asking... Oh well, It's nice to look at the bikes in the garage at least
    It's all Here. Now.

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
    its ok...i have four....one less than a year old and three sh*tters
    Three shitters? I didn't know you had kids.

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Yes. At a minimum.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

Only two? Poser.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Your Best Friend
    Lamest question ever asked on mtbr.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Always in the wrong gear
    In current form, those two bikes overlap a fair bit, so I can see your dilemma.
    Make the Ritchey a singlespeed. Problem solved.

I can almost guarantee you'll regret selling it.

I love carbon and fancy, blingy bits as much as the next guy, and I think Lefty forks are damned awesome, but there's something unparalleled about a quality steel framed mountain bike.
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

mtbr member
    Three shitters? I didn't know you had kids.
    well three although one is a step son :P

the bikes however 2016 Reign 2006 Kona Stab 2005 Trance 2004 NRS1 ......so you perhaps understand

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you don't ride the ritchey, sell it. any gear i don't use i sell, more stuff more headache.

It's better to buy a new upgraded bike, then sell old bike VS upgrade the old bike anyway.

No good in rock gardens..
    Having owned a Lefty equipped bike...my spare bike came in handy a couple of times when the Lefty had major issues and was away for weeks getting fixed.
    Less isn't MOAR

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Whoever says you don't NEED a mountain bike isn't a mountain biker

I NEED mine. Ask my wife, too long between rides I turn into an a**hole now. It's NEEDED for both physical and mental health.

But I did it a way that was justifiable to the wife so I went from 1 to now 3 bikes.

Trail bike (29er I just replaced with a b+, much more fun)

Fat bike:. Winter time. But also used for family rides (great for towing my youngest) and also bring it when camping. Has a rack so perfect for chasing fire wood and such. Plus doubles as my trail work bike (rack and low gearing)

Road bike: road bike use so I wasn't burning up $120 fat bike tires riding pavement all the time.

Fat bike also can fill in for other 2 when needed.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    I have four bikes and ride them all. In fact the hard-tail I use with alternative wheel-sets depending on the ride, I had fast-rolling tyres on for Saturday as there was nothing too technical and a few miles of road.

If you like both, keep both.

EMBA Member
    I have two bikes, which is nice when one needs repairs, I can take a little time to do it right and not feel the need to cut corners to get back on the trail. Actually wish my second bike was better quality, and am thinking of looking for something on the used market to take the place of my current spare. I don't need a second that is as good as my first, but it'd be nice if it was at least fun to ride, which my current second really isn't. Thinking of a hardtail.

mtbr member
    My wife would be elated if I only had 2 mountain bikes.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    I have 3 currently that I ride: geared HT, SS and fatbike are rigid... and a bunch of parts.

Oh, and I want more, but I especially need more wheelsets...
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    I have 3 mtn bikes and 1 road bike.

- 29er Geared Carbon HT
    - 29er Steel SS HT
    - 27.5 5" FS bike

Plus a road bike

The bike I ride depends on my mood and who I am riding with and trails. I could go into what each bike is ideal for, but in the end it is nice to have options and a back up bike.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Bikesexual
    One more vote for N+1. I have 2 mtbs 1 CX ride all 3 depending on when and where I can ride. 👍
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Cannot believe this is an honest question Seriously, N+1 I own 4 personal bikes that cover the spectrum for the riding I do, Rigid, HT, short travel FS, Mid travel FS, all 29ers, would love to add a proper 29+ rigid. I've acquired them over the years, never sold but one bike in the 13 years I've been MTBing, just not worth the little you'll get after a few years on a bike and most times I've just bought/gotten a new frame and transferred parts from previous bike and then build up the old frame with old parts and then upgrade as I can or as I ride the bike more.

Can't imagine how cool it would be to own a Ritchie, that is a piece of MTB history, even if it only got ridden to head to the store to pick up a few things or general commuting or such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    10 is a good number, just enough. Touring, commuter, winter commuter, fat, mt bikes, some doubles in there too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Between my wife and myself... we have a total of 8 bikes lol. Both of us have a DH, DJ, trail and road bike.

Just a flesh wound
    I have two. I keep them together in the shed at night hoping they will mate. What do you get when a rigid Fat Bike breeds with a 6" travel 27.5? I can't wait to find out!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

Keep on Rockin...
    2 bikes.

A tricked out dually.

A rigid, old steel rig that can be ridden hard and put away wet. Fenders and all.

That second bike is for mud season, or when the the plastic bike is on the stand for repairs. Its a tank but when I ride it there are no worries and I feel liberated. But, when I come back to the plastic bike I'm stronger and I appreciate it more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I like different bikes for different trails, having a spare bike for when I have one apart while doing maintenance, or to loan out to guests.
    This ^^^ except I currently have (4) bikes as you can see in my signature line. Different tools for different projects (trails).
    Carpe Diem!!

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rotarybuddy View Post
    When I was a young teenager I raced mountain bikes and then got out of it and recently started missing it and getting back into it. Some bummer stuff recently happened in my life and I went on a bit of a bike bender and now I have two mountain bikes.

I built a full rigid Ritchey 650B with mid-spec components for that old school charm and it certainly has that. But, then I got a smokin' deal on a Cannondale f-Si Carbon 1 and had to have it. I like riding both, but the Cannondale is obviously a more sophisticated bike and more comfortable. I sort of justified the Dale by saying if I were to upgrade the Ritchey to the same level it would cost as much or more and the Ritchey is the sort of thing you could keep forever, but I could also be kidding myself here.

I am looking for justification or some sense talked into me. I don't necessarily need the money from selling one, but it may not be practical to have these two mountain bikes in addition to my full carbon road bike and commuting bike.
    Yes you need 2 (or more) mountain bikes but no, you don't need 2 hardtails. Sell the Ritchey and buy a trail bike for when you wanna have more fun than your F-Si, an enduro for the high alpine epics, and a DH bike for park days. Then you'll be all set until your time on the trail bike convinces you to sell the F-Si for a FS XC. Then, with an all full suspension quiver, you'll need to buy a rigid bike for that old school feeling so don't lose the guy's contact info who buys your Ritchey.
    #1bikequiver?hahaha
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Instead of "Do I need 2 bikes?", I think the real question is "Can I live with only 2 bikes?", and to that I emphatically answer Hell No!
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Yes. Bikes are like fairies. They bring happiness.
    Well...
    It's obvious that spring fever has hit the women of MTBR.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Yes you need 2 (or more) mountain bikes but no, you don't need 2 hardtails. Sell the Ritchey and buy a trail bike for when you wanna have more fun than your F-Si, an enduro for the high alpine epics, and a DH bike for park days. Then you'll be all set until your time on the trail bike convinces you to sell the F-Si for a FS XC. Then, with an all full suspension quiver, you'll need to buy a rigid bike for that old school feeling so don't lose the guy's contact info who buys your Ritchey.
    #1bikequiver?hahaha

I don’t ever foresee wanting a FS bike, but I totally get not needing two hardtail bikes. I would probably regret selling the Ritchey, but the F-si is a “nicer” bike for not that much more cheddar oddly enough. I’ve been trying to get folks to come riding with me to justify having two, but no luck yet. There goes my plan to lure a guy into mtn biking so he buys me bike presents for my birthday.

mtbr member
    I don’t ever foresee wanting a FS bike....
    That's too bad. You are missing out on a lot of fun. And this is coming from someone with 2 rigid mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    I don’t ever foresee wanting a FS bike..
    I only got mine a couple of years ago they open up the sort of riding you can do. Well, that's not exactly true. You can ride any trail on a hardtail but some of them are a LOT more comfortable, safe and fun on a full-sus. It's very nice being able to look at the trail you'll be riding and take the bike that suits it best.

mtbr member
    OP definitely keep the bikes. I wish wish wish I had kept all my old bikes and snowboards. What a cool collection I would have right now.

Saying that you use to have an old mongoose iboc pro with Ritchey logic tubing is like a tree falling in the woods. If no one saw it, no one really gives a sh*t.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Keep the beater. Ride it to get coffee, or hop curbs on a recovery day, stuff like that.
    Yamaguchi Cross • YT Jeffsy • Salsa Mukluk & Vaya • Canyon Commuter

TRANCER
    2? Lmaooooo
    Ride

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    At one point I had a hundred bikes...then I sold the shop!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Currently 3 bikes in the garage. I have had my 2007 specialized stumpy fsr for almost ten years, and it is my go-to trail bike. I have my first bike, a 1997 specialized stumpy that I converted to SS when the rear derailluer broke. It's a nice backup when the '07 is in the shop waiting for parts, and it sometimes makes boring trails exciting again.

I also have a dedicated DH bike, because riding DH is way more fun with a dedicated long-travel setup. For a while I was lucky to take this one out once a year, but now I get out at least 3-4 times a year with it.

I'd say it depends how much you ride, and what you ride. I am basically a weekend warrior lucky to get 30 rides a year. I almost bought a fuse last year, but its tough to justify another bike when my current stable seemed sufficient and my funds weren't abundant. On the other hand, if you have the $$, and it brings you happiness... why not. Life's short.

mtbr member
    IMO, bikes depreciate so much and so quickly that it's often not worth the effort to try and sell them unless they're only a year or two old.

That said, with 10 bikes between us, if my wife or I ever want to upgrade to something new we NEED to get rid of one or else there's no room in the garage. We've had decent luck giving great deals to friends or taking an oooold bike to the used bike dealer for whatever they were willing to give us.

But it's not about recouping our money, it's about freeing up space.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Yes, it is always good idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    n+1

/Thread
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Ok gents, I just came to my senses after a ride on the Ritchey and futzing around with the Cannondale (and looking at the Lefty service intervals, WTF) and am totally happy having two bikes. I was feeling a little guilty after buying 3 bikes in 6 months including these two mountain bikes. The rigid Ritchey is arguably more fun to ride on all but the longest and most technical rides and I am happy to have it. The f-si is very capable and good, but requires me to mess around with it vs. throw it in the car and go. I wish I had saved my money and used better components on the Ritchey including carbon wheels, but perhaps in time. For now I got two bikes and that’s ok.

Becky

mtbr member
    From what I can tell, the correct answer to most questions is WTF.

mtbr member
    No one needs two bikes, but if you can afford it and have the space, there are some advantages.

I can see a serious biker wanting at least 3 bikes:

Road Bike
    CX/Gravel Bike
    Trail Bike

and an even more serious biker may want:

DH bike
    Pump/DJ Bike
    XC Bike
    BMX Bike
    ETC

A lot of crossover can be had, for instance, a good, modern Enduro-type bike can cover the DH to XC pretty well unless you are racing. And a CX bike can do road duty pretty well.

I found for myself, I don't like drop bar bikes all that much so a rigid MTB with less aggressive tires and longer gearing works for all my road riding, which is pretty much when the trails are wet. I have a more aggressive HT for dedicated trail riding i.e. it sucks on roads - gearing is too low, tires are too knobby and riding position not ideal.

I also like to have a bike handy for when one is being upgraded or repaired and waiting on parts. Since both can do trail duty, this is ideal for me because that is my main focus. If my "road" bike is down, I have no issue skipping that. It's mainly just to keep in shape for trails when I can't ride trails.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

New 2019 Epic HT Expert

Proud owner of a new 2019 Epic HT Expert. 22.5lbs stock w/ pedals, tubeless. I plan to run a dropper and swap the GX eagle derailur and cassette with an XO 11 speed from my trail bike. Should save half a pound.

About to head out for a shakedown ride. May have more mods when i get back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Keep what you ride; donate what you don't.

Whether you *need* more than one bike is the wrong question. Are you getting *utility* out of all your bikes? Keep any bike that you ride regularly. If there's any bike that never gets ridden, donate it so someone else will get enjoyment from it.

When my college student daughter got seriously ill and was rushed to the intensive care unit, I moved to Chicago for four months and lived in Airbnbs. To save on Lyft rides, I purchased an old 3 speed at Working Bikes, a charity bike shop that uses its proceeds to support cycling for low income people. I vividly remember riding away from the shop, the pavement flying beneath my wheels and the wind in my face, because it was the first moment of happiness I'd had in weeks.

Keep the bikes you actually ride, and don't feel guilty about them. But any bike that doesn't get ridden is a waste.

By the way, Chicago is a great bike commuting city, although the drivers there are quite lawless.

Rippin da fAt

Pfft!
    And why not?? Both can be setup for different conditions and riding styles.

Hell, I have two +hardtails, on is a singlespeed with a very slack geometry for out and out play and rowdy time, the other, a geared trail time ride that is awesome too. Add to that, the Wildcat, a full squish + that is like riding a Fleetwood Brougham down a mountain trail. Each are a blast and fill the need to ride exceptionally well. Then there is the Mid-Fat and the Mayor for the fat segment of the collective.

Back to your situation, build the Ritchey more bikepacking oriented or just ride it as is, a rigid does bring a lot to the table, especially when it comes to learning bike handling skills. With a rigid, there is nothing to cover the mistakes thus, you have to practice to progress which can be the best times spent with a bike.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    We are doubling the size of our under-deck walled in storage because the bikes keep mating, and producing offspring. At least that what I told my wife.
    But a few of the new ones are hers, so she certainly is not complaining...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    We are doubling the size of our under-deck walled in storage because the bikes keep mating, and producing offspring. At least that what I told my wife.
    But a few of the new ones are hers, so she certainly is not complaining...
    Hello, my name is rideit, and I'm a bikeaholic... In fact, it runs in the family! Good on ya.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Two bikes? I feel pretty lean having culled the herd to five. I currently have a full-suspension, a bikepacking/race bike, a grocery-getter (Krampus), a gravel bike with a Rohloff, and a fat bike.

And I just pulled the trigger on a Pinion gearbox/Gates carbon belt bikepacking rig so I'm trying to sell the Rohloff and the fat bike. Going to use the current bikepacking bike stripped of all the gear as a gravel bike and I never ride the fat bike.

I think I've bought, kept or sold 20 bikes in the last ten years. I just like bicycles a lot. They're fun to ride and they are beautiful technological artifacts.

My wife has three bikes and my daughter has two so our walk-in basement is getting kind of crowded. I have my shop down there so if we had a cash register it would look like a bike shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    why not?

C8N
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Are there only 1 type of trail?

I have 2 mtbs plus "other" bikes so its a work in progress.... N+1 FTW!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    At minimum 2, plus enough backup parts for a 3rd
    Last edited by klatekin; 5 Days Ago at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo

Wanna ride bikes?

Hell yes.

Next question.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Meatbomb
    I've only ever had one at a time.... Current bike is 7 years old and going strong.

mtbr member
    For the avid mountain biker at least 2 is the requirement. Then if one is in for repairs you ride the other one.......

Have them set up slightly differently for different terrain......
    Though these days my 2 (i have a third hard tail i never use!) are getting pretty damn close in spec...!

Do I need two mountain bikes?-20200301_194700.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    At least two.

with identical wheelset hub spacing and Cassette gear count. Unless one is a SS hardtail, which is wise.

This makes life better. You miss less rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk