mtbr member
    Oct 2017

DIY Repair stand. Ideas?

Hey all,

I was just thinking of making a simple rear wheel stand for chain cleaning etc for some old scraps of wood.
    Im a bit useless at wood work, but as long as its simple I think I can manage.
    Is there any designs or photos of something you can suggest?

It seems that the main problem is resting the chain stays on something & it not getting in the way.

Any ideas? Something like this maybe?

DIY Repair stand. Ideas?-trikestand_open_position.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Before I purchased a proper bike stand, I bought one of these and attached it to any post or wall. I just rested the front of my saddle on it and I was free to pedal and turn the rear wheel to make shifter adjustments. I actually still use it even though i have a bike stand, because of its convenience. When not in use, you and lift it up flat against wall or post. It was $5 at Lowes/Homedepot garden section. It supposed to hold brooms and/or shovels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Repair stand. Ideas?-gray-black-everbilt-pegboards-accessories-01192-64_1000.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Check youtube as well for ideas on DIY stands. Here's one option:

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRidge View Post
    Before I purchased a proper bike stand, I bought one of these and attached it to any post or wall. I just rested the front of my saddle on it and I was free to pedal and turn the rear wheel to make shifter adjustments. I actually still use it even though i have a bike stand, because of its convenience. When not in use, you and lift it up flat against wall or post. It was $5 at Lowes/Homedepot garden section. It supposed to hold brooms and/or shovels.Name:  58C04A73-C0AA-4F05-BC3B-7D0804E3E01E.jpeg
Views: 343
Size:  19.6 KB
    This ^
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Cheap bike repair stands are so good these days I really think it's obtuse to build your own. Fair enough if you have a specific need or just love making stuff but for a few bucks you can buy a stand that will do the job perfectly well and will probably be much better that your DIY effort.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRidge View Post
    Before I purchased a proper bike stand, I bought one of these and attached it to any post or wall. I just rested the front of my saddle on it and I was free to pedal and turn the rear wheel to make shifter adjustments. I actually still use it even though i have a bike stand, because of its convenience. When not in use, you and lift it up flat against wall or post. It was $5 at Lowes/Homedepot garden section. It supposed to hold brooms and/or shovels.
    I'm using something similar, mounted to a post near my back door. It's great to have handy so I don't have to drag out the bike work stand. You can put the bike in the cradle, or you can hook it under the seat. Easy peasy.

Plus it folds up to get it out of the way if you need it to.

DIY Repair stand. Ideas?-rubbermaid-sports-bike-racks-1784457-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...4457/100387746
    What's wrong with him??

Kick Start My Heart
    Rear wheel stand, and full bike stand - both cheap.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Do a search in the tool time forum,lots of ideas.

mtbr member
    Hang it from a tree branch at the saddle.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks guys, some good ideas.
    I have very limited space, a 1.5m wide alley at the side of the house or go into the street (also very narrow)

Mr Pig may well be right. It might be easier to buy something. The reason I didnt do that was because of the shipping for a stand doubles the cost.
    I thought since I have a load of off-cuts lying around I could bang something together.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Cheap bike repair stands are so good these days I really think it's obtuse to build your own. Fair enough if you have a specific need or just love making stuff but for a few bucks you can buy a stand that will do the job perfectly well and will probably be much better that your DIY effort.
    Agree.

I bought my stand like 15 years ago or something for maybe $100 and it is still as good as new. Use it all the time and it folds down so it travels with me.

The time you waste monkeying around trying to build something will more than pay for a decent stand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    oh well too late, i just made this. took about 30 mins. There is no way i am paying $100 !!! for a stand, i was thinking more like $10 ha ha
    Anyway this one cost zero.
    I realise its not beautiful, but i will just use it to clean the chain...

I will put some foam of some kind on top to rest the chain stays on. I should have probably used longer “feet” for better stability.
    I basically cut 3 peices of wood & screwed them together.DIY Repair stand. Ideas?-2b4c0086-571d-41c2-81ca-13de6d5c2864.jpgDIY Repair stand. Ideas?-a0b56929-a793-4e7b-90b0-14bfa44ef229.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riquez View Post
    Anyway this one cost zero.
    Looks like you got your money's worth.

mtbr member
    I applaud your ingenuity and your frugality, but I would be scared to use this for any repair/maintenance. I could see the wheel slipping off and your spokes getting all f'ed up, maybe even breaking.

I've found that using the right tool for the job almost always pays dividends. A decent, consumer grade stand is cheaper than a decent rear wheel and will outlast your current bike.
    Is this where I write something witty?

Hardtail Steel Forever
    If you have one, trailer hitch bike racks work well. Since the bike hangs from the top tube, you can lightly strap it and you can work on the drivetrain without issue.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I made a big stand out of PVC that looked like a giant version of the hillbilly golf (ladderball?) game that people play on the beach for another purpose, but found it was great to hang a bike from the seat while doing basic work. For more in depth tasks you'll want something that locks it in place, but for cleaning and such it's fine. Think it cost me $25 or so in PVC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Looks like you got your money's worth.
    ahh ha ha ha

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I used to just hang the bike on two lengths of cord attached to the rafters in the garage. You can just tie it or create some hooks to attach quickly to the seatpost and bars/ stem.
    I had originally seen it in one of the shops I used buy from, they had a busy workshop and limited space, looked like they did it to save space.