DIY Bike Stand- Mtbr.com

Thread: DIY Bike Stand

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

DIY Bike Stand

These things are all over the internet, and now here's mine!

Notes:
    - Bought the 3/4" pipe clamp, 3/4"x18" black pipe and 3/4" flange at Home Depot for about $23 total. I had left over 2x4s in the garage from another project so that's why I made the rest of the frame from wood.
    - I used a soft wood (birch I think) for the "clamp blocks" so they would have a little "give."
    - I routed out the shape of the clamp components in the wood clamping blocks with a Dremel about 1/8" deep. I then used the steel brush attachment to rough up the paint on the clamp components and glued the wood blocks to the clamp components with Amazing Goop glue.
    - The recycled tube I used for scratch protection works perfectly. No need for a shop rag.

Oh, and here is my PVC rack for my truck. The extra "piece" on the right-most station removes to fit a 26er or 29er. When it's in place, it holds my daughters 20"!

mtbr member
    Looks good! How does the single upright 2x4 hold up to the weight?

I always like seeing homemade stuff. I made a steel rack for 3 bikes several years ago in a friends shop. One of the best/useful things I have made.

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    Looks good! How does the single upright 2x4 hold up to the weight?

I always like seeing homemade stuff. I made a steel rack for 3 bikes several years ago in a friends shop. One of the best/useful things I have made.

-Brett
    It was just a little flexible, hence the gusset support I used from one of the leg scallops, but it's pretty sturdy now. I figure I can always add another 2x4 perpendicular along the back if I need it stiffer. However, tried it with my 26er and 29er (in picture), but I'll admit I just got it built. I mainly built it to hold the bikes while I wash them down after a ride and I haven't done that yet. Stay tuned and I'll update if I need to mod it for any reason...

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman0000 View Post
    These things are all over the internet, and now here's mine!
    Looks good. IMHO, the pipe clamp / wood block jaw design is the crown jewel of the cheap, DIY stand solutions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    Looks good. IMHO, the pipe clamp / wood block jaw design is the crown jewel of the cheap, DIY stand solutions.
    LOL! Yeah, the mechanic at my LBS said "Cool" when I showed him the pics on my phone...

Actually he said "that's cool as sh*t..."

mtbr member
    Very neat! I made a similar one, except I have a shop quality stand to put it in that I'm hoping to bolt to the floor some day.

Here is my clamp

It will go into my stand like this

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Very neat! I made a similar one, except I have a shop quality stand to put it in that I'm hoping to bolt to the floor some day.
    Nice jaws. Epoxied on?
    Last edited by Jman0000; 01-10-2012 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    3M Panel Bonding Adhesive

mtbr member
    Just a quick question for the OP'er, how much did that stand cost, I mean even if you had it laying around you paid for it sometime. I ask that because northern tool sells a bike stand for $49 and is often on sale for $39. It is no Feedback stand but its not bad for a home wrencher. I got mine for $39 and I have had no problems. Nice rack for the money. I know those clamps can be $10-20.
    Check out my blog! The WVPedaler...
    Founding Member of THUMB MTB Club

2016 Trek Top Fuel
    2015 Fuji Altamira Cross

mtbr member
    I know you geared that toward the OP, but just to put in my 2 cents about mine, I have less than $10 in mine completely..

mtbr member
    How much was the pro stand? Was it just given to you? Just wondering. I am just saying there are inexpensive options out there. I have a few homemade items laying around as well and it is awesome making something from scraps, but not all people have the ability to make these things. I like them though.
    Check out my blog! The WVPedaler...
    Founding Member of THUMB MTB Club

2016 Trek Top Fuel
    2015 Fuji Altamira Cross

banned
    Jman, nice job! Nothing more satisfying than building something on the cheap that you'll get a ton of benefit in return.

mtbr member
    Yes, the stand was given to me by my uncle who worked at a shop that got all new stands. He had no use for it and it didn't have any clamps on it. So I made one

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvnrbrts View Post
    Just a quick question for the OP'er, how much did that stand cost, I mean even if you had it laying around you paid for it sometime. I ask that because northern tool sells a bike stand for $49 and is often on sale for $39. It is no Feedback stand but its not bad for a home wrencher. I got mine for $39 and I have had no problems. Nice rack for the money. I know those clamps can be $10-20.
    Clamp, pipe and flange = $23, wood = maybe $5. Thought about the harbor freight one too, but didn't look sturdy enough for me or as easy access all around the bike. Plus, I'm an engineer and love building stuff like this for pleasure
    Last edited by Jman0000; 01-10-2012 at 12:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Subscribed
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Great job and thanks for the post. Think ill start on this project this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeythrottle View Post
    Great job and thanks for the post. Think ill start on this project this weekend.
    Welcome! Post some pics here when you're done! Be sure the wedge cut (for seat post) in your clamp blocks runs across the grain and not with it, or the clamp force will just split them open...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well, finally got to use it last night cleaning up my son's bike. Works really great! I'm happy. Like I said before, it's a little flexible, but it's really not bad at all. When I was running a rag between the cogs on the cassette to degrease/de-grime them, I wished it had just a little more torsional stiffness. However, just putting my knee up against the rear tire stabilized the little bit of shake I was getting. I put a sketch below for a stiffer version with a 4x4 upright instead of a 2x4. The scalloped legs also flex just a little as well, so I stiffened those in the sketch by scalloping only half way up the legs. However, I like the way I have them scalloped in my original build because I'm not tripping on them at all as I move around the bike cleaning it, which was the exact point of the scallops. All in all, I'm really satisfied. If I had to do it all over again, would I build the stiffer version below? Probably not... What I built is pretty light and easy to move around if I want to move it to get better light in an area, all while the bike is still attached! That would be tougher with the weight basically doubled in the sketched version below...

Last edited by Jman0000; 01-12-2012 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvnrbrts View Post
    How much was the pro stand? Was it just given to you? Just wondering. I am just saying there are inexpensive options out there. I have a few homemade items laying around as well and it is awesome making something from scraps, but not all people have the ability to make these things. I like them though.

I made an adjustable pin spanner from a piece of 1/8" x 1/2" bar stock and a couple of nails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I made an adjustable pin spanner from a piece of 1/8" x 1/2" bar stock and a couple of nails.
    Put pics of it here. Show it off!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you ahve a vice

Stand - Imgur

mtbr member
    Georgia Tech right on. Nice bike work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice bike. What model Kona is that?

Lunatic
    Nice job
    SMASH

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

To Hell with Georgia!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy View Post
    Georgia Tech right on. Nice bike work.
    You know that's right

I really wish I could take credit for the idea, but there's several of these "out there." This is just my version. By the way, it's still working great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaTom View Post
    Nice bike. What model Kona is that?
    Thanks

2012 Hei Hei 29 with following upgrades:
    GTK saddle, softest trail saddle I've found so far - bought in bike shop in Brazil
    Mavic TN719 front wheel
    XT cassette
    XT front and rear dérailleurs
    XT shifters
    SRAM X9 crankset 2-ring, 39-26 (very sweet set-up as 2X10)
    RockShox Recon Silver TK Air fork

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfcri View Post
    Nice job
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    LOL, Cool!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    DIY Bike Stand-bike-stand.jpgDIY Bike Stand-img_2326-copy.jpg

This is my DIY stand took more time to shop the parts then to put it together

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    This is my DIY stand took more time to shop the parts then to put it together
    Cool. That's was exactly what I was going to build originally but all the pipe was just too expensive at Home Depot, so I just broke out the table saw and used some leftover 2x4s from another project...

kgr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Another resource for DIYers: Quickie Projects: Make your own bike stand

Might be more affordable to just buy a cheap stand nowadays, but that might at least be a good starting point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman0000 View Post
    Cool. That's was exactly what I was going to build originally but all the pipe was just too expensive at Home Depot, so I just broke out the table saw and used some leftover 2x4s from another project...
    Thanks it definitely does the job. But that's the challenge to create stuff whit what you got nice work

mtbr member
    Nice DIY rack,

And Go Jackets! What's the Good Word?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Thwg

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Nice DIY rack,

And Go Jackets! What's the Good Word?
    TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!

mtbr member
    DIY Bike Stand-imag1342.jpg