DIY bead lock for you rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

DIY bead lock for you rims

Hi

I have modded my carbon rims from light-bicycle.com to make them less prone to burb when setup tubeless and thought I would share it. I have increased the bead seat diameter and added bead locks inspired by the bead lock from the american classic and derby rims.
    The rims that i modded are discussed here: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...ms-673410.html

Before I made this modification I could make a 2.25'' tire burb at pressure below 2bar during aggressive riding. I weigh 84kg. Now the tire does not even burb at 1bar which is significantly lower than what i want to ride on. The added weight is 15gram per wheel and the tires are much easier to mount than with the bontrager strips which are 40gram per wheel.

I did the following to make the applicator tool:
    - Oil on the rim
    - Put fast curing plastic padding to take a cast of the rim profile. The oil makes it easy to remove again. I put in a small handle.
    - On the applicator tool I grinded the bead seat area approximately 1mm down and cut a slit groove (the bead lock/bead bulge)

I did the following to apply the silicone:
    - Covered the spoke holes with a narrow tape.
    - Applied a "construction silicone" (I am not sure what it is called in english). It is only arround 5$.
    - dragged the "mold" along the rim.
    - Let it dry
    - Clean/take off excess material
    - Put on tubeless tape

DIY bead lock for you rims-img_1903.jpgDIY bead lock for you rims-img_1904.jpgDIY bead lock for you rims-img_1911.jpgDIY bead lock for you rims-img_1912.jpgDIY bead lock for you rims-img_1913.jpgDIY bead lock for you rims-img_1914.jpgDIY bead lock for you rims-img_1915.jpgDIY bead lock for you rims-img_1921.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY bead lock for you rims-img_1911.jpg  

DIY bead lock for you rims-img_1921.jpg  

Last edited by BrianBak; 10-11-2013 at 03:52 AM. Reason: making the text clear

transmitter~receiver
    Nice work!
    I think this is worthy of a cross-post to Wheels and Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Carbon & Ti rule
    So how much do they weigh now ?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBak View Post
    Hi

I have modded my carbon rims from light-bicycle.com to make them less prone to burb when setup tubeless and thought I would share it. I have increased the bead seat diameter and added bead locks inspired by the bead lock from the american classic and derby rims.
    The rims that i modded are discussed here: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...ms-673410.html

Before I made this modification I could make a 2.25'' tire burb at pressure below 2bar during aggressive riding. I weigh 84kg. Now the tire does not even burb at 1bar which is significantly lower than what i want to ride on. The added weight is 15gram per wheel and the tires are much easier to mount than with the bontrager strips which are 40gram per wheel.

I did the following:
    - Oil on the rim
    - Make the "mold". Put fast curing plastic padding to take a cast of the rim profile. The oil makes it easy to remove again. I put in a small handle.
    - Grinded the bead seat area approximately 1mm down and cut a slit (the bead lock)
    - Covered the spoke holes with a narrow tape.
    - Applied a "construction silicone" (I am not sure what it is called in english). It is only arround 5$.
    - dragged the "mold" along the rim.
    - Let it dry
    - Clean/take off excess material
    - Put on tubeless tape

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1903.jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	835818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	835819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1911.jpg 
Views:	1019 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	835820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1912.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	835821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1913.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	835822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1914.jpg 
Views:	1450 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	835823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1915.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	835824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1921.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	835825
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

meow meow
    nice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The rims weighed 370 and 372gram before making the wheel and and applying the silicone. I think the rims where lighter than most of the rims others have received from the same company. I weighed the whole wheel before and after and it added approximately 15 gram per wheel. Previously I tried 5-6 layers of tape which did not work very well and added more weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quick question - when you say "Grinded the bead seat area approximately 1mm down", which area do you mean?

I've included this diagram to make it easier identify the part of the rim. Was it the bead hook (section between 33m and 36mm) or the flat surface underneath (area pointed to by BSD559mm)?
    DIY bead lock for you rims-new-26er-rim-33mm-width-.jpg
    Attachment 835938

Name:	new 26er rim with 33mm width    .jpg 
Views:	880 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	835941

p.s. apologies for the attached image - beyond me how to make it appear in the post even after reading the FAQ (why is it so hard to get right?)

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerman76 View Post
    Quick question - when you say "Grinded the bead seat area approximately 1mm down", which area do you mean?

I've included this diagram to make it easier identify the part of the rim. Was it the bead hook (section between 33m and 36mm) or the flat surface underneath (area pointed to by BSD559mm)?
    The bead seat.

p.s. apologies for the attached image - beyond me how to make it appear in the post even after reading the FAQ (why is it so hard to get right?)
    I always use the URL of the image surrounded by [IMG ] tags. On a computer it is pretty easy to use the "upload images" window to host them on mtbr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Awesome

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i

Attachment 835938

Hej DangerMan76

I cannot download your image. The easiest way to see what i cut away is to look at the gap between the mold and rim.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    When you say 'cut a slit' - what do you mean by this - where?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    When you say 'cut a slit' - what do you mean by this - where?
    I think groove is a better word for what i meant and it is the one that creates the bead lock / bead bulge out of the silicone.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianBak View Post
    - Grinded the bead seat area approximately 1mm down and cut a slit groove (the bead lock/bead bulge)
    For everyone's clarity...
    You are talking about grinding, slitting, and grooving your applicator tool made from the plastic padding, right?
    I think some people thought you meant the rim itself.

Nice idea!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    For everyone's clarity...
    You are talking about grinding, slitting, and grooving your applicator tool made from the plastic padding, right?
    I think some people thought you meant the rim itself.

Nice idea!

-F
    Yes, exactly. That was important to clarify

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Iím having burp-issues with the same rim, especially when tire is heavily compressed by landing jums or when hitting rocks/roots all through to the rim.

How is this hack holding up? Do you have to reapply the silicon or will it stay put?
    Iím guessing the tire will stay put when you deflate the tire?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The hack held up fine and worked really well. The tire is better held in place than on a Stans rim which stays in place when deflatedb. After a year or so I removed the tape to fix a spoke which removed some of the silicone. I do not use tubeless anymore since I got tired of the latex fluid. Instead I use the green michellin latex tubes which so far is more robust in terms of flats and weigh almost the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Cool!

Do you think there is any difference between using bathroom silicon and construction silicone? Iím just thinking bathroom-silicon might be more resistant to water/liquid?
    Would be nice to se an image of the finished rim with rim tape. Did you put the rim tape so it covered all the silicone so the tire actually sits on the rim tape inside the bead lock?