discarded bikes or stolen bikes, you decide!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

discarded bikes or stolen bikes, you decide!

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_14376975

I just saw this story on CNN earlier. Guy claims that he picks up discared/unwanted bikes and fixes them up. I find it hard to believe anybody could find so many abandoned bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Why not? That's about an average days trash pick up around here.

mtbr member
    Maybe he grabs bikes that are left locked up at schools during winter breaks.
    :wq

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc

The university here has an auction at the end of the year to sell off the old bikes it has collected. You can get decent bikes for pennies at them I have heard.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    My university keeps the locked up bikes and donates them to our gym on campus and people can rent them for 5 bucks a day (or a buck an hour) and go for a ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    The university here has an auction at the end of the year to sell off the old bikes it has collected. You can get decent bikes for pennies at them I have heard.
    UF does it pretty much monthly online. They auction them in groups of seven.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Seems legit to me. The guy likes fixing up discarded bikes, and those bikes look discarded.

From the article: "These bicycles help keep me sane," he said. "When I'm working on them, everything is so peaceful. Fixing them gives me tranquility."
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

I Have Cookies
    I wouldn't be suprised to see that van going on regular trips to TJ......... Has any one seen those trucks loaded packed with matresses going down to Mexico......
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Hoarding goes mobile!!!

Lots of discarded bikes out there, I do a bike recycling project from the landifll, about 200 or so bikes a year.

GAME ON!
    we had a guy doing that around this area. turns out he was running a huge theft ring and also used his shop as a drug front. there was also a guy in vancouver doing a bike rescue type deal where he'd try to re-unite owners with their stolen bikes.. for a fee. also turns out that he was stealing them and selling them back to the owners. not saying tat is the case here, just saying that it definitely happens.

too cold to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    I remember this from somewhere...
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

the test dummy
    have you ever gone to a town dump? because you can pick up like 10 decent bike in like 30 seconds, and I'm talking about a small, town dump not a city dump.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Members who have read this thread: 0