Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 81 of 81
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672

    Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro

    I had a Performance Bike branded $20 pump that worked better... I got rid of this pump because the PSI was inaccurate, but the Joeblow won't air up tubeless tires like my cheap one did.

    Anyone else have this issue? I'm about to take it back...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    120
    I just bought one of those 3-4 months ago and it seems to work fine for me. The piston action is not as smooth as the old Blackburn pump that I finally wore out, but it works (for now).

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    It works great except for airing up tubeless tires... Not enough air volume going out I guess.

  4. #4
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,331

    Re: Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro

    Try the JB Mountain if you want a floor pump for tubeless tires. Huge volume... low pressure.
    The joblow pro is better suited for road bike tires....high pressure, low volume

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Will have to be something performance bike carries.

    I paid $100 for the JB Pro, not gonna go spend another $100ish for something else. Will be exchanging or accepting that I need to use my compressor for tubeless setups.

  6. #6
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,165
    If you are airing up tubeless tires, either you are using a UST/genuine tubeless setup, OR use an air-compressor and some sort of stans/ghetto tubeless setup. The air compressor is really where it's at though, due to how many variables there are.

    Otherwise, a stupid cheap floor-pump from a department store works as well as most bicycle-shop "brand name" floor pumps in my experience. Higher end floor pumps are better of course, but again at that point you might as well have the compressor.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Using the same wheels/tires/valves/etc the cheap pump worked and the expensive one didn't. That's why I'm upset... I'm using a legit TLR wheel/tire combo and it worked with a floor cheap floor pump but now I have an expensive one I need to break out the compressor. Just a pain...

  8. #8
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,331

    Re: Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Using the same wheels/tires/valves/etc the cheap pump worked and the expensive one didn't. That's why I'm upset... ...
    Why are you upset with the pump? You purchased a pump with the opposite needed specs of what you intended to use it for. Not the pumps fault. Do a tad of research and you'll see that a low pressure high volume pump is what you need. Topeak offers those, as well as others manufacturers. If you are pigeonholed into buying only from Performance then well....still not the pumps fault.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Why are you upset with the pump? You purchased a pump with the opposite needed specs of what you intended to use it for. Not the pumps fault. Do a tad of research and you'll see that a low pressure high volume pump is what you need. Topeak offers those, as well as others manufacturers. If you are pigeonholed into buying only from Performance then well....still not the pumps fault.
    Because in most other aspects of life, the high end model of any category does everything that low end models do and then some, ALSO specializing in their specific category. So, at that price point, it shouldn't matter. You shouldn't have to do a bunch of research when paying that much for a simple tool.

    I feel like $100 for a floor pump should do EVERYTHING well. My damn compressor cost less than that!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Will have to be something performance bike carries.

    I paid $100 for the JB Pro, not gonna go spend another $100ish for something else. Will be exchanging or accepting that I need to use my compressor for tubeless setups.
    Good luck with performance bike... you could have picked up the Pro 2 for $20 cheaper from universalcycles.. and you could have gotten the Joe Blow Mountain (which is the pump you want for airing up mountain tires) for $40
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Need it to get to 110-120psi for my road bike too so the mountain one won't work for me.

    Am I the only one who thinks it's unreasonable to expect that a $100 pump does EVERYTHING that a $30 pump does and then some? Would seriously none of you be upset if you spent 3x as much and it did less than the cheap model?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,434
    What I don't understand is that if you are doing a lot of tubeless, and HAVE a compressor, what the hell do you need a floor pump for tubeless setup for?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11
    You bought the wrong pump. That's not something to be mad at the pump about. It's cool that your old pump did everything you needed it to, the new one probably works better for inflating road tires at the cost of not being useable for the niche purpose of seating tubeless tires.
    Was it sold to you or labelled as being suitable for seating tubeless tires? If not, then I don't get why you're mad at the pump because an assumption you made turned out to be incorrect.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Principle/convenience.

    1.) Convenience -- compressor means going out to the garage, getting the compressor out, waiting for it to fill up, getting the hose out, and using a floor pump to fine tune pressure anyway. It's extra steps that shouldn't be necessary.

    2.) Principle -- I spent 3x as much to get something that works less well than what I had, honestly who wouldn't be less than thrilled about that?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by gregggy View Post
    You bought the wrong pump. That's not something to be mad at the pump about. It's cool that your old pump did everything you needed it to, the new one probably works better for inflating road tires at the cost of not being useable for the niche purpose of seating tubeless tires.
    Was it sold to you or labelled as being suitable for seating tubeless tires? If not, then I don't get why you're mad at the pump because an assumption you made turned out to be incorrect.
    Once again, because in all other aspects of consumer products, the high end/expensive product always does everything the cheap model does AND what it specializes in. Spending 3x as much money typically gets you out of having to research specific application and usability.

    Seriously... would you buy an XTR drivetrain and think twice about it doing everything the Alivio drivetrain does? Why would it possibly do LESS?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11
    Would you buy a Dura-Ace derailleur and expect it to work better on a mountain bike than SLX just because it costs more?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by gregggy View Post
    Would you buy a Dura-Ace derailleur and expect it to work better on a mountain bike than SLX just because it costs more?
    Excluding the shadow+ model SLX? Yes, yes I would. But not because of cost, because it's a more prestigious and reputable brand/model.

    It's not like volume is exclusively beneficial to mountain bikes.

  19. #19
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    Wait what??? Both are Shimano....wow. *bangs head on wall*. couldn't help but make fun of this cause im a "noob" and know more.

    Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Wait what??? Both are Shimano....wow. *bangs head on wall*. couldn't help but make fun of this cause im a "noob" and know more.

    Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    My point exactly, are you that blind?

    Imagine that Alivio is made by Walmart brand and XTR is made by a prestigious brand. Would you honestly not be upset that the crap store brand performed better than what is perceived as a quality brand when you shelled out extra for the good stuff?

  21. #21
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    Except ur comparing things wrong. Dura ace is Shimano road, slx is Shimano mtb.

    Comparing WalMart and xtr is again not same . Apples to oranges isnt a comparrison at all in this case. An xtr 10speed isn't going to do an 8speed system, the cheap WalMart one would function better for 8speed than the xtr would cause each is specialized for its task. JUST AS UR PUMP

    And tbh, my comment was at u, cause what it saying makes 0 sense to anyone with middle school or higher education. sorry

    Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Excluding the shadow+ model SLX? Yes, yes I would. But not because of cost, because it's a more prestigious and reputable brand/model.

    It's not like volume is exclusively beneficial to mountain bikes.
    Low volume makes it easier to achieve high pressure, it's a tradeoff. If I bought a pump (or anything) that didn't work for a specific need, I would be upset with myself for not doing any research to determine if it would work or not. The only way I would be upset with the pump would be if it said, "Works Great For Tubeless Tires!".
    Dura-ace won't work with a mountain cassette, by the way, which was my point.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Except ur comparing things wrong. Dura ace is Shimano road, slx is Shimano mtb.

    Comparing WalMart and xtr is again not same . Apples to oranges isnt a comparrison at all in this case. An xtr 10speed isn't going to do an 8speed system, the cheap WalMart one would function better for 8speed than the xtr would cause each is specialized for its task. JUST AS UR PUMP

    And tbh, my comment was at u, cause what it saying makes 0 sense to anyone with middle school or higher education. sorry

    Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    You want to talk education? I have a masters degree, which I would die of shock if you also had.

    I'm talking simple logic here. You would GENUINELY not be upset if you spent THREE TIMES as much for something as basic as a floor pump, and your outgoing cheap model performed better? If you can honestly say that, you're a sheep, pure and simple. There is nothing, for my purposes, that the expensive model does better. That upsets me, simple. If it wouldn't upset you, I simple can't relate to that and it doesn't mean that I'm wrong.

    I'm buying a FLOOR PUMP, not something to perform heart surgery on myself. It's a simple enough product that quality should increase in a linear fashion with price. The same way that, to an extent, most bike parts follow. Excluding snobby brands, most products increase linearly with price. I'd be shocked if much of the world wouldn't expect at least SOME quality increase when you spend 3x as much and I got ZERO, that's why I'm upset. Not only did I not get an increase, I got a DECREASE.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by gregggy View Post
    Low volume makes it easier to achieve high pressure, it's a tradeoff. If I bought a pump (or anything) that didn't work for a specific need, I would be upset with myself for not doing any research to determine if it would work or not. The only way I would be upset with the pump would be if it said, "Works Great For Tubeless Tires!".
    Dura-ace won't work with a mountain cassette, by the way, which was my point.
    I brought back my cheap floor pump because it didn't accurately read pressure (defective in my book, it read 50psi as 25psi so I was unknowingly running DANGEROUSLY high pressure) and splurged on the "expensive" model. In most areas of life, this is a "get out of researching" move. If you were buying components and had an X5 groupset, you could buy an XTR groupset and get everything you had and then some with the X5 setup. I could provide examples all night long with how this method works. I'm simply upset because regardless of the application, a $100 pump (which, once again, costs MORE than my compressor) should do EVERYTHING well.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11
    Your expectations are unreasonable. A cheap pump is much more likely to be intended to blow up wal-mart mountain bike tires or even car tires, thus higher volume. Doesn't mean it's "better performing", just that it does one thing better than a more expensive version.You got the wrong thing, you can return it right? Not a big deal. Paying lots of money is no substitute for taking fifteen minutes to read a few reviews. There are tons of expensive but crappy products out there. And often, the more expensive version is more specialized.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Lol, expecting performance out of a $100 bike pump is hardly unreasonable. It's not a car, it's a BIKE PUMP, a very simple and should be cheap item. How many performance metrics for a bike pump are there? 2, maybe 3? It needs to inflate, display pressure, and.....? My cheap pump did both (albeit one inaccurately), and my expensive pump does one.

    It would be like exchanging your 25 cent mechanical pencil for a $5 one that doesn't erase.

  27. #27
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    With all due respect, the Joe Blow Pro is better suited to inflating road bike tires with its 160 psi, a better choice would have been the Joe Blow Mountain with its higher volume. If its not the right tool for the job it doesn't matter how much you spent on it.

  28. #28
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    Masters, no. Well rounded education yes. Not going to compare papers on a wall. But common sense seems I have alot more of, not the whole more money than brains problem u seem to have.

    I would be mad at MYSELF for not making sure what I bought was what I needed. My own damn fault. Tubeless equals need for volume, not pressure. Same as inflating a car tire. If u had read details of what ur buying its simple to know that ain't going to do a damn thing unless beads are seated already. Pump are set for either high pressure or high volume as avg human can only lay down so much power. To achieve high pressure with that power less volume can moved

    Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11
    I can't figure out how to delete this post, but I basically wrote exactly what the guy above me said so I'll give it a rest.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Masters, no. Well rounded education yes. Not going to compare papers on a wall. But common sense seems I have alot more of, not the whole more money than brains problem u seem to have.

    I would be mad at MYSELF for not making sure what I bought was what I needed. My own damn fault. Tubeless equals need for volume, not pressure. Same as inflating a car tire. If u had read details of what ur buying its simple to know that ain't going to do a damn thing unless beads are seated already. Pump are set for either high pressure or high volume as avg human can only lay down so much power. To achieve high pressure with that power less volume can moved

    Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk
    Sorry but being able to spare $70 (extra compared to the cheap model) on a tool that allows you to ride your bike is hardly "more money than brains", it's called wanting quality products. And with an MBA, I'm not really lacking in brains either. If you're on this forum to begin with, I feel like it would go without saying that you can spare $70 for quality. Mountain biking is an expensive hobby and $70 is not even a drop in the bucket of cost.

    The pump, nor the employee at the LBS, said anything about it being incapable of inflating a tubeless tire. I specifically said that I wanted more than what I had, and was recommended this product. It sounded clear by the LBS employee's recommendation, that it would do EVERYTHING that my other pump did and then some.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Also, for what it's worth, all of the reviews say "high volume per stroke", so I'd be right where I am now even if I had done research.

  32. #32
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Also, for what it's worth, all of the reviews say "high volume per stroke", so I'd be right where I am now even if I had done research.

    Not necessarily. With a modicum of searching on these forums you could have had a half dozen solid recommendations as well as a more complete understanding of your real needs.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11
    If it was specifically recommended for seating tubeless tires then I would be upset with the shop employees for recommending it. If not, well, it's a niche use and Performance isn't exactly known for having the most informed employees.
    Assuming that spending $100 rather than taking fifteen minutes to read a few reviews to find a reasonably priced pump that will inflate tubeless tires is a pretty good example of having "more money than brains". There are tons of solid pumps available for $30, and you could have simply found one that has been confirmed to work with tubeless tires.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    I'm not sure why this is so hard to convey... I could both achieve high pressures for my road bike tires AND inflate tubeless mountain tires with the same cheap pump, why wouldn't I be able to accomplish the same thing with a higher end pump?

    I felt like I was paying extra in order to have a smart head and a more accurate gauge, not lose "taken for granted" functions that I felt ALL pumps should have if a cheap pump has it.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by gregggy View Post
    If it was specifically recommended for seating tubeless tires then I would be upset with the shop employees for recommending it. If not, well, it's a niche use and Performance isn't exactly known for having the most informed employees.
    Assuming that spending $100 rather than taking fifteen minutes to read a few reviews to find a reasonably priced pump that will inflate tubeless tires is a pretty good example of having "more money than brains".
    I almost always thoroughly research products, but when I first got into MTB and bought a cheap pump that worked for everything, I assumed a higher end product would do everything the cheap one did and then some. That methodology has never failed me until now.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    ...And with an MBA, I'm not really lacking in brains either....
    Lol.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    11
    To be honest, I was kind of suprised when I bought my floor pump with how low volume it is...but it works great on my road bike and OK on my non-tubeless mountain bike tires. Higher end products are frequently more specialized. I mean, it's at least easier to air up road tires right? Maybe enough so that someone weaker than you might struggle with your old pump? It's just a compromise that every pump-maker makes.
    It's just kind of funny that you seem to think that spending x amount will get you a product that does everything better with no compromises.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Lol.
    Brilliant commentary, James Carville.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by gregggy View Post
    To be honest, I was kind of suprised when I bought my floor pump with how low volume it is...but it works great on my road bike and OK on my non-tubeless mountain bike tires. Higher end products are frequently more specialized. I mean, it's at least easier to air up road tires right? Maybe enough so that someone weaker than you might struggle with your old pump? It's just a compromise that every pump-maker makes.
    It's just kind of funny that you seem to think that spending x amount will get you a product that does everything better with no compromises.
    It's seriously not better at anything than my cheap pump besides "looking good".

  40. #40
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    Here's a question for everyone reading this, if u have an MBA or and college degree, isn't the first thing u learn is to do proper and full research before coming to a conclusion??? I mean hell 100 on a pump, really, my $20 pump from walmart does what I need it to my $80 compressor does the rest. The gotta spend money on everything to have good quality or its junk mentality of ppl is plain stupid. Spend it where quality is much more important, the bike itself.

    And with the fact this dude called mtbing a hobby... Riding ain't a hobby its a way of life. If irs a hobby to you then u failed urself and ur bike on day 1. Collecting bikes or building models is a hobby. (sorry hate that my wife got a 1hr lecture over making that statement to me).

    Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by gregggy View Post
    To be honest, I was kind of suprised when I bought my floor pump with how low volume it is...but it works great on my road bike and OK on my non-tubeless mountain bike tires. Higher end products are frequently more specialized. I mean, it's at least easier to air up road tires right? Maybe enough so that someone weaker than you might struggle with your old pump? It's just a compromise that every pump-maker makes.
    It's just kind of funny that you seem to think that spending x amount will get you a product that does everything better with no compromises.
    All of the Topeak pumps are low volume except for the mountain and the Ace.
    And they all work well. The differences are in the materials, finish, gauge location and head type. Even the $40 Sport can seat and inflate my tubeless tires. I do have a Mountain ($50), too, simply because it inflates quicker. The more expensive models are just jewelry with no additional functionality or durability.

    Pump gauges are approximations. Use a separate gauge if you need to be precise.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  42. #42
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,331
    You want to talk education? I have a masters degree
    I think we've all gone to school with really stupid smart people. I'm not insinuating you are one of those people but parading your paper documents on the net while continuing to drone on and on about how more money = better product only helps to convey your lack of "street smarts'', for lack of a better term.

    If I were you I'd return the pump, take a deep breath and ride my bike.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    I was pointing out that it's idiotic to define someone's intelligence by how much they research something as trivial as bike pumps.

    I'd be more justified defining his intelligence by his poor grammar and spelling, but I didn't because I'm not a child.

  44. #44
    Colorado
    Reputation: ltspd1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    401
    On this forum any one throwing around the fact they have this degree or that as a way to bolster his/her argument is headed for trouble.......

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    353
    I agree that this is no fault of the pump's.

    If it's needed for seating the tyre bead, then there is a ghetto way of doing it indirectly.

    Basically, you make a compressor out of a 2L plastic coke/pepsi bottle (or any container than originally held pressurised substances), 2 presta valves (eg from old inner tubes), a length of tubing and, optionally, a ball valve.

    Pump air into the plastic bottle up to 250PSI or whatever your pump can handle (300PSI+ if you're daring), connect to valve on the wheel and release the air - viola, instant seating and tyre inflation.

    Do a google search for "plastic bottle ghetto compressor" for details on how to make one.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by standard3x View Post
    I agree that this is no fault of the pump's.

    If it's needed for seating the tyre bead, then there is a ghetto way of doing it indirectly.

    Basically, you make a compressor out of a 2L plastic coke/pepsi bottle (or any container than originally held pressurised substances), 2 presta valves (eg from old inner tubes), a length of tubing and, optionally, a ball valve.

    Pump air into the plastic bottle up to 250PSI or whatever your pump can handle (300PSI+ if you're daring), connect to valve on the wheel and release the air - viola, instant seating and tyre inflation.

    Do a google search for "plastic bottle ghetto compressor" for details on how to make one.
    I already own a compressor, that's not the problem.

    IMO (and that may be the problem), a high end pump of any category should be better at everything than a crappy entry level pump does and then some. That's all.

    The cheap pump isn't DESIGNED for seating tubeless tires, but it does. The expensive pump isn't designed for it either, and it doesn't. THAT is my qualm.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975
    if the cheap pump was so amazing, why did you replace it with one that was 3 times more money in the first place?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  48. #48
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I already own a compressor, that's not the problem.

    IMO (and that may be the problem), a high end pump of any category should be better at everything than a crappy entry level pump does and then some. That's all.

    The cheap pump isn't DESIGNED for seating tubeless tires, but it does. The expensive pump isn't designed for it either, and it doesn't. THAT is my qualm.
    You did not do your research. The expensive pumps are nicer, better looking, but no more effective. Just means the cheap pumps are a bargain.

    No different than that fancy pickup truck not carrying 10 sheets of plywood any better than the basic cheap version of the truck.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smithcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    603
    Disappointed with Silk Shirt

    So, for a year or so now I've been wearing this cheap flannel shirt I bought at Walmart. Doesn't look great but keeps me warm. If it gets too hot I roll up the sleeves and I'm good to go. A couple weeks back I decided to upgrade my shirt and figured I would buy the best one out there. I spent a ton of money on the best short sleeve silk shirt I could find. I figured if that cheap flannel worked well, the silk shirt would have to be better since it cost like ten times as much. Well, it's not. It's ok when it's hot out, but it's totally useless when it's cold. I'm freezing my nipples off and I'm really pissed that this shirt, which in case I forgot to mention, costs like ten times as much, just isn't living up to the price I paid for it, which was like ten times as much. To top it off, I gave my flannel shirt to some bum on the street, now he's toasty warm and I might have to call a doctor because my nips have been hard for like three days and I'm pretty sure there's some rule about calling a doctor after four hours or something. Anyway, save your money and don't buy silk no matter what the ads say about comfort and style, they aren't warm and they cost like ten times as much.

  50. #50
    heaven help me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,886
    ^^ Finally, a breath of fresh air.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Lol, no. It's a shitty analogy.

    It's not clothing, which has far more variation. It's a bike pump. It goes up and down to concentrate air in a single location.

    The LBS employee recommended it, which admittedly is less research than I usually do, but should be all I need for such a simple product.

  52. #52
    Rabid Lana Fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,835
    Well, are you willing to accept (now) that there is a difference between high-volume/low-pressure and low-volume/high-pressure bike pumps?


    Or are you holding fast to your assertation that there is no difference in bike pumps?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  53. #53
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    For an "intelligent" person he sure appears to be clueless.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Of course there's a difference. I'm just peeved that 1.) the bike shop employee recommended it based on my needs 2.) it's 2014 and pumps aren't doing both well (maybe even with a switch to change modes?)

    I used the cheap pump for both road and mountain bikes without issue. Just annoying that a perceived "better" model isn't any better at anything and worse at some things.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    For an "intelligent" person he sure appears to be clueless.
    Better than being a sheep like you who apparently accepts poor performance from expensive products.

  56. #56
    Rabid Lana Fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,835
    You have gained some valuable experience with this whole deal. You may have encountered a situation where a retail establishment, even though they may claim to have the customer's best intrests in mind, were really just looking out for their bottom line.

    It happens.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  57. #57
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Better than being a sheep like you who apparently accepts poor performance from expensive products.



    You funny. I don't accept poor performance anymore than I accept off hand recommendations from strangers. You did not do your due diligence nor did you know jack shit about the subject and blindly followed the advice of some counter monkey. Who's the sheep?

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    You want to talk education? I have a masters degree, which I would die of shock if you also had.
    Too bad that fancy degree didn't give you the skills you needed to pick out the right pump.

    Or teach you to admit when you've made a mistake and move on, rather than getting angry, blaming others, and bragging about a piece of paper that has nothing to do with the discussion.

    Did you also buy a Porsche then to go the Porsche forums and complain that it's not good at off-roading? Because if you buy the best it should be good at everything, right?

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    As a follow up to this... I took it back and got a Spin Doctor Team HP Floor Pump.

    The Topeak wouldn't even begin to inflate tubeless when pumping as fast as I could. This one seated tubeless with very slow effortless pumps, no harder than inflating a tube.

    And before anyone says the Topeak is for a different purpose, this pump that costs half as much goes to a much higher pressure too (160 vs 260psi IIRC). So it's better at high pressure, high volume, and costs half as much.

    That's why I was disappointed in the Topeak, that's all.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    46
    Nice follow-up.
    While looking around for pumps a couple weeks ago, I stumbled across this. I thought it was an interesting idea, and applies directly to your Spin Dr.
    From this thread, post # 25:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/does...ck-830536.html

    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I have a performance bike Spin Doctor Team HP floor pump that I picked up when it was on sale for like 20 or 30 bucks I think. It has a universal head that suppossedly adjusts for both Presta and Schrader valves but I rarely use it for Schrader valve.
    A while back the needle on the gauge fell off while the pump was knocking around in my car. I disassembled the gauge and put the needle back put the gauge never read right after I did that. It was somewhat annoying but the gauge wasn't that useful anyway even when it did work since it reads up to 260 psi but I never pump my MTB tires past 30 psi unless I'm trying to seat a tubeless tire.

    Anyway, after reading this thread, I had the idea that I should change the gauge to something that has a lower range and is more accurate so this is what I did today:




    I bought a Reed AHNC 0-100 psi gauge from amazon for 20 bucks. The original plan was to just swap out the broken gauge with this new one but the original gauge had a 1/8 connection while the new gauge is 1/4(and I couldn't find anything online that had a 2-1/2 inch gauge with 1/8 connection).
    After I saw the new gauge I started thinking maybe I should have gotten the 0-60 psi gauge instead but the problem is I have an occasional need to pump tires up to 70-80 psi and with the 0-60 psi gauge I wouldn't be able to do that. So then I thought what if I just put a quick connect on there and that way I can swap out the gauges quickly if I need to. So, the above was the result.
    So far I only have the 0-100 psi gauge, the 0-60 is on order but I checked the gauge against my schwalbe digital gauge and for psi over 30 its like less than 1psi difference while under 30 psi I get maybe 1-2 psi difference. I'm hoping the 0-60 gauge will be more accurate under 30 psi.

    Replacing the gauge was pretty easy, just un-do 3 bolts on the bottom of the pump and then unscrew the air hose and remove gauge with wrench and install adapters and quick connect and done.
    It doesn't look pretty but I figure with the quick connect when I put my pump in the car I can remove the gauge and put it some where safer.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: time229er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    973
    personally I have found Topeak products to be built to a very high standard...I own their pocketshock pump, alien II, air booster and joeblow tire pump. I also use their app panobike on my iPhone...having said that, I believe my satisfaction is due to the fact that they are the correct tools for my application...you might have been as well off using your shock pump on your tires.

    I think we have about beat this thread to death good luck in any case

    edit...forgot, last week bought their Prepstand Elite...great high quality product!
    Last edited by time229er; 03-25-2014 at 03:45 PM.
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

  62. #62
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,233
    I have a joe blow and it does all my tires fine. from 180psi Olympic II sewups to 8lbs pugsley knards. don't see an issue with mine. ymmv mine is 6 years old


    I just checked out the joe blow pro, that is a crappy design. I would not buy a pump built like that...all guts and gauge should be in one central spot surrounded by heat dispersing metal. 180 is the absolute over limit of my pump and it gets super hot.

    I do have a dedicated silca pump for high pressure.

    but I just have the generic joe blow for everything and only thing I have had to do is replace chuck and tighten the stupid plastic knob at the bottom
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 03-25-2014 at 12:01 PM.

  63. #63
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    33,912
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    personally I have found Topeak products to be built to a very high standard...I own their pocketshock pump, alien II, air booster and joeblow tire pump. I also use their app panobike on my iPhone...having said that, I believe my satisfaction is due to the fact that they are the correct tools for my application...you might have been as well off using your shock pump on your tires.

    I think we have about beat this thread to death good luck in any case
    Same here I've used Topeak products for 14 years and will agree they are of the highest standard. I have the Alien multi tool, Joe Blow floor pump, Two Timer mini pump Co2 combo and digital air pressure gauge. All have worked perfect for the job they were intended to do. I highly recommend all the above products and any other product they make I can assure it is high quality piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Same here I've used Topeak products for 14 years and will agree they are of the highest standard. I have the Alien multi tool, Joe Blow floor pump, Two Timer mini pump Co2 combo and digital air pressure gauge. All have worked perfect for the job they were intended to do. I highly recommend all the above products and any other product they make I can assure it is high quality piece.
    Can you expand upon "highest standard"? Do they last longer than other pumps? Can you drop it from higher off the ground without it breaking? Because from what I've seen they do nothing better than the cheap pumps.

    I don't really care that seating tubeless tires isn't its specialty when there are products out there that do BOTH high pressure AND high volume (even higher in this case) for half the price. Specializing in high pressure is NOT a benefit in that situation when other products do both.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Can you expand upon "highest standard"? Do they last longer than other pumps? Can you drop it from higher off the ground without it breaking? Because from what I've seen they do nothing better than the cheap pumps.

    I don't really care that seating tubeless tires isn't its specialty when there are products out there that do BOTH high pressure AND high volume (even higher in this case) for half the price. Specializing in high pressure is NOT a benefit in that situation when other products do both.

    Great job in bumping your own thread, that way everyone who hasnt seen it has a chance to ridicule you some more.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Great job in bumping your own thread, that way everyone who hasnt seen it has a chance to ridicule you some more.
    I was posting a follow-up, which at least one person appreciated.

    I posted a product that does everything the Topeak does AND MORE for HALF THE COST. Ridicule me all you want. Everyone joining in on it is just announcing that they went full retard by overpaying for inferior product. Nobody thus far has given ONE thing the Topeak does better unless "costing more" is a goal.

  67. #67
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Can you expand upon "highest standard"? Do they last longer than other pumps? Can you drop it from higher off the ground without it breaking? Because from what I've seen they do nothing better than the cheap pumps.

    I don't really care that seating tubeless tires isn't its specialty when there are products out there that do BOTH high pressure AND high volume (even higher in this case) for half the price. Specializing in high pressure is NOT a benefit in that situation when other products do both.
    The real point (as related many time previously) is you bought one of the most expensive ($100) Topeak pumps, without doing due research, and it functions no better than the $30-40 Topeak models. And the "cheap" Topeaks are reliable, durable, capable, and functional. There is no reason for any bicycle tire pump to be able to exceed 150psi.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,672
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The real point (as related many time previously) is you bought one of the most expensive ($100) Topeak pumps, without doing due research, and it functions no better than the $30-40 Topeak models. And the "cheap" Topeaks are reliable, durable, capable, and functional. There is no reason for any bicycle tire pump to be able to exceed 150psi.
    I went off the salesman's advice, everyone has done that at least once. I already admitted that I usually do more research than that but honestly $100 isn't a big deal to me. Especially on a product that I feel is simply enough that it doesn't warrant massive amounts of research. I returned it and now have a pump that does everything I could ever want. My point of the thread was just WHY does it cost that much if there is no tangible benefit? I was hoping someone would shed some light on an actual benefit it provided over the cheaper pumps.

    I actually do have a benefit to a pump exceeding 150psi--inflating my rear shock to the 230psi I need it at

  69. #69
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,233
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    There is no reason for any bicycle tire pump to be able to exceed 150psi.
    ^ highly incorrect. I regularly run above 160 on my road bike when using conti tubulars when I focus on TT work. 180 for actual TT's. like riding steel rails and stand the hell back when they sometimes explode on debris.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro


  71. #71
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    ^ highly incorrect. I regularly run above 160 on my road bike when using conti tubulars when I focus on TT work. 180 for actual TT's. like riding steel rails and stand the hell back when they sometimes explode on debris.
    And the tires ride like crap and have higher rolling resistance than they should.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  72. #72
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I went off the salesman's advice, everyone has done that at least once. I already admitted that I usually do more research than that but honestly $100 isn't a big deal to me. Especially on a product that I feel is simply enough that it doesn't warrant massive amounts of research. I returned it and now have a pump that does everything I could ever want. My point of the thread was just WHY does it cost that much if there is no tangible benefit? I was hoping someone would shed some light on an actual benefit it provided over the cheaper pumps.
    I pointed that out too. The pump looks nicer and feels more substantial because of the more expensive materials.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  73. #73
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,233
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    And the tires ride like crap and have higher rolling resistance than they should.
    depends on the quality of the surface. I happen to have a freshie paved 10 mile TT course I can use and only about 12 cracks in it for the whole 10 miles

    but ya got me, not many peeps go up above 120 unless they have access to a drome

  74. #74
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    Disappointed with Topeak Joeblow Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    depends on the quality of the surface. I happen to have a freshie paved 10 mile TT course I can use and only about 12 cracks in it for the whole 10 miles

    but ya got me, not many peeps go up above 120 unless they have access to a drome
    Have you actually tested different pressures to see what is faster on that still relatively rough "freshie" pavement?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  75. #75
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,233
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Have you actually tested different pressures to see what is faster on that still relatively rough "freshie" pavement?
    I know what you mean if they bounce, that is wasted. like i am far faster on the mtb at 30psi than 35 psi on my 29'er because it conforms better.

    this chunk I use was repaved and smooth as butter so I said wow I can play track on this I bet...I have not measured this with extra equipment, just my best times happen to be on extreme pressure but the bike does rattle me.

    I have run the same course at 120, 160, and 180 and yes I -feel- slower on 120 but that might be because it is more comfortable. but i haven't gone and tried it again since getting olympic II's and pumping way up either....if I kept at 120 and kept doing the same TT it will feel better but in my mind my brakes are dragging...could all be mental and I hammer more when it's pumped way up....

    I am not 100% sure about it.

    but I will pump them up for 10 mile TT, compared to my usual road ride pressure is 110-140 on tubies, and on clinchers I run 95-120. for a really long ride like 100 miles I will put them at 95-100 because boneshaking


    anyhow, related to the post about joe blow pumps suck. mine handles all this pressure fine. never gave me crap. but a nice leather piston silca pump beats all pumps IMHO

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Better than being a sheep like you who apparently accepts poor performance from expensive products.
    Dude if you really have an MBA, you SHOULD know that more expensive product does not equal product with more value.
    And BTW I have MD and PhD degrees so you're all stupid

  77. #77
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    33,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Can you expand upon "highest standard"? Do they last longer than other pumps? Can you drop it from higher off the ground without it breaking? Because from what I've seen they do nothing better than the cheap pumps.
    Well here we go with some expansion for ya.
    When I said highest standard I was talking about the Topeak products as a whole. Every Topeak product [4 total] I have owned in the 14 years of buying them I STILL own and they are all still working flawlessly. That is because Topeak builds high quality product and only releases it if it is to the highest standard. By the way I have a Joe Blow pump that is used year round since 2008' without any problems. It pumps up MTB tires for which it was designed to do over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9
    I have the same pump and I am equally annoyed. The thing is Topeak say nothing on their website or marketing materials about it not being suitable for low pressures. It only states the maximum range of pressure. Also, in their marketing they show the pump being used on MTB tyres. It is being marketed as a pump suitable for road and mtb tyres and yet one of its main functions (using the gauge to read pressure) is not suitable for MTB tyres.

  79. #79
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,614
    I have the Joe Blow Fat pump. It has higher volume and the gauge shows high and low pressure. I used it to set the beads on 10 or 12 tires and only had one failure so far.
    No moss...

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MikeDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,909
    I've got two Joe Blow pumps. I think they're great and parts are available for them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  81. #81
    Flat Pluto Society
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    16,309
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Same here I've used Topeak products for 14 years and will agree they are of the highest standard. I have the Alien multi tool, Joe Blow floor pump, Two Timer mini pump Co2 combo and digital air pressure gauge. All have worked perfect for the job they were intended to do. I highly recommend all the above products and any other product they make I can assure it is high quality piece.
    Still bloviating after all these years.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Similar Threads

  1. disappointed: new Fox 32 F29 RLC just sucks
    By BoulderGeek in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM
  2. Disappointed with Maxxis TR
    By Douger-1 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-22-2013, 08:52 PM
  3. A little disappointed in my decision
    By jazzanova in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 02:10 AM
  4. Topeak JoeBlow Pro vs Turbo
    By JimmyNeutron10101 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 11:49 AM
  5. Disappointed with myself
    By Marko G in forum The ReCycle Bin
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Members who have read this thread: 59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.