mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Wink Direct Drive Trainer Question

Hi all,

Newbie here, thanks in advance for your help. I haven't seen this topic covered in depth since a 2017 post...if I missed something more current, please direct me.

I ride a 2017 Yeti SB5, Eagle XO, and this is my only bike. Looking to get a direct drive trainer.

My questions are as follows:

1. Which brands/products do you recommend that will accommodate an NX cassette and a 148mm thru axle? Wahoo said that officially, their Kickr products have not been tested with an NX cassette. Having trouble dropping the $ without having some better confirmation...my knowledge of freehubs and how all these things fit together is really limited. Separately, I am assuming I cannot use the included 11-sp cassette that comes with some of these trainers - is this accurate?

2. I'm looking at gently used products, so any folks who have experience using NX cassettes with earlier generation products (1-2 years old) would be really helpful.

3. What else should I know? No experience yet with Zwift or any of the other luxuries currently available with these products. Just willing to make the investment and again, want the direct drive.

Thanks in advance.

Never trust a fart
    I'd go with the Cycleops Hammer. Direct drive and accepts Shimano hub or the XD driver.

https://www.cycleops.com/product/h2

Includes a Shimano splined freehub for compatibility with Shimano 8-11 speed cassettes. XD freehubs are also available and sold separately

Give them a call.

EAT MORE GRIME
    if you cannot find something....

honestly I'd buy a used up, crap road bike if what you need is a direct drive stationary. you can get something good enough to use for that, on the cheap easily with some looking around craigslist

pain caves and torture tools don't need to look pretty, just your quads
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by direct drive stationary? It seems that most of the direct drives on the market are smart trainers as well (which perhaps no one really needs), but I'm not sure what sort of setup you're describing.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drano View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by direct drive stationary? It seems that most of the direct drives on the market are smart trainers as well (which perhaps no one really needs), but I'm not sure what sort of setup you're describing.
    sure, nobody "needs" a direct drive smart trainer. But they sure do make the trainer experience a little less sucky. Especially when used with one of the virtual riding services that gives you some varied terrain (that you feel in the trainer) and other "riders" to chase or whatever. If you're more serious, then there are specific training plans on most of these services, as well.

As to the OP, I'm pretty sure you'll have no trouble with a SRAM NX cassette on one of these things. That said, I'm also pretty sure you'll need a spacer behind it, because most of these things probably come with an 11spd ROAD HG freehub body (since they're mostly used with road bikes). Now, if the trainer is advertised to come with an 11spd cassette, it's probably a road one with a tighter cog spacing. You COULD use it, but the gearing would be very different from your mtb.

I think the more important feature to look for is going to be compatibility with 148mm spaced thru axles if you plan to use your mtb. When I use a trainer (I have a dumb one), I put my road bike on it, which is 135mm QR in the rear.

mtbr member
    A great website to look at with regard to reviews on the options available is DC Rainmaker's site:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/...ons-guide.html

This is the link to his annual review of the options for trainers but the site has loads of other info. He is more road and Tri oriented but you'll probably get the answers you want here. His reviews are in depth and done by someone who really uses the stuff.

mtbr member
    I have a Hammer and know a few others that have Hammers. You can run a 12 speed NX on the normal freehub or a get an XD driver for it, and it comes with adapters for 12x148 thru axles. The 50 tooth cog isn't usable as the derailleur cage will hit the side of the trainer due to the inward dish of the large cogs, but I can't imagine needing to use the 50 tooth cog for anything on the trainer. For workouts and training, it's normally best to use ERG mode where you leave it in one gear, typically a cog or two higher (smaller cog) the the middle of the cassette and don't shift. The resistance Watts change and are controlled by the app. For ride simulations like Zwift, you use slope mode (i.e. non ERG mode) and do shift, though Zwift also has training sessions where ERG mode can be used.

That said, I basically only use the Hammer with one of my road bikes.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    if you cannot find something....

honestly I'd buy a used up, crap road bike if what you need is a direct drive stationary. you can get something good enough to use for that, on the cheap easily with some looking around craigslist

pain caves and torture tools don't need to look pretty, just your quads

since 4/10/2009
    I answered your question. Why are you repeating yourself?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I answered your question. Why are you repeating yourself?

Harold, chill out my friend. I inadvertently replied to the thread on my phone instead of 127's comment. Can't seem the delete the first comment, perhaps because you replied to it (?)...I really appreciate your insight on the trainer. I'm all for making the experience less sucky! Thanks again.

since 4/10/2009
    Harold, chill out my friend. I inadvertently replied to the thread on my phone instead of 127's comment. Can't seem the delete the first comment, perhaps because you replied to it (?)...I really appreciate your insight on the trainer. I'm all for making the experience less sucky! Thanks again.
    There is a time limit on editing posts.

I was confused, not otherwise "unchill"

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    There is a time limit on editing posts.

I was confused, not otherwise "unchill"

Noted, thanks again.