Difference between Shimano clipless pedals?- Mtbr.com
    Crunchatize me Capn'

Difference between Shimano clipless pedals?

So I was just curious as to whether or not there's a BIG difference between "clip-in" speed between Shimano's Mtb clipless pedals. Right now I'm using the stock pedals that I got on my Kona which are the M505's. I find that when I'm wearing my mtn shoes I can clip in real quick and almost always. In my road shoes I often times have to search around and my foot sometimes slides off of the pedal. Sometimes it's quick but usually it takes me a couple of seconds to find that sweet spot to where I can push down and know they'll clip in. The only difference between my mtn and road shoes is that my road shoes use the 55 cleats while the mtn shoes use the 51 cleats. But the actual clip-in design is the same.

My theory is that the lugs on the mtn shoe act as a sort of guide around the pedal itself and "forces" my shoe into just the right position. If this is true then, I'm wondering if some of the higher end pedals actually are easier to clip into due to some sort of design difference, well whatever I guess. Just looking at the pedal mechanisms, they seem to be mostly the same and the design differences seem to cover issues like shedding mud better, better bearings, or different longer lasting finishes. So has anyone used both low end and high end shimano pedals and noticed a difference? Reviews of the different pedals aren't a good comparison between models.

P.S. no "Just try Times" or "Hey, switch to Eggbeaters" please

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by jabpn
    So I was just curious as to whether or not there's a BIG difference between "clip-in" speed between Shimano's Mtb clipless pedals. Right now I'm using the stock pedals that I got on my Kona which are the M505's. I find that when I'm wearing my mtn shoes I can clip in real quick and almost always. In my road shoes I often times have to search around and my foot sometimes slides off of the pedal. Sometimes it's quick but usually it takes me a couple of seconds to find that sweet spot to where I can push down and know they'll clip in. The only difference between my mtn and road shoes is that my road shoes use the 55 cleats while the mtn shoes use the 51 cleats. But the actual clip-in design is the same.

My theory is that the lugs on the mtn shoe act as a sort of guide around the pedal itself and "forces" my shoe into just the right position. If this is true then, I'm wondering if some of the higher end pedals actually are easier to clip into due to some sort of design difference, well whatever I guess. Just looking at the pedal mechanisms, they seem to be mostly the same and the design differences seem to cover issues like shedding mud better, better bearings, or different longer lasting finishes. So has anyone used both low end and high end shimano pedals and noticed a difference? Reviews of the different pedals aren't a good comparison between models.

P.S. no "Just try Times" or "Hey, switch to Eggbeaters" please
    I haven't got the pedals you have, on my stumpy I had the 520 and now I have the 647.

I think that from the 520 upwards Shimano is using other mechanism than on lower ones. I think that the difference is for mud. The 520 and 647 are good for mud, while I'm not really sure about lower models.

I had some Wellgo that are similar to lower models and they worked fine too, not as good at mud, but good eitherwise.

Now go try some Candy's j/k.

Crunchatize me Capn'

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........c a n d y ............mmmmmmmmmmmmm

mtbr member
    i recommend using the downhill shimano pedals that have the extra platforms. The 647 is a good example, you can ride for brief periods without being clipped in.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    SPD-505's = old design and not so good.

SPD-520's and up = new design and excellent in my opinion.

I used to only like TIME and Cranks Bros, but the new 520's came on my last couple of bikes and I really like them. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bglimpse
    SPD-505's = old design and not so good.

SPD-520's and up = new design and excellent in my opinion.

I used to only like TIME and Cranks Bros, but the new 520's came on my last couple of bikes and I really like them. My 2 cents.

Between the Time, Crank Bro., and 520's, which were the easiest to unclip from?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Natty Shreddz
    Between the Time, Crank Bro., and 520's, which were the easiest to unclip from?
    They are all different feeling and none are hard to unclip. I would say the easiest is gotta be the cranks. But the 520's and ATACs are easy as well. Tough call, the shimanos are the cheapest!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

The difference is the cleats

The 51s are held much more firmly. The 55s swivel around much more freely and allow your foot to come out much more easily, too easily for me; tightening the pedal release tension does not make any difference. I have used both cleats on several different pedals, the result is always the same. For me the 55s are OK for mountain but not road because I´m afraid I´m going to unclip accidentally when standing on the pedals.

Jan 2004
    Shimano's new generation 520/540/959/647 pedals have a significantly redesigned jaw system. Besides shedding mud dramatically better than the old generation design they are easier to clip into and more predictable and consistant all around as well. The new jaws are much wider and completely open so the cleat has a larger area to fall into and be guided into locking in. One of the interesting things with the new ones is they require no break in time. They work the same from the first day. The old models were crazy difficult to unclip even at the softtest settings until the jaws rounded themselves off a bit.

Crunchatize me Capn'

What I was looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Shimano's new generation 520/540/959/647 pedals have a significantly redesigned jaw system. Besides shedding mud dramatically better than the old generation design they are easier to clip into and more predictable and consistant all around as well. The new jaws are much wider and completely open so the cleat has a larger area to fall into and be guided into locking in. One of the interesting things with the new ones is they require no break in time. They work the same from the first day. The old models were crazy difficult to unclip even at the softtest settings until the jaws rounded themselves off a bit.
    Thanks Hecubus. This knowledge is what I was looking for. I think I'll look at them. On a side note. I don't know if the new design let's the 55's unclip easier or not but I've never came unclipped with either the 51's or the 55's using the 505 pedals riding on the road and on the trails. I personally like the float the 55's offer over the 51's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sweathog
    The 51s are held much more firmly. The 55s swivel around much more freely and allow your foot to come out much more easily, too easily for me; tightening the pedal release tension does not make any difference. I have used both cleats on several different pedals, the result is always the same. For me the 55s are OK for mountain but not road because I´m afraid I´m going to unclip accidentally when standing on the pedals.

I believe the 55 are multidirectional release, where the 51 only release with kicking the heal out...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jabpn
    My theory is that the lugs on the mtn shoe act as a sort of guide around the pedal itself and "forces" my shoe into just the right position.
    What is a "lug"?