Debating, Flaming, Neg Rep on MTBR...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Debating, Flaming, Neg Rep on MTBR...

Shine all that noise.

I want to give thanks and praise to the members of MTBR that have given me insight and knowledge about stuff that I'd have no clue about. Vintage stuff, suspension, new products, reviews, test rides, passion, comedy, music, etc. has all been gratefully taken in by me through this iMac of mine. The list is endless when it comes to using this site and the members as a resource for information, advice and opinions. Best of all, I have met some really great people on here I consider friends.

I'd pretty much be in the dark if it weren't for sites like this - my alternative would be heavily advertiser "influenced" magazines - which are cool - but feel they aren't showing the whole side of things. I love mountain biking and have really adopted it as an identity rather than a "hobby".

So, props and praise to the participants of this site. I know many of you neg rep me, flame, me, or whatever - don't care about all that - I don't read my rep, and I would encourage others to collapse their rep and ignore it. Some here are spiteful and will use this place as a platform to spew out whatever's bothering them. Get past all that! There's great stuff to be had on MTBR once you get past all the BS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Shut yer pie hole.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Shine all that noise.

I want to give thanks and praise to the members of MTBR that have given me insight and knowledge about stuff that I'd have no clue about. Vintage stuff, suspension, new products, reviews, test rides, passion, comedy, music, etc. has all been gratefully taken in by me through this iMac of mine. The list is endless when it comes to using this site and the members as a resource for information, advice and opinions. Best of all, I have met some really great people on here I consider friends.

I'd pretty much be in the dark if it weren't for sites like this - my alternative would be heavily advertiser "influenced" magazines - which are cool - but feel they aren't showing the whole side of things. I love mountain biking and have really adopted it as an identity rather than a "hobby".

So, props and praise to the participants of this site. I know many of you neg rep me, flame, me, or whatever - don't care about all that - I don't read my rep, and I would encourage others to collapse their rep and ignore it. Some here are spiteful and will use this place as a platform to spew out whatever's bothering them. Get past all that! There's great stuff to be had on MTBR once you get past all the BS.
    Great advice that can actually be applied to most forums.

Props to you Dion!

AZ
    banned
    Shine all that noise.

Neg. rep this noise,

Ha!, made you look.

Pro Crastinator
    circle jerk in 3... 2... 1...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    circle jerk in 3... 2... 1...
    It's so weird that guys can't be positive without it taking a h0m0-erotic turn. Eh, I do it, too, though.

mtbr member
    Agree, lots to learn here. I owe a good amount of credit for my own 'renaissance' to mtb to this site, as it has helped me learn about new trails that I didn't know about, new equipment that has enhanced my riding, and gives me an outlet for the things I sometime sit in my office and think about as I stare at the beautiful Wasatch mountains and all the riding possibilities there. Things that most people I talk to on a daily basis couldn't care less about!

I disagree about the debating part, though -- I enjoy a good debate, as long as it can be civil and keep from turning into a flame war. Which isn't often, unfortunately.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

meow meow
    without repz what is the point of life?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Kum bay yah....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    $$$$$$

Name:  IMG_0254.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  125.8 KB

Just a flesh wound

Good information

I just read my rep thing for the first time. I never even knew it existed. How do you give someone a comment?
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I just read my rep thing for the first time. I never even knew it existed. How do you give someone a comment?
    click on the yellow thumbs-up on the bottom left corner of any post you wanna rep.
    Round and round we go

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    by comment i assume you mean rep? start by clicking the little yellow thumbs up under a users avatar and go from there...

(edit: sniped be theMeat...)

Just a flesh wound

Got it

Now I am going to flame everyone!!

Just kidding. I still might never use it.

Hooray happiness. Way to be all posi and **** Dion. Sheesh, some people can't be dragged down to my level no matter how hard I try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just got negged by someone who didn't understand the intent of my post. I wish it were the old way where you just discussed the thing in public. It sucks to be worried about posting what you think.

Pro Crastinator
    it's also funny how almost all pos rep is signed, but neg rep is hidden behind. i proudly sign any neg rep i give away...

GONE
    Nov 2008
    This thread has me all welled up

The Brethren are coming together nicely!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Man up!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    This is indeed a great place.

J:
    don't care about all that - I don't read my rep, and I would encourage others to collapse their rep and ignore it. Some here are spiteful and will use this place as a platform to spew out whatever's bothering them. Get past all that! There's great stuff to be had on MTBR once you get past all the BS.
    How do you keep it collapsed?

Pale Rider
    I concur Good Sir this is a great place. Just a small request for those out there if ya give me a Pos rep sign it so I can return the favor. If ya give me a Neg rep sign it so I can return the favor. In all honestly there are really good people on this site.
    With my goldfish shorts swimming around my toes.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    The problem with neg rep is the fact that calling it that goes too far. if they just branded it differently people wouldn't be so sensitive about it. They could call it just call 'liked posts'. But, no, because its called reputation, its personal. Your only choice is to demean their fundamental reputation on the site, almost a characterization on their whole personhood.

mtbr member
    what is neg rep?

mtbr member
    Dion, you look totally different in your avatar, wearing your hair different?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    For someone who doesn't give rep or care about it......you sure have a lot of green chicklets! I positive repped you a few weeks ago for a great post, but am pissed now that it wasn't even read!

Good thread though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    The problem with neg rep is the fact that calling it that goes too far...because its called reputation, its personal. Your only choice is to demean their fundamental reputation on the site, almost a characterization on their whole personhood.
    The whole problem with neg reps is the people who act like their emotional stability depends on them. If you're the kind of person who cares too much about neg reps on your fictitious profile, you shouldn't be online in the first place. You should be in therapy.

Pale Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Uh Oh.........I said Good Sir...........Did I just pull a Marcie?
    With my goldfish shorts swimming around my toes.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    I can't figure out what his head is poking out of.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
    The whole problem with neg reps is the people who act like their emotional stability depends on them. If you're the kind of person who cares too much about neg reps on your fictitious profile, you shouldn't be online in the first place. You should be in therapy.
    Therapy is too expensive. Just love me dammit

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    There is some quality virtual bromancing going on here.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

It's about showing up.
    There is a difference between argument and bickering.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    people want me in the negative because i think parents should supervise their children lol

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
    The whole problem with neg reps is the people who act like their emotional stability depends on them.
    Yeah I agree people over-react to the neg rep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Debating, Flaming, Neg Rep on MTBR...-slide1.jpg  

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    best spelling ever on a neg rep. i was beginning to lose confidence in the school system.
    "Anyone posting more neg rep threads should be neg repped!"

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    people want me in the negative because i think parents should supervise their children lol

Uhm, people want you in the negative because you are a self centered attention whore.

Enthusiast
    I want to give thanks and praise to the members of MTBR that have given me insight and knowledge about stuff that I'd have no clue about.
    There's great stuff to be had on MTBR once you get past all the BS.
    I concur. Despite that all of you are raving lunatics and I'm the only sane one , mtbr is a fantastic forum and has contributed more than I can say to my enjoyment of mountain biking.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    without MTBR I'd probably have one bike and $3M in my checking account.
    Last edited by RTM; 07-27-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Dammit! I still can't give you more neg rep. Just counting the days.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Im waiting too. Note to self.... Neg rep ou2mame when able.

Just a flesh wound

help

I got negative rep for saying the original lube on a new chain is great stuff.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post

/\ Affirmative.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Hooray happiness. Way to be all posi and **** Dion. Sheesh, some people can't be dragged down to my level no matter how hard I try.
    You just gotta try a little harder

Magura

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Uhm, people want you in the negative because you are a self centered attention whore.
    Now don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel

Not that I disagree though.

Magura

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Now I will have to wait too, as I just gave him his monthly neg

I forgot to sign it, sorry ou2mame. Won't happen again (that I forget to sign that is).

Magura

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Shut yer pie hole.

LIKE.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Shine all that noise.

I find this hard to believe Dion since your on this site so much.
    Just sayin.
    Rep system sucks because peeps can neg you without signing their name.
    Jaysus at least man up and sign your Neg reps. people.
    Rant over.
    Carry on cubicle dwellers.
    And yes I'm being sarcastic with all these pictures so please feel free to neg rep me.
    Like the sig. says, No rep, No rep power, NO PROBLEM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Debating, Flaming, Neg Rep on MTBR...-photo0862.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    I find this hard to believe Dion since your on this site so much.
    My days are bad enough with a lot of stress - I stopped reading my rep when people were just trolling with negativity and it bothered me. I know it shouldn't, but I hate trolls, especially anonymous ones. I still do believe that the rep system has done nothing to enhance the site. It's like when car manufacturers added all kinds of pointless hood scoops and spoilers on their cars in the 80's.

"Do these improve the car's performance?"
    "No"
    "Can I take it off"
    "No"
    "Why is it there, then?"
    "Don't know."

When I discovered you can collapse it (there's a little arrow on the right side to collapse it), I collapsed it and never look at it, ever. It's my little way of saying "F-you" to the rep system and the troll portal it provides.

Sometimes I use the rep system to leave positive rep. I never, ever leave negative rep for any reason. I feel, if I have to take time to leave a negative comment to somebody, I'm the one with the problem - not them. Rising above the negativity is the way I'd like to try and live, not filling people's account with red chicklets with "Hey, moron, f-you and the horse you rode in on for liking wide handlebars".

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I get neg rep in the real world all the time. Stains on my shirt, unshaven face, too many colors on my touring whip, all that jazz makes folks think I suck.

Fwiw when I lost track of local social constraints, my mind became much sharper. In my experience, if you are at the bottom of a social ladder you get dragged down, if you are on top you get haughty and complacent.

Glad to be concerned only with my opinion of myself and surviving better each day thanks to mtbr, github and a lucky smile at the right lady

Thanks guys for 'riding' with me here

banned
    Jun 2007
    Have made my opinion known that I do care, and feel it more important to contribute than to lay back and just say what-evs dude. [IMHO]..

Threads rely upon constructive input to help form opinions, and check accuracy of info posted. MTBR is a great source for pix, info, stories, and humor centered on a sport that we all enjoy, and here I've learned many things. If you take issue with someone's post, reply to assert your position, say why you disagree / agree, and then back it up. A forum can only be as good as it's participants that contribute. Nothing is added by those who hide behind the keyboard making snarky comments that lack an informed opinion, or the nutsack to post anything.

The rep feature was set up to punish / reward those that contribute to the forums, and in general, one gets what they deserve. The unsigned rep feature allows people to make rude, abusive comments that if signed would never be written. Users should probably realize that unsigned comments can be traced, and if problematic, the mods can dish out corrective action. [Remember Little Wing?]

The intent of the unsigned rep is to prevent retaliation and stalking, yet it does NOT give one the right to verbally abuse others. When someone personally abuses another, or refuses to accept good advice, insists that they are right, and continues to post poor, or abusive content - then IMO they're deserving of a red chicklet bath.
    To achieve a balanced system (-) rep is an important tool. How else can one that refuses advice be impacted to prevent continued azzhattery, and or posting of pure BS?
    Ride on Josephine, baby ride on...

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    My days are bad enough with a lot of stress - I stopped reading my rep when people were just trolling with negativity and it bothered me. I know it shouldn't, but I hate trolls, especially anonymous ones. I still do believe that the rep system has done nothing to enhance the site. It's like when car manufacturers added all kinds of pointless hood scoops and spoilers on their cars in the 80's.

"Do these improve the car's performance?"
    "No"
    "Can I take it off"
    "No"
    "Why is it there, then?"
    "Don't know."

When I discovered you can collapse it (there's a little arrow on the right side to collapse it), I collapsed it and never look at it, ever. It's my little way of saying "F-you" to the rep system and the troll portal it provides.

Sometimes I use the rep system to leave positive rep. I never, ever leave negative rep for any reason. I feel, if I have to take time to leave a negative comment to somebody, I'm the one with the problem - not them. Rising above the negativity is the way I'd like to try and live, not filling people's account with red chicklets with "Hey, moron, f-you and the horse you rode in on for liking wide handlebars".
    I wholeheartedly agree on all your points Dion, including the "what have my chickletts done for me lately" POV.
    I still don't get why they have the rep system on the site.
    It was fine without it.
    I've repped like 3 times and all positive without comments but definitely signed.
    I too collapse my rep comments, as I did with the PM'ing feature.
    You have a good philosophy on life my friend, keep it up and you will go far.
    And yes, I do love me wide bars.
    Ride Hard, Ride Free.
    G-out >>>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Debating, Flaming, Neg Rep on MTBR...-2012-06-30-17.05.34-1.jpg  

J:
    It doesn't stay, every time I collapse it, sucker is back next time I sign in

..without MTBR I'd probably have one bike and $3M in my checking account.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    The rep feature was set up to punish / reward those that contribute to the forums
    Despite the fact the few reps I have received have been positive, I am with Dion on the opinion that the rep feature has done nothing to enhance the site. And even the couple negative reps I have been "punished" with have been sent tongue in cheek or at least that is how I perceived them. I quoted Greg LeMond one time, although the other one is by far my favorate...."i lowered your rep power becuz you posted in 29er forum". Being neg repped from someone that wrote that comment, how can you possibly take a feature serious that encourages this.

Despite good intentions, I firmly believe that a positive rep will never replace a posted response that can be read by everyone. Sure it takes longer, but then if I do not want to take the time to type out a few words in support of something I believe contributed to this forum, maybe it just was not really that much of a contribution after all. If I disagree with someone, I'll own it. If someone continously posts garbage, I just will not read their posts. And by the way, I do not base this on how many red chicklets someone has attached to their name. Some of those that like to stir the pot can still post something worth reading.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    Despite the fact the few reps I have received have been positive, I am with Dion on the opinion that the rep feature has done nothing to enhance the site. And even the couple negative reps I have been "punished" with have been sent tongue in cheek or at least that is how I perceived them. I quoted Greg LeMond one time, although the other one is by far my favorate...."i lowered your rep power becuz you posted in 29er forum". Being neg repped from someone that wrote that comment, how can you possibly take a feature serious that encourages this.

Despite good intentions, I firmly believe that a positive rep will never replace a posted response that can be read by everyone. Sure it takes longer, but then if I do not want to take the time to type out a few words in support of something I believe contributed to this forum, maybe it just was not really that much of a contribution after all. If I disagree with someone, I'll own it. If someone continously posts garbage, I just will not read their posts. And by the way, I do not base this on how many red chicklets someone has attached to their name. Some of those that like to stir the pot can still post something worth reading.
    + 1 on everything you said.
    I feel very similar.
    Thank's for being so articulate.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post
    It doesn't stay, every time I collapse it, sucker is back next time I sign in

..without MTBR I'd probably have one bike and $3M in my checking account.
    LOL...hey, its the thought that counts! thanks bud.

Members who have read this thread: 0