mtbr member

Danny MacAskill rides with Elmo

Does this make you want to get out on your bike or what? Doesn't feel like five minutes, flies in.

mtbr member
    Who doesn't like Danny or Claudio. Those guys are unique.
    Do the math.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Holy Moly, is right.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Stone Jack Baller
    Lots of wow moments, but that flip at the end.....

9 lives
    ^ fun video... so much talent
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Mudhorse
    Danny says in his autobiography that his mother is fairly philosophical about some of the more dangerous stuff he does. I'm not his mother though, and that bit where he rides the bridge skinny with the half mile drop makes my gonads retract.

Make the most of this video as there might not be another one for a while - Danny smashed his kneecap three months ago and it's still a long way from being healed. He fell 8 feet, knee-to-concrete. Would've been a lot worse if he hadn't been wearing his POC knee pads, which doesn't even bear thinking about.

Here's a short impromptu interview with a recuperating Danny on his friend/housemate/colleague Ali Clarkson's YouTube channel (10:56). Danny, Ali C and Duncan Shaw perform street trials shows under the banner Drop and Roll, although on this occasion Danny is on camera duty. The audience appreciated him turning up, even if he couldn't ride, and he was still doing the meet-and-greet and autographs.

Fun fact: This is the same railway station that was featured in Wee Day Out. You can see him doing a butt-clenching drop from the same railway bridge that he was limping down in the Ali Clarkson video.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

Rabid Lana fan
    I can't help but notice he's wearing a hydration pack.

Doesn't he know you can't ride for schit with a sweaty back and the extra weight throwing off your balance?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    I'm not his mother though, and that bit where he rides the bridge skinny with the half mile drop makes my gonads retract.
    It's a shame but I reckon Danny will end up either crippled or dead. Some of the stuff he pulls is so risky that all it takes is for a trick to go wrong once and it's game over. I hope he sees that himself and retires before that happens. He's done enough to last a lifetime.

Here's a short impromptu interview with a recuperating Danny on his friend/housemate/colleague Ali Clarkson's YouTube chanel.
    That's a cool little video. My little claim to fame is that a couple of years ago I sold a Fox fork on Gumtree, the guy came out to buy it and it was... Ali Clarkson! He was really nice and talked about opening a shop and learning to build wheels when his trial days are over. He also had a go on my bike which I thought was really cool :0)

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig
    It's a shame but I reckon Danny will end up either crippled or dead. Some of the stuff he pulls is so risky that all it takes is for a trick to go wrong once and it's game over. I hope he sees that himself and retires before that happens. He's done enough to last a lifetime.
    If it can happen to Martyn Ashton then it can happen to anyone. I got a right fright a while back when I was searching for Danny Macaskill on the YouTube app on my TV (a slow and laborious process) and the autocomplete suggested "danny macaskill funeral". What!? Nooooo! I had to boot up my PC to check that everything was right with the world.
    I don't think Danny will retire, he's too passionate about what he does. I think the best case is that cumulative injuries will force him to drop the riskier stuff - he's already had a nasty-looking spine operation to sort out an injury he got from a high drop (he landed it OK but his spine caught the impact forces wrong). He does say that some of the dangerous looking stuff isn't as risky as it looks, f'rinstance that Cascadia video where he's riding Spanish rooftop skinnies many, many stories up: he was up there with a broom brushing all the crud off before he rode it, and he said that if he did have to bail he'd be able to grab hold of the wall on the way down. I do hope he never has to put this to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig
    My little claim to fame is that a couple of years ago I sold a Fox fork on Gumtree, the guy came out to buy it and it was... Ali Clarkson! He was really nice and talked about opening a shop and learning to build wheels when his trial days are over. He also had a go on my bike which I thought was really cool :0)
    Hah, that's awesome! Ali strikes me as a thoroughly decent human being, and his is one of the three YouTube channels I like enough to subscribe to (along with Seth Bikehacks and Phil Kmetz). There does seem to be a better public attitude towards bikes in Scotland than there is down south here in Sassenach country, particularly when it comes to street trials. There's a Ministry of Defence building in Glasgow that's just perfect for street trials, and when the security guard inevitably chases the riders off they are at least decent about it and often have a friendly chat about trials riding. I don't imagine that a security guard in Basingstoke, say, would be quite so reasonable.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    There does seem to be a better public attitude towards bikes in Scotland than there is down south here in Sassenach country...
    I couldn't really say. It probably depends on exactly where you are. Dare I say that English cities in general seem less friendly but I'm talking with limited experience. I was quite shocked by how unfriendly people were in London. I don't know why so many people want to live there.