Crunch noise when I start pedaling- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Crunch noise when I start pedaling

It happens maybe once every other ride, but after coasting I'll get a crunch/clunk noise when I start pedaling again.

I have no idea where it's coming from but the bike only has 500 miles on it. All shifting is perfect and chain is not stretched per the Park Tools measuring tool. Everything else seems to be perfect, but maybe once ever other ride that'll happen. I'm sure it could be a number of things but any ideas?

Rabid Lana Fan
    I would suspect some kind of rear hub issue.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ +1 on the rear hub. The wife just had the same problem
    with her bike and it was a rear hub. I took it apart, cleaned,
    lubed, and all is well now.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Clear the leaves off your pedals.

First step is taking the chain off the chainrings and then applying load to the pedals. That will tell you whether the problem is in the crankset/pedals or the hub.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

The Original Suspect
    Sometimes sounds that seem like they are coming from the bottom bracket are actually coming from the headset. Often times when you are torquing on the cranks you are torquing on the bars as well in the same movement giving the appearance of noise in the crank area.

Check the preload on your headset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This is going to be frustrating to diagnose because it really only happens every 40 miles or so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Usual suspect are head bearing, bottom bracket and rear hub. As have been pointed out.

Try leaning against a wall, applying the brakes and torque loading the bottom bracket and head bearing and see if you can replicate it.

I had a weird problem like this once, the bottom bracket would start working its way loose and making creaking sounds every once in a while. I'd take it apart, clean it, install it and all would be fine for 20h or so. Then I'd start again... turned out the bottom bracket was actually bent by 1 mm or so. But it took me a lot of cursing to figure that out... thought the frame was ruined there for a while.

Another time it was the head bearing tolerances that just didn't want to play ball. No matter what I did always half a millimeter of play in there.. Another brand worked fine.

SS Pusher Man
    Are we tailing about you or the bike?

Sometimes my knees crunch when I pedal.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post
    Usual suspect are head bearing, bottom bracket and rear hub. As have been pointed out.

Try leaning against a wall, applying the brakes and torque loading the bottom bracket and head bearing and see if you can replicate it.

I had a weird problem like this once, the bottom bracket would start working its way loose and making creaking sounds every once in a while. I'd take it apart, clean it, install it and all would be fine for 20h or so. Then I'd start again... turned out the bottom bracket was actually bent by 1 mm or so. But it took me a lot of cursing to figure that out... thought the frame was ruined there for a while.

Another time it was the head bearing tolerances that just didn't want to play ball. No matter what I did always half a millimeter of play in there.. Another brand worked fine.
    I see. The BB was also clicking at the top of the left pedal stroke for a while until re-greasing it so maybe I have a crappy BB...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Are we tailing about you or the bike?

Sometimes my knees crunch when I pedal.
    Bike

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Just ride rockier trails and you'll never hear that irritating little notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I see. The BB was also clicking at the top of the left pedal stroke for a while until re-greasing it so maybe I have a crappy BB...
    I've had zero problems with bottom brackets ever since starting with the shimano hollow tech cranks. They really are superb. If you think that's the problem and you don't have one like that it could be a good investment.