'Crash Replacement, or Warranty? Opinion wanted.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

'Crash Replacement, or Warranty? Opinion wanted.

What happened is I was on single track going at a pretty good clip and I hit my chain guide (1x10 set up) on a rock that was protruding from the side of the trail that was obscured by grass. It made a loud noise but I kept going and only had to stop because I lost my chain -(I would have stopped anyway though.) I don't think I hit the frame at all.

The impact cased my Carbon frame to crack. (see pics) The frame is covered by 5 year warranty.

I'm thinking this is a warranty issue, but the LBS felt it was a crash replacement scenario. Just trying to see if I'm way off base here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 'Crash Replacement, or Warranty? Opinion wanted.-damage.jpg  

undercover brother
    Sounds like user error (no offense) and would probably lean towards crash replacement. What brand?

mtbr member
    None taken - was definitely user error. I was thinking the frame should not have cracked under those circumstances, but perhaps I have a distorted view of how durable carbon frames should be. Thanks for your reply.

since 4/10/2009
    sounds like crash replacement to me

undercover brother
    Well that's a grey area... A frame is only built as tough as its intended purpose. The intended purpose of that bike is not to bounce off of rocks, but to ride over them (or around).

mtbr member
    Technically it was user error but at the same time if the crash was as you described how long would the frame last anyways. I would not be real happy knowing my bike couldn't handle that type of impact.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

undercover brother
    I would still try to get it warrantied. Contact the manufacturer directly rather than having your LBS contact them. Warranty claims can be a PITA for a LBS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I would still try to get it warrantied. Contact the manufacturer directly rather than having your LBS contact them. Warranty claims can be a PITA for a LBS.
    Thanks I did try that, but the manufacturer referred me back to the LBS - I really like my LBS and tried to take care of it myself.
    Last edited by Taranis; 01-29-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    I would think that would be a "crash replacement" scenario.

however, that is to be determined by the manufacturer, not the bike shop. did the shop just look at it and tell you it would be a crash replacement deal or did they submit the claim to the manufacturer first? the shop should be fighting for you to get a free warranty replacement to make you happy. the manufacturer will push for your to buy a discounted frame. regardless, the manufacturer will probably say the same thing.

the bike didn't just break under your weight, it was smashed into a rock. if you were "just riding along" and it cracked, i would expect a free frame, no question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I would think that would be a "crash replacement" scenario.

however, that is to be determined by the manufacturer, not the bike shop. did the shop just look at it and tell you it would be a crash replacement deal or did they submit the claim to the manufacturer first? the shop should be fighting for you to get a free warranty replacement to make you happy. the manufacturer will push for your to buy a discounted frame. regardless, the manufacturer will probably say the same thing.

the bike didn't just break under your weight, it was smashed into a rock. if you were "just riding along" and it cracked, i would expect a free frame, no question.
    I should have mentioned that the bike store did submit the warranty request off to the manufacturer - he just let me know that he felt this was a crash replacement.
    Last edited by Taranis; 01-29-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: sent warranty request not bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Crash replacement !! Let's think about this. If your driving your car and hit a pot hole and wreck the wheel it would be a crash damage.....

A warranty would be like if the frame started to debond.
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: 'Crash Replacement, or Warranty? Opinion wanted.

So you CRASHED into a rock, and you think it's a warranty?

wow.

mtbr member
    next time just shrug and say - I was JRA. that is the standard reply.

things like this is what gives me pause, when contemplating my next frame material... I bounce off rocks, and whatever, all the time, but I've never broken a frame... but so many carbon frames available these days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    What happened is I was on single track going at a pretty good clip and I hit my chain guide (1x10 set up) on a rock that was protruding from the side of the trail that was obscured by grass. It made a loud noise but I kept going and only had to stop because I lost my chain -(I would have stopped anyway though.) I don't think I hit the frame at all.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>

<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/D4ZyEq" vspale=0></iframe>

The impact cased my Carbon frame to crack. (see pics) The frame is covered by 5 year warranty.

I'm thinking this is a warranty issue, but the LBS felt it was a crash replacement scenario. Just trying to see if I'm way off base here.
    This will go under crash replacement with any warranty company

AZ
    banned
    These threads almost make me ashamed to be a mountain biker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    So just lie? Really awesome repsonse there. FTW
    OK mister literal... I was only kidding, but feel free to try it next time you break something. it's usually good for a laugh.

I guess anything with a winky face, must be taken as gospel... my bad.

It is a known fact that JRA is the most common cause of catastrophic bike part failure, just ask any shop.... Oh, and if you tell them you were only JRA... they always believe you, and so will the mfr

...still kidding ....

mtbr member
    Just Ridin Along, singin a song, side by side.................
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    So you CRASHED into a rock, and you think it's a warranty?

wow.
    I can't believe this guy is even questioning this! buy hey get as mush as you can from everyone you deal with. To the OP, if you own a business please let us know so we can steer clear of your miserly, technicality seeking a$$.

mtbr member
    Well thanks for the response from those of you who took it in the spirit that it was asked. I did not hit the frame, I hit the chain guide -and at a pretty slow speed, did not even get knocked off my line. To me this raised the question of whether a MFG might consider this a frame, or design defect. Not saying it is, just asked because I wanted to poll more experienced riders to see if this idea was off base.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    I can't believe this guy is even questioning this! buy hey get as mush as you can from everyone you deal with. To the OP, if you own a business please let us know so we can steer clear of your miserly, technicality seeking a$$.
    Ahh yes, the internet tough guy hard at work. Keep your negative name calling to yourself.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    Well thanks for the response from those of you who took it in the spirit that it was asked. I did not hit the frame, I hit the chain guide -and at a pretty slow speed, did not even get knocked off my line. To me this raised the question of whether a MFG might consider this a frame, or design defect. Not saying it is, just asked because I wanted to poll more experienced riders to see if this idea was off base.
    Shoulda just let sleeping dogs lie, no real need to bring the thread back up after it answered your question. As far as warranty vs. crash replacement, here's how I understand it. A warranty is for some defect that is noticeable before ever riding the bike, or when using it under normal conditions -- as in not bouncing off rocks. Crash replacement is what happens when the bike breaks after hitting something in a way that it wasn't designed for. That's what I would classify your case as: the bike isn't supposed to bounce off rocks.

As for the bash guard, look into getting one that isn't going to break your frame. I would rather break the bash guard than have the guard deflect from impact and break my frame.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    Shoulda just let sleeping dogs lie, no real need to bring the thread back up after it answered your question. As far as warranty vs. crash replacement, here's how I understand it. A warranty is for some defect that is noticeable before ever riding the bike, or when using it under normal conditions -- as in not bouncing off rocks. Crash replacement is what happens when the bike breaks after hitting something in a way that it wasn't designed for. That's what I would classify your case as: the bike isn't supposed to bounce off rocks.

As for the bash guard, look into getting one that isn't going to break your frame. I would rather break the bash guard than have the guard deflect from impact and break my frame.
    Thanks for the well thought out, and civil reply. I appreciate your time!

Pro Crastinator
    you need to brush up on your lying skills. your chainguide hit a rock and your seattube cracked? really? you know good and well this is a crash replacement, plain and simple. quit trying to be a sneaky ass shithead and suck it up princess...

mtbr member

'Crash Replacement, or Warranty? Opinion wanted.

Outside of all the hate in this thread. You hit the chainguide or frame, that's a crash replacement deal.

Sometimes you get lucky and the mfg will hook you up. Just be happy they even offer a crash replacement. Let us know how it goes.