mtbr member

Crappy year for MTBing...

So I have something to get off my chest. 2018 was garbage weatherwise

I live in NJ and unfortunately it rained way too much. It would rain during the weekdays and some weekends. But it was so much rain that a lot of trails were pure mud everywhere. It was so much that the ground could not absorb it. I like mud, but not when it's the entire trail! Couldn't do that much hiking nor backpacking. So much rain hindered all those activities, affecting my mood. Even the past two days it has been raining fml

Let's hope we get a normal 2019 in terms of wetness...
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

since 4/10/2009
    my riding suffered this year, too.

WNC got dumped on in May, but my work schedule was pretty brutal all summer so with the two combined I didn't ride so much. I rode more in the fall as work settled down, but I still don't feel like I made up for the lack of riding all summer.

Combat Wombat
    Record year for rain fall here in Oklahoma. Pretty much limited most of my riding to a trail 50 miles away on Sunday mornings. On a positive note, it is a very rocky, technical trail and I have definitely noticed a marked improvement in my handling skills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    So I have something to get off my chest. 2018 was garbage weatherwise

I live in NJ and unfortunately it rained way too much. It would rain during the weekdays and some weekends. But it was so much rain that a lot of trails were pure mud everywhere. It was so much that the ground could not absorb it. I like mud, but not when it's the entire trail! Couldn't do that much hiking nor backpacking. So much rain hindered all those activities, affecting my mood. Even the past two days it has been raining fml

Let's hope we get a normal 2019 in terms of wetness...
    Yep. I can relate. Right across the border in NEPA, and this has been the worst year of riding that I can remember.
    I'd have to check, but I'm lucky if I got in half the miles on a bike compared to last year. And while it allowed for gains with my running - I absolutely hate running.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Everything out west was dry, Dusty, and on fire.

WillWorkForTrail
    I have mixed feelings about this. It's true - my strava shows just over 300 miles for the year. That's about 1/4 of my average for the past several years. On the other hand, I've gotten to build some very, very cool trails this year. So, should we get better weather for riding in 2019, the riding should be good.

The White Jeff W
    I'd also like to pile on mother nature. The fall is my favorite time of year to ride and it was a complete washout. 4 rides in all of November and December. Pretty much a continuous cycle of 2 days of soaking rain with a couple clear days in between but never enough to dry out. Storms left dozens of trees lying across the trails so since October most of my time in the woods has been spent with a chainsaw.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Granted i am in the other hemisphere to you fella's but i wore out a MaxxTerra DHR2 over our winter. 1600km's over 140 rides. I have heard people locally making comments about it being a wet winter but reading thru my ride log i rode in the wet twice and in the damp a handful of times and wearing a tire down to the knub tells me it was dry.......
    Now,its summer and i am of to wear out my brand new Aggressor :-p

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Were the trails closed or it was just too muddy and/or rainy to feel like going out in it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Were the trails closed or it was just too muddy and/or rainy to feel like going out in it?
    For myself, it was a combination of both.

I ride public trails as well as private "dirtbike trails." The public trails wouldn't actually close, but riding them would cause unnecessary trail damage, so I wouldn't ride.
    The private trails, because trail drainage wasnt a consideration when they were made, were a sloppy mess all Summer. (Some had over a foot of sitting water.)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    In VA we only had 20 days without some sort of precipitation all summer. I did more road cycling but also have rocky trails that drain well to choose from.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    In Maryland we had record rain fall. I only got 250 MTB miles this season instead of 1000+. I ended up getting a road bike this year.

Combat Wombat
    In my neck of the woods, most of the trails are closed with any significant rain. If it has been dry leading up to this precip and then followed by good weather to dry things out, they are usually good to go within a day or so. Problem we had, was that the ground got so saturated, that even days after we got rain, the ground was still wet and soggy. In the ditch by the road in front of my house, there would still be standing water nearly a week after we had a good rain fall. About the time things would finally start to dry out and we would get hit with another torrential storm. There is one place that is hilly and nearly all rock, so it rarely, if ever, closes. That is the place I mentioned in my OP and drove there many Sunday mornings this past year in the rain. It is 50 miles one way and on private land, so time I have to get there and days it can be ridden are limited.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Pretty amazing riding this year on Vancouver Island. We have trails that don't handle the rain well, but a metric poop ton that do, so there is always something fun to ride.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Pretty amazing riding this year on Vancouver Island. We have trails that don't handle the rain well, but a metric poop ton that do, so there is always something fun to ride.
    Guess it all depends on where one lives and what conditions individual riders consider "good" or "bad."

Here in the PNW we had a great year for riding, at least by my standards. At times fires generated intolerable smoke in places and I had to abort an early September tour on the Fremont NRT due to one section of that trail in flames. But there were other places to ride and for the most part, it was a terrific year. Best September and October (even early November) weather and trail conditions in memory.

That said, it's the PNW -- I learned a long time ago to find ways to enjoy riding in rain and cold and on sloppy trails. I stopped trying to stay dry in favor of trying to stay comfortable. Whenever I absolutely can't ride, there's trailwork to be done. Got another build day to attend this weekend.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It was a great year in the southwest, but its always great, outside of fires.

Barely in control
    Well, I had a good year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Iím with O.P., but I swear it rained on all the weekends. I ended up running a lot more than riding....like today for instance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Wettest year on record in VA as well. Luckily there are a few trails not too far that are not affected by rain.

mtbr member
    Around here (CT) we get our share of crappy weather but after all these years of exploring trails there are so many choices. You learn that some can handle moisture better than others and certain spots to stay away from. On wet days we plan routes in higher ground to avoid low spots and minimize swill but some sections are unavoidable and you have to transit through while trying to minimize trail damage.

One of the reasons I love early winter riding before snow hits...when it's below freezing EVERYTHING is rideable with hero traction and no slop. Some of the best days of the season are in Nov/Dec when it's hard and fast.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Sucky amount of riding (+some crappy weather) for 2nd half of the year... due to work commitments (being out of town & extra busy) & starting new job (rostered shift work - limited riding w/ buddies).

Missed 2x mountain biking races =(

On the plus side of the coin... Think I'll get more riding with kids (+wife) during our holiday break.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Riding this year in KY has been horrible. Anytime I had the chance the weather was bad or the trails not dried out and open. When they were open I had to work.

Ended up running a lot more since I couldn't ride. Thanks to all the running I knocked over 16 minutes off my best half marathon time.

mtbr member
    I'm in NJ as well and totally agree with the OP, horrible season to plan a ride... every weekend ... rain. Wanted to to go yesterday and everything looks like a swamp. I have been riding a bit more on the road (MTB/spare wheelset/Comfort tires) but that stinks!

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this. It's true - my strava shows just over 300 miles for the year. That's about 1/4 of my average for the past several years. On the other hand, I've gotten to build some very, very cool trails this year. So, should we get better weather for riding in 2019, the riding should be good.
    Thank you for your service.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby_rider View Post
    Luckily there are a few trails not too far that are not affected by rain.
    Yeah, the closest trail to me (45 min. drive) is one that is unaffected by rain (NorCal). The problem is getting people to ride it & trail-build with me.

https://forums.mtbr.com/california-n...l#post13927389

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I agree this has been a crappy year in se pa as well. The trails never really dried. I had to find better draining trails to ride often and am tired of cleaning up mud after every ride. I have been taking advantage of the mornings which are below freezing whenever they come. It looks like this year is #2 for rainfall in this area since the late 1800's on jcweather.com. I'm hoping for some drier weather this year. I don't mind mud but soupy mud every ride gets old.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Allaire does well with the rain. Its more on the sandy side of the dirt spectrum so when itís a little moist itís more fun. Thereís not to much elevation change but the trails can be fun.

Al

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Just more reasons why I'm glad I no longer live anywhere near the eastern seaboard.

Another high-mileage (to me) year in the books. Wore out two sets of Specialized Butcher Grid's in the AZ terrain. It's a great feeling to actually wear tires down given my prior history of ripping them on rocks and sending them to early retirement.

Strava has me clocked at 1962 miles (and still 7 days left) for the year =)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Here in S. Florida we're in a drought as the rainfall this summer didn't measure up to our normal. Sooo except for the sandy/loose trail conditions (which is fun too) the riding was great just because no rain-outs for us weekend warriors. Now that Winter's here w/ the lower temps/humidity its even better! Do you folks think my boss should give me 1/2 day Wednesdays so I can get-in more time on the trail? Just till May when the rain returns.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Our trails were rather dry and blown out during the summer. Still fun except for all the smoke in the air.

Then in the fall everything was about perfect with tacky dirt and clean air. We still ride in the rain around here since there's almost no clay content in the soils and the trails hold up just fine in the wet.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Rides all the bikes!
    Embrace climate change and adapt to it, or suffer with a lot of WTF weather from now on.

In my case, in the southwest, it means more hot days to ride in as well as more fires affecting trails. For the most part it doesn't impact my riding negatively. Road riding in 125 weather isn't ideal, but at least I get to ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Just more reasons why I'm glad I no longer live anywhere near the eastern seaboard.
    It's wet here normally, so even the record rainfall didn't affect most people's riding all THAT much. There's so much available that a little bit of effort and you'll find something rideable. Even when things are at their wettest, it typically just means that you've gotta give the trails a break for a couple of days.

The worst bit of weather, honestly, was the snowstorm a couple weeks ago. And not from the snow itself, necessarily, or the wetness from when it melted. The biggest problems are from all the trees that were brought down from nearly 2ft of wet, heavy snow. Crews have been working hard to open stuff back up, but it's slow going. The more remote stuff is going to take some time to reach. And with the gov't shutdown, there won't be any new chainsaw cert courses for awhile, and no new firewood permits issued, either.

But there's still quite a bit of trail that's open for riding. Have been talking to a riding buddy and we're trying to decide where to ride on Wed. So, we have options, even.

Nah, my busy work schedule (and being dog tired so often when I wasn't working) over the summer was the main reason I didn't ride. Wet weather was just secondary.

mtbr member
    Autumn in Texas sucked. Rain rain rain. I rode trails maybe three times from September until now.

mtbr member
    So Cal...no rain here. Our dirt here is about as dry (dusty too) as can be. Ride two to three times a week.

mtbr member
    nice, mtb
    mud, dirt bike
    snow, snowboard... newb !

mtbr member
    Rained more than I cared for here as well and still is which has caused me to travel up to 120-140 a morning to get a ride in before work. I have probably ridden more trail systems due to this but I would like the option to stay local with more frequency. Tomorrow is supposed to rain at some point so yeah I will be spending up to six or seven hours in the car to get a ride in as well.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Well, whining about it solves none of it.

Get out and ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Here in SWPa (Pgh area) we're 1" away from record rain fall. Extended forecast for the last week of the year is not going to break the record but having the 2nd wettest year to date sorta sucked.

I love riding bikes and bought a "gravel bike" for those times when the trails are unridable but have been using it a lot more than my mtb this year which is a bit of a bummer. My first love is the dirt...and I miss it.

mtbr member
    I need to live where there are at least 300 comfortable days a year to ride, we've been getting a lot of highs in the mid-40's here this December (a little chillier than normal) and it's kind of depressing.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Rain? What is this rain you speak of? Luckily we don't have to deal with that very often (typed as it's raining here on Christmas day). Being done with full time employment helps my riding schedule as as well. I don't really keep track of my mileage but I average 2-3 days a week for about 40-45 miles total I would guess. This year was especially great as I made it out to Durango, twice to Sedona, twice to Hurricane plus made a 13 day road trip up to Whistler with stops in Ashland and Bellingham. For all of you that haven't been to Whistler, it's actually better than all the hype. I was pretty impressed.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

9 lives
    I enjoy participating in variety of activities (year round) so the weather doesn't stop me from keeping busy. When the trails are too wet to ride... I run (and wear my rain gear) or do crossfit. When it's cold or snowing I dress warmer, ride, run and /or do crossfit. My mind and body benefits from doing and trying new things

We get the same amount of precipitation annually... sometimes it's more snow in the winter or more rain the rest of the time.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Embrace climate change and adapt to it, or suffer with a lot of WTF weather from now on.
    This.

I don't think MTB'ing is going extinct any time soon; hero dirt may be harder to find with any regularity.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

mtbr member
    No me. Got a new awesome bike and have been blazing all year. I'm going faster, bigger, better than ever. Been on a couple of awesome bike trips too.

Good times.

Riding is year thing for me. Sure it rains. But so what? put some wet weather gear on and ride. It gets dark, put on some lights and ride. Raining and night time? wet weather gear and lights. Hot? take more water, finish at a river or ocean for a swim at the end. Tracks too muddy? Do an urban street ride. hit some stairs, Do some stairs and skinnies.

When it gets real shitty we sometimes go inside or bike polo... Still riding.

Unless you get snowed out i see no reason to stop riding. In which case i'd just slap on so ski's or a snowboard or a snow bike and keep riding.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I hear you. Weather has been dog-$&!t here in central Upstate NY since at least the beginning of August. Trails here get muddy easily, donít drain well, take a while to dry out. So when you go what seems like 5 months and rarely get 2 consecutive days without rain, AND an unusually cold fall..... the trails have been a real mess, and I am not getting much trail riding in.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that it will all start to freeze, soon. Will be picking up a fat bike and plan to get as much riding in as I can before it thaws into a truly epic mess in the spring.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post

Another high-mileage (to me) year in the books. Wore out two sets of Specialized Butcher Grid's in the AZ terrain. It's a great feeling to actually wear tires down given my prior history of ripping them on rocks and sending them to early retirement.

Strava has me clocked at 1962 miles (and still 7 days left) for the year =)
    Wow. 1962 miles! That is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    In NJ as well. The state is 15-23 inches above normal as of yesterday and there's another storm coming before year end. Would love to put on a cheery face, but it sucked for MTBing most of the year. When it wasn't raining, it was totally overgrown in spots. Still got some good rides, though. Much more time on the road bike than expected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wettest year on record in MD. Crappy year of MTB capped off by ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair.

Those hours of trail work to keep my local open and rideable through the winter were an unfruitful up hill battle which turned out all for not.

SS Pusher Man
    I dunno......207 rides/4500 miles on the mountain bike so far this year. Then again, that is why I live in So. Cal.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I dunno......207 rides/4500 miles on the mountain bike so far this year. Then again, that is why I live in So. Cal.
    ...and 16 of those miles were on actual singletrack!!
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    ...and 16 of those miles were on actual singletrack!!
    You should come out and ride with us sometime....might just change your impression of what we ride, but you will ride all day.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Always perfect here in San Diego..... year in and year out....

jcd's best friend
    Talk about a crappy finish to my year! My wife informed me that she only wants me to do 1 enduro race this year instead of a full season. I looked at her like she was crazy because the race signups start Jan 1. I understand her reasoning though, whether I agree or not.

She hasn't been able to find employment anywhere and she has a masters degree in school counseling.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    As far as where I live, the trails donít really ďcloseĒ in an official capacity that I am aware of.

However, riding them muddy tears them to $&!t and Iíve done enough trail work in the past to know it is a d!ck move to keep riding them like this.

Some trails handle water and a little bit of mud OK. Some donít. These donít.

Been spending a lot more time road riding, but even that is often getting rained out. I have a group of friends that just road ride, and on two occasions this fall we had cool trips planned, but both weekends got rained out.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

CEO Product Failure
    I echo the sentiment of the OP. 2018 was a cr@p shoot weather wise. I have two group ride nights: Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I also ride every weekend-Saturday and Sunday. Turns out, in my neck of the woods, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesdays were all days when it rained. Especially Tuesdays. I found ironic humor in this. If you want it to rain, plan to ride. A couple of events I planned on attended were rained out--one of which was a weekend of road rides (BikeMS).

Looking back at my mileage, I rode almost 1400mi more in 2018 than 2017. This is due to the rain--if it rained, I rode the road. Most of my road rides are a min of 30mi.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My riding went to hell in 2018 simply due to the fact that I moved to mtb purgatory: Florida.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Those hours of trail work to keep my local open and rideable through the winter were an unfruitful up hill battle which turned out all for not.
    This time of year (and the next two months) it always feels that way.

The White Jeff W
    12/31/18 - Rain. 1/1/19 - Rain. 1/2/19 - Rain. Not a good start.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post

She hasn't been able to find employment anywhere and she has a masters degree in school counseling.
    I thought the demand was on the increase.
    You can't get a suntan on the moon...