Crank Bros Customer Service- And I'm Not Even a Customer!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Crank Bros Customer Service- And I'm Not Even a Customer!

I've hard the CB CS stories here and there, and basically shrugged it off, since I don't own any CB products except for my Multi-17 tool, until I've experienced it first hand... Let me back up a bit- A riding buddy of mind has one of their pumps, the bigger one with the gauge. When he brings it on a ride, I ditch mine 'cause mine bites compared to the CB pump. It so happened that I got a flat and during the use if his pump while airing up my tire I somehow managed to break it. So, I procrastinate and finally get aroiund to writing CB an email about getting a replacement part. So, on the 20th of this month I write them, and specifically tell them I broke a part on my friends pump, not mine, and I get the replacement parts today (the 24th)! Talk about quick service!

So, here's the part I broke-

Now get this, this is the replacement "part" they sent me-

Now that's customer service boys and girls!

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cool.

I've had my topeak mountain-morph for 3 years or so.

I love stuff that never breaks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Cool.

I've had my Schwin Air Driver for at least that long, but it's still a POS. It's got a nice head on it though, it's only redeeming quality.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

squish is good
    Very cool man. Customer service is a HUGE factor to me. Thats monster bonus points for CB's. I have to throw a shout out for Hayes, I had a complaint regarding the performance of my Stroker brakes on a thread here and the CS rep took care of it in fabulous fashion. I don't mean just supplying replacement parts, I mean he responded to a post with a PM, and sent me some goodies to make me very happy. I'm not going to disclose it as I feel they went above and beyond and that should be enough. I was sold on Hayes based on performance but their CS went above and beyond my expectations.

CB is on my list now based on your experience. You cannot beat good customer service!
    Bike good, work bad.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    With all those $5 pedals they sell for $50 of course they can afford good customer service . Just kidding, mostly.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Grand Poobah
    Their service has probably gotten them more customers based upon your story.

I love a company that follows up well with its customers and cares about how they are perceived.

I have 4 sets of CB pedals as well as some other items. Good to know that they will stand behind them.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by minus9
    I have 4 sets of CB pedals as well as some other items. Good to know that they will stand behind them.
    I use CB pedals but I'm not hard on them but I mechanic for a lady mtb/cyclo-cross racer and she plain just wore her pedals' bearings out. A quick e-mail to CB received and equally quick reply from Anka and the parts were here PDQ. Excellent service!

I like Monkeys
    Actually I'm not surprised. I've had first hand experience with CB service with a set of 1st generation pedals that needed a rebuild within the warranty period. I got new improved pedals sent to me before I sent the old ones back at no charge. Good pedals and great CS. When I'm treated right I tell others and stick with them. When I'm treated wrong people will know about it even more. Bravo CB.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I broke a wing on a pair. Not even sure if they were still under warrante and they replaced the body on that one and put new bearings in both pedals. I don't know how fast their service was cause I just gave them to my LBS and kind of forgot about them for a while because I bought an other pair thinking they wouldn't do anything.

pedal pusher
    Good customer service is like cheap advertising. Not only will you keep existing cusomers much longer, but they're share stories with everyone they know and bring you even more business.

Way to go Crank Bros.!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    only have good things to say about cb too, i run 50/50xx, and there are plates on the pedals that needs to be screwed with m2 allen keys, its rather puny so i rounded off some of them.
    mailed cb, and was asked for my add, then they shipped the pins over, got them within a week, they didn't send 2 measely screws, they sent enough for a set of pedals! and btw, i'm in singapore...

def superb CS, which i can't say for a lot of other companies...

MTB Rider
    I've had some issues with Crank Brothers mallet pedals. I've snapped axels ... repeatedly. I'm a big guy. Each time they've promptly sent parts to me. Last time they sent a pack of left and right axels.

The product COULD have been tougher. But they stand behind it. My customer experience has been so good with them that I am looking forward to testing their newly designed mallet pedals.

MTB Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Cool.

It's by far the best designed frame MTB pump out there. However, I've had some issues with the plastic used in the head. It's easy for the parts to come apart with lateral pressure resulting in a loss of pressure. I've also busted the flip down handle with normal use. I epoxied it back together.

They need to up the build quality on that pump.

wants a taco
    another happy cb customer here...a while back i got hit by a car and bent the axle on my eggbeats, told crankbrothers what happened...i had new pedals within a week.

A few days ago i finally got sick of the play in my pedals wings, sometime causing me to pull out (yes their new cleats) and within a couple hours i had an email asking for my address so they can send replacement parts even after i said they were out of warrenty (the pedals are like 3-4 years old)

defintally a cb customer for life

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Wow that pump looks really plasticky to me haha, but it's awesome they just sent it out.

I had some questions about my gamut chainguide and the guy there called me twice and emailed me asking any way he could help me out.
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

Long Distance MTB

Crank Bros - best service ever

The best service I have received from anyone anywhere was from them.
    I manage to break my multi -17. It may have been defective since the beginning as it was always too hard to use the chain tool. I thought that it was just a fact of multi 17 to have a hard to use chain tool. Until I broke the chain tool. They offered to replace the chain tool only if I wanted to change only that or a completely new tool. They asked for my postal address and sent a new one that is a pleasure to use! It took a series of four emails, but that was me as I was reluctant to give my postal address, I had the feeling that I had to provide some sort of warranty card or proof of ownership or something. But in reality all it took was to give them my postal address.
    Now I know how using a multi-17 is supposed to feel. When it broke I felt that I had to "warn" anyone considering buyin one multi-17, but after seeing the service and the how the new tool works now I "advise" anyone I can to buy one. I have already bought another one for my brother in law. (I also now own the PPA pump!)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yup, CB has been great to me. I had a pair or hammered old pair Eggbeater SL's that were pretty toasted when I got them (for free on a cheap set of used cranks ). I rode 'em for a year and burned them all the way down, big time lateral slop. They rebuilt them for free at the Sea Otter last year. That is they were *going* to rebuild them, but lost them in the shuffle. The tech didn't miss a beat, he just put together a brand new pair from parts while I watched. He even let me pick out the spring and end cap colors

Members who have read this thread: 0