cracked Ti frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

cracked Ti frame

I recently noticed my hardtail has a crack in the weld from the top tube to the head tube. I must have really missed it since it's almost nearly all the way around the top tube (danger!). Anyone know of a good frame welder here in the Minneapolis area who does a reasonable amount of titanium welding? My frame is a Clark Kent (some of you might remember these). If none in Minnesota where do I sent it to get it fixed? The frame has more sentimental worth than anything (except it's a sub 3 lb hartail frame).

Thanks

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Smile Call Titus and see if they can help you out.

I didn't have a broken frame or a cracked weld, but I had them add a disk brake mount and some new cable stops to my old trusty Litespeed when Litespeed themselves wouldn't do the work. I sent my frame in through my LBS and had it back in 3 weeks. The total cost was about $180 for labor and shipping. The titus guys are excellent Titanium fabricators... I'd certainly recommend them. I've been riding the retrofit for 1.5 years and no problems yet.

Here's the disk brake mount....note the excellent welds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

try...

try carl at strongframes.com, titus at titusti.com, and dean at deanusa.com.

good luck!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wow, 180!

My friend was quoted 800 from Litespeed for the exact same thing.

Dave

Hairshirt Rider

Clark Kent

reminds me of a blurb from Matt Chester's web site

"Other repair stuff...
    ... Certain frames are just not worth the effort and you'd be better off just getting a new one (Clark Kents come to mind...as well as a lot of the foreign stuff from the early to mid 90's). If I'm uncomfortable with the condition of the frame...I'll return it to you less $35 for packing/shipping to you."

Don't know what the problem with CK frame might be - I always thought they were kind of cool.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Got the same run around.....

I got the same run around from Litespeed. They also quoted me $800. I had that design in mind all along, but they wouldn't retrofit using my design. They wanted to replace the entire rear triangle not just the dropouts!! Since I had this done, I've become aware that Jenson USA has been selling a bolt on mount for older style Litespeeds. I probably would have opted for that if it were available at the time because I voided the lifetime warrenty of the frame by modifying it the way I did. You should tell your buddy to check that out as I saw it listed for about $60 not too long ago.

BTW the extra gusset on the seatstay wasn't really necessary, but I thought why not spread the tortional load out over a thicker section of tube. I've seen a variation of this on another Litespeed with a supporting tube welded between the seatstay and chainstay. I was a little concerned about rotor clearance on that particular design so I went with the seatstay gusset design.

I only downside to doing this on older Litespeed models is the chainstay clearance. At the time, I was limited to only a 145mm rotor diameter. 165mm rotors would have worked, but there's only about 2mm of clearance between the rotor and the chainstay. Now that Hope has gone to 160mm rotors on their new brakes, I could now easily upgrade to a 6 inch rotor on the rear with adquate clearance.
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

artistic...
    clark kents are known for breaking. ask at the vintage retro board. there's lots of knowledge there...
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Mar 2004

cracked ti frame

Quote Originally Posted by otismojo
    I recently noticed my hardtail has a crack in the weld from the top tube to the head tube. I must have really missed it since it's almost nearly all the way around the top tube (danger!). Anyone know of a good frame welder here in the Minneapolis area who does a reasonable amount of titanium welding? My frame is a Clark Kent (some of you might remember these). If none in Minnesota where do I sent it to get it fixed? The frame has more sentimental worth than anything (except it's a sub 3 lb hartail frame).

Thanks
    u can try Jim Kish he is the TI welding teacher at UBI, he has a web site kishbike.com and he is the man, i have a custom bike by him and a ti fat, he is one of the best ti welders in the world and honest!!!!! there are alot of big name TI builders that call on him when there is Quality control issues!!

Mar 2004

cracked C-K ti is very common

weld contamination is the culprit. they either cheaped out on argon gas to purge the oxygen when welding, or just didn't have a clue, because every time I hear someone mention "Clark-Kent titanium" the word "crack" is in the same sentence.
    A friend once brought one over to show me a crack he found. I looked harder than he had, putting some stress on the frame while looking, and found 4 or 5 more cracks he hadn't spotted. Give yours a close look and you may well find some more cracking.
    My advise would be to not spend a penny of your money on repairing it; maybe put the cash into a search for Pat Clark who's rumored to be hiding out in the wilds of Oklahoma. Get your satisfaction that way.