Correct PSI?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Correct PSI?

2ts
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Correct PSI?

Hi to all,
    Im not sure if im doing it correct. I applied air pressure on my bike's rear suspension (fox DCRV). I followed the chart's recommended PSI based on my weight, but the moment i removed the pump head completely from the valve, I knew that some air pressure (about 20PSI) came out of it.
    Questions are:
    Is it normal? or do I have to add extra PSI so it would compensate whatever pressure came out? Whats the right way to do it?
    THANKS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Did you use a shock pump? The air chambers in shocks are very small and chances are you let all the air out when you removed the pump.
    All of the true things I'm about to tell you are shameless lies.

Afric Pepperbird
    That's air coming out of the hose. You're fine.

Afric Pepperbird
    Just to clarify, the last answer in this thread nails it.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ts
    I followed the chart's recommended PSI based on my weight,
    That does not guarantee that the result is what you like, anyway. You should experiment a bit: ride, make a change, repeat; until you find the best set up for you. Then use the same shock pump to keep it there ( ... until you want to try something different ... )

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The absolute number is somewhat irrelevant if your technique is inconsistent.

Said that, I did read it somewhere (probably User docs for Giant) that one should allow for ~5% of air (and pressure) to be lost when the pump is disconnected. So, if you want to get, say, 100PSI, pump to 105PSI and then disconnect.

But the key is consistency - pump to 100, check the sag, ride. If happy, write the pressure value down, so you can repeat it later using the same reading and the same pumping technique

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ts
    Hi to all,
    Im not sure if im doing it correct. I applied air pressure on my bike's rear suspension (fox DCRV). I followed the chart's recommended PSI based on my weight, but the moment i removed the pump head completely from the valve, I knew that some air pressure (about 20PSI) came out of it.
    Questions are:
    Is it normal? or do I have to add extra PSI so it would compensate whatever pressure came out? Whats the right way to do it?
    THANKS.
    Use sag, not psi to setup your suspension. Note what psi is required to achieve the desired sag for the future.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0