cooling vests- Mtbr.com

Thread: cooling vests

mtbr member

cooling vests

anyone here ever tried a cooling vest? i am intrigued by the potential: http://www.arcticheatusa.com/cooling_vests.pdf

its going to be 95 degress and 90% humidity where i live and this might make riding more enjoyable..

cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    $190, Yow...let us know if it works or is just marketing BS. Try the head gear first, head is most important anyway, only $70! At least you get to see if the technology works...

mtbr member
    not sure i am willing to spend the cash, wish i could try one first.

T.W.O.
    How small are you 661 has youth size on closed out for $10
    http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...b-5647681a773a

mtbr member
    I own a similar vest but it's made by a company called Tech Niche International. I have only used it while riding my atv in the desert. In hot weather it works well. You soak it in water for a while and it evaporates cooling you down. On really hot days while riding in the dunes at moderate speeds, it would usually last for just over an hour. I run it under a moister wicking moto jersey. On a mountain bike, where you are not moving as fast, it should last a lot longer. You can always pour more water on it to re-energize it if it dries out. I think I only paid about $30 for this vest. For the price it's a smoking deal. I bought it last year at a motorcycle shop in San Diego called North County Yamaha.
    Here is a link to their Tech Niche's website.
    http://www.techniche-intl.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    use a similar setup for use with level a hazmat suits, work on a heat sink principle. i think you'd need a well fitting vest for riding, though. might be a chafe-fest.

mtbr member
    A cooler vest will not work in 90 percent humidity, it works just like a swamp cooler. Heat is drawn away from the body by evaporative cooling, and in 90 percent humidity this will be negligible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My 661 Core cooler, they're shoulder pads that start at your neck, works well here but I live in AZ. Never tried them when humid. I use it above 90 degrees.
    $60 2 years ago, really don't use it much.
    661 claims it will cool up to 5 days!
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I ride motorcycles also and on hot days, a damp $5 bandana tied around the neck cools me down well!! I've yet to try it MTBing though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    661 in youth size are on sale for $10 thru the 661 site.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Those evaporative cooling vests work well in dry heat - I use mine for m/c and mtb, as well as at work or at home doing outside work. People may give you odd looks, 'cuz it looks like you've got on a quilted insulated garment. The vest holds about a pint of water per charge (1 lb- vest is ounces) and can go for up to 2 hours - keeps cooling until completely dry. For $30, an Excellent investment.

At 90% humidity, you won't get much cooling from an evap vest.

If you want something for those conditions, look for phase change materials. Military is using them now. Same idea as ice, except compound "melts" at about 65F. Pricey - $100 to 250. "Standard Cool Packs (containing 65 Fahrenheit phase change material technology) typically last 2 hours before recharging. Cool Vest Light packs are a pound lighter and typically last 1 hours. Placing the cool packs in ice water for only 20 minutes will bring them back to full capacity. " "Vest weight: 6 lb "
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I did the Mellow Johnnys Classic race in Dripping Springs Tx (Lance Armstrong's Ranch) a couple of weeks ago, and saw Canadian Pro Max Plaxton wearing a cooling vest during his warm up. I did'nt know what it was at first. Anyway, he ended up winning the race and gives credit to the cooling vest in the following article: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/us-...ountry/results
    I may not have the best of everything, but I have everything.

mtbr member

Have a Glacier Tech - works well

I purchased a Glacier Tech vest which uses a phase change material to provide cooling. It freezes at 59 degrees F.

Wore it on a long hot climb here in CO yesterday and worked well. Kept me cool. Temp outside was 85-90 at the start. Humidity is not an issue here as 15% is normal in the summer.

Weight is 4.8 lbs. The ice material was still pretty solid after a 90 minute steep climb. I am a bit husky and put out a ton of heat climbing.

Will try it on some other rides soon.

Members who have read this thread: 1