Converting hybrid 24" bike for light trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Converting hybrid 24" bike for light trail

I bought my daughter a 24" diamondback clarity hybrid thinking that she would never have any interest in trail riding. She is starting to show interest so I have been looking for a mountain bike, but they really seem to sell junk that is heavy and has a nonfunctional suntour fork. The clarity has a decent setup, with ridgid fork, but has hybrid tires.

Has anyone changed the tires out on a hybrid bike? I'm looking to put on 24" mtb tires, as they look like they would fit, at least to introduce her to light trail riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    As long as they fit between the forks and chain stays/seat stays ,why not. You could look for something used that might be more of a mountain bike.You might want to post in the family form.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    As long as they fit between the forks and chain stays/seat stays ,why not. You could look for something used that might be more of a mountain bike.You might want to post in the family form.
    Thanks, the fork and stays definitely have room. The frame is pretty much a mountain bike frame with a ridgid fork. Wasn't aware that there was afamily forum, so I have reposted there.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    A 24" with a rigid fork will feel pretty harsh on most trails. It'll probably be ok for basic fire road but dedicated mountain bike trails tend to be rockier and it may deter her from pursuing the sport further.

If you want to keep her optimistic about the sport, just be sure to highlight to her that a true mountain bike (a 26" with a suspension fork, or even a 27.5 or 29) will feel a lot nicer on those same trails.

mtbr member
    You can find a suspension fork for a 24" wheel. I would think it would be lower quality, but it has to be cheaper than buying a dedicated mountain bike. And it is at least something to get her started.

If she doesn't lose interest in the next 6 months you can look into a real mountain bike.

John

Edit: RST sells one real cheap and probably not very good, but your daughter is probably not going to need a lot at her weight.
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    A 24" with a rigid fork will feel pretty harsh on most trails. It'll probably be ok for basic fire road but dedicated mountain bike trails tend to be rockier and it may deter her from pursuing the sport further.

If you want to keep her optimistic about the sport, just be sure to highlight to her that a true mountain bike (a 26" with a suspension fork, or even a 27.5 or 29) will feel a lot nicer on those same trails.
    Should have mentioned that my daughter is 9 yrs old, about 4'5" and 62 lbs. i took a look at a few mountain bikes including the specialized hotrock, but the forks were so stiff that I could barely compress them.

The trails would mainly be fireroad at the beginning.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Ah, well in that case sounds like you're on the right track

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    yeah, if I can put on a set of decent tires it will be a start. It's too bad she doesn't fit on a 26", I have so many extra components.