Comparison of your bike spending vs your spouse's personal spending- Mtbr.com

Poll: How much does your spouse spend on personal items monthly? (clothing/personal care)

Dream it, Do it.

Comparison of your bike spending vs your spouse's personal spending

My wife was interested in seeing how much other wives spend on clothing/personal care items/personal care services (hair appts, manicure, pedicure, etc.)

How much does your spouse (female or male) spend per month on personal items? How does your bike spending compare to your spouse's personal spending?

banned
    Feb 2004
    I'd be more concerned about your own personal care spending, women prefer a well groomed man.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I'd be more concerned about your own personal care spending, women prefer a well groomed man.
    My wife makes sure that happens for me as well.

mtbr member
    Why are you equating personal care and bicycling?

I drop big coin on a bike every couple of years, but don't spend much aside from chains, tires, and grips in the interim.

My wife has her own gigs, on which she spends a commensurate amount, but it's not at the nail salon.

If your wife made you post this poll on mtbr, maybe you should seek counseling.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    And what about the wives who spend as much or more than their spouse on BIKE items?
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade :)

I like pie.
    My wife is more concerned about my physical, mental and spiritual health than how much is spent. She gives me a white card when it come to bike stuff and time spent riding. I give her a white card when it comes to her stuff. With that said we both are sensible. With skiing it is a different matter. We both ski. Talk about Carte Blanche!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ....and then the fight started.
    '01 Schwinn HG Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona JtS - '18 Rocky Mtn Altitude A30 - '19 Scott Spark RC Team

Dream it, Do it.
    So my interest is not justifying bike purchases, but understanding how much wives typically spend. My wife thinks that MANY wives spend $500 or more on clothing/hair care/personal care/cosmetics each month. I think that could be true in certain affluent areas such as in SoCal, but not true in general.

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    So my interest is not justifying bike purchases, but understanding how much wives typically spend. My wife thinks that MANY wives spend $500 or more on clothing/hair care/personal care/cosmetics each month. I think that could be true in certain affluent areas such as in SoCal, but not true in general.
    Hey, buddy a bit of advice. Let the wife spend what she wants. Be reasonable and spend what you need.

Want a divorce? Argue over money. If she is good with $500 per month to feel good about herself then...wow talk about having a white card for habits!

What is fair is fair. You, her same, same is cool. She need to feel pretty. You need to feel like a man. Hint. Discuss what Mtn biking means to you. It is not about being away from her. It is about recharging and being alone with your thoughts. Think of factors which will make you a better husband thru mtn biking. Clear head. ready to take on daily problems since you have had this time for yourself.

My wife used to resent my biking time until she discovered I became a "better husband" if I got my two hour fix three days a week. Now I have a white card. I use it wisely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My wife rides also. Plus she likes big diamond rings and
    things. We are both happy.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    Hey, buddy a bit of advice. Let the wife spend what she wants. Be reasonable and spend what you need.

Want a divorce? Argue over money. If she is good with $500 per month to feel good about herself then...wow talk about having a white card for habits!
    So it is all about curiosity on both of our parts on what other wives spend. We both wonder how some families are able to spend what they do without some sort of majorly illegal endeavor involved. If I started collecting and "sharing" information on what other husbands spend on bike stuff, now there would be the start of a good argument.

Dream it, Do it.
    Buying home improvement and gardening stuff makes my wife happy. All good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    In our household, I'm the fiscally irresponsible one- although not on cosmetics and grooming products (that's crazy). I go in cycles, and for some reason, over the last two months I've built a very nice MTB and nearly equalled that amount on clothing, components, repair stand, new tools, tool box, dropper post... now hopefully I'll go 8 months without spending anything!