Moderator Moderator

Which company do you support for bike related purchases?

While some bike parts can be pricier at local bike shops, I have found that other parts and gear can be comparable to online prices.

I believe that most of us support the LBS by purchasing gear and getting services done, but I know we don't turn down a good online deal. Plus, LBSs cannot possibly carry every option available.

When shopping online, which company or website do you like to support?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Always LBS if I can. On the rare occasions I can't, Jenson.

10 out of 10 on customer service for me. Could not be a better purchase experience.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Never the lbs. One shop somewhat near me is alright to deal with, if I must for a warranty. The other 10 are downright unpleasant, clearly looking to gouge any poor fool who walks in. Universal is 25 minutes away, but they stradle the line, so kind of the best of both worlds, I have bought 2 closeout frames from them with zero complaints. Merlin, CRC and bike-discount.de get me everything I need, and a basic set of tools does the rest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Always LBS if I can. On the rare occasions I can't, Jenson.

10 out of 10 on customer service for me. Could not be a better purchase experience.
    My shop charges me pretty close to full pop. I check what I can buy it for on line so I know how much I am paying them for what I need but....I like the Folks there and they do super work as I ask them to do some weird stuff sometimes and they always pull it off. At least I know how much more I paid the shop than on line. In the end, it was been mostly worth the extra money I spend in the LBS. I need them to stay in business so as long as I can afford it, I will continue to pay their prices.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My girl friend bought a saddle at a local shop ,decided she wanted another for her other bike .The LBS didn't have the same one one in stock ,order it on line ,it was about $2 more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I don't support any businesses. I buy based on what is good for me.

If a business wants my money, they have to provide a product or service I value. I'm not obligated to buy something just because someone decided to have large overhead and follow an outdated distribution and business model. A retailer from Europe can get me things faster and cheaper than an LBS. Bike maintenance at LBS cost several times more per mile or year than a car. Think about it.

No one buys a TV at bestbuy vs. Walmart or a cable package from DirectTV vs. ATT just to "support" the one over the other. it is all about (perceived) value they offer vs. cost. I don't buy a toyota over a Honda just to support the one or the other dealer.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

jcd's best friend
    I usually buy online from the shops in the Seattle-Bellingham area seeing I live 1-2hrs away from them. For me, its Transition, PNW Components, Fanatik Bike, and Mister Lost. I normally shop at Fanatik first and if they don't have the deal I'm looking for, I check out Jenson.

I might ask Fanatik if they price match Jenson USA. If so, I might buy more from them.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    JensonUSA 95% of the time.

slow
    Jenson
    CRC
    Performance
    Ebay
    Craigslist

No known cure
    I recently moved. Wanting to support the LBS, I went in to introduce myself and establish a relationship for consumables and bought a couple 26x2.4 tubes for my single speed. They rang up at just over $17.00 each after tax! Nothing special, just standard presta tubes. I LOLOLOLOL'd right out the door.

I had moved from a destination town where gouging on everything is the norm but there I could get a tube for six bucks without a homie hookup. I'm back in town for Thanksgiving and will support my friend's shop and stock up on everything before heading back.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Sneaker man
    I will try to through some $$ the way of my LBS from time to time, they are good guys, but quite often they just cant get stuff I want or if they can sometimes it's next day, sometimes it's 3 weeks you never know (not their fault at all).
    For me I used to use wiggle/crc a lot, but now its
    Bikebug
    Pushies
    Merlin
    are what I've used the most in the last couple of years, but I'm in Australia.
    All the gear and no idea.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I recently moved. Wanting to support the LBS, I went in to introduce myself and establish a relationship for consumables and bought a couple 26x2.4 tubes for my single speed. They rang up at just over $17.00 each after tax! Nothing special, just standard presta tubes. I LOLOLOLOL'd right out the door.

I had moved from a destination town where gouging on everything is the norm but there I could get a tube for six bucks without a homie hookup. I'm back in town for Thanksgiving and will support my friend's shop and stock up on everything before heading back.

I hope those include a happy ending at that price.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    I don't support particular companies, I support a particular customer's best interests. I've gotten great service from so many, and poor service from so few, that it's not unusual for me to load up the cart on several sites from my "good list" and go based on price, sometimes ordering different items from different places if that works out better.

Also buy from my LBS some, plus give them tools and parts I no longer need.

mtbr member
    A few in England are good:

Chain Reaction/Wiggle and Ribble

Tree Fort is good, price matches, and appears to be a LBS in the Ann Arbor area.

EBay and C'List for a bunch of stuff too.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I buy from who has what I need when I need it but most of the time when I go to the LBS come out empty handed. They offer to order but so can I so most of the time I shop online anyway. In the rare instance that the shop has what I need, is purchased there.

The last time I was at one of the local shops got no help, was able to find what I was looking for and even had to wait for someone to cash me out. Later they email me a link to a survey and when I gave them a low rating got an email back questioning me. Have a $25 store credit for my middle of the road review but don't think I'll give them any more of my business. This is the biggest, nicest shop around and the CS sucks, the one with the best CS has little inventory and depends on ordering so I stop there already knowing that will leave empty handed most of the time.

To answer the OP eBay and Jenson are my go to online.

mtbr member
    When it comes to parts, the LBS rarely can give you the price and selection of an on-line entity. I use Amazon, Jenson, REI, Nashbar/Performance, and anyone else with a good deal. I've found a few amazing items in the "Where are the Best Deals?" forum, like a $100 handlebar for $29. An LBS is never going to have a deal like that. Throw in an Active Junky discount and shopping on-line is even more attractive.

I support my LBS when I can, in fact, I just bought a bike from my LBS last week. I've had a great service relationship with them and wanted to expand on that. (Warranty, free loaner etc.) I do most of the maintenance and upgrading but there are few things I still go to my LBS for, wheel building, tubeless set-up and such. So I like to balance it. I recently paid $91 at my LBS for a tire that I could get for $73 on-line. It was a matter of convenience. The shop was prepping my new bike and I wanted a tire upgrade, so I ordered through them.
    AreBee

Snow Dog
    REI is where I go if the LBS does not have "every day" needs like tubes, oil etc. I get my biking clothes/jackets etc from REI because I also get most of my camping sundries from there as well.

I am lucky that the LBS I go to is good, and I have been using them/him since the early 90's so I know what they are about. He is a Surly "Galactic" or "Interstellar" (or whatever) dealer. Got a HUGE deal on my Krampus from him years ago.

I only order BMX stuff on line b/c we have no good BMX stores here in town...well, we have one that deals only in Haro stuff, and has a ton of really cool vintage stuff, but not a lot of new choices. Used to use Dan's Comp in that world, but they have gotten "weird" recently, so now I use Albes out of Michigan.
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Amazon 8 times out of 10. I can have most parts arrive at my house sooner than I'm able to arrange a trip to one of the LBS in the area. If I can't find it at Amazon, I'll likely use Trek Superstore, sometimes Trek website, sometimes Jenson. Sometimes...LBS. Price isn't usually the issue....availability is, along with how soon I can have it in my hands.
    Last edited by Cuyuna; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:38 AM.

since 4/10/2009
    I'm not especially loyal to any particular online retailer. Who I buy from tends to be more related to who has what. I'll often combine purchases on consumables, and if someone else lacks one of the items I need, then I look elsewhere until I find a place that has everything, even if I pay a little more for it.

When it comes to local shops, I live in an area with a glut of nice ones (destination riding area) that have lots of stuff in stock. I've visited a lot of them, and have definitely run into some ruleouts due to customer service type issues so I've at least narrowed my pool of shops that way.

Needed a new handlebar after my ride on Saturday, and I liked that I was able to just walk into the first shop I drove past, find a bar from their stock that I liked, and walk out with it. Sure, I paid msrp for it, but I was able to put it on my bike right when I got home, and was able to ride again on Monday. If that shop didn't have one I liked, I'm sure the shop across the street would have had one.