Cockroaches on Wheels: We rank as less than human.- Mtbr.com
    Land of the 230+

Cockroaches on Wheels: We rank as less than human.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...an-survey-says

This is why I dont ride on the road.

Bikesexual
    I read this the other day, but my opinion is some people are just selfish, distracted, morons.

Even when I'm driving, people still do stupid stuff on the road. I try to stay off the streets, but I do have to take some to get to my local rail trail, and I have a fun loop I do to a trail that has a bike lane.

I just try to do my part to be civilized, follow the rules, and be polite. Also very aware of my surroundings, and as visible as I can be.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

One ring to mash them all
    Cockroach? That's still higher on the evolutionary scale than some yeehawdist rolling coal on me from his small penis duramax.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and, uh Ö yeah, and clever."
    ó David St. Hubbins

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Cockroach? That's still higher on the evolutionary scale than some yeehawdist rolling coal on me from his small penis duramax.
    Hear, Hear! Friggin morons!
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

Rides all the bikes!
    Had someone blow their horn at me as they past me (I was in the bike lane). They just wanted to mess with me. They almost ran off the road a couple times, not sure if drunk or what. New minivan I am guessing belongs to mom.

Then a guy squeezes between me in the bike lane and the car in the right hand lane to make a right turn (I am also turning right). I give the hand sign for him to hang up his phone that he is holding to his ear. He pulls ahead of me, and puts a strong effort of ensuring I see him flipping me off.

Both incidents about 30 minutes apart yesterday. But, I am not going to quit road riding. I enjoy riding my bike. Assholes aren't going to ruin it for me.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Both incidents about 30 minutes apart yesterday. But, I am not going to quit road riding. I enjoy riding my bike. Assholes aren't going to ruin it for me.
    Yep!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Time to segue into a thread about concealed carry on a bike.

Monkey Wrangler
    Scientists believe the only thing that is going to survive a nuclear apocalypse is the lowly cockroach.

I wonder what tire is going to be best to ride on the scorched earth?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Exactly why I don't road ride. People are assholes. I can't control nor predict how people will act while driving on the road. I now live in Kansas City and the drivers here are the most aggressive and spiteful people I've ever had the displeasure to drive alongside with. I have very little faith that I would make it out unscathed or even alive if I go on a long road ride here.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This is why I like gravel riding in my state - which happens to have the second lowest population in America. I'll do a long ride and maybe see 3-4 cars and the drivers usually wave and smile.

People can be real a$$ holes. The more you get together in a confined region, the a$$ holes come out of the woodwork.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    I ride on the roads frequently and rarely get any grief. Maybe it's by region of the US or something...
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I ride on the roads frequently and rarely get any grief. Maybe it's by region of the US or something...
    Yup. Some places are simply more bike friendly than others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    This is why I like gravel riding in my state - which happens to have the second lowest population in America. I'll do a long ride and maybe see 3-4 cars and the drivers usually wave and smile.

People can be real a$$ holes. The more you get together in a confined region, the a$$ holes come out of the woodwork.
    Gravel is . 80-100km and see 3 cars and they slow down and wave here too.

You see animals and way nicer views. Look a single track dirt road, wonder where that goes? You take it.

Its like mixed xc and road, i enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Donít feel too bad, the same can be said for people on motor bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Gravel is . 80-100km and see 3 cars and they slow down and wave here too.

You see animals and way nicer views. Look a single track dirt road, wonder where that goes? You take it.

Its like mixed xc and road, i enjoy it.

Exactly! No dangers there! Except I did get chased by a pig once. Holy crap those things can move.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    I've done 4 IMs so have spent a lot of time on the road. I am one of the few "roadies" that actually bothers to stop at Stop Signs, hand signals, and am as courteous as absolutely possible. Some of the "highlights":

- Had 2 D batteries threw at my from a moving car as I was in the bike line, not even hugging the left either. They whistled past my head from behind going about 40 mph. If they would've hit me, would've been dead. The car swerved in front of me into the bike lane and flipped me off. The batteries bounced down the road I swear to god for like 1/4 of a mile.

- I had a truck pull up next to me, the passenger roll down the window and she flicked the cigarette she was smoking right at me. Fortunately they were immediately abreast of me and the wind took it, but WTF?

- Small corolla full of highschoolers. Same thing, pulls up next to, I'm in aero and going probably 25 mph in a bike line. Passenger backseat window rolls down, out comes a high velocity 40 oz / Big Gulp drink of soda. That one did hit me and resulted in soda all over me and my bike.

- Wife and I riding. She rides on occasion but situations like this have kept her off the road most of the time. We are going down the shoulder of a fairly rural road in single file with me behind her. I see a car start drifting across the center lane about 1/2 mile in front of us heading right at us. The car eventually got to their left (wrong lane) shoulder and straddled it coming right at us head on. We had absolutely nowhere to go. My wife started swerving left to get away and I yelled at her STOP!!!! knowing full well that the car was going to swerve back to their lane... and sure enough they did. If my wife would've went left, she would've been killed for sure. The car was probably going 40+mph.

I can't count the number of times I have been almost sideswiped, clipped due to people not understanding turning radius (especially big trucks), cut off while turning both left and right, and just have had people demonstrate an absolute disregard for my life through no fault of my own.

I ride my bike to work most days, and I always tell my wife, If I die an untimely early death, it is almost guaranteed to happen between our house and my work while riding to or from.
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

mtbr member
    I had one guy many years ago who couldn't stand the idea of me riding faster than him in slow traffic that he floored it...right into the back end of a stopped car.

I wouldn't live for a month riding the roads in my area.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by arkenzo View Post
    Donít feel too bad, the same can be said for people on motor bikes

That is what has stopped me from buying a motorbike.

A coworker of mine saw a woman run a red light and hit a motorbiker seriously injuring him and she said "it is only a motorcyclist..."
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post

A coworker of mine saw a woman run a red light and hit a motorbiker seriously injuring him and she said "it is only a motorcyclist..."
    *Punches coworker in face*
    "Don't worry, it's just your face"

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    *Punches coworker in face*
    "Don't worry, it's just your face"
    To be clear, my coworker didnt say that. The lady that ran the red did to my coworker after she had hit the motorcyclist.

since 4/10/2009
    stuff like this is why I'm very picky about where I ride my road bike.

mtbr member

When people strap themselves into these big boxes of steel and plastic, they lose their humanity.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    When people strap themselves into these big boxes of steel and plastic, they lose their minds.
    fify.

like the guy yesterday...wife and I were driving home from our short little camping trip. subaru crosstrek pulling our camper. Wife was driving it at the time. We were on a major controlled access highway, but businesses had driveway entrances in spots. Not quite interstate standards. Guy in a pickup truck speeds up to pass my wife, pulls in front of her, only to slam on his brakes to enter a gas station. Where is the f*cking sense in a traffic maneuver like that? Pull in behind the vehicle pulling the trailer rather than gamble on whether the vehicle plus trailer can stop fast enough for your idiocy.

mtbr member
    To be clear, my coworker didnt say that. The lady that ran the red did to my coworker after she had hit the motorcyclist.
    someone else deserved to get punched in the face, then. sorry, that sentence made it sound like you're coworker said that.

Trail Gnome
    Had someone blow their horn at me as they past me (I was in the bike lane). They just wanted to mess with me. They almost ran off the road a couple times, not sure if drunk or what. New minivan I am guessing belongs to mom.

Then a guy squeezes between me in the bike lane and the car in the right hand lane to make a right turn (I am also turning right). I give the hand sign for him to hang up his phone that he is holding to his ear. He pulls ahead of me, and puts a strong effort of ensuring I see him flipping me off.

The ďassholesĒ are going to ruin it for you...be careful out there

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    someone else deserved to get punched in the face, then. sorry, that sentence made it sound like you're coworker said that.
    Yeah it wasnt the best written. I hope that lady had the book thrown at her.

Cycologist
    Some of these posts are really making me appreciative of where I live and ride. I find people are generally very nice and, if they are paying attention, careful. I haven't had anything yelled at me in years (and in that instance, it was a college "slogan") and nothing thrown at me since I was a kid (knock on wood). Often drivers will stop and give me the right of way even when it belongs to them. It surprises me that California would be so cruel and redneck.

You really have to wonder what these people are thinking. I guess they think it is funny, even if you mildly crashed. I wonder how they would feel if you were seriously injured; would they be ok with themselves if that happened? Like whoever strung that wire up on a path the other day, resulting in a 70 yo man crashing and breaking multiple bones. When whoever did it heard what happened, would they be happy with themselves? Is that what they want or do they not think that far ahead?
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    But, I am not going to quit road riding. I enjoy riding my bike. Assholes aren't going to ruin it for me.
    That's not a decision you get to make actually, plenty of people have had cycling ruined for them by motorists... Sometimes permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    You really have to wonder what these people are thinking. I guess they think it is funny, even if you mildly crashed. I wonder how they would feel if you were seriously injured; would they be ok with themselves if that happened? Like whoever strung that wire up on a path the other day, resulting in a 70 yo man crashing and breaking multiple bones. When whoever did it heard what happened, would they be happy with themselves? Is that what they want or do they not think that far ahead?
    Did you read the article? These people literally think of cyclists as a lower class of human and so 'they get what they deserve.' I've heard some pretty awful stories, like those in here, that prove that at least a portion of the people that do this stuff would be happy to hear that the cyclist was seriously injured. Humans are a shit species.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    Yup. Some places are simply more bike friendly than others.
    Rarely do I encounter an aggressive driver. I certainly have in the past, but not much in my opinion. I'm also a cautious and defensive rider; always assuming the worst , if you will.

mtbr member
    Holy f*ck, where do some you live where motorists are such complete c*ck-lickers?

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Did you read the article? These people literally think of cyclists as a lower class of human and so 'they get what they deserve.' I've heard some pretty awful stories, like those in here, that prove that at least a portion of the people that do this stuff would be happy to hear that the cyclist was seriously injured. Humans are a shit species.
    The funny thing about that is cycling is not a cheap sport, and it requires quite a bit of wealth to participate. Sure, you don't have to spend a lot of money to ride, but there's a good chance the guy on the road bike has a lot more invested pound for pound in that bike than the guy driving a '01 ford fusion, or whatever beater.

Who's the real cockroach?

I'm always amazed how little respect I get when walking my dog. Cars always try to rush through intersections so they don't have to wait for us to cross the street, and I don't have much to defend myself other than a bag of dog shit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Holy f*ck, where do some you live where motorists are such complete c*ck-lickers?
    I want to live in fantasyland like you.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    The funny thing about that is cycling is not a cheap sport, and it requires quite a bit of wealth to participate. Sure, you don't have to spend a lot of money to ride, but there's a good chance the guy on the road bike has a lot more invested pound for pound in that bike than the guy driving a '01 ford fusion, or whatever beater.

Who's the real cockroach?

I'm always amazed how little respect I get when walking my dog. Cars always try to rush through intersections so they don't have to wait for us to cross the street, and I don't have much to defend myself other than a bag of dog shit.
    Honestly I think that's the problem - road cyclists just look like wealthy elitist types and clearly have free time to be out doing something 'pointless' while the guy in the truck is working his ass off just to make ends meet. Too many generalizations in there to be true anywhere near all the time, but I do think it's a contributor.

I used to work with underprivileged kids and experienced a similar (but without the hostility) reaction - 'you spend thousands of dollars on a bike so you can go ride around in the woods jumping off rocks like a little kid?' To those without the means, to not only buy the equipment but also make time to use it, the concept is entirely foreign and probably more than a little frustrating.

mtbr member
    Honestly I think that's the problem - road cyclists just look like wealthy elitist types and clearly have free time to be out doing something 'pointless' while the guy in the truck is working his ass off just to make ends meet. Too many generalizations in there to be true anywhere near all the time, but I do think it's a contributor.

I used to work with underprivileged kids and experienced a similar (but without the hostility) reaction - 'you spend thousands of dollars on a bike so you can go ride around in the woods jumping off rocks like a little kid?' To those without the means, to not only buy the equipment but also make time to use it, the concept is entirely foreign and probably more than a little frustrating.

Seems to me a lot of these people that are "working their@sses off" are driving around in $50,000 trucks with payments that are more than many peoples mortgages. They just have different priorities.

No matter what they think of cyclists it's pretty horrible that anyone would intentionally endanger someone's life because they don't agree with their pastime. Thankfully I've found 99% of drivers to be reasonably courteous, hopefully the other 1% will leave me be.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    1. Seems to me a lot of these people that are "working their@sses off" are driving around in $50,000 trucks with payments that are more than many peoples mortgages. They just have different priorities.
    We see it that way, but they don't I'm sure. Just like we see that we work hard and save to buy that nice bike and make time to ride it and they just think we're wealthy elitists... Always easy to say the 'other side' is doing it wrong and that's exactly my point.

But yes, to take that logic and use it to make bodily harm OK or even funny... That's just a mental disorder.

mtbr member
    We see it that way, but they don't I'm sure. Just like we see that we work hard and save to buy that nice bike and make time to ride it and they just think we're wealthy elitists... Always easy to say the 'other side' is doing it wrong and that's exactly my point.

But yes, to take that logic and use it to make bodily harm OK or even funny... That's just a mental disorder.
    The idea of class resentment leading to aggressive driving is pretty interesting. I hadn't thought much about it until you brought it up.

Rides all the bikes!
    Subdividing groups is what we do though. Then we dehumanize them. That's nothing new. We are just focusing on that because it is impacting us right now.

I will say that it is less than the 1% in my area that are assholes. For every 1000 cars, I probably deal with one asshole. Feels like a lot when there are 10,000 cars a week I pass by.

My concern aren't the assholes, my concern is with the ambivalent. The ones texting, speeding, weaving through traffic, that inevitably end up in the bike lane as that extra asphalt because run off space for them.

mtbr member
    The idea of class resentment leading to aggressive driving is pretty interesting. I hadn't thought much about it until you brought it up.

I'm not sure that class resentment has much to do with it, IME a soccer mom driving a brand new SUV is at leas as likely to cut you off as a blue collar dude in an old beat up Ford pickup, probably more so.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Bikesexual
    Some of these posts are really making me appreciative of where I live and ride. I find people are generally very nice and, if they are paying attention, careful. I haven't had anything yelled at me in years (and in that instance, it was a college "slogan") and nothing thrown at me since I was a kid (knock on wood). Often drivers will stop and give me the right of way even when it belongs to them. It surprises me that California would be so cruel and redneck.

CA is just an overcrowded, stressed out State. When I ride around my house, there is 5/6 cars x house!! Everyone wants to go first, the "intersection" comment made is huge!

People never stop at the white line, ever! You are lucky if people come to a complete stop. So, a shitload of cars, poor driving skills, and distracted drivers is all a bad combo. You add the traffic stress, the fact that everything takes 45minutes, doesn't matter what you do, and it sucks!

So far, nothing has been thrown at me, but I've been yelled that (which I don't get the joy on that one!) but traffic violations galore. Trying to take a lane is like your committing a crime, because no one wants to wait 30 seconds, or 2 minutes until I get to the bike lane. I'm lucky I don't always have to be on pavement, and most bike lanes here are wide enough where you can be "safe".
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I don't think it's just aggressive driving, but being aggressive to those who have the means in general. How many heated debates and arguments have started here in these very forums about someone who has the means to buy a Fox Factory Kashima fork, actually want to buy it knowing that there's not real benefit to the special coating, and got flamed and bashed for it? That's just one example. Or what about the guy who wants to get a Yeti or SC, and trolls come out of the woodwork to put him down for what he/she can afford? And that's within the same community for people.

The class resentment is much more apparent with differing communities of people. But I don't think it's always the case for drivers being complete dicks to cyclists. There are some people who simply believe that anything non-motorized don't belong on public roads. Or they feel like the cyclist is preventing them from speeding, etc. Lots of reasons.

mtbr member

True, but if only they knew how poor I really am. I sacrifice money for time on the bike, a totally fair trade in my opinion.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    There are some people who simply believe that anything non-motorized don't belong on public roads. Or they feel like the cyclist is preventing them from speeding, etc. Lots of reasons.

I think this^ pretty much nails it.
    I brake for stinkbugs

CEO Product Failure
    Where do the Amish stack up in all this??

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I've noticed it in general with my outdoor hobbies. Rednecks (don't mean offense, just can't think of a more descriptive term) have often said to me something along the lines (and once this verbatim) of 'why can't you do a real outdoor hobby like fishing or hunting.' They see us as no different from kids obsessed with video games or Dungeons and Dragons - elitist 'pansies' with too much time and money.

Which is funny because I do more for the outdoors and spend more time in the outdoors than most of these guys that say I'm not a true outdoorsman because I don't kill things while I'm out.

I'm not sure that class resentment has much to do with it, IME a soccer mom driving a brand new SUV is at leas as likely to cut you off as a blue collar dude in an old beat up Ford pickup, probably more so.
    She's being careless, not malicious. I was talking about those that are being malicious, like throwing D batteries. Something is fueling that anger, I believe at the root of it is often resentment for the opportunities they perceive as being afforded to the cyclist and not to them.

But I don't think it's always the case for drivers being complete dicks to cyclists. There are some people who simply believe that anything non-motorized don't belong on public roads. Or they feel like the cyclist is preventing them from speeding, etc. Lots of reasons.
    It's definitely not 'always' the case. Nothing is ever 'always' the case. I do think it is part of it though. Even the scenario you give (being irritated that cyclists are a nuisance) could be predicated by a feeling of resentment towards them - if you didn't resent cyclists (as I don't) then you'd be more likely to regard that slight nuisance as worth it for their enjoyment (as I do) wouldn't you?

True, but if only they knew how poor I really am. I sacrifice money for time on the bike, a totally fair trade in my opinion.
    So true. I work at a shop to be able to afford my bike and I choose to be poor instead of working more hours so that I can actually ride it.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I feel like it's the person who is running late or going home from work that's the most dangerous.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Rarely do I encounter an aggressive driver. I certainly have in the past, but not much in my opinion. I'm also a cautious and defensive rider; always assuming the worst , if you will.
    Keep your head on a swivel.

mtbr member
    She's being careless, not malicious. I was talking about those that are being malicious, like throwing D batteries. Something is fueling that anger, I believe at the root of it is often resentment for the opportunities they perceive as being afforded to the cyclist and not to them.
    ^^^THIS. There are two classes of drivers, well I'll throw in a third, old drivers, but thats different as well, that behave "badly" around cyclists. The problem is, either one can kill you just as easily as the other.

I have learned now to immediately slow down when someone pulls up beside me matching my speed. Think about that, it happens enough that it has impacted my behavior and now is a survival instinct. I gave three examples of things being thrown at me, but it has actually happened more than that and the pulling up and getting close and yelling thing is unfortunately not uncommon as well.

One of the reasons I "re-started" MTBing is because I just was starting to feel very unsafe on the road despite my best intentions to avoid these types of scenarios. I now of course know MTBing is vastly superior to road riding in every possible way, but that's for a different topic!

People who are reading this thinking, "Wow I am so glad this has never happened to me" better keep their head on a swivel. As someone else mentioned, even 1% of all drivers acting like this (and we all know the % is MUCH higher) means that for every 100 cars that pass you, one is probably thinking malicious thoughts. And the reality is, eventually one of them will act on it
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickiní sweet!

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    Actual serious post, this is the area where I like to ride. The motorists are use to the horse and buggy being on the roadway. They're not upset with slow moving traffic. Their way of life is much slower than someone in the city, there's not a lot of traffic, and I never have issues. I try to avoid cities/towns and go to areas that time doesn't touch where people stop to smell the flowers. I know a lot of you don't have that option, but where I live there is still a lot of farmland.

I choose roads like this and here are a couple views.

Cockroaches on Wheels:  We rank as less than human.-rita.jpg

Cockroaches on Wheels:  We rank as less than human.-fleming.jpg

Cockroaches on Wheels:  We rank as less than human.-ccc.jpg

Cycologist
    Just came across this on my local Nextdoor:

Please note the proper use of the horn when approaching bikers. Short tap Iím speeding to get around you fast move over so the wind blast doesnít bother you, medium tap I have to get this text done and canít watch the road right now so give me plenty of room, long blasts Iím out trolling for road kill please stay in the middle of the lane so I have a good angle

It had two thanks.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    My comment was more directed towards aggressive driving. The soccer mom is distracted.

mtbr member
    Just came across this on my local Nextdoor:

Please note the proper use of the horn when approaching bikers. Short tap Iím speeding to get around you fast move over so the wind blast doesnít bother you, medium tap I have to get this text done and canít watch the road right now so give me plenty of room, long blasts Iím out trolling for road kill please stay in the middle of the lane so I have a good angle

It had two thanks.

I give the short double horn tap after I pass them, which means kudos!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    My comment was more directed towards aggressive driving. The soccer mom is distracted.

Still don't really agree. I don't think its class resentment, more like jerks vs. reasonable people.

A few weeks ago I was talking to a guy who hauls sulfuric acid for mines and rides his Harley on the weekends. I didn't know him and he's probably not the type of dude you'd think was a cyclists ally but he said he sees me on the road all the time and has nothing but respect for me, told me to be careful out there and watch out for idiots.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    A few weeks ago I was talking to a guy who hauls sulfuric acid for mines and rides his Harley on the weekends. I didn't know him and he's probably not the type of dude you'd think was a cyclists ally but he said he sees me on the road all the time and has nothing but respect for me, told me to be careful out there and watch out for idiots.
    I mean he does ride motorbikes and they have to deal with the same kind of idiots.

mtbr member
    I mean he does ride motorbikes and they have to deal with the same kind of idiots.

It's not the same deal when you're going the same speed as cars. Still, I get a wave back from 8/10 motorcycles I encounter.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Downcountry AF
    I won't get on a motorcycle without a full face, protective jacket, pants, boots, and gloves with skid plates.

Very different scenario when I'm commuting in street clothes or on my way to the trail. I hate riding a bike on the road in any capacity and try to avoid it whenever possible. I know at best I'm annoying drivers and at worst a non-human grease spot. I try to avoid the latter.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    I've done 4 IMs so have spent a lot of time on the road. I am one of the few "roadies" that actually bothers to stop at Stop Signs, hand signals, and am as courteous as absolutely possible. Some of the "highlights":

- Had 2 D batteries threw at my from a moving car as I was in the bike line, not even hugging the left either. They whistled past my head from behind going about 40 mph. If they would've hit me, would've been dead. The car swerved in front of me into the bike lane and flipped me off. The batteries bounced down the road I swear to god for like 1/4 of a mile.

- I had a truck pull up next to me, the passenger roll down the window and she flicked the cigarette she was smoking right at me. Fortunately they were immediately abreast of me and the wind took it, but WTF?

- Small corolla full of highschoolers. Same thing, pulls up next to, I'm in aero and going probably 25 mph in a bike line. Passenger backseat window rolls down, out comes a high velocity 40 oz / Big Gulp drink of soda. That one did hit me and resulted in soda all over me and my bike.

- Wife and I riding. She rides on occasion but situations like this have kept her off the road most of the time. We are going down the shoulder of a fairly rural road in single file with me behind her. I see a car start drifting across the center lane about 1/2 mile in front of us heading right at us. The car eventually got to their left (wrong lane) shoulder and straddled it coming right at us head on. We had absolutely nowhere to go. My wife started swerving left to get away and I yelled at her STOP!!!! knowing full well that the car was going to swerve back to their lane... and sure enough they did. If my wife would've went left, she would've been killed for sure. The car was probably going 40+mph.

I can't count the number of times I have been almost sideswiped, clipped due to people not understanding turning radius (especially big trucks), cut off while turning both left and right, and just have had people demonstrate an absolute disregard for my life through no fault of my own.

I ride my bike to work most days, and I always tell my wife, If I die an untimely early death, it is almost guaranteed to happen between our house and my work while riding to or from.
    With as many experiences in the negative like that, I am seriously recommending the Cycliq front/rear light/cameras. Consider the expense an insurance policy to hopefully recover losses for your estate (wife) or prosecute the felonious acts that have been purveyed on you.

I have the rear camera/light and will be buying the front now that it's out for a couple years. It was in beta when I bought the rear camera so I waited but the rear works really, really well. The front is pretty well dialed now. I use it on every single ride I do on the road. Getchya a RoadID, too. Been wearing one and using their free tracking service since it started years ago.

https://cycliq.com/
    www.roadid.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Louisiana.

But we just moved to Michigan. Much more friendly cycling culture up here.

But I still prefer gravel and dirt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

I work nights...so naturally I can ride during the day. I had neighbors once who assumed I was unemployed because I was always coming back to the house on my bike when they were coming home from work.

Formerly of Kent
    I wish it was easy to pin it to something like some sort of socioeconomic factor, but it's not.

1) I got hit by a Caddy SRX going 55mph while doing intervals one day. I was visiting my parents in Chicago. Guy didn't stop. Pretty wealthy area, and lots of cyclists. Lots of doctors and lawyers on bikes.

2) Had a gun drawn on me in GA. Military town. Pickup truck.

3) Had a guy threaten to kill me in VA. Just a couple miles from where I lived, and I knew where he lived because I'd seen his truck parked earlier, a Dodge duallie. Valley road with no way out of the valley for 10 miles in either direction, so he was pretty stupid to think I wouldn't know where he lived. I won't repeat what I said to him here. Self incrimination and all that.

4) Had a guy roll coal on me in CO. Saw him do it to someone else before that, too. Got his plates, reported him to the police. But I'm guessing nothing came of it, as I never heard back from them.

And more general harassment than I can remember. I've forgotten quite a few of them. Had people stop short in a bike lane, cut me off, etc. Had one guy try to run me and a friend off the road.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Goat View Post
    Scientists believe the only thing that is going to survive a nuclear apocalypse is the lowly cockroach.
    Yeah, they can survive a nuclear blast, but not Scottish weather...

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I wish it was easy to pin it to something like some sort of socioeconomic factor, but it's not.

1) I got hit by a Caddy SRX going 55mph while doing intervals one day. I was visiting my parents in Chicago. Guy didn't stop. Pretty wealthy area, and lots of cyclists. Lots of doctors and lawyers on bikes.

3) Had a guy threaten to kill me in VA. Just a couple miles from where I lived, and I knew where he lived because I'd seen his truck parked earlier, a Dodge duallie. Valley road with no way out of the valley for 10 miles in either direction, so he was pretty stupid to think I wouldn't know where he lived. I won't repeat what I said to him here. Self incrimination and all that.

4) Had a guy roll coal on me in CO. Saw him do it to someone else before that, too. Got his plates, reported him to the police. But I'm guessing nothing came of it, as I never heard back from them.

And more general harassment than I can remember. I've forgotten quite a few of them. Had people stop short in a bike lane, cut me off, etc. Had one guy try to run me and a friend off the road.
    I've had similar experiences when I'm closer to town.

1. Coal rolling - more than once

2. Old man threatened to run over me in his pickup truck when I held him up for maybe 10 seconds after a stop light turned green. My turn was directly after the light.

3. I did think I was going to get hit head on. Similar situation to what someone posted earlier. Someone was in the wrong lane coming directly at us, but looked up and realized it and whipped it back into their lane.

4. This happened in a nearby area. A FB group, NKY hates cyclists, which is a suburb of Cincinnati. https://local12.com/news/local/local...e-against-them

There have also been some great memories by people I have never met.

1. One day someone flagged me down to talk about the tour de france.

2. Kids cheering you on

3. Century rides and volunteers

4. Seeing new towns and eating at mom and pop diners with friends

5. My wife riding up the mountain for the first time outside of town.

Most people are very friendly, but you don't forget about the moments mentioned above.

mtbr member
    I want to live in fantasyland like you.
    I've been road riding for many years with only a few memorable problems. Feel free to move here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I can't help but laugh at the bias of some riders who seemingly think that they and all cyclists are saints who never do wrong by anyone. Meanwhile the reality is far different and cyclists are some of the most selfish individuals on the road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    It's not the same deal when you're going the same speed as cars. Still, I get a wave back from 8/10 motorcycles I encounter.
    Granted. But they still don't get seen and from talking to some motorcycle riders, they are on the receiving end of aggression from people in cars.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I can't help but laugh at the bias of some riders who seemingly think that they and all cyclists are saints who never do wrong by anyone. Meanwhile the reality is far different and cyclists are some of the most selfish individuals on the road.
    What can I cyclist do that even compares to coal rolling? or throwing an object out of a car? or yelling bullshit out of the car?

Plus, you will find jerks in every aspect of life. Those cyclists that don't follow the rules or the road, also don't follow them on their car, or at work and are dicks in every aspect of their lives, even in mountain biking or any variation of the sport.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

This is why I will not ride on the road.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I haven't seen a single post in here complaining about drivers who run stop signs, don't use turn signals, speed or any of the other mundane illegal maneuvers most of us are guilty of at one time or another. Sure, cyclists are guilty of those just as frequently (maybe even more frequently if we count kids and non-enthusiasts) as drivers, but that isn't what is being discussed. The bad behavior by drivers described in this thread (throwing things, intentionally getting close, etc.) is assault. I have yet to hear a single instance of a cyclist assaulting a driver unprovoked - heard the opposite dozens of times.

So you're saying that if you don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign you deserve to have D batteries hurled at you by someone who doesn't understand how vehicle speed and projectile speed compound?

Formerly of Kent

Cockroaches on Wheels: We rank as less than human.

So, not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign means I should be intentionally hit by cars or have guns drawn on me?

This is nonsensical.

When last I checked, the local PD was responsible for handing out tickets. Angry motorists don't get to be judge, jury and (sometimes literally) executioner, no matter how just they think their cause.

Last edited by Le Duke; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:42 PM.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    As a motorist, you have agreed, in writing, three times, that cyclists and pedestrians have the right to be on the road and that as a driver, you DO NOT have the right to be there. It is a privilege granted to you by the state, provided you comply with certain rules and regulations - one of which is you don't get to drive however you like.

As a 24/7/365/32 year commuter, I do understand your point that many cyclists should be behaving better on the road.
    Is this where I write something witty?

Rides all the bikes!
    With the combination of my experience, this thread, and joining several hundred riders in memorial of a local rider involved in a hit and run last month (we were only acquaintances), I broke down and replaced my failed Cycliq 12 and beat to hell 6. Hopefully the combination of the crash detection on my GPS plus the cameras will at least give my family and friends answers if something happens to me.

I don't know how many people attended, but there were at least 90 Strava users. I imagine only 1/3 to 1/4 of the people there use Strava. No witnesses to the collision, we'll likely never know what happened. Second person in a few years I have known and ridden with locally to be hit and killed with no answers.

You can see in the article how wide the bike lane is. Very popular and scenic route.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pe....ia-avenue/amp/

https://www.strava.com/activities/2323593746
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cockroaches on Wheels:  We rank as less than human.-img_20190427_092001802_burst000_cover.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    I have been following the Amish thoughts on this issue. Local governments have been doing every thing they can to prevent the Amish from using the roads. Some where around 2011 a federal judge ruled that preventing the Amish from using horses and wagons from using the roads is a violation of the religious freedom clause freedom clause of the United States Constitution. Some Amish use bicycles and this has never been tested in the courts. The Amish are fatalists. They believe if they get hit it was God's will and they will do nothing about tit.
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    Because of this thread, I just ordered one of these. Half my time on a bike is road riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    With as many experiences in the negative like that, I am seriously recommending the Cycliq front/rear light/cameras. Consider the expense an insurance policy to hopefully recover losses for your estate (wife) or prosecute the felonious acts that have been purveyed on you.

I have the rear camera/light and will be buying the front now that it's out for a couple years. It was in beta when I bought the rear camera so I waited but the rear works really, really well. The front is pretty well dialed now. I use it on every single ride I do on the road. Getchya a RoadID, too. Been wearing one and using their free tracking service since it started years ago.

https://cycliq.com/
    www.roadid.com