Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,478

    Cleaning yourself up after a ride (Zodi Extreme SC)

    I know there have been threads about cleaning up after a ride, and I know that some of you (too many) like to drive home in your soiled riding duds, but this is for people who may be stopping at a restaurant after the ride and want to be clean. Winter is coming, so it's going to get sloppy out there.

    Name:  extreme-s-c.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  22.2 KB

    The Zodi™ Extreme™ Self-Contained (SC) shower is a multi-functional portable hot shower great for outdoor adventures, camping, backcountry experiences and even disaster preparedness! The Zodi™ Extreme™ Shower is easy to use! Simply add 3 gallons of water to the tank, assemble tri-pod stove, place Extreme™ Tank on Stove and heat.

    The Zodi™ Extreme™ Shower is built from stainless steel and features a metal hand-pump that lasts for years. The Extreme™ shower has a convenient on/off control valve and a 6 ft shower hose with a water-saving showerhead. The Zodi™ Extreme™ SC Shower model includes a 10,000 BTU multi-purpose stove for heating the shower and is great for cooking. The Zodi™ Extreme™ Shower includes an on-tank shower pole holder and storage bag for extra convenience. The Zodi™ Extreme™ SC Shower is the best self-contained hot shower.
    $180 bucks. Extreme Self-Contained Portable Hot Shower | A complete System with convenient Stove | Zodi.com
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

  2. #2
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,757
    So it's like baby-wipes, but a lot more trouble to set up and deal with?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    803
    Nice marriage of a turkey fryer and Hudson sprayer, but not for me. If I were to go for something like at I would just go for a turkey fryer and heat water in the pot and use a wash cloth. But yeah, baby wipes...

  4. #4
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    I'm keen to hear some passionate stories around this product.

  5. #5
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,008
    I think I'd get arrested taking a shower at the trailhead. How big is that canister anyway?

    If I were to want hot water at the trailhead I think I would just put some in a HydroFlask. Those things will keep water hot for hours.

  6. #6
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,036
    Thankfully there are so many bikers in my area that going to most restaurants after a ride wearing a hat and sweaty biking clothes is pretty common. I'm not talking fine dining obviously, but for a pub, I may even be be in the majority, especially if it was on the west side of the city.

    Using that product would present challenges to me 1000x worse than going anywhere unshowered after a ride. A classic case of the cure being worse than the disease.

    I wear my blood and sweat proudly post-ride.

  7. #7
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,008
    If I need to clean up at the trailhead after a ride I use a wet washcloth. Good enough for post-ride burritos. For fine dining I go home and take a proper shower.

  8. #8
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,486
    It’s actually a great invention if you don’t mind scalding yourself prior to the restaurant.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  9. #9
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,040
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Thankfully there are so many bikers in my area that going to most restaurants after a ride wearing a hat and sweaty biking clothes is pretty common. I'm not talking fine dining obviously, but for a pub, I may even be be in the majority, especially if it was on the west side of the city.

    Using that product would present challenges to me 1000x worse than going anywhere unshowered after a ride. A classic case of the cure being worse than the disease.

    I wear my blood and sweat proudly post-ride.
    I'm with Mike, literally was with Mike this summer. Great to meet and ride with you. We went to our local micro brew with the gravel patio, where their are usually dirty, sweaty mountainbikers. They have a concrete floor inside and across the street at the pizza shop. We have left big puddles post ride inside these establishments, but they are always welcoming. When I'm stinking it helps clear space at a table.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  10. #10
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,040
    It does look good for camping.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  11. #11
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I'm with Mike, literally was with Mike this summer. Great to meet and ride with you. We went to our local micro brew with the gravel patio, where their are usually dirty, sweaty mountainbikers. They have a concrete floor inside and across the street at the pizza shop. We have left big puddles post ride inside these establishments, but they are always welcoming. When I'm stinking it helps clear space at a table.
    Indeed. Thank you again to you and your crew for all your hospitality and masterful trail guiding. My daughter still talks about it.

    That last day of riding was epic. And yes, I left a little part of me on the floor at your local micro brew pub afterwards...

    Cleaning yourself up after a ride (Zodi Extreme SC)-fullsizeoutput_6d.jpg

    Cleaning yourself up after a ride (Zodi Extreme SC)-fullsizeoutput_5f.jpg

  12. #12
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,040
    I left some blood there the other day.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,882
    If cold is a problem, then how about running a baby wipes warmer off a battery pack?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,728
    At our 24 races, everyone brings gallons of water. We'd take the emptied gallon jugs, fill them with campsite water, set them by the fire and they'd warm up mightily. After poking some holes in the lid, it becomes a very nice warm to hot shower.

    Word.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    If I need to clean up at the trailhead after a ride I use a wet washcloth. Good enough for post-ride burritos. For fine dining I go home and take a proper shower.
    Yup.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

  16. #16
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,373
    Save $160 and get one of these instead.

    Cleaning yourself up after a ride (Zodi Extreme SC)-sunshower.jpg

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    It’s actually a great invention if you don’t mind scalding yourself prior to the restaurant.
    I looked at the website. What I assumed was a pressure relief valve between the tank and the hose is actually an on/off valve. To scald one's self one must be sure to pull it off the fire before it explodes...

    Myth Busters loved playing with hot water heaters with no relief valves.

  18. #18
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,486
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    I looked at the website. What I assumed was a pressure relief valve between the tank and the hose is actually an on/off valve. To scald one's self one must be sure to pull it off the fire before it explodes...
    Scary contraption. It should also have a temp regulater / thermostat with an alarm letting you know when it’s time to take it off the fire and enjoy a shower.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  19. #19
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,576
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Scary contraption. It should also have a temp regulater / thermostat with an alarm letting you know when it’s time to take it off the fire and enjoy a shower.
    No joke. I wouldn't drag something like this (along with the propane tank) just for a ride, but I definitely want some sort of warm shower arrangement so I can clean off when I'm boondock camping.


    20170422_190650 by Nate, on Flickr

    The lack of safety systems (a thermostat/relief valve, definitely!) makes this really sketchy.

    When it comes down to it, this is way cheaper if you want heated water. Add a pump and a tank and you still aren't all that expensive. I've been thinking of a way I could do something like this with an external water tank and pump.

    One of these is pretty cool, but fairly expensive. The solar bag beats it easily in cost. Though the drawbacks to those solar options are that they won't do much under shady/cloudy conditions, or when temps get too cold.

    Add a cheap privacy tent and you're ready to go.

    For day rides, with no camping involved, a baby wipe bath covers the bases. Freshen up the deodorant, and pack some clean clothes.

  20. #20
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,717
    Seems like the primary attraction of this device is the hotness of the water. I take cold showers so that saves a benjamin.

  21. #21
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Seems like the primary attraction of this device is the hotness of the water. I take cold showers so that saves a benjamin.
    “Cold showers”? Well that explains where your mind is most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  22. #22
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    No joke. I wouldn't drag something like this (along with the propane tank) just for a ride, but I definitely want some sort of warm shower arrangement so I can clean off when I'm boondock camping.


    20170422_190650 by Nate, on Flickr

    The lack of safety systems (a thermostat/relief valve, definitely!) makes this really sketchy.

    When it comes down to it, this is way cheaper if you want heated water. Add a pump and a tank and you still aren't all that expensive. I've been thinking of a way I could do something like this with an external water tank and pump.

    One of these is pretty cool, but fairly expensive. The solar bag beats it easily in cost. Though the drawbacks to those solar options are that they won't do much under shady/cloudy conditions, or when temps get too cold.

    Add a cheap privacy tent and you're ready to go.

    For day rides, with no camping involved, a baby wipe bath covers the bases. Freshen up the deodorant, and pack some clean clothes.
    There must be other options out there. Overland rigs are so popular now and camping has evolved so much. I’d go search some of those sites for a solution. Most of these things can be easily duplicated for a fraction of the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  23. #23
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    “Cold showers”? Well that explains where your mind is most of the time.
    Haha, there's quite a few people who do it, most inspired by Wim Hof.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    173
    no shower for me in a parking lot with air temps below 40

  25. #25
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,486
    Quote Originally Posted by winginit View Post
    no shower for me in a parking lot with air temps below 40
    Sound like you’re “winginit”.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  26. #26
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Haha, there's quite a few people who do it, most inspired by Wim Hof.
    “Wim Hof”?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  27. #27
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,576
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    There must be other options out there. Overland rigs are so popular now and camping has evolved so much. I’d go search some of those sites for a solution. Most of these things can be easily duplicated for a fraction of the cost.
    Overlanders really like the portable on demand water heaters. They put em in an otter box and mount to the exterior of their vehicle.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,767
    A bottle of water, towel, and change of clothes is good enough, otherwise it was too fancy a joint anyways,

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,783
    Let's see... in addition to all my bike gear, now you're suggesting a tank, propane bottle, burner, soap, towels, change of clothes, shoes, etc. You finish a ride and need another hour to set up, heat up, clean up and pack up all your crap? No thanks.

    And if you need to go to a restaurant after a ride, just manage your time properly so you can get home and cleaned up.

    Now, if you're camping, it's a whole different story! Though the scalding threat does take away from the appeal.

  30. #30
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,486
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Let's see... in addition to all my bike gear, now you're suggesting a tank, propane bottle, burner, soap, towels, change of clothes, shoes, etc. You finish a ride and need another hour to set up, heat up, clean up and pack up all your crap? No thanks.

    And if you need to go to a restaurant after a ride, just manage your time properly so you can get home and cleaned up.

    Now, if you're camping, it's a whole different story! Though the scalding threat does take away from the appeal.
    Putting some perspective on it. OP, it’s time you rethink this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  31. #31
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,757
    Well, the real question for FP is do you wash the technu off, or leave it on for maximum effect?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  32. #32
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,478
    https://www.treadmagazine.com/new-pr.../shower-pouch/

    Shower Pouch. 'Only' $5 a pop. Maybe a damp washcloth in a Ziplock would have the same effect.

    Cleaning yourself up after a ride (Zodi Extreme SC)-close-1024x768.jpg
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

  33. #33
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Well, the real question for FP is do you wash the technu off, or leave it on for maximum effect?
    I'm soaking in it!

    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

  34. #34
    Nutrailer
    Reputation: JackWare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    378
    Time for new glasses, I mistook the burner for the shower head and had visions of standing there with the tripod on my head.......
    What a perfect waste of time

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    173
    Left over water from the water bottle and paper towels . Am in like new!

  36. #36
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,717
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    “Wim Hof”?
    Check out his books.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,153
    Always a stream or river in the Cascades. Of course it's near ice cold which is part of the charm. I find I can get quite clean in glacial run off with fine till, like I used soap clean. I have holes picked out all over the PNW. Always fun to witness the howls and grimace of the uninitiated. McKenzie runs at 37° and some of the mtn streams feel colder still. Good for the post ride legs and knees too!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,926
    has anyone used this thing?

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,522
    I have a hunting buddy that is pretty fanatical about showering. He has a Zodi and loves it. I got to use it on some hunting trips and it was pretty nice being able to take a warm shower in the boonies.

    His was a rectangular box sitting over a propane bottle.
    Do the math.

  40. #40
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Haha, there's quite a few people who do it, most inspired by Wim Hof.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    “Wim Hof”?
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Check out his books.
    A quick Google search told me everything I needed to know. That dude is not human to being able to do those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  41. #41
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    has anyone used this thing?
    No. They haven't sold a single unit.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,153
    Regarding one of Him Wof's "pillars", fulling dunking oneself in ice cold water is extremely calming. No doubt about it.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Regarding one of Him Wof's "pillars", fulling dunking oneself in ice cold water is extremely calming. No doubt about it.
    No. I will not jump in freezing water

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  44. #44
    No good in rock gardens..
    Reputation: Sideknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,267
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Save $160 and get one of these instead.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SunShower.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	1222252
    Those things are pretty good.
    Less isn't MOAR

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    No. I will not jump in freezing water

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Just dunk your head and count to 1000.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Similar Threads

  1. Ever push yourself or ride so hard you make yourself "sick"?
    By JookupVandetti in forum Riding Passion and Stories
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-18-2015, 06:55 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 06:37 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 08:57 PM
  5. Cleaning up your ride after a ride
    By lamrith in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 06:00 PM

Members who have read this thread: 141

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.