Cigarettes- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: Do you smoke cigarettes?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    27 14.44%
  • No

    106 56.68%
  • No, I quit for or because of biking

    15 8.02%
  • No, I quit for other reasons

    39 20.86%
Results 1 to 88 of 88

Thread: Cigarettes

  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325

    Cigarettes

    I was thinking about this last night in bed. Myself, I'm 19, and I smoked for a little over a year. From when I was 18 until about a month ago. I don't plan on starting again either... though I can't refuse a nice cigar when I'm having a few drinks.

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    392
    I smoked pretty heavily in college...also used Copenhagen. After college, I pretty much knocked out the smoking (only smoked while drinking), but kept with the Copenhagen. Now 30 yrs. old, I quit the Copenhagen 6 months ago, but I still have a weakness for cigarettes while drinking beer. For this reason, I don't drink very often.

    I don't know what it is about beer that makes me want a choke so bad. For me, they go together like peanut butter and jelly.

  3. #3
    Humpmaster general
    Reputation: Jack Hass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    449
    Every time I am with my kids and we see someone smoke, I tell them that you can tell the person is stupid, because they are smoking. I also tell them that all people that smoke are stupid and there is no exception to this rule.

    I am also pretty aggressive when it comes to second hand smoke, I will tell you to put the cigarette out If I can smell the smoke even outside.

    I hate smokers. there stupid
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

  4. #4
    Lopen is sneller....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    529
    A long time ago me and some friends did a little field test......we agreed to go out one night and smoke and one night without smoking. Then we went out for our all time favorite ride the day after......we then compared averages and such......

    I turned out to be 4 km p/h faster without smoking........not acurate at all ofcourse but it made me stop smoking all together. Sometimes when going out, drinking beer I'm wondering again how it would be.........

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,057
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I was thinking about this last night in bed. Myself, I'm 19, and I smoked for a little over a year. From when I was 18 until about a month ago. I don't plan on starting again either... though I can't refuse a nice cigar when I'm having a few drinks.
    I knew I wanted my girlfriend to become my wife the night I decided to quit so she wouldn't have to be around it. August '96.

    I'll choke down a stogie once a year or so (has to be a nice one - no philly blunts for me), and for some reason I've recently felt like picking up a pipe and some tobacco. Go figure.

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,057
    Stoopid survur
    Last edited by Drewdane; 08-02-2005 at 07:05 AM.

  7. #7
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I was thinking about this last night in bed. Myself, I'm 19, and I smoked for a little over a year. From when I was 18 until about a month ago. I don't plan on starting again either... though I can't refuse a nice cigar when I'm having a few drinks.
    I smoked for a loooong time (14 yrs).

    Some things I noticed
    No cute girls smoke
    Girls who were cute at one time and kept smoking became sallow wrinkly hags by their early 30's.

    And Jack - if you had told me to put out my cigarette, I would have complied - by flicking it in your face.
    Last edited by forkboy; 08-02-2005 at 07:04 AM.

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzzi
    A long time ago me and some friends did a little field test......we agreed to go out one night and smoke and one night without smoking. Then we went out for our all time favorite ride the day after......we then compared averages and such......

    I turned out to be 4 km p/h faster without smoking........not acurate at all ofcourse but it made me stop smoking all together. Sometimes when going out, drinking beer I'm wondering again how it would be.........
    I had a similar experience. I've been a cross country runner since 7th grade... I stopped running competitively junior year of high school, due to tendonitis in my knees. I still run for fitness, however. I started smoking in college and still running, and I found I wasn't as fast. As I was getting more into running and back into mtb'ing, I realised I couldn't do em all, just not for me.

    After about 2 weeks of quitting and abstinence from running or biking... i put on my running shoes and noticed an absolute and immediate difference. I ran faster and farther than I had in the whole year before.

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,057
    Stoopid survur
    Last edited by Drewdane; 08-02-2005 at 07:05 AM.

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    Every time I am with my kids and we see someone smoke, I tell them that you can tell the person is stupid, because they are smoking. I also tell them that all people that smoke are stupid and there is no exception to this rule.

    I am also pretty aggressive when it comes to second hand smoke, I will tell you to put the cigarette out If I can smell the smoke even outside.

    I hate smokers. there stupid
    Are you kidding me? Are you that ignorant? You must think you're smarter than every person in this poll that has voted in dissent with you.

    So do you say this to your kids about everyone with whom you have disagree with? Everybody that is anti war is stupid? People who listen to rap are stupid? What about people that like social science instead of math?

    But no, you may be right. There's never been any smokers of high intelligence. I dont think Einstein, or Orwell, or Winston Churchell ever smoked.

    It's the intolerance and prejudice in ideas like that which are ruining this world... please don't be so simple and closed minded.

    But i'm sure you won't listen to a word i'm saying because... oh yeah... I smoked some cigarettes.
    Last edited by cjh_mtb; 08-02-2005 at 07:21 AM.

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    Every time I am with my kids and we see someone smoke, I tell them that you can tell the person is stupid, because they are smoking. I also tell them that all people that smoke are stupid and there is no exception to this rule.

    I am also pretty aggressive when it comes to second hand smoke, I will tell you to put the cigarette out If I can smell the smoke even outside.

    I hate smokers. there (sic) stupid
    Yeah, me too! And when I see an overweight person eating at McDonalds, I tell my kids what a stupid, fat BASTARD that guy is! What a jerk, entering my field of vision with his fat, stupid gut! There oughtta be a law!

    I tell you what, I'm making sure to raise my kids right - to make snap judgements about everyone they encounter in life based on a single personal fault or quirk.

    Seriously, as a former smoker, I'm pretty intolerant of cigarette smoke. But I'm not a prick about it. *koff koff*

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gripshift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    399
    A big no on the smoking. I can't stand it when smokers throw out their butts driving down the road, major SLOB. I have done a few beach cleanups through The SurfRider Foundation and we pick up around three hundred butts on a very small public beach, no wider than 50 yards.

  13. #13
    Humpmaster general
    Reputation: Jack Hass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    Yeah, me too! And when I see an overweight person eating at McDonalds, I tell my kids what a stupid, fat BASTARD that guy is! What a jerk, entering my field of vision with his fat, stupid gut! There oughtta be a law!

    I tell you what, I'm making sure to raise my kids right - to make snap judgements about everyone they encounter in life based on a single personal fault or quirk.

    Seriously, as a former smoker, I'm pretty intolerant of cigarette smoke. But I'm not a prick about it. *koff koff*

    Someone being fat does not hurt me or my family. Someone smoking, where I can breath it in does hurt me and my family.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

  14. #14
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,605

    Quit 10 yrs ago yesterday...

    didnt remember that till today..congratulations to me...nevermind..

  15. #15
    Humpmaster general
    Reputation: Jack Hass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy

    And Jack - if you had told me to put out my cigarette, I would have complied - by flicking it in your face.

    No you wouldnt,

    I would have my 4 year old with me and I would tell you the smoke was bothering him and I was scared he was going to get sick from the smoke and I would ask you to put the cigarette out and you would, and you would tell me you are sorry.

    that happens every time, men, women, skate punks, gangbangers they all do the same thing and you would also.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

  16. #16
    Humpmaster general
    Reputation: Jack Hass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    Are you kidding me? Are you that ignorant? You must think you're smarter than every person in this poll that has voted in dissent with you.

    So do you say this to your kids about everyone with whom you have disagree with? Everybody that is anti war is stupid? People who listen to rap are stupid? What about people that like social science instead of math?

    But no, you may be right. There's never been any smokers of high intelligence. I dont think Einstein, or Orwell, or Winston Churchell ever smoked.

    It's the intolerance and prejudice in ideas like that which are ruining this world... please don't be so simple and closed minded.

    But i'm sure you won't listen to a word i'm saying because... oh yeah... I smoked some cigarettes.
    I don't understand how people are so closed minded that they don't see that cigareette smoke harms other people. If we are in a closed area or outside and I can smell the smoke, then it is in my lungs. You are harming me and my children on purpose. I will not tolerate you harming me or my kids.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

  17. #17
    Humpmaster general
    Reputation: Jack Hass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa
    What are you, Yoda??

    these are not Jedi mind tricks.

    "These are not the droids you are looking for"
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: messofzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    201
    i smoke. not a lot really, i bet i finish off a pack over a week. i do smoke a lot more when im drinking though, its something i have a hard time controlling. no worries, you second-hand-smoke nazis, i hardly smoke in public areas unless its a bar and a very smoky enviroment already. i respect other people's air for the most part.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    No you wouldnt,

    I would have my 4 year old with me and I would tell you the smoke was bothering him and I was scared he was going to get sick from the smoke and I would ask you to put the cigarette out and you would, and you would tell me you are sorry.


    What are you, Yoda??

  20. #20
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    No you wouldnt,

    I would have my 4 year old with me and I would tell you the smoke was bothering him and I was scared he was going to get sick from the smoke and I would ask you to put the cigarette out and you would, and you would tell me you are sorry.
    No. I wouldn't.

    That's a neat way to use your child to enforce your own beliefs though.

    It's all a moot point, since I don't smoke anymore and you don't live here.

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripshift
    A big no on the smoking. I can't stand it when smokers throw out their butts driving down the road, major SLOB. I have done a few beach cleanups through The SurfRider Foundation and we pick up around three hundred butts on a very small public beach, no wider than 50 yards.
    That really p*sses me off, and it did when I smoked, too. When necessary, I used to put my cigarette out on the sole of my shoe and carry it around in my pocket until I found a trash can.

  22. #22

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    I don't understand how people are so closed minded that they don't see that cigareette smoke harms other people. If we are in a closed area or outside and I can smell the smoke, then it is in my lungs. You are harming me and my children on purpose. I will not tolerate you harming me or my kids.
    So somehow that makes everyone that smokes stupid? Somehow that gives you rational to brainwash your children? Keep throwing them the mindless propoganda... I'm sure they'll grow up to be just like you.

    I'm also thinking it's safe to assume that you think you're smarter than everyone that does smoke.

  23. #23
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,720
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb

    But no, you may be right. There's never been any smokers of high intelligence. I dont think Einstein, or Orwell, or Winston Churchell ever smoked.
    Churchell smoked cigars. Still not a bright thing to do though.

    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  24. #24

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7
    Started smoking way too young and took a long time to quit but finally managed. I remember being outraged as smoking was banned in more and more places, smoking was my right and no one should be allowed to take that away. Now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes (I still smoke the occasional cigar) and do everything I can to avoid their presence.

    However, I would never presume to tell my son that someone who smoked was "stupid". I may not agree with their choice, but that certainly does not imply anything about their inteligence level. Also that kind of parenting tends to backfire (it's what my parents did to me, and I started at age 12 just to piss them off)

  25. #25
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,720
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I know he did. As did Einstein and George Orwell. You misunderstood what I was saying... perhaps I wasn't being sarcastic enough.
    Got it. Yup, need to brush up on your sarcasm a bit.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  26. #26

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Churchell smoked cigars. Still not a bright thing to do though.

    I know he did. As did Einstein and George Orwell. You misunderstood what I was saying... perhaps I wasn't being sarcastic enough.

  27. #27
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,633
    Been smoking for 23 years since I was 12 (ugh..) Since I started riding I have cut waaaaaaay back to about 3 cigs a nite from a pack a day (this has been for about 1.5 years now)

    And yes, I do notice it while above 6000 feet and on really, really long rides with a lot of ascent. My goal is to quit all together by the new year.

    Smoking is dumb, stupid, retarded, etc...... but she is a real B!tch to quit.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  28. #28

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    Every time I am with my kids and we see someone smoke, I tell them that you can tell the person is stupid, because they are smoking. I also tell them that all people that smoke are stupid and there is no exception to this rule.

    I am also pretty aggressive when it comes to second hand smoke, I will tell you to put the cigarette out If I can smell the smoke even outside.

    I hate smokers. there stupid

    You are the one harming your kids with false judgement values. It would be ok to tell your kids that smoking is stupid, but to say all smokers are stupid is, well, stupid.

    ...and it's they're stupid.

  29. #29
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,750

    That's dumb....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    I don't understand how people are so closed minded that they don't see that cigareette smoke harms other people. If we are in a closed area or outside and I can smell the smoke, then it is in my lungs. You are harming me and my children on purpose. I will not tolerate you harming me or my kids.
    Since you won't tolerate things that harm you and or your kids, I expect you to stop:

    - Driving any sort of gas combustion vehicle
    - Eating out
    - Eating anything with processed sugar.
    - Eating anything that used pesticides in it's production
    - Eating anything that uses a gas powered vehicle to transport
    - Wearing anything synthetic
    - Using air conditioning
    - Drinking tap water
    - being outside in the sun
    - Using anything but lye soap
    - etc. etc. etc.

    Your suggestion to your children that people who smoke are stupid is beyond stupid. You're teaching your children that people are stupid because they don't agree with them. You're teaching them intolerance. They'll grow up incapable of distinguishing between a stupid action (smoking) and vs. the person themselves.

    Some "stupid" smokers:

    - DaVinci
    - Mark Twain
    - Ben Franklin
    - Teddy Roosevelt

    I suggest that 3 out of these 4 people are considerably smarter than you, yet they smoke. How can that be by your logic?

    The act of smoking is harmful and stupid. People who smoke are not specifically so.

    Answering the poll: I pretended to smoke in basic training because it got me out of scrubbing the baraks. I don't smoke. Never have, never will. I can't stand it. I've promised my daughter $1,000 on her 25th Birthday if she nevers takes a drag off a cigarette.

  30. #30
    Humpmaster general
    Reputation: Jack Hass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    449
    Look

    Last edited by Jack Hass; 08-02-2005 at 11:30 AM.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

  31. #31
    L1MEY
    Reputation: mahgnillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,487
    Jack Hass, you've got a point, though you didn't express it very well. The act of smoking is stupid, but not the people themselves. The act of voluntarily shortening your life and risking the lives of others around you is totally stupid, and selfish to boot. Maybe you should be telling your kids that what they are doing is stupid rather than guessing at the person's intelligence level.

    A couple of people pointed out that some very intelligent people smoked all their lives: Einstein, Churchill et al didn't know the risks, and they, and their contemporaries had always smoked. They were not stupid people as we well know, and I'm sure they would have reevaluated their situation had they known what we know today about the health risks associated with smoking.

    Personally I hate smoking, and for that reason I'm not particularly fond of going to casinos. There's nothing worse than walking through on the way to a restaurant and seeing some old hag bent over a slot machine with a cigarette in her mouth and an oxygen tank by her side. Not only that but smokers in general are polluters... not only do they pollute the air, but they flick ash all over the place, throw butts in the street and leave packets/plastic wrappings all over the place. Nasty, nasty habit.

    - Jen.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: []D[][]v[][]D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    616

    Be careful Jack Hass....

    what happens the day your children light up a smoke? You can convince yourself over and over that they won't, but chances are they will. Don't be surpirised if your warped philososphy (all smokers are stupid) comes back to bite you. Children will rebel......

    i will enjoy a few smokes throughout a year....typically special events that include drinking heavily (i.e. weddings). I am smart, sucessfull, a solid endurance athlete and most importantly a role model to my children. I would never smoke in front of them, and I educate them on the physical harms of tobacco. I will not stereotype those who do.
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

  33. #33
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,170
    Used to smoke 20 or 25 years ago--nasty.
    I know my wife still sneaks one now and then.
    I can't stand it and think there ought to be a prohibition.

  34. #34
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,633
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    Used to smoke 20 or 25 years ago--nasty.
    I know my wife still sneaks one now and then.
    I can't stand it and think there ought to be a prohibition.
    Smoking is nasty - but prohibition?? Didn't we have an alcohol prohibition that spawned modern day organized crime? Probably not the best idea.

    American Society as a whole is going forward with a slow shift towards a near zero-tolerance (taxing, banning in bars etc...). it may take a couple of decades but we're gettin' there
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  35. #35

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    Every time I am with my kids and we see someone smoke, I tell them that you can tell the person is stupid, because they are smoking. I also tell them that all people that smoke are stupid and there is no exception to this rule.

    I am also pretty aggressive when it comes to second hand smoke, I will tell you to put the cigarette out If I can smell the smoke even outside.

    I hate smokers. there stupid
    You should move out here to Boulder, you would fit in just fine with all the other intolerant people in this city.

    Last edited by Hokie; 08-02-2005 at 11:37 AM.

  36. #36
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    I hate smokers. there stupid
    Hahaha... I love it. I bet you gradumatated from kollege too.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    32
    I only know one of several dozen mtb cyclists in our area that smokes. But when I was with my family at Jiminy Peak, MA (kids wanted to try the alpine slide), I saw a least a dozen DH guys smoking cigs. Perhaps if you dont have to ride up, you dont notice any performance loss. It would be interesting to see how many of the smokers in the survey are into DH. You can bet few of the XC racers smoke...

    Dont blame smokers for their habit though; it is usually acquired when they were young and susceptible to manufacturers advertising. In most states you cant smoke inside anyway, so there is much less smoker/nonsmoker conflict. What really is evil and stupid is the cigarette companies. An article in the NYTimes said that Altria (The 'new' Philips Morris) is focusing sales in Asia these days. They had been running a promotion that involved giving free samples to both adults AND kids at baseball games in China, and were recently forced by the Chinese govt to stop this practice.

  38. #38
    Hairy man
    Reputation: Dwight Moody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    That really p*sses me off, and it did when I smoked, too. When necessary, I used to put my cigarette out on the sole of my shoe and carry it around in my pocket until I found a trash can.
    I did that too. I think it added to the ashtray smell that surrounded me. When I switched to rolling my own (so much cheaper) I'd just drop the butt and grind it into the ground, since there was no filter I figure it biodegrades pretty fast. I think I smelled a little less like an ashtray then, but when you smoke 30 cigs a day, you reek no matter what.

    Then I quit smoking entirely because I was going to have a kid. I don't want her to ever see me having a smoke. I don't harsh on smokers in front of her, but I'll tell her the truth about it when she's old enough to understand.
    We all get it in the end.

  39. #39
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    I smoked for over 20 years and recently quit for health reasons, its also why I started riding a bike again. Id wanted to quit for most of that time but always made excuses. Im 38 years old and am now hoping to heal my lungs in the years ahead. I didnt like cigs when I smoked and I still dont. But hey it , in a round about way led me to mountianbiking, which Ive grown to love. Another lesson learned as life is too short to dwell on mistakes.

  40. #40
    Believer in Darwin
    Reputation: papisimo11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    274

    Quit a Year Ago

    I had been smoking on and off since I was 22. I smoked at most maybe 3/4 pack a day and at the least 2 smokes. I quit once 3 years ago for 8 months and by my 8 month my cycling performance was outstanding.
    Needless to say I started again and met up with some racers who schooled me. To make a long story short I am now racing expert and have had a very competitive year. My chest doesn't burn anymore, no more phlegm, no more guilt in the morning after smoking a ton the night before.
    They do taste good with beer though.
    As for Jack Hass... HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!!!!
    That boy better: live in mud hove using no electricity, not have a car, not use natural gas, voted for any presidential candidate, use paper(even toilet), or have displaced anykind of animal that is indigenious to his area.
    His son will see it soon enough, all children do....
    HYPOCRITE!!!!!

  41. #41

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11
    It makes me sad to think that parents are actually teaching their kids today that it's okay to call people stupid. Lets put a side this smoking argument for a second, since I don't think one person replying to this forum will disagree that smoking is not smart.

    The choice to smoke is a personal one and not for anyone to pass judgment on. Judging people is fundamentally wrong, but we all do it everyday so I'm not throwing stones. However, teaching children this at a young age is the reason for the moral decay of society. Don't believe me? Think about all the kids you call "punks", what do most of them have in common? They dislike most people who aren't part of their group, but they also strive to fit in with their own group. Why? So they know that there is one group of people (friends) who won't call them stupid or make fun of them, too much at least. The problem here is that instead of just expressing individualism they take a hard-lines stance against the world because they believe that since they're different they will not be accepted. In most cases they are not, your use of the word punk proves that you don't accept these kids or their actions.

    I'm not passing judgment on the way anyone raises their own children. The fact that you do what you do tells me that you care for them and the love shows. However I do believe that there is a better way to express your values to your children.

    Remember that even though people chose to smoke you also chose to attend places where people could possibly be smoking. I understand that you can't not be kept prisoner by the threat of second hand smoke, it sounds like you handle the situations where this is problem very well. The question here is whose choice is the right one? Is the smoker wrong because they chose to possibly shorter their own lives? You chose to participate in a very dangerous sport, don't kid yourself every time you ride you could die (I'm sporting a band new road rash from yesterday because people have no idea what a cross-walk is). Freak accidents can occur at any time in our sport, so is your choice better then theirs. That's a rhetorical question, as I already know your answer; and mine too for that matter.

    How do you feel about a person who has tattoos but does not smoke, are they stupid? Why? My body is my temple not yours. Yes I do understand the second hand smoke argument and I too feel strongly about it. Here is a wild thought for you; instead of telling your kids that these people are stupid spend your energy pressuring you local government ban smoking in public places. Lead by example, what better way to leave a lasting impression on you children's future then by giving them a smoke free environment?

    From my own personal experience with my parents I must agree with PIMP, you could be making them curious which will undo all your hard work.

    I say this not just for Jack Hass but everyone. If you don't agree with what he is doing suggest an alternative, calling him stupid is only making you a hypocrite. Then as I said before we are all contributing to moral decay or society, and I know mountain bikers are better then that!

    Sorry about the novel.

  42. #42
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSamurai
    It makes me sad to think that parents are actually teaching their kids today that it's okay to call people stupid.

    *********

    I'm not passing judgment on the way anyone raises their own children.
    You just did! Too funny! This thread is killing me! HA!

  43. #43
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,633
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSamurai
    ...How do you feel about a person who has tattoos but does not smoke, are they stupid?....
    What!!! People judge people who have tattoos - Now I've heard everything
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  44. #44

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    216
    Jack Hass, I'm sure you'll be relieved to know that the EPA's official data on second-hand smoke does not show any statisitcally significant risk: i.e. there is not enough evidence to show that second-hand smoke will harm you. Regardless, the EPA (God bless 'em) decided to rewrite the rules of statistics to go ahead and say that you'll die right quick if you so much as see second-hand smoke through a telescope. It's politically driven junk-science. Your kids are now safe!

  45. #45
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,211
    I used to smoke, and used biking to help me quit and get in shape. Worked wonders!

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toyota kawasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    653
    jackhass, a little smoke in your lungs isnt going to harm you at all.

    so if im in a park smokin a cig, and you happen to be there with your kid (who i assume will turn out gay) and you smell my cig, youll run over to me like captiain douchebag and tell me to put it out because im harming you?

    get a life.

    i dont smoke btw.

  47. #47
    my girl rides also
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    650
    I started REALLY smoking when I was a freshman in college. Back then (1994) you could get a carton of Camels at the deli by my dorm for $10. No sh!t. Of course, this was in Virginia, whose economy was originally founded on tobacco (and you can smoke anywhere you damn well please). I smoked for a good ten years after that, the last few being pack-a-day years. Even for the first couple of years I was riding I was still smoking....then I moved out here to CA and, to tell you the truth, it wasnt' all that hard to quit. Just riding so much makes your lungs hurt if you're in a 10-ft radius of second-hand smoke. Don't see how I did it for 10 years.

    I'll have to admit, however, when I'm out drinking I'll bum a drag here and there. Nobody's perfect.

  48. #48

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    545
    I tell my kids that only sad dumb gits who want to be "cool" smoke, then they get addicted, and then they get really unpleasant and aggresive about rationalising their dumb behaviour.

    I tell them to forgive smokers for fouling the air because they are just sad addicts.

    I tell them about their dead grandparents who they never met, and how they smoked themselves to painful lingering deaths because they didn't know any better.

    I tell them about how political parties are bought with tobacco money so that the tobacco companies can avoid paying the consequences of being responsible for killing more people than Hitler.

    Smoking steals the quality of your life, shortens your life, and makes your breath stink worse than a horse's exhaust pipe.

    There! is the pot well enough stirred yet?

  49. #49

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    You just did! Too funny! This thread is killing me! HA!
    Your right I did, like I said we all do it... but I did suggest an action he can take that's differnt then just what he's currently doing, which many people here have taken acception to (am I wrong to included you in that group? Or was you comment about kollege just a direct attempt to belittle someone?). He can raise his kids how he choses, I'm just trying to suggest there might be a different way. A different line on the same trail, if you will.
    I didn't run him into the groud, nor did I make fun of him. He stated his opinion I disagreed and I stated mine, like grownups.

  50. #50
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,750

    F'ing Mullet Hicks...

    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    No, I was making fun of him calling people stupid but not knowing the difference between they're and there. It's called irony. Try it out some time. Judging from the fact you didn't get it, you don't know the difference either.
    Damn dude, you need a hug. And a big sloppy french kiss.

    What I really want to know is the time it would take to drive from Knob Knoster Missouri to French Lick, Indiana traveling at an average of 68 mph. Please be accurate within 7 minutes.

    Ken

  51. #51
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    No, I was making fun of him calling people stupid but not knowing the difference between they're and there. It's called irony. Try it out some time. Judging from the fact you didn't get it, you don't know the difference either.

  52. #52
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Damn dude, you need a hug. And a big sloppy french kiss.

    What I really want to know is the time it would take to drive from Knob Knoster Missouri to French Lick, Indiana traveling at an average of 68 mph. Please be accurate within 7 minutes.

    Ken
    I don't know about the french kiss part but a hug would be okay. See if you can crack my back when you do that.

    French lick, what a name. That's perfect. Steal me the sign next time you're there.

    6.5 hours exactly, assuming you don't stop for pissing or gas.

  53. #53

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    No, I was making fun of him calling people stupid but not knowing the difference between they're and there. It's called irony. Try it out some time. Judging from the fact you didn't get it, you don't know the difference either.
    Actually the irony here is that you are intelligent enough to know the difference between there and they're but you’ve brought yourself down a level just to put someone down. I like the saying, “don’t throw stones or you will hit yourself in the head.” You could have used that energy in positive way instead of being negative. It can still be fun too…

    By the way, I do enjoy your post and have taken some of your advice. Like grownups, you see?

  54. #54
    Humpmaster general
    Reputation: Jack Hass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    Hahaha... I love it. I bet you gradumatated from kollege too.

    I got a good one for you I did graduate from college, and I have a Bachlors of Science degree in Psychology.

    the only reason I spelled Psychology right is because I used spell check.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

  55. #55
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    Holy crap, Jack, I have the same degree. But I didn't have to eat a frog.

    Did you minor in philosophy too?

  56. #56
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSamurai
    Actually the irony here is that you are intelligent enough to know the difference between there and they're but you’ve brought yourself down a level just to put someone down. I like the saying, “don’t throw stones or you will hit yourself in the head.” You could have used that energy in positive way instead of being negative. It can still be fun too…

    By the way, I do enjoy your post and have taken some of your advice. Like grownups, you see?
    See, you assume that somehow by putting someone else down, and lowering myself, that this would make me feel bad. You know what Nietzsche says about that?

    Nothing. He's dead. haha!

  57. #57
    All bow down to pigeontoe
    Reputation: MOMBIOUSHIBACHI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    90
    I hate the fact that my parents smoke. The ceiling at their house is yellow as well as lamp shades and etc. The absolute worst was riding in the car while they smoked with the windows up, I cringe when I see people doing this now. I didn't realize it at the time but even though I didn't smoke in high school I probably reeked of it. So since my parents totally grossed me out I hate smoking.

    Smoking is stupid, but it's also addictive. Most of these people are addicted to nicotine. I bet the dude that tells his kids smokers are dumb is addicted to something or other, and he doesn't even realize it. So I guess you could call him stupid.

  58. #58
    Brass Nipples!
    Reputation: Bob the Wheelbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,006
    [rant] I explain to my kids that most smokers I know would desperately love to quit, but can't: they're addicted.

    Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances known to man. Harder to quit than cocaine or heroin. The smoking cardiologists, ER docs, respiratory therapists, pathologists, nurses, professors and lawyers I know all admit their habits are disgusting, threaten their health and shunt money away from where it would be better used, but they can't quit. I've seen people smoke through their tracheostomies done for laryngeal cancer caused by their smoking. I've seen people horribly burned because they smoked with their oxygen running. I frequently talk to parents that don't have money to buy Tylenol to treat their kid's fever, but they have a pack of cigarettes in their pocket. The people aren't stupid. Many of them are very smart. But smoking is, without a doubt, one of the stupidest things a person can do.

    I've told my kids that the only chance they have of not being in these people's shoes is to never start smoking. If they think they're strong enough to just dabble with tobacco, then they're not only wrong, they're being stupid.

    Another thing that really gripes me is all the do-your-own-thing advocates that feel people should engage in any dangerous activity they want (smoking, irresponsible drinking, driving without a seat belt, unprotected sex etc, etc), AND feel that people who suffer the consequences should receive every expensive medical treatment ever devised regardless of their ability to pay. So if you have the million dollars stashed away to pay for your bone marrow transplant or month long ICU stay or emergency angiogram followed by coronary artery bypass surgery, feel free to feel free. Otherwise, don't smoke! [/rant]
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

  59. #59
    Blanco
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    Someone being fat does not hurt me or my family. Someone smoking, where I can breath it in does hurt me and my family.
    Air pollution from the car you drive is killing you a lot faster than secondhand smoke.

    I don't smoke, and I strongly dislike smokers who throw their butts on the ground (which is most of them). I also dislike people who are self-righteous that they can't properly evaluate risks.

  60. #60

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    66
    WOW! there's a lot of anger in this thread! We should all just smoke a cigarette to calm down!

    I smoke about a pack every 2 weeks, I keep them in my desk drawer, and step outside for one occasionally, yet EVERYONE feels the need to give me a lecture about the dangers of smoking. Even some of my riding partners who smoke pot tell me that smoking "cigarettes" is bad. They rationalize their hypocricy by pointing out all the chemicals in tobacco and how evil the big tobacco companies are. I remind them that despite the chemicals in my cigarette, it has a filter (I don't see one on that pipe)! Not to mention that drugs fund far more crime and terrorism than "big tobacco companies"!

    As far as harming the environment - going to McDonald's is far more harmful! Cow flatulence is a far bigger threat to the environment.

    As far as harming your children - drunk drivers kill far more kids than secondhand smoke, yet you never hear a negative word about beer on this forum (I love beer with my smokes too!)

    Why don't you come over and tell me to put out the fire in my fireplace, that surely has the same negative effect on your children's lungs. I would be far more worried about the warped sense of reality that your children will develop, than having them smell cigarette smoke!

    I'm getting all worked up here, I better go lite up

  61. #61

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7
    I smoked for a long time, finally quit, and understand the difficulty that quitting can be. I certainly don't feel that I am stupid, just was young and had the need to defy my parents. I know alot of other people who developed bad habits for no better reason, so lets be real careful with the quick labels for other people's behavior.

    On a side note, the whole butts out the window thing pissed me off then and still does. If you know any smokers, have them stick an almost empty 20 oz. soda bottle with lid under their seat. When they finish a smoke, open bottle, insert butt, close bottle. No butts on the highway, keeps stink down, and keeps them from having to use the cars ashtray (which always had my change)

  62. #62
    Complete Bastard
    Reputation: mward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,282
    I came to the same conclusion so I had to get a masters too. It was pretty worthless also. Edumacation is definitely one of the few things where you don't get what you pay for.

  63. #63
    Humpmaster general
    Reputation: Jack Hass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by mward

    Did you minor in philosophy too?

    I was smart enough to figure out that a minor in philosophy would be worthless, but I was not smart enough to figure out that a BS In Psychology would be worthless.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

  64. #64

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    See, you assume that somehow by putting someone else down, and lowering myself, that this would make me feel bad. You know what Nietzsche says about that?

    Nothing. He's dead. haha!
    No not really, the irony I refer to is the fact that making fun of people makes you look uneducated. Having a Masters in psychology I would expect slightly more wit, or possibly putting your knowledge to use for the greater good.

    As for Nietzsche, you will have to be more specific about the time frame of his writing since there seems to be a shift in his philosophies as he grew older... and maybe slightly crazy.

    LOL, I'm just giving you a hard time

  65. #65

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    64

    Are Smokers Stupid People....uhh yeah......

    People who smoke crack are stupid.....

    People who smoke meth are stupid......

    People who freebase are stupid.....

    People who breath CO are stupid......

    The fact is that with all of the knowledge about the dangers of smoking if you smoke that makes you stupid.

    And yes people who smoke look stupid, so calling them stupid is not out of line.

    The fact is that smoking kills people, and what ever it takes to get rid of those things is okay. What really ticks me off is how that crap is marketed. (uh oh....I feel an evil corporate rant coming on..... )

    I used to smoke and I was stupid. I have pictures of me smoking and I look stupid. I pictures of my family smoking and they look stupid.

    I quit smoking and I feel less stupid than I did. Still not very smart.....

    Can smokers be good at math, science, medicine? Yes! Are they still stupid? Yes!

    Stupid is as Stupid does.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,958
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I was thinking about this last night in bed. Myself, I'm 19, and I smoked for a little over a year. From when I was 18 until about a month ago. I don't plan on starting again either... though I can't refuse a nice cigar when I'm having a few drinks.

    Congratulations to all who have quit. Commendable self-control. If you can do that, you can do many other things also.

    I have no problem with Jack. Whatever it takes--this is life and death.

    I smoked for many years and miss some of the associations still.

    But smoking has brought terrible, terrible grief to me and my family.

    Be kind to those who love you.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    476

    NO - I don't spoke and never have...

    although I did try it once when i was in high school. Almost made me puke.

    I can't think of a more disgusting socially acceptable habit than smoking. I just don't understand how someone can enjoy inhaling smoke. When stopped behind a bus at a red light do they roll down the window and inhale that smoke too? Love that yellow/brown teeth look?

    I am so glad that NY state made it completely illegal in all public places, including bars!! Now my wife will finally go out for a few drinks with me and my friends.

    As for quiting, I think it comes down to how strong of a person you are. I know people who have stopped cold turkey after many years of smoking. I know of others who can't stop to save their own lives.

    In my experience most smokers are rude and could care less whether they offend anybody with their smoke, hell they're killing themselves so why would they care about others? My father in law is a smoker. When at our house he would go outside to smoke but he'd always flick his butts in our landscaping or lawn. I'd always find them after he'd visit. One day about a year ago when we went to visit them at their house I happened to be eating a box of junior mints. We were out on their porch and when i was done i crumpled up the box and threw it in his bushes. he asks me "what'd you do that for"? I told him I didn't think he'd mind since he throws his butts in my landscaping. He said nothing. He hasn't thown a butt in our yard/landscaping since.

    I know one thing. The tobacco industry should be held accountable for creating a bunch of drug addicts and cancer victims. My father smoked too. He had lung cancer, he survived(made him quit smoking). He told me back in the 40's when he started they made the public believe that it was actually good for them, a stress release. he started when he joined the military. They gave them free cigarettes as a way of calming their nerves.

    F'd UP.

  68. #68

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota kawasaki
    so if im in a park smokin a cig, and you happen to be there with your kid (who i assume will turn out gay) and you smell my cig, youll run over to me like captiain douchebag and tell me to put it out because im harming you?
    Quote of the year!!! too funny

  69. #69
    Mmmm Rocks Good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    645

    I smoke!!!

    I like to smoke pork butts, chickens and beef brisket, prefferably over cherry/apple/alder wood......does that make me an evil smoker?

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,958
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    I like to smoke pork butts, chickens and beef brisket

    Bet you inhale them.

  71. #71

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    Congratulations to all who have quit. Commendable self-control. If you can do that, you can do many other things also.

    I have no problem with Jack. Whatever it takes--this is life and death.

    I smoked for many years and miss some of the associations still.

    But smoking has brought terrible, terrible grief to me and my family.

    Be kind to those who love you.
    I didnt mention this in my original post. The last cigarette I had I smoked on June 28th...

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,958
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I didnt mention this in my original post. The last cigarette I had I smoked on June 28th...

    Way to go!! Way to go!

    Be hard--be very hard. You are already over the worst.

    Here's a little something that I hope helps you: Three years after I quit I had blood in my urine after a rough ride, and it was kidney cancer. Mtb saved me so far.

    So keep riding hard, too, cjh.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota kawasaki
    jackhass, a little smoke in your lungs isnt going to harm you at all.

    so if im in a park smokin a cig, and you happen to be there with your kid (who i assume will turn out gay) and you smell my cig, youll run over to me like captiain douchebag and tell me to put it out because im harming you?

    get a life.

    i dont smoke btw.


    ...and remember if you're a vegan your kids will be gay.




    It's science people.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tubbyonce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    120

    Stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    I hate smokers. there stupid

    I hope you're not teaching your kids English.
    Last edited by tubbyonce; 08-03-2005 at 04:58 PM.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: toyota kawasaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by MOMBIOUSHIBACHI
    I hate the fact that my parents smoke. The ceiling at their house is yellow as well as lamp shades and etc. The absolute worst was riding in the car while they smoked with the windows up, I cringe when I see people doing this now. I didn't realize it at the time but even though I didn't smoke in high school I probably reeked of it. So since my parents totally grossed me out I hate smoking.

    Smoking is stupid, but it's also addictive. Most of these people are addicted to nicotine. I bet the dude that tells his kids smokers are dumb is addicted to something or other, and he doesn't even realize it. So I guess you could call him stupid.
    my parents are the same way, which is the reason i dont smoke.

    you would not beleive how angry and embarrassed I felt when being asked if I smoked by teachers and classmates. I even had this one douche classmate guy who would always harrass me for smoking even though I didnt. Hes lucky he was a lot bigger than me or i would dropped him one of those days

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I didnt mention this in my original post. The last cigarette I had I smoked on June 28th...
    EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me when I tell you two VERY important things.

    1) you're through what is the first torturous stage. It's a week now. If you haven't had any cravings then you're looking reeeeeeeeeeeeeal good.

    2) there WILL come a time in the future, maybe soon, maybe not, when you WILL want another one. You'll see someone smoking and think about asking to bum one from them. DON'T. Whatever the heck you do - DON'T.

    That WILL be the last time you quit because after that you'll run out, buy a pack, smoke them quicker than you ever have before and you'll smoke more than you ever have before after that.

    Trust me - i've seen this MANY times with many people ..... myself included.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  77. #77
    Brass Nipples!
    Reputation: Bob the Wheelbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by cjh_mtb
    I didnt mention this in my original post. The last cigarette I had I smoked on June 28th...
    Congrats. That is really good news. Keep up the good work!
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

  78. #78
    Penis Goat!
    Reputation: GirchyGirchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    Edumacation is definitely one of the few things where you don't get what you pay for.
    I disagree - that little piece of paper you get when you're done can be worth quite a bit of money.

    Unless you can't find a job, of course. Was that the reason for the Masters Degree?

  79. #79

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me when I tell you two VERY important things.

    1) you're through what is the first torturous stage. It's a week now. If you haven't had any cravings then you're looking reeeeeeeeeeeeeal good.

    2) there WILL come a time in the future, maybe soon, maybe not, when you WILL want another one. You'll see someone smoking and think about asking to bum one from them. DON'T. Whatever the heck you do - DON'T.

    That WILL be the last time you quit because after that you'll run out, buy a pack, smoke them quicker than you ever have before and you'll smoke more than you ever have before after that.

    Trust me - i've seen this MANY times with many people ..... myself included.
    Nah - its not really torturous for me. I've stopped for a month or so before also... I certainly do love to have a cigarette but I don't recognize any 'addiction' to them. The only time it has been hard to stop for me is around smoking buddies in the college dorms, just cause I was always around. When i'm not with other smokers - I don't even think about it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

    BTW- its a week and one month... I said June not july.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,729
    i just sold a carton of Old Golds to Jack Hass's kids.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

  81. #81
    Retrograde Customs
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    i just sold a carton of Old Golds to Jack Hass's kids.
    LMAO, i wouldnt be the least bit suprised if they grew up to smoke. you know the more you disaprove the more they're going to end up wanting it.
    Retrograde Customs

  82. #82
    my girl rides also
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr
    I like to smoke pork butts, chickens and beef brisket, prefferably over cherry/apple/alder wood......does that make me an evil smoker?
    Well....I paid $40 and got my own smoker from some skank on the corner....beat that! (pun intended) Now THAT could've been an evil smoker.....but she said her bloodwork was ok.....

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mapkos13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    143
    This is a bummer but so everyone knows.

    1) This past year one of my good friends mother died from Emphazima due to smoking her whole life. She was on oxygen and could'nt use but 10% of her lungs anymore. His father had to carry her everywhere, to bathe, to the bathroom, etc. What a way to live your life.

    2) This past week a friend of the family who had been on Oxygen for 10 years due to smoking. Same thing, couldn't breath anymore. He kiled himself because he couldn't stand it anymore not to be able to walk for 5 feet without having to stop becuase he couldn't breath. How would that make you feel? Ripping up trials one day and a few years later not having the lungs to walk to the kitchen.

    Anyone that smokes should stop immedialtey. I can't believe the tabacco industry is still in business. Wait, I forgot about all that money the taxes generate for the gov't at the expense of the people.

    I know it's tough to quit but if you smoke you've got to do it. Good Luck.

  84. #84

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    No you wouldnt,

    I would have my 4 year old with me and I would tell you the smoke was bothering him and I was scared he was going to get sick from the smoke and I would ask you to put the cigarette out and you would, and you would tell me you are sorry.

    that happens every time, men, women, skate punks, gangbangers they all do the same thing and you would also.
    You seem to have mystical powers seeing how your able to predict the future and all. If they told you "fine if your so worried for your son why don't you move over there (points in direction) where the air is fresher".
    Would yo still hide behind your son?

    The only reason I ask is because unlike yourself I don't know it all and my crystal ball is scratched and cloudy, kinda hard to look into the future nowadays.

    By the way you forgot to mention old ladies next to gangbangers and skate punks, some of them can be pretty unruly.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stavpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    180

    No

    , and I totally hate it. It sucks when I inhale smoke of other people...

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: imjps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,434

    Peter Jennings

    Lost to lung cancer.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Some Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,482
    Don't smoke, never have, and never will. I'm too fond of my perfectly functional lungs. Also got better things to spend my money on.

    It's funny though, because I have a weakness for fatty, sugary foods. Cheaper and less harmful than smokes I suppose, especially when combined with an active lifestyle. Still far from healthy though :|.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: edouble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,672

    stupid is as stupid does...

    the act of smoking is extremely stupid. that dosnt mean all smokers are stupid. my mother smoked and i hated it, so at 12yrs old i refused to go to the store to get her cigs. ever again. she told me id do as im told but i never did it again. even as an adult i would not stop my car for her to go in a store to buy cigs, i told her she would have to take herself. the cigs eventually killed her, but im glad that i didnt help her kill herself. ive always HATED smoking. never smoked, never had freinds or girlfreinds that smoked. its an absolutely disgusting habit that i do my best to avoid. i dont even walk barefoot on the beach because the idea of stepping on butts repulses me. how anyone could walk around, breath smelling like sh*t, hair and clothes reeking of smoke is beyond me. i know its an addiction and thats the sad part, but it dosnt make me hate it any less.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Similar Threads

  1. UPDATE:[email protected]#%$# cigarettes!!!!
    By TroutBum in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 06:14 AM
  2. [email protected]#%$# cigarettes!!!!
    By TroutBum in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 07:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.