Christmas Ideas- Mtbr.com

Thread: Christmas Ideas

mtbr member
    Dec 2019

Hope Santa in Santa Cruz does't tick some off

For the educated only

OK let me keep this simple. It seems some people hate back stories on this forum. I must strike their sensitive side. Looking at 2 bikes. The Santa Cruz Bronson 2.1 and the Giant Trance advanced 2, or the advanced? I will not be doing 5 ft. drop INS that I know of. I also don’t want to get to that point and wish I saved to get a better bike. My riding style as to what I think I will be doing is enjoying downhill as we all do and to eventually not case jumps and clear them regularly. This may take a moment to due to my biking stamina is not there and probably my experience from years past has taken a hit with age. I hope to get this back pretty quickly once I start hitting the trails again. I do not want to be the one that gets a bike and quickly get to that point and thinks I should have gotten the better bike. My LBS has deals on a 2018 Santa Cruz 2.1 Bronson and the Giant Trance family. It is the holiday season and they are willing to deal. Can someone that has had one or the other give me their riding experience on each what you like/ what you dislike, and maybe changes you made? The Giant have the Maestro Suspension Technology and the Santa Cruz Bronson 2.0 has the VPP suspension. Is there anything I should know about these two different suspension types? The 2.1 Santa Cruz does the .1 let me know it’s an upgrade from the 2.0? Any education to help me make a better buying decision would be greatly appreciated? The prices are in the same field since the Santa Cruz is last year’s model. They are all under 3K or close to that area. Some say these two bike basically ride the same and it really comes down to components is that correct? Thanks for any information.
    Last edited by bemgolf; 12-09-2019 at 08:25 PM.

mtbr member
    What's this got to do with Christmas?
    Do the math.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Ghost would be a fine starter bike. It’s what some might call a “dental hygienist bike” and for your first bike it’s fine.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    ...It’s what some might call a “dental hygienist bike”...
    Bahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Gold.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

Bikesexual
    Lol^^^^
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Big Mac
    Y’all better hope the internet behavior patrol doesn’t see this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    How about a Vitus from Chain Reaction?

You get better components and probably geo.

Take a look

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...mountain-bikes
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Ghost would be a fine starter bike. It’s what some might call a “dental hygienist bike” and for your first bike it’s fine.
    Come on...it's more of a 'dad' bike.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

be1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    How about a Virus from Chain Reaction?
    virus? yikes.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Dads can be dental hygienists! Don't be part of the emotionally abusive, job-shaming, oppressive matriarchy. Your stock share value is gonna tank.

I meant "dad's."

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    virus? yikes.
    Lol, talk about dental hygienist!

Fixed.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Haud yer wheesht!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    What's this got to do with Christmas?
    Anyone make a bike called the Festivus?
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Youre being sexist!

Those are fine starter bikes, but I f you’re really going into trials, youll be beating the snot out of it. Im a lightweght, at the time around 120 lbs, and i broke a frame, bent forks, bent cranks, bent casette teeth, chainrings, snapped spokes, dented and bent rims, bent saddle rails, seatposts, rear axles. If youre talking trails, then no worries!
    But if youre lifting bro, all bets are off!

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    These forums are rather funny they will kill you with questions on spelling, or title meaning, or the famous grammar police (Have to love them). To help those that can't make out the reason I chose the "Christmas Ideas" for my title it was to get hits as it did. If I read a post with a strange title I would first read and answer if I wanted too, then if my mind is creative might think out why someone would choose the title they did. Being that Christmas is right around the corner an educated guess might be this guy is thinking about getting a bike for himself at Christmas. So easy. I guess it is very hard this day and age for people to think outside the box. The only reason someone joins a forum is to gain knowledge. When people answer with this is in the wrong area, or what is the title meaning LOL really doesn't educate anyone. It is rather funny though reading all the non helpful post. Thank you to all that have provided meaningful information..

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bemgolf View Post
    this guy is thinking about getting a bike for himself at Christmas.
    This. Glad you found some useful answers.

high pivot witchcraft
    Where did that last post go? Disappeared into cyberspace before I could respond to it...

Anyway, placed in proper context, this thread arose squarely on the heels of dentist bike, dad bike, Peloton misogyny and other equally intriguing topics. The regulars here are entitled to a little entertainment value too, no? Not to mention that there have to be hundreds, if not thousands, of "which bike for me" threads in here.

All that said, all I can offer to the OP is that I favour bikes with a CDN connection.* Don't particularly have any interest in Cube, or Ghost. Random criterion for bike selection? You bet! My recommendation - get a Kona. I have Konas that are 20 years old that are still as good as they day I bought them, despite the massive beatings they have taken. While there are no guarantees as to frame integrity in the long haul, gram counting has never really been a priority of the guys behind Kona. Now, whether you can find something in the Kona lineup with the right geo for trials riding is beyond me, as that ain't my jam.

*hopefully my random criterion for bike selection is not in any way offside, politically, socially, ideologically or otherwise...
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Hate it when that happens. I was lucky enough to see it before it got nuked too. Had the “T” word in it. Could have been offensive. Snowflakes can get butthurt and that is a risk the mods can’t take.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Hate it when that happens. I was lucky enough to see it before it got nuked too. Had the “T” word in it. Could have been offensive. Snowflakes can get butthurt and that is a risk the mods can’t take.
    T rump? I missed it all. Wha happen?

mtbr member
    These forums are rather funny they will kill you with questions on spelling, or title meaning, or the famous grammar police (Have to love them). To help those that can't make out the reason I chose the "Christmas Ideas" for my title it was to get hits as it did. If I read a post with a strange title I would first read and answer if I wanted too, then if my mind is creative might think out why someone would choose the title they did. Being that Christmas is right around the corner an educated guess might be this guy is thinking about getting a bike for himself at Christmas. So easy. I guess it is very hard this day and age for people to think outside the box. The only reason someone joins a forum is to gain knowledge. When people answer with this is in the wrong area, or what is the title meaning LOL really doesn't educate anyone. It is rather funny though reading all the non helpful post. Thank you to all that have provided meaningful information..
    Brian, Brian, Brian,

In this thread you posted pretty much exactly what you posted in the link I post below
    https://forums.mtbr.com/bike-frame-d...s-1122805.html

You didn't engage with any of the 2 people who responded to that thread, let alone thanking them for their advice.

You then have the gall to chide people for "non-helpful advice"...and all of this after you posted a misleading thread title. What bike should I buy will get you far further. In this "post truth world", one reason we love MTBing is to get away from the BS in the world. We don't engage to deal in click-bait threads.

If you don't help yourself, it's not reasonable to expect others to help you

Now, here's a solid gold tip for you. One can search MTBR via using google. The search string to search for
    e.g. $1500 bike is site:forums.mtbr.com $1500 bike
    e.g. budget bike is site:forums.mtbr.com budget bike
    You get the idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    T rump? I missed it all. Wha happen?

I can’t even repeat it, they’ll delete it. Plus it’s just too risky, you’ve seen what happens when the snowflakes get their feelings hurt

NDD
    mtbr member
    I think for Christmas you should stop worrying about the bike, and go hang out with your family or maybe your friend's family if you don't like yours, that's not my damn business. Whatever you do, try to go somewhere they are serving a nice turkey or something other than ham. That is just boring.

Now I'll help with a list of what I think you should get your family for Christmas:

Father - Wool Socks
    Mother - Cotton Socks
    Siblings - Synthetic blend socks with dinosaurs printed on them
    Pets - just more food and catnip if a cat, and like 30 bones if it's a dog
    Significant Other - wool socks and fancy underwear, maybe also a Peloton
    Aunts, Uncles(,) and Cousins - homemade marmalade.
    dang

mtbr member
    How bout some clothes hangers to go with that peloton

NDD
    mtbr member
    How bout some clothes hangers to go with that peloton
    See that's good thinking. This is why my wife will leave me. "You got me a workout thing and no clothes hangers"?!?!
    dang

mtbr member
    The dental hygienists I know make ok money, Ghosts are more like dental assistant bikes.
    MTBR is a cesspool.

mtbr member
    Yeah. We boomers tend to use the Christmas and the holiday season to think of others and get gifts for family and friends.

We get gifts for ourselves all the rest of the year.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Dads can be dental hygienists! Don't be part of the emotionally abusive, job-shaming, oppressive matriarchy. Your stock share value is gonna tank.

I meant "dad's."
    Your original use of 'dads' was correct in context. Using the apostrophe implies ownership of something, vs. plural usage in your opening sentence.

I'm a dad, so I simply cannot use the word in a derogatory manner; therefore, I get a free pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    The dental hygienists I know make ok money, Ghosts are more like dental assistant bikes.
    There's a difference?

mtbr member
    The only reason someone joins a forum is to gain knowledge.
    ^ This, exactly! Oh, and to also look at naked pics.

mtbr member
    The only reason I join forums is to magnanimously share my vast experience, knowledge, insight and wisdom with the unwashed masses.
    Do the math.

be1
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Hey thanks for the well informed Mountain bike answer. That help tremendously. Ill be sure to come to you when I buy my next car also. great answer...

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Yes typically if they cant read in one thread I am not sure why I posted it again as they generally cant read and answer a simple question in the other. My bad not sure what I was thinking maybe giving them the benefit of the doubt. I wonder if you ask on here how to ride a bike what kind of idiotic answers you would get from that? These goons simply either do not understand the question I am asking or just are not interested in helping anyone out? Its ok though I have posted to other areas and other forum that have given some great answers. Just on this one I have not received many educated answers and you really have to wonder what is on here.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Wait, I think I didn't understand yore quisten. I thought you were looking for Christmas ideas.

The other thing about Christmas is that people like to get Christmas cards. You should take some photos with an incredibly cute dog in a sweater and give them to your family and/or friends.
    dang

Rabid Lana Fan
    What about FitBit gifts?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Nat
    mtbr member
    Your original use of 'dads' was correct in context. Using the apostrophe implies ownership of something, vs. plural usage in your opening sentence.
    Yes I know, that’s what made it a joke. There was an entire thing last week about improper apostrophes.

I meant apostrophe’s.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    What about FitBit gifts?
    Lol
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Yes I know, that’s what made it a joke. There was an entire thing last week about improper apostrophes.

I meant apostrophe’s.
    Balls; I missed that one. My apology's.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Balls; I missed that one. My apology's.
    No worry's.

be1
    mtbr member
    thank's guy's - now i know what i can give for christma's. good thread. lot's of good info here. not like some of the other thread's.

Bikesexual
    thank's guy's - now i know what i can give for christma's. good thread. lot's of good info here. not like some of the other thread's.
    So your wife is getting a Peloton?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

be1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    So your wife is getting a Peloton?
    fitbit

pretty sure i'm getting ballwash

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I can’t even repeat it, they’ll delete it. Plus it’s just too risky, you’ve seen what happens when the snowflakes get their feelings hurt
    It's more about trying to keep the thread on a sort of track. The deleted comment was just going to send this thread into a wreck.

Out spokin'
    Sack religious!

If you continue in this vein, prepare to undergo ceremonial degloving.

=sParty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 12-10-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Misspeel
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Sack religious!

If you continue in this vein, prepare to undergo ceremonial devolving.

=sParty
    It's nut-thing to be alarmed about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There's a difference?
    Hygienists make about twice as much (my wife's one).
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

be1
    mtbr member
    Sack religious!

If you continue in this vein, prepare to undergo ceremonial degloving.

=sParty
    devolving. degloving.
    same thing.

edit: wait... they aren't the same thing at all. i'll take devolve please.
    Last edited by be1; 12-10-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: clarify

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    So I posted this exact thing on another site and folks just for educational purposes this is a solid helpful response.

The Bronson and the Trance definitely do not ride the same. The geometry is similar-ish on paper, but the Bronson is a little slacker in the head angle. Neither are particularly modern beasts by today’s standards, though for your average rider they’re both great bikes. I much prefer VPP to Maestro, this is where the biggest difference lies. Maestro is quite active all the time, meaning it doesn’t pedal well, but it works well all the time. VPP is much more pedal-efficient. Uphill you’ll find it to be much better. It does have a little brake jack though, meaning it’s less active under braking – my Nomad is the same and I’ve simply gotten used to it, and I love riding it.

Add to this the fact that Santa Cruz frames are far superior to anything Giant make, they last forever, have a great warranty and Santa Cruz provide the original owner with replacement pivots bearings (for free) for the life of the bike. By contrast the original Giant pivot bearings are the lowest quality they can get and will likely need replacing in under a year.

Also I’m not sure what you mean by Bronson 2.1. They did change the bearings in the linkage from angular contact to radial so maybe that’s it? Honestly it doesn’t make a lot of difference though.

I’d 100% go for the Santa Cruz.

This is how its done maybe they just don't care or want to put int he time to write something this helpful. O well just thought i would share how its done.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Hmm... What an edit of that first post! I barely recognize it.

Could I recommend the Peloton now that you're afraid of getting back into BMX and becoming degloved?
    dang

Haud yer wheesht!
    "Christma's".

Gold, Jerry, gold.
    tRump is SCUM.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Sack religious!
    My my, aren't we testes?

Up In Smoke

Add to this the fact that Santa Cruz frames are far superior to anything Giant make, they last forever, have a great warranty and Santa Cruz provide the original owner with replacement pivots bearings (for free) for the life of the bike. By contrast the original Giant pivot bearings are the lowest quality they can get and will likely need replacing in under a year.
    Big statements here. Don't believe everything you read on internet forums.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

Haud yer wheesht!
    Saw this on the way home yesterday.

Christmas Ideas-trees.jpg

tRump is SCUM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree's.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	1298037

Dammit!!! LOL.

be1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Hmm... What an edit of that first post! I barely recognize it.

Could I recommend the Peloton now that you're afraid of getting back into BMX and becoming degloved?
    i think he/she/they was trying to give an example of a helpful post. you must modify your posting style to conform! how dare you?
    Last edited by be1; 12-12-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: added most likely pronoun

NDD
    mtbr member
    i think he/she was trying to give an example of a helpful post. you must modify your posting style to conform! how dare you?
    Yes that's true but I was referencing how the OGPost in this thread was updated beyond recognition. Scroll back up and look at the first post. In the original version it said nothing of a Santa Cruz Bronson or the fact that he wanted to get his lady a bike, also. In fact, there's enough info in the newer version to answer at least some questions.
    dang

be1
    mtbr member
    gotcha.

edit: sorry, i lost interest in the original post. ADD caught up with me.

One ring to mash them all
    Sack religious!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roge View Post
    My my, aren't we testes?
    Y'all going for the low-hanging fruit.
    One does not bother to count the individual turds flying in a dogshit hurricane.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post

Name:	Tree's.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	1298037

Ha!

mtbr member
    Anyone else getting negative reps from the OP? Our boy is a bit loose in the bananas me thinks....

He told me to stick to the original topic based on my 'Ha!' post above.

Up In Smoke
    Anyone else getting negative reps from the OP? Our boy is a bit loose in the bananas me thinks....

New guy is having a hard time making friends. I enjoyed your "Ha!" post. Keep the good stuff coming.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    New guy is having a hard time making friends. I enjoyed your "Ha!" post. Keep the good stuff coming.
    He won't last long.

One ring to mash them all
    Ha!
    HaHa!

Christmas Ideas-img_20191213_081200757.jpg
    One does not bother to count the individual turds flying in a dogshit hurricane.

Snow Dog
    i'm offended by that....
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

be1
    mtbr member

yeah. crazy. demand an answer then sling negative rep when you don't get it the way you want it...

people are dying somewhere. he should chill a bit. this isn't serious.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post

Name:	IMG_20191213_081200757.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	1298357
    Hahaha!!!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Wait, what the heck? Didn't the original post have something to do with Ghost brand bikes from REI?

NDD
    mtbr member
    Wait, what the heck? Didn't the original post have something to do with Ghost brand bikes from REI?
    Yes, things changed, and OP added more/different info, without announcement, so you'd almost never catch it.
    dang

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Yes, things changed, and OP added more/different info, without announcement, so you'd almost never catch it.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  9.7 KB