Chris King & xx1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Chris King & xx1

So I was just doing some research on the web and found this... anyone else seen anything?

Spotted: Chris King & XX1 Playing Nice - CyclingDirt

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nope.
    CK is so picky about producing products that meets their high standards. I had a chat with them about XX1 at Downieville. They just said there design has to meet their standard.

Since they over engineer everything, including the fajitas they cook for us, it does not surprise me they are taking their time.

For me, it's better later and right, then first, crappy, and redesign.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

Your bike sucks
    That's progress. Thanks for sharing the link.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

Team 9.8
    Can.... Not... Wait!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was just excited to see actual pictures after reading so many forums. Like they said I hope Sea Otter reveals when we can get them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Nope.
    CK is so picky about producing products that meets their high standards. I had a chat with them about XX1 at Downieville. They just said there design has to meet their standard.

Since they over engineer everything, including the fajitas they cook for us, it does not surprise me they are taking their time.

For me, it's better later and right, then first, crappy, and redesign.
    Kind of the opposite of the alloy freewheel mechanism debacle...

"It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Kind of the opposite of the alloy freewheel mechanism debacle...
    In CK (and all the other hub mfg's) defence, there's no accounting for people fitting the cheapest cassettes they can find to their $350 hub.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    In CK (and all the other hub mfg's) defence, there's no accounting for people fitting the cheapest cassettes they can find to their $350 hub.
    Except that CK did this back in the day to compete with shimano and make something that was significantly lighter. Shimano stuck to steel and later titanium due to the hardness of the metals, and you'll notice how bad this is with the gears that are not part of the carrier, so it doesn't really matter what kind of cassette you are using (not to mention they were doing this long before alloy carrier cassettes were the standard high-end cassette). The "using a cheap cassette on an expensive hub" is a cop out. You need to go back and look at when these things came out.

CK figured out a way to "beat" the competition, just that there was a tradeoff and you can't really argue they are a "no compromise" type company. This has resurfaced in other areas like their incorrectly spaced 150mm DH hubs from a few years back or the omission of a compression-wedge to properly preload headset bearings. Some CK stuff is nice, but you gotta deliver the entire product, and they have failed to do so in some areas. "High standards"? Well, I won't argue their standards are low, but they aren't some magical do-no-wrong company, they've had plenty of screwups, some that have turned off customers for life. Much of what they do is easily replicated by others (cane creek 110), because it simply isn't all that complicated. Their angular contact bearing hubs are nice, no doubt, but I just don't see the "high standards" part of it...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    http://chrisking.com/webfm_send/556

I just put in an order they are shipping may 1st!!!! $209 for the complete conversion with bearings, new end caps, seals etc installed, $177 for the end caps, rings and shell which most of us will need that own kings already and that is the one i will be getting. Part number is phb585 for the $177 which means you will need to take the current drive shell bearings out and move them to this xd driver.