Chip on new carbon fork (painted) - anything to be concerned with?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Chip on new carbon fork (painted) - anything to be concerned with?

As I was applying some frame protectors to my new bike (haven't even gotten a true "maiden voyage" on it) I noticed this nice chunk out of the paint around the crown of my fork. I'm assuming it happened while the shop was assembling it - it's in a really odd spot so I don't blame them for not noticing it. I certainly didn't notice it before I took it home. Now that it's there, is it something to be worried about? It's my first carbon fork so I'm not sure if I need to be concerned.

Is there anything I can do to stop it from chipping further?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Looks like a paint chip to me. It won’t continue to chip. I have had many chips on carbon fork. No issue as long as it is just paint. Would say touch it up but that is a hard color to match.

Flat Pluto Society
    I'd at least take it back to the shop and show them so your ass is covered if "something" happens down the line.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Looks like a paint chip to me. It won’t continue to chip. I have had many chips on carbon fork. No issue as long as it is just paint. Would say touch it up but that is a hard color to match.
    Thanks. I'm going to try to find something close to touch up with. It's right under the headset in a pretty invisible area so even a non-perfect match will be fine. Jamis doesn't stock touch-up paint but I'm sure I can find an RAL color that comes close. I'm concerned about further chipping 'cuz it looks like it's getting a little lighter around the edges of that chip already.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WebDevDan View Post
    Thanks. I'm going to try to find something close to touch up with. It's right under the headset in a pretty invisible area so even a non-perfect match will be fine. Jamis doesn't stock touch-up paint but I'm sure I can find an RAL color that comes close. I'm concerned about further chipping 'cuz it looks like it's getting a little lighter around the edges of that chip already.
    If you find the exact color it will likely look worse. So if you do, great, but if not, a little clear nail polish/ epoxy will shore up the damage.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Nail polish.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I too tought about nail polish but giving it a personality, no need for color match

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    So I spoke to Jamis, who told me to contact the shop I got it from. They're going to go out of their way to put in for a new fork - which is insane. But looking at it in better light from underneath (and with my camera lens wiped clean), it's pretty apparent this is a pant defect/bubble that chipped off. I'm not too worried about it and will still ride it 'til whatever happens happens.