cheap workstand- Mtbr.com

Thread: cheap workstand

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

cheap workstand

Hi all, I was inspired by lisanne's home-made workstand posted on the bicycle victoria forums, see

http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8572

and decided that I needed one myself.... the one i already have is wall mounted and its a pain to work on the side of the bike facing the wall..... and it wobbles a bit when i cycle the drivetrain, which makes me worry about the seat tube where i clamp....

I thought that it would be good to try and modify her design to allow the front wheel to remain on while on the workstand, which of course brought up a whole raft of other probs... however, a bit of creative (if crude) work with a saw, and a rubberband to hold the front wheel down, plus a bouple of elastic rubber strappy thingys from strap-on sks road mudguards hold the bb in place...

In any case, it worked out great! Works well. And cost nothing, as i had the screws, workhorse and bits of wood just lying around.... and it fits all of the 5 bikes we have in the garage (cables top tube mounted, below the bb, or no cables at all, and also all kinds of bb's).... have a look at the pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    that's an interesting workstand. however, it looks too ghetto to me. I wouldn't want to build it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    rather spend the money on bike parts is all.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Interesting... Have you considered putting some kind of padding between the wood and the BB shell?

pedal pusher
    I agree with the padding idea. Nice fenders, BTW. I probably looked at the bike of the bike a dozen times before I noticed them.

pedal pusher
    You know, after looking at it some more, I think a great mod would be to use an even longer 2x4 for the base (so it'd extend beyond the front of the bike) and mount the front of it to a garage wall with a strong hinge. Bike storage and a work stand all in one; just swing it out to work on the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0