Change shoe padding, beneifical?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Change shoe padding, beneifical?

Just goy myslef a pair of Shimano SH-M180, at only $75USD here in Hong Kong! That's half the price I saw in a lot of online shop! Have already had a few rides on it and it feels good.

When I install the cleasts, I pull out the shoe padding and noticed it was just a piece of PE or something like that, so I was thinking of change it to some higher quality padding, like some soft plastic with shock absorbing material. Just want to know have anyone tried that before? How does it feel, coz I afraid doing so will reduce the power transfer as the plastic will act as a cusion and there will be "bob" in my shoes! And, has anyone had any issue with that stock PE padding come with the shoes? I afraid they might fail after sometime, as pedaling will make my foot move a little bit on the same position, so I afraid the padding will wear pretty fast...

Thanks for any advice!

TNC
    noMAD man

It can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Lam
    Just goy myslef a pair of Shimano SH-M180, at only $75USD here in Hong Kong! That's half the price I saw in a lot of online shop! Have already had a few rides on it and it feels good.

When I install the cleasts, I pull out the shoe padding and noticed it was just a piece of PE or something like that, so I was thinking of change it to some higher quality padding, like some soft plastic with shock absorbing material. Just want to know have anyone tried that before? How does it feel, coz I afraid doing so will reduce the power transfer as the plastic will act as a cusion and there will be "bob" in my shoes! And, has anyone had any issue with that stock PE padding come with the shoes? I afraid they might fail after sometime, as pedaling will make my foot move a little bit on the same position, so I afraid the padding will wear pretty fast...

Thanks for any advice!
    Some insoles like Spenco and others are nice and comfy and are even supposed to preserve or transfer energy instead of losing or absorbing all of it. I know they improve the comfort in most of my athletic use shoes. Remember that fatigue and discomfort also sap power.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Lam

Thanks for any advice!
    I've used Scholls insoles for years in my Sidis. I've experimented with gel and foam and the cheap foam inserts work the best for me.