Chain Slackage...What the...(x-post)- Mtbr.com
    The Riddler

Chain Slackage...What the...(x-post)

I just installed a new XT chain and 11-32 casette, replacing the exact same items. I noticed, however, that in the 32 ring and three smallest sprockets, there is a slacking in the chain, it simply flops on the chainstay. What the dilly???? This didn't happen on the exact same setup i had mere hours ago. Is it a chain length issue or what. If it helps, while in the 32-32 the rd skips somewhat, which also didn't happen before. I would appreciate any help.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    I just installed a new XT chain and 11-32 casette, replacing the exact same items. I noticed, however, that in the 32 ring and three smallest sprockets, there is a slacking in the chain, it simply flops on the chainstay. What the dilly???? This didn't happen on the exact same setup i had mere hours ago. Is it a chain length issue or what. If it helps, while in the 32-32 the rd skips somewhat, which also didn't happen before. I would appreciate any help.
    Usually to get the recomended chain length do this:
    with out threading thru the rear der wrap chain around biggest chainring up front and biggest in the back and add two links. I don't like doing it that way cause you should never be in biggest biggest cause it causes too much wear and there are better gears to be in anyway, but if you tend to shift into that gearing some times it could save you a rear der at some point. Anyway you can take out several links from that recomended length (i think i used to do either the same length as measured or 2 less links).

as for rear der skipping there was a thread about this recently but i don't remember which forum. The manufacture of your der should have instruction on their website.