Rent this space for $

In case you missed it, Art's Cyclery is DONE!

It ain't dead yet but they're online sales is just about finished. Game over!

"All Sales Final"

Says it all.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    whoa
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    That's sad.

I hate to see businesses go away.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    W.T.F.?? That was one of the first legit bike shops that I visited. I ordered a lot of stuff online from them over the years, but haven't really been buying that much for the last year or so in general.

Moderator Moderator
    Bummer. I've bought a few things from, standup place.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    That's sad.

I hate to see businesses go away.
    I agree. Seeing it from a local level, things have "seemed" a bit amiss over the last year or more. Many inside changes, behind the scenes sort of stuff. Relatively speaking, I'm sort of "new" to this whole mtb scene over the last 5 years and having Art's, a heavily inventoried "online" presence in my backyard, has been a really great thing. It's cost me a whole lot of money, though! It'll be tough to see that disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    W.T.F.?? That was one of the first legit bike shops that I visited. I ordered a lot of stuff online from them over the years, but haven't really been buying that much for the last year or so in general.
    On a local level, the shop is slated to continue. Supposedly, it's a profitable entity but I'm pretty certain the parent firm is not the least bit interested in owning and managing a "bike shop" since online retail is their thing. I'm guessing the bike industry is just too much of a whore's market and it's just too costly in money and effort to stay relevant. I don't think they have quite the same issues with the other online markets they run. In fact, I think they dominate those markets so this bike thing just has to go. Getting Art's "offline" and settled into its own retail location will make it a saleable entity. Who wants to buy a Local Bike Shop?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    So this could be your fault that they failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Hate to see a great shop with exceptional customer service close their doors. I bought plenty from them. Sad day

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Hate to see a great shop with exceptional customer service close their doors. I bought plenty from them. Sad day
    Do not lament, my child, for there is hope.

Oh my sack! says they are keeping the brick and mortar entity open.

I hope thatís true. Only been there once, and it seemed like they were doing better than most bike shops Iíve seen. And their CS, both over the phone and in person, was stellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Ah makes sense now...got a killer deal on an xx1 chain last week.

Demon Cleaner
    Itís my understanding it will continue as a local shop. Several employees bought it out. New retail space on Short St (nearby). But thatís hearsay, I havenít read it or heard directly from the new owners.

Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Bummer I just bought some MRP stuff from them last week and the price was smoking!
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Damn. Was just trying to get tires from their site, Minion DHF was only coming up in 2.5 which was weird, makes sense now.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Too bad, so sad. Had a lot of good dealings with Art's over the years.
    How can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all. I'll keep digging, till I feel something.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Who wants to buy a Local Bike Shop?
    I know two that went up (or down, as it will) just within the past couple months.

One was profitable enough, but I think the owner simply was ready to retire. He had plenty of money from his first career (international lawyer for a pharmaceutical company), and his bike shop was just what he wanted to do. Nobody wanted to buy it, so it's just closing.

The other one, I dunno about. It was only open for a few years. The owner was a client of mine (for my small mapping business) who hired me to make a fancy trail map awhile ago, and had asked me to update said map. Guess I'm not updating that map now. I do know he was going back to college for a program totally unrelated to business. Sounded to me like he wanted to get into land management or something. So I suppose it's possible that he just didn't like owning a shop and decided to go a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I know two that went up (or down, as it will) just within the past couple months.

One was profitable enough, but I think the owner simply was ready to retire. He had plenty of money from his first career (international lawyer for a pharmaceutical company), and his bike shop was just what he wanted to do. Nobody wanted to buy it, so it's just closing.

The other one, I dunno about. It was only open for a few years. The owner was a client of mine (for my small mapping business) who hired me to make a fancy trail map awhile ago, and had asked me to update said map. Guess I'm not updating that map now. I do know he was going back to college for a program totally unrelated to business. Sounded to me like he wanted to get into land management or something. So I suppose it's possible that he just didn't like owning a shop and decided to go a different direction.
    Sounds like both made it an enjoyable hobby.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Rent this space for $
    Or not-so "enjoyable" possibly?

It takes a hell of a lot more than "bike stoke" to make a shop successful. I have some sneaking suspicions of who might possibly be candidates for new ownership and I'm not so sure they could make it fly in the long term. Kind of like the old saying I learned referencing the airplane business... "Q: How do you turn an aircraft operation into a million dollar enterprise? A: Start with five million dollars!" I think it applies across the board. I wish whomever it is, lots of luck.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Well damn. They always had great deals on tires and were very responsive to questions or returns. I stocked up on e*thirteen tires today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    So this could be your fault that they failed.
    LOL I doubt it but to be fair I haven't been buying parts period, just focusing on trying to ride.

mtbr member
    I just got a TLD A2 helmet from Amazon with a $56 discount. It was fulfilled by Art's Cyclery. I guess this explains why.

mtbr member
    So that's why I just bought some alpinestars and TLD clothing for about 50% off.

Demon Cleaner
    New location on Short Street. My guess is that only the online business is done.

Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I bought my 1st gen Bronson on clearance plus a coupon. Almost two years later and used versions are listed for more on Pinkbike. I also was so quick to order given that I was worried about scooping it from me, I forgot to order some extras I wanted with it. I called up and they handled it no problem.

I've always been fond of them for that, so I hope things work out for the shop itself long term.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    New location on Short Street. My guess is that only the online business is done.

Y'up. For now and hopefully the future. Opening Oct 01. I haven't heard whether it's under new ownership. Looking forward to popping in when it's up and running.

No known cure
    Art's has always been generous with raffle swag at local races.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Y'up. For now and hopefully the future. Opening Oct 01. I haven't heard whether it's under new ownership. Looking forward to popping in when it's up and running.
    A friend works in HR of the previous parent company. The word is that a few of the shop employees are the new owners and they are eliminating the online store, taking it back to the original LBS. Iím curious what brands they will carry and what their inventory will be like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHeez View Post
    A friend works in HR of the previous parent company. The word is that a few of the shop employees are the new owners and they are eliminating the online store, taking it back to the original LBS. Iím curious what brands they will carry and what their inventory will be like.
    I'd bet that having the online website is a mammoth undertaking. You have to stock thousands of products. Just having the LBS is more manageable. Well, it looks like it possibly wasn't a bike business fatality.

jcd's best friend
    It sucks to see them go, but at least I got my order in last week for a bunch of their stuff. I even picked up a sweater with their logo on it
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Figure they are about out of stock on most items. I placed a order for some stuff and half the order got refunded.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    Figure they are about out of stock on most items. I placed a order for some stuff and half the order got refunded.
    You didnít really need that stuff anyways.

mtbr member
    They will be a rad shop now focusing on great customer service and local community support. The 3 new owners are rad guys who rip! If you're ever in SLO, definitely stop in!!

One ring to mash them all
    Hopefully they keep their blog up.
    ITMFA

Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    They will be a rad shop now focusing on great customer service and local community support. The 3 new owners are rad guys who rip! If you're ever in SLO, definitely stop in!!
    Sounds like they might be too rad for most of us. Are they of this earth?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    I'd bet that having the online website is a mammoth undertaking. You have to stock thousands of products. Just having the LBS is more manageable. Well, it looks like it possibly wasn't a bike business fatality.
    The previous owners were the ďWarehouseĒ companies. They run Tackle, Tennis, Inline, Hockey, Horsey (& I know Iím forgetting others) Warehouse, so they had the online marketplace figured out. Artís started out as a LBS in the SLO area and has been a mainstay, itís cool that people had the vision to bring it back. Hoping to check out the new shop this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Stopped by this afternoon and there was a ton of local riders stopping by to do the same. They are still getting merchandise in but the shop is filling up nicely. The service area is open but they are getting a bar and seats so you can bend the ear while your bike gets serviced. They will be carrying Specialized, Yeti and likely SC.

Itís not going to be the online beast it once was, but all three new owners were on site and each one made an effort to help/say hello. You can tell they are pumped. Iím stoked to support them, they even brought my favorite mechanic with them! Definitely worth a check in.

mtbr member
    Stop in and then you can make that decision for yourself. Stay rad

mtbr member
    I ran into a problem with my return.
    I just sent back 2pair of shoes and the new company which took over doesn't look like wants to credit me back...
    They will try to solve it somehow with the previous owner, not sure how long that would take...
    Almost $400 I would like to get back.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Rent this space for $
    I would have expected the old parent company to be on the hook for legit returns of this nature. The "new" Art's is nothing more than a good ol' local, struggling bike shop now and not anything close to the powerhouse of its former self to absorb expensive returns.

Is your return 'stretching' the limits of customer service or is there a valid warranty issue at hand?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I just sent back 2pair of shoes and the new company which took over doesn't look like wants to credit me back...
    They will try to solve it somehow with the previous owner, not sure how long that would take...

how long ago did you buy them? Sounds like the former owner had "all sales final" months ago.

mtbr member

You can't expect the new owners to honor a return on items they never profited from. You're best off contacting Tennis Warehouse as they were the previous owners.

mtbr member
    I was within the 120 days return policy. True, I waited too long, but still within the return time on never used items.
    When I bought them, it wasn't the "all sales are finalĒ deal, just a regular full price purchase, no deal. It was in the end of August, there was no indication online Art's was going out of business...
    Unfortunately, the shoes don't fit me. They are new, never worn outside.
    Hopefully the new Arts can work something out with the previous owner.
    My bad I waited too long to return them...

mtbr member
    ^^^ Worst case, EBay. You should be able to recover a good bit of your money.

mtbr member
    I was within the 120 days return policy. True, I waited too long, but still within the return time on never used items.
    When I bought them, it wasn't the "all sales are finalĒ deal, just a regular full price purchase, no deal. It was in the end of August, there was no indication online Art's was going out of business...

What took so long to try them on?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member

I have received a refund check from Art's today.
    If you guys are reading this, I would like to thank you for taking care of this even though this really wasn't you responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    What took so long to try them on?
    That will forever be a mystery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That will forever be a mystery.
    yes it will