Caring for Matte Paint/Finish- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Caring for Matte Paint/Finish

Hey all, I'm picking up a new bike that unfortunately has a matte/satin paint finish. I don't know about you, but I typically give my new bikes a couple of good coats of carnauba-based wax for the first few weeks. This goes a long way towards keeping them looking fresh for a very long time. I don't know how to care for matte paint, though. I know it tends to get "shiny" spots where it wears, so I'm thinking maybe just beat it to the punch and make the whole thing shiny by waxing as usual, OR, should I use a specific matte detailer such as McGuiers Ultimate Quik Wax, which is ok for matte /satin paint and is not shiny. What are your thoughts (besides just ride the damn thing and don't worry about it). It's a big investment, and I take good care of my equipment. Thanks for any input.

Duck Fonald
    Shine it up with 0000 steel wool, then wax?
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

mtbr member
    I don't care for matte finishes.
    What, me worry?

Rippin da fAt
    I say, clean it with an appropriate solvent and spray it with DelClear so it doesn't look like a junkyard car in a Nu Finish commercial...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would just keep it clean and not worry about doing anything else. Good honest wear on anything is fine with me, and I'm not talking about those who beat the shit out of things.

Duck Fonald
    Saw this the other day. What a way to ruin a good car.

Caring for Matte Paint/Finish-20200610_063707.jpg
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    I found that dirt sticks to a matte finish, much more so than gloss paint. I use car wax on my bike just to help when I rinse the muck off of it. By the time it gets shiny I will be getting a new bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceWeaklegs View Post
    I found that dirt sticks to a matte finish, much more so than gloss paint. I use car wax on my bike just to help when I rinse the muck off of it. By the time it gets shiny I will be getting a new bike!
    Thanks for responding. Yeah, that's what I want to do, so you use regular car wax on a matte paint without issue?

Elitest thrill junkie
    My turner is matte and if anything, it gets more matte over the years. I put frame-protection on it from invisiframe, but regarding your wear concern above, if there is really a place where you are constantly rubbing, say the cranks or maybe on the chainstay, it will get rubbed through, nothing you can do put put some layers over it to provide a barrier. Usually not an issue on a frame, but again, if it's happening on the frame, you'll need to take some additional measures.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Wax? A mountain bike? I wash my bike down with water and brush if muddy ride because I bring it inside house to store. Wipe crud away from moving bits. Otherwise I just ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Truck wash detergent, sponge, and pressure washer. Too easy

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfueler View Post
    Thanks for responding. Yeah, that's what I want to do, so you use regular car wax on a matte paint without issue?
    Yep I use whatever is in the garage. Iím not detailing my bike all the time or anything like that, itís just that a water rinse works better when the frame is waxed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Satin is a bit different than matte IME. I have various satin-painted parts on my car. It works ok there, but IMO on a bike, you're screwed. It's not going to keep that. (it'll end up matte).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I reckon you're way over thinking it. I've got a pressure washer set up next to the roller door in my shed. If the bike's filthy muddy, turn on the water tap, switch on, and blast away. If there's any faint mud stains remaining, a quick sponge with truck wash and water, then a quick rinse spray with the pressure washer sees to that. That's it. Quick. Simple. Effective. Been doing that for over 20 years on my bikes and dirt bikes, without issue.

mtbr member
    I've got a couple matte black bikes and ever really did much caring for the finish. The mud from riding in the wet a few months ago is still on the frame. I've only washed it once when it was really covered in mud. I used a bike wash. Sprayed it on and rinsed the bike off. I rarely wash or clean any of my bikes. I just keep the drivetrain clean. So far...I don't have any wear spots on the frame that are getting shiny. I don't think matte frames really need all that much care.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygz View Post
    I reckon you're way over thinking it. I've got a pressure washer set up next to the roller door in my shed. If the bike's filthy muddy, turn on the water tap, switch on, and blast away. If there's any faint mud stains remaining, a quick sponge with truck wash and water, then a quick rinse spray with the pressure washer sees to that. That's it. Quick. Simple. Effective. Been doing that for over 20 years on my bikes and dirt bikes, without issue.
    Yep, just blast that grease out of the bearings with a pressure washer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Many people are ceramic coating theirs with good success. Check out the MTB podcast for details.

It may slightly alter sheen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yep, just blast that grease out of the bearings with a pressure washer.
    Lol lol. Spot the quarter wit.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    And on the subject of pressure washers, there seems to be those that have some sort of irrational fear of them, and think that they'll somehow "run" their bikes. They won't, of you use them with a modicum of intelligence. Don't hold the nozzle 1 mm away from bearings for example. Like I wrote, I've been using them for over 20 years, without issue. This bike had over 10,000 kms on it, been pressure washed it's whole life, still running all original bearings from head set, press fit bottom bracket, wheel bearings. As have previous bikes, and dirt bikes. And they certainly don't leaf a sheltered life. That's much enough that I had to stop every few metres, and dig the mud out of the frame, to allow the wheels and drive train to keep turning
    Caring for Matte Paint/Finish-27966101874.jpg
    Caring for Matte Paint/Finish-img-20160604-wa0005.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    And on the subject of pressure washers
    Congratulations on your successes in life. This is still bad advice.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Congratulations on your successes in life. This is still bad advice.
    If you're too dumb to tie your own shoe laces for example, then yes, it's probably best you keep away from them for sure. And all power tools too, for that matter. Lowest common denominator and all that.
    Some of us however, have progressed beyond smearing our own faeces around, and have developed a sense of judgement as to what will and won't work for them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfueler View Post
    Hey all, I'm picking up a new bike that unfortunately has a matte/satin paint finish. I don't know about you, but I typically give my new bikes a couple of good coats of carnauba-based wax for the first few weeks. This goes a long way towards keeping them looking fresh for a very long time. I don't know how to care for matte paint, though. I know it tends to get "shiny" spots where it wears, so I'm thinking maybe just beat it to the punch and make the whole thing shiny by waxing as usual, OR, should I use a specific matte detailer such as McGuiers Ultimate Quik Wax, which is ok for matte /satin paint and is not shiny. What are your thoughts (besides just ride the damn thing and don't worry about it). It's a big investment, and I take good care of my equipment. Thanks for any input.
    I have gloss and matte bikes carbon bikes. The gloss is easier to clean as dust wipes off smoothly. However both bikes look the same under a layer of dust so. Over the years on my matte bikes they clean up just fine when I do want to wash them. Same nicks an scratches as you get on any bike. The matte however never looks quite as clean probably due to the lack of gloss.

As for pressure washers... Why? I have never had enough mud to even think about needing pressure.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    What I like to do to keep the matte/satin finish on my bike looking it's best is to clean it then hand apply some silicone spray into a rag and wipe the whole thing down. For obvious reasons don't spray that stuff anywhere near the brakes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you're too dumb to tie your own shoe laces for example, then yes, it's probably best you keep away from them for sure. And all power tools too, for that matter. Lowest common denominator and all that.
    Some of us however, have progressed beyond smearing our own faeces around, and have developed a sense of judgement as to what will and won't work for them.
    Again, congratulations on your successes in life. Still bad advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You could put a coat of clear gloss paint over the matte finish.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    As for pressure washers... Why? I have never had enough mud to even think about needing pressure.
    Yeah, weve got some nasty clay mud here (it in fact stains matte anodized frames ive had) but ive never had need to take the pressure washer to it. Just garden hose spray nozzle and a scrub brush.
    The pressure washer is saved for caked on greasy car parts, blasting off peeling paint, and rubber coatings.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post

As for pressure washers... Why?
    Pressure washers are probably about the 4th greatest thing ever made. Right up there, just behind fast motorcycles, vaginas and mountain bikes

TRANCER
    My bike is matte black and it looks new after I wash it with regular dish soap and water. You're wayyyyy overthinking this.
    Ride

Duck Fonald
    You are picking on the wrong guy.

George Orwell

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I'm not picking on anyone. If the cap fits, wear it.

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/LzbpHGyFzc8

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    https://youtu.be/LzbpHGyFzc8

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    And that's after damaging the seals, by removing them. Bearing seals are NOT removable, despite what all the bicycle YouTube mechanics try and tell you. We'll, that's not quite true, you can remove them, their integrity is compromised after doing so however. You'd get shot for doing so, in an industrial application.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's also not very realistic because he's starting with fully packed bearings (he "services" them before the "test"), which most bearings, especially on bikes, do not come as. They typically have a lot less grease (but roll better). If you've taken them apart to pack them by hand and replace the original grease (before use), it's painfully obvious. It's well known one way to prevent water ingress is simply to pack more grease in, a lot of us do that specifically for our wet climates. That said, it's still not a good idea to power-wash a bike. You are basically hedging all of your bearings and many of them are not easy/fun to replace. It's well established that water washes the grease out, not super fast, but most of us like to get good service life out of our bikes. Again, congratulations on power washing your bike and not having these issues. It's still bad advice to recommend the practice.

mtbr member
    I wish my car offered a matte finish. What a way to improve the looks of a car.

chasing simplicity
    Muc Off makes a matte finish cleaner, but I donít know if itís any good.

As for making your car matte...get it wrapped!
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Caring for Matte Paint/Finish-unnamed.jpg
    Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    so says a guy protected by the anonymity of a forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yep I use whatever is in the garage. Iím not detailing my bike all the time or anything like that, itís just that a water rinse works better when the frame is waxed.
    Well, I bit the bullet and did what you said, used what I had in the garage (McGuiers Liquid Gold), and what do you know, worked like a charm. Added a little "shine", only a little, but silky smooth now, mud doesn't "grip" the paint, and water beads right off. As always, was way overthinking things. Thanks for everyone's advice!

TeamSloan
    Jun 2007
    Wow, came on here to see if there was any better method than what Iíve been doing with my Ripmo V1.

Önope.

Iíll just keep washing it with soapy water, blow drying with the air compressor hose, and then detailing with a clean rag and isopropyl alcohol. Doesnít matter how dusty or mud splattered, Iíve been able to make it look like the day I built it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Teamsloan
    Ibis Ripmo V1 Custom Build
    www.CyclingBuilder.com

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I glossed over most of this thread as did my friend Matt. What did we miss?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

chasing simplicity
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    so says a guy protected by the anonymity of a forum.
    Pot, kettle black