be careful on the trails out there... lot o' noobs and little kids..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

be careful on the trails out there... lot o' noobs and little kids..

Yesterday.. I had to stop short for a little girl on a ride with her dad that somewhat unexpectedly moved left right as I was about to pass her and her dad...

as she was quite small / young I had already been braking quite a lot as soon as I saw her and her dad on the trail in front of me... as I was afraid she would indeed be slightly erratic being fairly young...

she was super cute and her dad was chill and apologetic about her moving into my path and grateful I was aware and able to stop before hitting his small child..

I assured him that it was fine and told him and his daughter that I thought it was awesome they were getting out and riding the trails...

because of how many noobs and kids are out I have been really making a effort to take it easy on the trails in case of encounters such as described above... I can't even begin to imagine how bad I'd have felt if I'd have crashed into the little girl ... very bad indeed... if you are on trails that you think may have kids / noobs out on .. just be mellow and careful..

cheers.

mtbr member
    Me, my wife and my 11-year-old daughter are among the people of whom you speak. Everybody we've encountered on the trails so far with the exception of one older dude has been extremely considerate and helpful.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by FatRap64 View Post
    Me, my wife and my 11-year-old daughter are among the people of whom you speak. Everybody we've encountered on the trails so far with the exception of one older dude has been extremely considerate and helpful.
    Good to hear, could you elaborate on the old dude for us just for entertainment sake?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FatRap64 View Post
    glad to hear you and your family have been getting out... I hope that 99%+ of people will be cool and welcoming to you and your family on the trails... have fun and ride your bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I pass them gracefully then shake my head in disbelieve when I am out of their view. I hope....
    I don't think my mumblings are audible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I pass them gracefully then shake my head in disbelieve when I am out of their view. I hope....
    that is fine.. but especially with the little kids try to be particularly patient... we were all noobs at one point.. I really appreciated people that were nice and encouraging at the time when i first started riding mtb.

100% of the time however be kind and patient with little kids out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Yeah. It was insane in March. Guys with 6 kids in tow stopped on the trail cluster around one trying to get back on the bike. Groups pushing the bikes uphill where they should have been riding, or over obstacles regular riders were waiting to ride down over. And a lot of these were obviously not cohabitating groups. A lot of bikes with chrome fork stanchions. Of course everyone, including me, was courteous. Almost everyone, there was an old guy, even older than me, who went by a few times and was obviously pissed with the situation.

Things seemed to have settled down a bit since then. It's still a bit crazy, but nothing like it was.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    that is fine.. but especially with the little kids try to be particularly patient... we were all noobs at one point.. I really appreciated people that were nice and encouraging at the time when i first started riding mtb.

100% of the time however be kind and patient with little kids out on the trails.
    I wasn't serious.

I always am respectful to others. Others that look like they deserve respect I mean. If I am riding where other senior riders are, we're all the same and skilled enough to ride our bikes.

I'm on instant defense if there are children around. Families, it's like why even bother trying to get around them. Just have to slowly maneuver the obstacle course.

Saw a group of 4 a few days ago on the sidewalk leading to where the trails begin.

They were all 'older'. One lady had a rolly cart she was kneeling on and scooting herself along. Between the group, there was no way to get around them.
    I announced myself before I got too close. They acknowledged me. The scooter lady didn't hear me I guess, the guy she was with mentioned to her. It was odd, she sort of got off the scooter and pushed it forward while she moved herself off to the dirt next to the sidewalk. The 2 or 3 ahead of her stood there. I literally had to go around one person and not hit the abandoned scooter in motion. Not sure if she was angry or whatever. I was slow, in now way pushing them out of the way. Just an odd situation.

Around in, in my own personal experience, it's been more unleashed dogs than families/kids/friends. Of course they are all friendly, even if they do run towards you or lerch at you.

I only ride early morning now when trails are not busy. I don't go to the populated places where 'anybody' can go. Lately it's been getting hot and when I get to the trails there are 10+ people already there at 10.
    That's the worst, in my opinion. It's a waste of my time and gas to drive there to just turn around and leave. That's a me problem though.

I have no issues with families out with their kids. They aren't disrespectful, they just don't know any better. and some times they just don't care. That is their time to be away from their kids by letting them roam instead of in the house constantly disciplining them.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Rider
    There has been a steep decline in noob traffic in the last couple of weeks in my area. It isn't the heat either because a month ago it was 100F too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Good to hear, could you elaborate on the old dude for us just for entertainment sake?
    He was just one of those self-important types with little consideration for others. If my wife and daughter hadn't been present, we'd have absolutely exchanged some additional words.

Old enough to remember ..
    I generally skip riding on weekends, just too many kids and families with small kids out there. Add the "oldies" who have hearing problems, as I do, and it will be a slow ride on our RailTrail that's perfect for time trials.

8 kilometres of slow (15kmh) riding behind SWMBO this morning was enough, made up for it on the other 16 klicks.
    BTW ringing a loud mini bell did no good, but yelling "passing on the left" within 30 meters gets them moving.
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    It's a good thing it's tick and poison ivy season so I've put away the mt. bike till October, otherwise I'd be going nuts with all the new riders out there.

When I was last in the woods in early May, it wasn't the newbie riders as much as the overwhelming numbers of hikers using what had once been trails almost dedicated to mt. biking. As the hikers are allowed on these trails, there's nothing to do but slow and sometimes stop and say Hi and Thank You. My mt. bike FB page see countless comments about how annoying it all is.

OTOH, I'm happy to see so many new people take up cycling.

OTOH, I'm now avoiding many area's on my road rides where I see tons of kids out on their bikes, nobody wearing masks, nobody practicing social distancing and riding the wrong way too boot. Too many walkers also not wearing masks and not social distancing.

Solo road riding seems to be the safest of all the activities right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Solution - try riding trails that are too challenging for toddlers and elderly people on scooters.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

jcd's best friend
    It's been fun seeing more riders out on the trail but geez...my trails are flooded with riders now. I actually look forward to riding when it's raining because I know I'll get the park to myself.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Solution - try riding trails that are too challenging for toddlers and elderly people on scooters.
    Not really, because you'll still find the groups of kids and doddering geezers pushing their bikes up and down those trails too because they haven't yet learned which trials they can ride.

The main thing is to get far enough away or out on a trail system, beyond where they're likely to go. You'll still come across them, just a lot fewer.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Definitely seeing more families with youngsters on the trails and MUPs. Though they scrub my avg MPH's, I slow down, slowly pass without saying much because it can scare the kids and turn them into my path, say hi, and sprint out like Sagan.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Not really, because you'll still find the groups of kids and doddering geezers pushing their bikes up and down those trails too because they haven't yet learned which trials they can ride.

The main thing is to get far enough away or out on a trail system, beyond where they're likely to go. You'll still come across them, just a lot fewer.
    Actually, no, I won't.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I've noticed a number of noobies like that too. They've been pretty good about moving to the right when they hear me coming. But I do slow down for them.

CEO Product Failure
    mtb'ing is definintely on the up swing here. Lots of new riders. And TONS of hikers. (side note: I personally like hikers. They're slower than me and an easier target for mosquitos). My advice is to make sure you have a bell on your handlebars, use it when on the approach as you encounter other users, and be sure to acknowledge the other users (i.e. Hi, Great day for a ride, enjoy your hike, etc.).

The good news in these parts is we have several new trails opening this summer and in the coming season(s). The increased trail usage could literally not have come at a better time. The cities/parks who are currently opening new parks will see these parks having A LOT of users. This will validate their investments and may cause (actually is causing) other cities/parks to increase the amount of trails.

Lastly, always offer assistance if someone has a mechanical or appears lost. We've all been there; pay it forward.

Up In Smoke
    What a dick

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    What a dick

What if the kids are on e-bikes?

Up In Smoke
    What if the kids are on e-bikes?
    I usually assume anyone on an e-motor bike is a beginner anyways, seems like a great idea. Now the whole family can ride and not get separated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For years riding has been my solace. Over the years most trail systems have seen more users and you gradually adjust yourself. I think w/ the explosion of people & new riders seasoned riders feel a little overwhelmed - too much too fast. I have the up most respect for all trail users but there are times I question others judgement but really where are these newbs finding any instruction? C'mon everyone knows how to ride a bike but trail etiquette comes from experience. I have spoken w/ a few rangers (local easy singletrack) and thankfully they have been giving some trail info to new hikers / bikers.