Carbon frame repair- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Carbon frame repair

Hey team. As some of you know i cracked my beloved Rocky Mountain Slayer by massive over clearing of a step up.

I got an insurance payout and bought a replacement Slayer and so have ended up with the old cracked bike. I decided to repair the frame stronger and heavier than before and build it up into a park/dh slayer.

Here's the repair journey.

Initial crack discovery.... Bummer!
    Carbon frame repair-0-02-07-250e8a30869f62247096c6bddfc17a7028a15ec6e24250a24d5682fb0fd1927c_39e7aecc.jpg

Frame pull down and crack propogation identifying
    Carbon frame repair-img_20190413_072109.jpg

Carbon trimming and layup development. 600 gram uni directional used.
    2 layers spiral wrapped sleaving the crack. One layer full length top tube. This will give me torsional strength, plus extension and compression strength. Extending the repair fill length of the top tube will add more strength than the original design.

Carbon frame repair-img_20190413_082211.jpg

Dry wrap, mask area.
    Carbon frame repair-img_20190413_084943.jpg

A couple of hours of fasdidious sanding back to raw carbon.
    Carbon frame repair-img_20190413_125801.jpg

Crack propogation checking. 70% delamination around the circumferance of the top tube. The repair will essentially have to take all the load. Existing structures are broken.
    Carbon frame repair-img_20190413_125925.jpg

Hand layup.
    Carbon frame repair-img_20190413_142713.jpg

Removing breather cloth and peel ply after curing. Heavy 600grm uni will need some fairing and filling to make smooth.
    Carbon frame repair-img_20190414_052242.jpg

Fairing and filling complete.
    Carbon frame repair-img_20190419_075205.jpg

Painted ready for assembly

Carbon frame repair-img_20190419_165255.jpg

Carbon frame repair-img_20190419_165246.jpg

Assembled and ready to ride!
    Carbon frame repair-img_20190419_195807.jpg

Up In Smoke
    Cool project, well done! You trust it?

Its funny I was just thinking about this. Some one posted this frame for sale on craigslist, my first thought was you'd have to be crazy to buy it but you just proved me wrong.

They're asking $200, still seems a bit steep though.

Carbon frame repair-trek.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice work!!
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post

Its funny I was just thinking about this. Some one posted this frame for sale on craigslist, my first thought was you'd have to be crazy to buy it but you just proved me wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trek.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	335.5 KB 
ID:	1247618
    Both reputable carbon frame repairers state unequivocally that repaired carbon is stronger than original. As far as that frame goes: thats way steep. I bought a much lesser damaged Niner RKT RDO for 1/10th the price.

mtbr member
    Is trust carbon repaired properly for sure.
    I have a frame on the way back from bring repaired actually. I would not disagree that repaired carbon is stronger - they are not concerned with weight. If they add 5 layers of carbon, they effectively doubled the amount of material there. That is of course going to make it stronger. The trade off is the frame weighs more than when initially manufactured. (Who cares, in my mind!!)

How many layers of carbon were on your repair?
    How did you remove voids? Any internal carbon?

Most repairs will involve internal supports being used to allow compression of the carbon layers (internally and externally). Usually they use an inflatable bladder so they can remove the air voids. This is absolutely important for long term strength and durability.

mtbr member
    Do i trust it? Yes. i've over trippled the cabon in the top tube. It is definately stronger than before.

But, what i don't know if there is any designed flex it the top tube. If there is designed flex, i have just removed the flex and created a very rigid member (pun intended). It could created a stress point elsewhere to that could cause failure. My gut say no. There is no designed flex, they are simply optimising the weight of teh frame. So it should simply be stronger.

How many layers? see picture 3. 3 layers of 600gm uni. Note that a typical layer weight for a frame build will be 100 or 200gm. I've got the equivalent to 9x 200gm layers!. I could run the top tube over with a truck an it wouldnt break.

Did i have internal layers on the frame. No that is impractical for a frame repair that is is not fully broken. I used the existing top tube to provide the internal structure and externally compressed the layup by applying peel ply, breather cloth (the old towel you can see in picture 8, then i wrapped the repair tight with cling wrap. The breather cloth absorbs any excess resin and the cling wrap compresses the layers to remove voids.

Essentially i created a new top tube over the old one.

mtbr member
    Did you make a homeowners insurance claim on the broken one? Just curious.
    My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Yes, Contents insurance. I was suprised that it was covered. But it was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trek.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	335.5 KB 
ID:	1247618

That adds another level of complexity. You have to jig that precisely or it will not be aligned correctly.

mtbr member
    First ride yesterday back to back with the new Slayer. Its good, rides solid, no flex or noise of any kind. I hit some hard and rough features, some drops to bottom out and all good.
    There is no creasing, cracking or shown paint work.

To be honest, if my filling and paintwork job was a tad better and you didn't know Rocky paint schemes you would have no idea the bike has been repaired. I'm pretty stoked really.

Carbon frame repair-img_20190420_151909.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    What did you use for resin, cured at room temp?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What did you use for resin, cured at room temp?
    I use West system with 105 slow curing resin. Been using it for years. It cures at room temperature.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I use West system with 105 slow curing resin. Been using it for years. It cures at room temperature.
    Cool, ill probably be doing something similar, banged up a chainstay the other day doing some service.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Land of the 230+
    Awesome repair! I take it you work with carbon fiber or at least fiberglass for a living? Or is this just a serious DIY endeavor? Sounds like you did your homework and overbuilt out of safety / caution. If you're still alive to read this, great job!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Got my CF, my resin and hardener. Gotta take a vacation, but when I come back gotta get a respirator and some more sandpaper and my friend that works with CF recommended a ribbed roller to get the air out. Stoked to try it all out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Got my CF, my resin and hardener. Gotta take a vacation, but when I come back gotta get a respirator and some more sandpaper and my friend that works with CF recommended a ribbed roller to get the air out. Stoked to try it all out.
    Talk to your buddy about peel ply and absorber cloth. Then wrap to remove excess resin.
    Be very carfull when you sand back the paint, you dont want to remove carbon if possible. Also talk to him about the ideal layup. You want the fibres running in the direction that want the strength.

Buy yourself some paper overalls and disposable gloves, Carbon dust is itchy as all hell and carsenagenic. You dont want to breath it in or get it on your skin, in your clothes.

If you have never worked with glass/carbon before do a trail run first to get the techniques down. Even ask/pay your CF experienced buddy to help you out the first time. Once you mix that resin up you have 15-20 minutes to layup/wrap before the resin turns "green" You need to know what to do and how to react when/if something doesnt go to plan before the resin turns green.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Awesome repair! I take it you work with carbon fiber or at least fiberglass for a living? Or is this just a serious DIY endeavor? Sounds like you did your homework and overbuilt out of safety / caution. If you're still alive to read this, great job!
    Haha, Yep im still alive. I don't work with glass/carbon as a day job. But I did manage a glasss/carbon devision in a previous job many years ago. So guess you could call me a serious DIYer with some professional knowledge.

Here's my latest build. A hydrofoil kiteboard. A somewhat harder endevour than a mountianbike frame repair!

Carbon frame repair-img_20171223_142854.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, I don't have pictures of each step of the process, but I sanded down to carbon, laid some opposing helix strips, then put a few layers on top of that, then let it cure. Then went to town sanding it down. Some clear-coat on top and hopefully this holds up. Originally, I had damaged it from a sharp impact and I noticed some delamination on the chainstay. It wasn't visibly cracked, but sanding it down it appeared similar to the sanded down top-tube above, where there appeared to be some underlying delamination. I was in my full-on ebola suit for this and yes, those carbon fibers can get everywhere.

Carbon frame repair-01f25db76defb7433a79c5c3413ab74de31540681b.jpgCarbon frame repair-010e8698692037c29440270fd5d749df727c025c9e.jpgCarbon frame repair-0134c5fe3c5de34e0d99254092ad48b08df57fd9b4.jpg