mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Cane Creek rear shock repair

I have an ancient Santa Cruz superlight (2001). I have fun on this bike and I have a 2 races left this year to do on it. These are just "for the experience" beginner races. BUT my rear shock no longer holds air as of 2 days ago. I am getting a new bike in a few months and I have already put too much money into this bike. I need a quick hack or ideas on the cheapest way to get this shock functioning for a short time. At the least I can get new seals and gaskets and fix it myself (which might go horribly wrong but I'm willing to try!) or I can buy a new used compatible shock. What would you do?

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by TTOKER View Post
    I have an ancient Santa Cruz superlight (2001). I have fun on this bike and I have a 2 races left this year to do on it. These are just "for the experience" beginner races. BUT my rear shock no longer holds air as of 2 days ago. I am getting a new bike in a few months and I have already put too much money into this bike. I need a quick hack or ideas on the cheapest way to get this shock functioning for a short time. At the least I can get new seals and gaskets and fix it myself (which might go horribly wrong but I'm willing to try!) or I can buy a new used compatible shock. What would you do?
    Buy a used compatible shock. You have to send in the rear shock to CC to fix, and no guarantees on a fast turnaround time.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

SPECIALizED
    For a quick hack I once filled my leaking Fox shock with RTV silicone. Turned it into a hardtail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Buy a used compatible shock. You have to send in the rear shock to CC to fix, and no guarantees on a fast turnaround time.
    I'm gonna bet that OP's CC shock isn't recent. I still think you're right about buying a used compatible shock. But parts availability is going to be questionable, and who knows if it's user serviceable or not given the age. I know CC tries to keep up with servicing old stuff (I interviewed for a job there and this was one of the topics during the interview), but it all depends on what the shock needs. Might be something simple. Might not.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'm gonna bet that OP's CC shock isn't recent. I still think you're right about buying a used compatible shock. But parts availability is going to be questionable, and who knows if it's user serviceable or not given the age. I know CC tries to keep up with servicing old stuff (I interviewed for a job there and this was one of the topics during the interview), but it all depends on what the shock needs. Might be something simple. Might not.
    I think heíll have an easier time finding old back stock than fixing a shock that old. It depends on if CC have the parts and ability to repair it, and also the time frame for the turnaround.

Iím curious to what the shock measurements are. That could help determine if there is something he could use.
    Hadley hubs for sale

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    OP, great advice above. You should also post this in both the suspension forum and the Santa Cruz forum. Maybe someone has a compatible NOS [new old stock] shock or slightly used one you could buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Like this?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Like this?
    I think that might be it. I don't think CC had any other shock in 2001. I also thought that shock was rebuildable at home?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you-I will look for a used one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    It is an AD 12. I don't know if it matters but it isn't black. Are all CC AD's compatible regardless of the year?. I've seen some used on ebay-some pulled from different makes and years.

since 4/10/2009
    Eye to eye and stroke length need to match. These measurements have always varied from one bike to another so you cannot just buy some random shock and expect it to fit.
    It is an AD 12. I don't know if it matters but it isn't black. Are all CC AD's compatible regardless of the year?. I've seen some used on ebay-some pulled from different makes and years.
    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

the discerning hooligan
    I disagree about not fixing the shock. https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-AD...70_&dpSrc=srch
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

the discerning hooligan
    If you do buy used I think you're looking for 200x57mm. A 200x51 would get you to the end of the season if you were in a jam, especially if the bike is near being retired anyway.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I disagree about not fixing the shock. https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-AD...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Knowing this now, yes, I agree that the shock is fixable if this is all thatís wrong.
    Hadley hubs for sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I have seen this repair kit before and thought about it until I saw the complicated instructions that come with it. But, at $32 there isn't much to lose. I may have to give it a shot since looking for the right sized (used and cheap) replacement is becoming a headache too. I have 2 weeks to get it done, so it should work out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks- I'm having trouble finding a replacement so I will probably order the seal kit.

since 4/10/2009
    Thanks- I'm having trouble finding a replacement so I will probably order the seal kit.
    Assuming that all it needs are new seals and lubrication, this is an easy job to do. At this point, you won't know 100% until you do the job. But based on the direction of the discussion, I'm going to assume you've never had this done? It might be just the seals, but other parts of the shock may be excessively worn/damaged, too. Prepare yourself for that possibility.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    In my experience the seal kit will not work here. OP said his dampening is not functioning so the problem is in the sealed floating piston chamber. Air seals are only used to rebuild the air can.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    In my experience the seal kit will not work here. OP said his dampening is not functioning so the problem is in the sealed floating piston chamber. Air seals are only used to rebuild the air can.
    BUT my rear shock no longer holds air as of 2 days ago.
    Did I read this wrong?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    I believe these Cane Creek shocks are air (not oil) damped. That said, I don't know if they are fully rebuildable at home.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Did I read this wrong?
    not you but me
    I must have been thinking of another thread when I did ^ that^ .
    oops I wasn't clipped in

the discerning hooligan
    I kind of think that the OP could put a couple CCs of light weight fork oil in the air can through the Schrader valve and pump it up to see where it leaks out. It might be enough to get a notion of if it can be fixed or not. It could be as simple as a needing a new core in the valve.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!