CamelBak to Bottle and Sweaty Backs!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

CamelBak to Bottle and Sweaty Backs!

So, I am thinking about switching from CamelBak to bottles on shorter rides (Under 15 miles). Gonna put a pack under my seat and put repair essentials in there but only riding with that and a bottle. Sometimes I feel a heavy CamelBak makes me more top-heavy and if perhaps I had more weight on the bike rather than on me, I might be able to ride better. Also, as it gets cooler here (in Wyo) it would be nice for my back to be able to breath with out sweat freezing me to death. Any thoughts by people who have gone this route?

mtbr member
    Sounds like everyone ever before hydro packs arrived.

Do whatever keeps a smile on your face out there.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    if it's under a 3 hour ride i bring bottles...

longer than that i pop on a camelbak...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    I think Camelbacks best serve FS and wierd geometry bikes that don't have space for a water bottle. I only use mine if I'm going on an extended ride.

2 Things I've found with seat bags:

1) Pack them tight so the contents don't rattle - an extra sweat rag works great.
    2) Find a way to secure the zipper so it doesn't open up and dump your tools on the trail (I use a small carabiner between the zipper and seat rail)

mtbr member
    I tend to overload when I ride with a back and yeah...sweaty back sucks. Especially when a cool gust of wind hits you.

meow meow
    thats exactly what i did. i broke my back (t9 i think) 2 years ago and a pack made me sore. i find a 25 oz bottle is enough for any of my adventures. plus a lg mini race 2 bag under my seat (super slim and clean looking) to hold a few tools and a cell phone. tube and c02 strapped to my frame brian lopes style if im alone. packless ftw!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I use a Camelbak on every ride for 2
    reasons. When its hot I can go through
    a 100oz bladder in a 2 hour period.
    Second, where I ride there are a lot of
    horses, and horse sh*t will get all over
    your bottle. No thanks on that one.

meow meow
    some extra nutrients on a long ride would probably do you good.

mtbr member
    ..Don't forget Roady jerseys with pockets in the back. Perfect for food, wallet, phone, storing gloves and even a light windbreaker. I like my Campagnolo jersey, since it totally clashes with the whole Mt. Bike thang.

since 4/10/2009
    I've found myself wanting to do the same thing because of the Texas heat. I did the seat pouch thing years ago and got one that was too big and everything rattled like I was the percussion section in a band.

if I found a sufficiently compact one, I might give it a try. IOW how effective CO2 is for big (2.4) tires.

mtbr member
    I love my camelback and will never switch to a bottle. Long ride or short the camelback does it all. Sweaty back. Who cares... I ride and I sweat.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I love my camelback and will never switch to a bottle. Long ride or short the camelback does it all. Sweaty back. Who cares... I ride and I sweat.
    Yes on that one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use to only use a camelbak but I now go strictly waterbottles. 32 oz bottle in the cage and another 32 oz in the jersey. I have a water purifier that can fit in a short pocket and weighs 3 ounces. Throw in a good seat pack to carry other essentials and I am all set. I rode with a few guys who did the colorado trail race and they all agreed on one thing. Get all the weight you can off your back and onto your bike.
    Starting a race or big ride with 100 oz of water plus tons of stuff in your pack is no good for me.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    Yes on that one.
    X2.

Another option is to drive out the night before & place waterbottles at spots where you think you might need them. A cooler full of beer about 1/2 way is good, too. Then a little further, you could leave a nice blankie to take a nap on (maybe the GF could meet you there?) Then ride back to the cooler & get one of those Red Bulls you left in it, and wheelie all the way back to the car.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    I switched to a Dueter hydration pack they have a mesh frame that leaves space for your back to breathe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    Yes on that one.
    Sweaty back is not a big issue. It does kind of suck if you sweat like a crackhead like me and a strong gust of cold Wyoming wind chases you all day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    yeah I drink a lot of water. I love my Osprey. Last ride I went on I killed 75oz in 2 hours. I like to stay plenty hydrated, especially out here in Phx. Its finally getting a little cooler so maybe I will drink less during the fall/winter.

mtbr member
    So last night I installed a cage and bottle on my bike, put a pack under my seat and rode. I felt lighter and more in command of my bike. It was only an 8 mile and its been getting pretty cool in the evenings here in SE Wyoming so I didn't need a lot of H2O. I think for epic rides, a Camelbak is still the way to go since I can pack in food and other items in it.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    I guess since where you live it is cooler you can get away with less water on your rides.

Here in Socal I find on a 10+mile ride I can run out of water in my camelbak, I also use it for hiking. I like to carry all sorts of stuff in my pack, Tubes, tools, snacks, phone, wallet, keys, etc. I can't imagine trying to find enough room under my seat for all that stuff.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I guess since where you live it is cooler you can get away with less water on your rides.

Here in Socal I find on a 10+mile ride I can run out of water in my camelbak, I also use it for hiking. I like to carry all sorts of stuff in my pack, Tubes, tools, snacks, phone, wallet, keys, etc. I can't imagine trying to find enough room under my seat for all that stuff.
    I stash my keys and wallet in my truck so I don't have to carry them. My little pack can handle a tube,Co2 pump, phone, multi-tool and still has a little room left. Why carry wallet and keys?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I drink too much.

Seriously, in Austin, even when it is 90* out and relatively little humidity, I'm through 75oz easy in 3 hours.
    I'll bust out an occasional loop of 7mi or so without water, but if I'll be on the bike for an hour, the dakine nomad is on.

slow
    Bottles and seat bag for me, unless the ride is going over a half day or about 35-40 miles. My bikes have always had braze-ons for two bottles, so neither of my packs sees much use unless I am riding somewhere really hot, or I need extra fuel and clothing for a long ride, or one where I expect drastic weather changes.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I stash my keys and wallet in my truck so I don't have to carry them. My little pack can handle a tube,Co2 pump, phone, multi-tool and still has a little room left. Why carry wallet and keys?
    I don't carry keys, but the wallet has my ID, so if I'm injured, someone can figure out who I am and contact my family. Sometimes I'll stick the ID into my seat bag, but I like to always have one with me on a ride.

Contents of my seat bag:
    Tube
    Patch Kit w/ short strips of duct tape around it
    Co2 pump
    2 spare Co2 cartridges
    2 quick links
    Zip ties
    Multi tool
    Tire levers

All Play
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    if it's under a 3 hour ride i bring bottles...

longer than that i pop on a camelbak...
    Same. Except my time cutoff is roughly 2 hours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Why would anyone worry about a little sweat on their
    back. Hell if you ride and don't sweat you aren't riding
    hard enough.

Good, green, Oregon.
    I have my Osprey on every ride. When I first started using it, I filled it up....100oz every time. Then, I realized one of the coolest features of the Osprey pack, and other hydration packs too......

YOU DON'T HAVE TO FILL THE FULL 100 OZ.!

I know, right? What a cool feature! I felt like a genius when I figured out that I could fill it half way for a shorter ride, or fill it completely for the long rides.

I'll always have my pack though, as it is a kind of security blanket of sorts. Tubes, first aid kit, granola bars, TP, tools, all the essentials can and will be used on the trail, long or short.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Why would anyone worry about a little sweat on their
    back. Hell if you ride and don't sweat you aren't riding
    hard enough.
    The sweat part itself is a given. Having your back be able to breath is good. Probably not much of a factor in southern California but if you ride in Wyoming in cold temps and high winds, it can suck. I never don't sweat riding, but if you go on a long hard ride your back and shirt can be soaked in sweat. Sweat cools you down and when its cold and windy that's a bad thing...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^^ Good point.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    I love Darwin.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I love Darwin.
    I keep my keys in a hidden spot under my truck and I have an ID in my seat pack. Keys are just more junk to possibly lose on the trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0