mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Buying a bike at a festival?

Iím going to Sedonaís 2019 festival in a few weeks. I wanted to know if anyone here has bought a bike at one of these events. Did you buy one of the demos or order a new bike? What kind of discounts were being offered? Weíre there a lot of attendees with bikes to sell?

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn996 View Post
    Iím going to Sedonaís 2019 festival in a few weeks. I wanted to know if anyone here has bought a bike at one of these events. Did you buy one of the demos or order a new bike? What kind of discounts were being offered? Weíre there a lot of attendees with bikes to sell?
    Don't know about Sedona's fest, but at the Sea Otter in Monterey, there are usually guys walking around with their bike with FOR SALE signs on them. But not many- it's kind of a pita to walk with a bike when all you want to do, really, is look at stuff in the booths. Sometimes the guy who works the booth will have a personal bike in the back he's trying to sell, so I wouldn't rule it out. But chances are it'll fit and it's the model you're hankerin' for will be slim.

As far as buying demos from the booth/company itself, I would imagine since they are probably newer models, they don't want to sell them just yet, unless they're desperate for gas $$ to get back home and/or they have some of last year's models, which I really doubt.

The Handmade Bike Show would be much more conducive to ordering, as you can usually speak directly to the guy who's building the bikes.

since 4/10/2009
    I've been to the Sedona mtb fest, and others. The demo trucks aren't selling bikes. Those guys never do. They're providing test rides. A bunch of random people will be trying to sell their personal bikes. Some of them booth staff, most just event attendees. The selection will be entirely unpredictable.

Sedona DOES get demo trucks from some direct sale brands, so if you love a bike, it's fairly easy to order it right there with your phone and a credit card if it's in stock. Otherwise, you have to go home to try to buy something you rode/liked on the demo truck. My wife did that with her last bike. Drove hundreds of miles to a demo event to try it on the trails. Less than a week after getting home, she had ordered the bike from a local dealer of that brand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Good info so far!

What about any festival discounts?

Flat Pluto Society
    Good info so far!

Bring beer in exchange for swag.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Good info so far!

I attended last Sedona MTB festival and I Demo'd a giant, I overheard the guy at the booth offering a "Demo' code you could provide to your local giant dealer that supposedly took off like 5% or 10% from the price. But I don't know if this was just something they have in their back pocket and not something they openly offer. Doesn't hurt to ask while you are there.

since 4/10/2009
    Good info so far!

there are raffles. some with bikes and other goodies. and some of the accessory vendors are selling stuff.

VVCC is raffling of a couple of bikes to help support new trail construction;

https://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/win-...m-1096568.html
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    At Sea Otter last year, a smaller bike maker was selling off the bikes they brought at a slight discount out of a convenience to not have to bring them back home with them. So like everyone else had said so far - there are bikes being sold here and there, but not reliably.

mtbr member
    I am blessed that they do not sell cars at car shows or I would be broke. Try never to buy at shows cause you get all excited in the moment and may well regret any purchases. Do your research and get exactly what you want.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    I am blessed that they do not sell cars at car shows or I would be broke. Try never to buy at shows cause you get all excited in the moment and may well regret any purchases. Do your research and get exactly what you want.
    Truth! I got to yacht shows and always, always, wind up buying one or two.

Here's one:

Buying a bike at a festival?-yacht-2.jpg

mtbr member
    I went to a small local festival to try out a whole bunch of bikes. One of them really stood out to me in a big way and I placed an order for one from the company while I was there.

No great deal on it, but I still love the bike several years later.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Truth! I got to yacht shows and always, always, wind up buying one or two.

Here's one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yacht 2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	1237188
    Commanded by one Captain Picard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Lots of good info. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    I have narrowed it down to about 10 bikes I hope to demo there. I plan to takes notes after each ride and go from there. Iíd prefer to buy a bike used but in excellent condition to save a chunk of money. That brings up a question- is the only way to get the warranty is buying new?

mtbr member
    I'd suggest avoiding buying one @ Burning Man.
    Don't say what you mean, you might spoil your face...

mtbr member
    That brings up a question- is the only way to get the warranty is buying new?
    Most, if not all, manufacturers only offer the warranty to the original owner.

mtbr member
    ^^^ yes, but sometimes factory demo bikes will come with a warranty. I believe an LBS here sells rental bikes with the factory warranty...that is they rent them out and then when they sell them at the end of the year, the buyer becomes the original owner with the factory warranty in effect.
    Do the math.