Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Buy a non boost bike

I am curious, who would you buy a nice used non-boost bike? I am thinking of buying one, but not being boost bothers me. Am I over thinking it? If something happens to the frame, can you buy a new non boost frame? What's your thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Meatbomb
    What is a boost bike?

mtbr member
    ehhh if you need a new frame it's may be time for a new bike anyways.

slow
    Yes. For my most recent purchase, I specifically sought out and bought a high-end used bike with 135mm QR rear end and straight steer tube so that my wheel sets and forks would be interchangeable between the newer bike and my other bikes.

jcd's best friend
    I built my non boost bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    No.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    No.
    "Sort of" agree with this ^^. It will lack a bit of future proofing, resale value, and probably a step behind in geo.

That said, 11 months ago I bought a NOS non-boost 2016 frame and fork. I was mostly focused on getting a frame with an ultra short chainstay for cheap. If your focus is value, these old obsolete bikes are the ticket provided they are what you are looking for. If your focus is modern geo, its going to have boost or super boost.

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    It will lack a bit of future proofing, resale value, and probably a step behind in geo.

these old obsolete bikes
    If he's buying secondhand, I dont think resale should be a consideration, and as far as "future proofing" goes whose to say that Boost will still be here in the future?

no bike is obsolete, only peoples thinking

If a non-boost bike fits all your needs, go for it.
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    If he's buying secondhand, I dont think resale should be a consideration,....
    The way the bottom fell out of the 26er market I feel the same will happen to the non-boost stuff. It will get harder to get rid of on ebay.
    ...as far as "future proofing" goes whose to say that Boost will still be here in the future?...
    No doubt. Super boost will evidentially take over, drive side chainstays are too thin as tires get wider. But boost will only be one gen old when that happens.
    ...no bike is obsolete, only peoples thinking...
    I just built a non-boost bike for this past riding season. I was trying to make a self deprecating joke.

Music & Bikes
    I just got a new bike as a warranty exchange , it's TA Boost.

I'm super pissed because no other wheel set will fit....
    (didn't have choices , either that or no bike)
    I would have preferred a 135 QR bike

Aaaaarrrrrrrrrgh !!!!

I agree that this standard is not neceserly future proof :
    there gonna be Super Boost , then ‹ber Boost , then Super Duper Boost , wich is with the rim outside the rear triangle to leave space for the 24 rear cogs .......

The industry works on that : change the standards every couple of year so you have to buy new stuff all over again.
    My signature is what I think about that
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks for all the feedback. I am 100% concerned about future resell. I don't want to buy a used bike for $1500 and not be able to sell it for even $300 in two years. I think that the standards are changing so fast that our bike values may drop like a rock.

I know I don't want to buy a really nice non boost wheelset because I cannot put them on a new frame.

Love to hear more comments.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    The industry works on that : change the standards every couple of year so you have to buy new stuff all over again.
    My signature is what I think about that
    1st, thanks for the Zappa reference.
    I sure understand what you're saying, but I don't really agree. The evolution of bike design we've been dealing with these last 10yrs has been great for me. Yes we could have carbon 26" wheels and know (or find out if you haven't yet) what stiff offers. Stiffness, it's not just for bottom brackets, is one of my favorite bike jokes. 148 and 157 offer better rear triangle AND wheels that can be compliant (smooth) yet strong enough not to taco when screwing a whip landing.
    I know what it's like to have a dated, XTR level bike in the garage, but I really love my new geo bike.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    I know I don't want to buy a really nice non boost wheelset because I cannot put them on a new frame.
    I think most hub manufacturers offer end caps that act as spacers so we can use the old hubs on boost frames. Check it out so you don't have to buy/build new.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Non boost wheels/hubs will be around until end days.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There are adapters to let you run your wheels on a boost bike. WolfTooth and MRP list some.

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    1st, thanks for the Zappa reference.
    Huge fan here !!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    I sure understand what you're saying, but I don't really agree. The evolution of bike design we've been dealing with these last 10yrs has been great for me. Yes we could have carbon 26" wheels and know (or find out if you haven't yet) what stiff offers. Stiffness, it's not just for bottom brackets, is one of my favorite bike jokes. 148 and 157 offer better rear triangle AND wheels that can be compliant (smooth) yet strong enough not to taco when screwing a whip landing.
    I know what it's like to have a dated, XTR level bike in the garage, but I really love my new geo bike.

I agree that there is good in the new stuff coming out but I was answering the OP, Is new standard gonna stay or will it affect resale value.

Once the industry realized that by introducing new standard & wheel sizes , people were buying new stuff , the race was on.

Just one category : rear hub sizes =
    130 7,8,9 speed MTB road bike
    135 THE GOLDEN standard for MTB for 20+ years
    142 Recent TA standard
    148 Boost
    150 Some DH
    157 Some DH
    170 FB
    177 FB
    190 FB
    197 FB
    And that's just rear hub sizes ....

You can add to that BB type/size , front hub , Head set/column , wheel sizes as other places where there is plenty of different standards.

That's loads and lots and lots of different standards that changes all the time.

So , buying a bike with the resale value as the main thing in mind is a very wild guess me thinks. What ever standard you choose doesn't mean it will stay long.

Last time I checked , there was still more choices in new tires in 26'' than in 650 or 700.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Jim C,

Thanks for the update on the wheel spacers.

fokof,

I never knew there were so many other rear hub spaces for a fat bike. Yikes.

Great information.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I bought a Salsa, which has ways of using many different hubs with the right Alternator dropout adapters. From the factory, mine was 141QR. It can do some combinations of 135QR, 142TA, 148TA, DT Swiss RWS thru axles, single speed, and Rohloff, with or without a fender eye. It's not up to Super Boost, being a MY2017-vintage frame. But if it were, it could get back down to the other sizes using the same kind of adapters. I guess they'll decide when the time comes if that's what they want to make.

One ring to mash them all
    ^Surly has something similar ("Gnotboost").
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    ó Winston Churchill

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I would prefer a 135. Cheaper to buy and likely no joke 1000 times more wheels, hubs etc floating around that will fit. When/if boost becomes inexpensive and abundant, the industry will be pushing a new standard to get people buying more stuff for top dollar. 135 was around before the industry went that direction, so it lasted and the parts piled up.

Always in the wrong gear
    I am curious, who would you buy a nice used non-boost bike? I am thinking of buying one, but not being boost bothers me. Am I over thinking it? If something happens to the frame, can you buy a new non boost frame? What's your thoughts?
    Dude, Boost is already seeing the "freight train at the end of the tunnel" considering super-boost is already popping up some places. With the proliferation of eBikes and 1x12 cassettes wider hub (read: stiffer wheels) will be an arms race to someday we're all on fatbike hubs.

I jest...kinda.

If you really care about resale, this may not be the sport for you. I can't think of a single other sport I've been involved with that changes this fast.

FWIW, my only bike is a 142. Doesn't bother me at all.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    The way the bottom fell out of the 26er market I feel the same will happen to the non-boost stuff. It will get harder to get rid of on ebay.
    I am looking forward to this so I can get more nice 135QR 29er wheels for great prices.

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    If you really care about resale, this may not be the sport for you. I can't think of a single other sport I've been involved with that changes this fast.

FWIW, my only bike is a 142. Doesn't bother me at all.
    Great point! Bikes have the worst resale value of anything I have played with. While I know I want get much back, I do want to buy something that I will be able to sell. I have donated a bike because I just could not sell it even though I was asking 80% less than I bought it for.

mtbr member
    I do think that by the time I can no longer find spares or replacement parts or adapters for my frame or wheels, I'll be quite ok with buying another bicycle. I think that will likely take about 10-15 years.

Cheap bikes are more future-proof than expensive ones

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    ^Surly has something similar ("Gnotboost").
    Sure, for 50% higher price with no suspension fork and slightly weird components.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'd be more concerned about the shock size going to metric and trunion mount. You can still find non-boost wheelsets used, and they'll keep making non-boost hubs just like they've kept making QR hubs, 26" tires, etc. Or you can just get something that you like and ride the pants off it without worrying about resale value, future proofing, etc.

mtbr member
    I don't worry about resale and just get what I want. People have asked why I cut the steerer tube on my forks so short. "What about resale"? I just say because the fork is mine and that's how I like it.

mtbr member
    We had 135 hubs since the early 90's? Its been a LONG time. 142 hubs were really just 135 hubs with new axle caps, its not a new standard. Boost is a few years old now, and its still planned to be used at least for the next few years.

The industry moves sooooooo sloooooow. Its weird that people try to say its a rapid change. Its mind numbingly slow to change *anything*.

Dont worry about super boost. Its a pivot thing, and its really just a 157 hub. Its not actually a standard change, its not used on basically anything and its not going anywhere.

I bought a boost bike, but I swapped the fork for a non boost model. Id definitely buy a non boost bike if I was trying to maximize the value of what I bought. 142 frames are still excellent. 15x100 forks still work great. Boost is pretty cool too, but its not a deal breaker.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm not so sure (non-boost) will die. The gravel bike hypevolution is now adopting 12x100 and 12x142.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    This. Buy a bike to ride it, not to sell it.

The used market is pretty shitty, and people donít get in it to make a bundle, and the depreciation rate on a mountain bike is worse than a caróno matter how much you love it.

If youíre trying to make sure your resale value is high, do wine prospecting.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Or you can just get something that you like and ride the pants off it without worrying about resale value, future proofing, etc.
    Great advice!

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    I'm not so sure (non-boost) will die. The gravel bike hypevolution is now adopting 12x100 and 12x142.
    I did not know that. Thanks.

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Buy a bike to ride it, not to sell it.
    You are right. I think I am looking at bikes I cannot really afford and so I am trying to calculate resale to justify the purchase. I should just be content with my current 3x9 drivetrain hardtail.

I need to cancel my mountain biking magazine subscription. They review too many high priced bikes I can never afford, but I would love to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I need to cancel my mountain biking magazine subscription. They review too many high priced bikes I can never afford, but I would love to ride.
    It is a challenge dealing with bike lust. I enjoy reading about the race scene and never fail to read over a bike review. A great way to be happy with your current bike is actually ride the demo bikes when you get a chance. In my town we get a chance a few times a year. Just get on a few LBS e-mail lists and you'll get notice. Demo bikes are usally the $6k pricepoint models, so you can learn what a carbon deraileur offers (spoiler, not much). I still get bikelust but when I get back on my bike it feels like home.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    True, since I've had thru axles on my gravel bike since about 3 years ago. Thru-axles rock, and gravel bikes have no need for Boost so yeah 12x142 will be around for a long time.

Barely in control
    Yes, but only because 1. I build my own wheels and 2. you can just pull apart the dropouts on a 142 hard tail and slip in a boost wheel.

mtbr member
    I would in a heartbeat because I have a 142 Chris King rear hub in my garage now (with matching 100 front hub).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Worry more about the style of bike and geomerty rather than boost/non boost. I have 2 non boost bikes and 1 boost bike. I am not worried about resale on any of them. I will get what I get when and if I try to sell. Next year could be something that will make even my new boost 2018 bike obsolete and nearly worthless. I am not going to sweat it. I will just ride it as long as I can fine parts. Now one of my bikes can run plus tire sizes and it non boost. Finding non boost wide wheels built up is not easy in the used market. Not many bikes were like that. Still I can always get a wheelset built as non boost hubs are common and now wider wheels are common.

If the bike is a good value and fits your needs well buy it and don't look back.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Gun
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Joe,

Great points. I was looking at new 29" non boost QR wheels and they are very difficult to find. You raised a good point about getting hubs and building wheels. I will look and see what hubs are available.

I would be fine paying their asking price if it was boost, but I am worried about paying top dollar for a non boost bike. I just think getting parts may get harder.

I may go look at the bike and see how it fits me.

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Joe,

Great points. I was looking at new 29" non boost QR wheels and they are very difficult to find. You raised a good point about getting hubs and building wheels. I will look and see what hubs are available. ..

For most hubs QR can be converted to through axle easily. Stans hubs are easy to swap from 9mm QR to 15x100 though. Just swap end caps. For the rear it needs and axle swap from 135 QR to 12x142. I have one set of wheels with 10mm through axle. That a system that looks like 12x142, but fits in a 135 QR dropout.

Now you can take non boot wheels and fit them in a boost frame with adapters and spacers. You can't get boost wheels in non boost frame however. To me the value of boost vs non boost on frame depends alot on what I want to do with the bike. The odd thing with my 3 bikes is my boost bike run s 2.35/2.2 tires on 24mm wheels. My two non-boost bikes run 2.6 and 3.0 tires on 35mm wheels. So when boost was designed for wide tires/wheels I am running wide tires and wheels on boost and skinny on boost frame. Figure that one....

So while it may be a factor I would not call it a show stopper unless you have set of boost wheels laying around that need home.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I don't worry about resale and just get what I want. People have asked why I cut the steerer tube on my forks so short. "What about resale"? I just say because the fork is mine and that's how I like it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    My Transition Scout is 142. For some reason it comforts me to know that my wheelset can fit these dumb road bikes they've been releasing lately (Surly Midnight Special, Gorilla Monsoon, Crust Evasion) with a simple end cap change. I have no current plans to buy any of these new bikes though.

Buy what suits you. Forget the standard.