Bull horns or not?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2007

Bull horns or not?

Hey everyone,

I have been coming to this forum for a few years now, but have never posted. I was just wondering what everyone's preference is when it comes to bull horn handlebars? I personally have them on my bike, but I am contemplating taking them off. They only seem to come in handy when climbing a large hill. Just curious as to what everyone else thinks. Thanks.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I guess they went "out of fashion" as barends did... biut if you like them and provide additional hand positions... there is no need to change... I did siwtch from flat+barends to risers a couple years ago...and I think I like risers way better now..

bang
    well, i liked them when i had my huffy sledgehammer! the extra hand positions made riding (or accomodating someone riding on the handlebars) more confortable. these days, i'd be afraid of hooking them onto a small tree or bush as i ride somewhat tight singletrack.

Feb 2007
    They do make riding a little more comfortable in the fact that you can place your hands in different positions, so thats why I tend to like them. Thanks for the replies guys.

Bend, OR
    what are bull horn handlebars?

less is more
    I still like bar ends regardless of what is "in" simply because I like a variety of positions even when riding flat ground.
    Finesse is everything.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Bull horn handelbars are pretty common with the hardcore single speed crowd. They were used years ago by them, and are concidered to many to be the bar of choice still. Do as you feel and what works best for you. Dont change bars because the ones you are using arent concidered to be "in" anymore.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by venus1
    I still like bar ends regardless of what is "in" simply because I like a variety of positions even when riding flat ground.
    Amen!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Weger
    Hey everyone,

I have been coming to this forum for a few years now, but have never posted. I was just wondering what everyone's preference is when it comes to bull horn handlebars? I personally have them on my bike, but I am contemplating taking them off. They only seem to come in handy when climbing a large hill. Just curious as to what everyone else thinks. Thanks.
    Back in '95 my Scott Comp came with AT-2s and up until last year bullhorn handlebars were alls i used. I've had carbon Klein Stratums, AT-2LFs, and Zoom Brahamas. Last year i built a light trail bike and decided to give carbon riser bars and 31.8 a try.

Nov 2006
    I have bar ends on my bike since it doubles as my road bike with a tire swap. I even have <gasp> grip tape on the bar ends. When I'm riding long rides, I like to be able to change my hand positions. They're also good even for steep street hills.

After looking at cyclocross bikes and deciding to stick with a mountain bike adapted for a road bias... creating a frankenbike in the process... I've concluded that there really isn't a single category a cyclist absolutely has to pin themselves, their bike, and their purchases into. There's simply each individual biker and their bike(s) adapted for their own enjoyed riding styles.

Glad to Be Alive
    hey if you like them for long hills then who cares about anyone else thinks....Personally I would keep them on if I liked them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    hey if you like them for long hills then who cares about anyone else thinks....Personally I would keep them on if I liked them
    Exactly my opinion Shiver look above.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Exactly my opinion Shiver look above.

i am just reinventing the wheel....saying it different but the same.......I thought nobody would notice......plagerism at it's finest
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    i am just reinventing the wheel....saying it different but the same.......I thought nobody would notice......plagerism at it's finest
    Yeah I can see you have the whole lineup on all of the boards right now. Looks like we are the only ones up.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Bullhorn bars are a road (time trial) bar (pic 1)
    https://images.google.com/imgres?img...icial%26sa%3DG

Then there's the vintage bull moose bars (pic 2)
    https://www.firstflightbikes.com/vintage.htm

I've never seen either bar on a singlespeed, but I've seen plenty of swept bars such as Jones and Black Sheep (pics 3 and 4)

I think the OP is referring to bar ends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0