Building Trek Remedy Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Building Trek Remedy Question

I am getting a trek (remedy 9.8) directly from trek. Wanted to know if I need any special tools outside of torque wrench? Assumed it will likely need the fork, handlebars, rims, tires put on. Will I likely need to run cabling for seatpost or drivetrain and therefore need a magnet system to push it through? Anything else I might need? I have most standard tools, grease, etc from working on my 08 26” stumpy.

Thanks in advance!

jcd's best friend
    Headset press and bottom bracket press (if not threaded). Some headset presses can be used for the bottom bracket too. I tried the magnet system and it didn't work for me. I do all of my internal routing by hand. Believe me, it's way easier to route cables when no parts are installed on the bike, especially the crank! Do you have some type of device to do an even cut on the fork steerer tube? I use one of those $15 pipe cutters from Home Depot and I've never messed up a fork with it. Don't forget some sand paper and a bastard file!

Also, pick up a star nut installation tool too! That makes your life so much easier! FSA makes one!

Do you also have a crown race tool to install the lower bearing race on the fork? That also comes in handy unless you want to do the $5 Home Depot trick with PVC piping (which is what I did).
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

mtbr member
    In my experience, a new frame from the factory normally will have guide tubing or strings strung through the frame to guide the installation of cables and hoses as necessary. Of course that's no guaranty that yours will. I've use the Park tool internal routing kit successfully many times, but I've also done without it many times as well.

As you mentioned, you'll need to cut shift and dropper housing and cables, and cut and install brake hoses, including bleeding the brakes.
    Do the math.