Building new bike thoughts on Sram vs. Shimano- Mtbr.com
    Tripolar on most days

Building new bike thoughts on Sram vs. Shimano

I have always used Shimano in the past but I really don't like some of the changes they have made in the last few years. What do you guys think. I'm talking XTR and X.0 kind of stuff.
    Thanks

Derailleurless

One word: ROHLOFF SPEEDHUB

Huh? That was two? Ok, sorry...

6x7=Dont Panic!

Sram

I personally use shimano right now, but that is because I dont really care that much since I rarely shift at all, and that is what came with my bike. On my old bike I was running a 9.0 sl esp rear with the matching shifters. That was a very nice combo. I liked it better than what ive got now (as of its responce). I am sure X.0 is even better. Its also lighter I believe. Unless you have a real problem with the gripshifters I would go with SRAM. You could get the sram triggers, but I dont know jack about those and how they perform.
    Herro prease

Jan 2004
    Resistance is futile, must go shimano

[paste title here]
    Id say go with the New Sram stuff. My bike has LX shifters and a XT r.der on it right now. After those wear out (or break), Im planning to go with the Sram X-9 stuff. Seems like everyone likes the crisp-ness of the Sram der and it has great reviews. Im gonna go ahead and try them out. Plus With shimano monopolizing every bike component, it seems that you have to get all shimano stuff just to use a shimano rear der (new one) and you have to use their brakes, which require their specail hub to work, and so on. You cant mix and match like the old ones. Well good luck on your decision

-mtnbikerdude87
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

SRAM sram SRAM sram SRAM sram SRAM sram

I have always been a SRAM fan. Their new X.0 shifter is the best shifter I have ever used. Slays the XTR, and is night and day better than the old 9.0 stuff. I have sampled the x.9 shifters and they rock, but I really like the gripshift so thats what I'm sticking with.
    Go with SRAM.
    They have amazing warranty, innovative products, they're not Shimano and they offer components that are compatable with other manufacturers.

My $0.02
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member
    ive used both on my tracer. i had xtr for the last 1.5 years and i thought it was very good but a little finiky to keep dialed in all of the time. at xmas time i got the full sram xo setup with the gripshift and i really like it. no adjustments yet in winter conditions. i think it all really comes down to the preference of the shifter. they more or less shift the same.

Dec 2003
    I'm going XO shifter/derailleur on my next bike. The simpler design being rebuildable, lighter, and capable of trimming the front derailleur position makes it very appealing I think. The rear derailleur being simple too, with no B tension screw and replaceble parts is nice. I save the best thing about them for last, they really shift crisp and positve, even in muck, with very little effort required now that they have the SRS springs.

Trail rider and racer

... and if we just ... Sram Sram Sram!!!

You've had Shimano before so why not try something different. They say variety is the spice of life.

With my new bike, I decided to do it all different, and I tell you I am happy I went with Sram! Its totally cool! I used XO all the way and it shifts so crisp and is so tuneable, and even better is the handy trim feature of the front mech shifter!!!!

I love it heaps!

I would use any SRAM again if I had to build another bike!

IJR
    I Just Ride

I've got both

XTR on my bullit, XO on my SLX.

As far as rear drlr shifting, I would give a slight advantage to XO. To me the XO is also a lot easier to set up and tune.

I'm using a XT front drlr on both bikes but being able to trim the drlr with the XO shifter is a pretty big deal to me.

Try a friends bike with grip shift before you make your decision. Some of my friends tried it and couldn't stand it.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoastrider
    I have always used Shimano in the past but I really don't like some of the changes they have made in the last few years. What do you guys think. I'm talking XTR and X.0 kind of stuff.
    Thanks
    I've always been a shimano user, but I recently switched one of my bikes over to the new X.9 stuff. I did this for several reasons: It is cheaper than shimano's new stuff to first buy and for replacing things if they break, it shifts much better, it gives me the options of what brakes I want and If I want to use a single front ring. All around, Sram is much better in my opinion. Oh, and it looks pretty cool too! My only complaint with the setup is that accidental shifts are much easier. It is very easy for my thumb curled under the bar to hit the thumb pad and shift to a smaller chainring (never happens with my right hand for some reason). The only thing I am keeping Shimano is my cassette. IMO they shift better than Srams. Lighter too.

I hope you find a setup you like.

Rollin' a fatty

Try something different, go with SRAM

I currently use Shimano because couldn't affort to but everything new when I was assembling my bike. I've tried the grip shifters and personally didn't liked them but after a while you get used to them and they're really good.

If you like thumb shifters give the X.9 a try with a X.0 rear and XT or XTR from mech. It's a shame that SRAM stopped making front mechs, they were really good and light. Also SRAM is a lot less expensive than their Shimano counterparts and if you're like me (limited cycling budget) the cost makes a lot of difference.

We get titles?

crazy expensive. go 9.0

Quote Originally Posted by _-^^^-_
    I'm going XO shifter/derailleur on my next bike. The simpler design being rebuildable, lighter, and capable of trimming the front derailleur position makes it very appealing I think. The rear derailleur being simple too, with no B tension screw and replaceble parts is nice. I save the best thing about them for last, they really shift crisp and positve, even in muck, with very little effort required now that they have the SRS springs.
    XO is crazy expensive. go 9.0 - unless you like to blow money. Hey, its your money, blow it if you like bling bling or whatever that XO stuff is.

We get titles?

SRAM if you like twisters...

I've built every bike I've had with SRAM twist shifters. 9.0 is fine, anybody going for this XO stuff has too much money, $140 for a derailleur is foolish.

I haven't tried the SRAM triggers. I can't imagine them working better than the Shimano RF system, but who knows? If I wasn't using gripshifters, I'd proably have all shimano (except maybe the chain).

So I'd recommend the SRAM 9.0 shifters and Rear Der. For a cassette, I'd use whichever you can get in your favorite ratio for the cheapest, XT or 9.0. Front derailleur, you pretty much have to go SHimano, unless you can find a SRAM on EBAY (I have a 9.0 on one of my bikes, works great), so just grab an LX FD. Chain, I say you can't go wrong with a PC 59, but I've also had great results with a KMC Z9thousandsomething. Crankset? Shimano LX or XT is by far the best bang for buck if you get it on sale (performance). What's left?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upNdown
    I've built every bike I've had with SRAM twist shifters. 9.0 is fine, anybody going for this XO stuff has too much money, $140 for a derailleur is foolish...
    X9 might be a good option. Less expensive than XO but has many of it's improvements. I've used 9.0 since they've first come out, and they've been great (2 different rear derailleurs). I recently replaced one with an X9. An awesome product has become even better. Hard to believe but the shifts are even more crisp. The alloy body should be even more reliable than the 9.0 composite's body - although IMO, reliability is hardly an issue with this manufacturer.

sh*t disturber

Cool-blue Rhythm Go SRAM

Thanks
    I hear ya. I've been a big fan of XTR for many years, until they brought in all the changes over the past few years. Blecch. I'm going X0 next time. My wife has it on her Fuel and it's tres sweet. Very precise and crisp shifting. Pretty pricey, but well worth it of you ask me. I currently use older XTR on 2 of 3 of my bikes (one 8 speed and one 9 speed) and I love it. I like to be able to choose my own brake levers and those new shifters just don't feel right. Test drove a bike with the new XTR shifters and just not for me. I hate the "Total Integration" concept!

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Sram

Thanks
    As things break, I've been replacing them with SRAM. I'm still a big grip shift fan, and plan to replace my Shimano parts with SRAM as they break. You can do well with SRAM shifter and Shimano derailleurs. But under NO sircumstance, use Shimano chains; the WILL break when you least expect it.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

the original
    Jan 2004

yet another vote for sram.....

So the recurrent theme seems to be "go SRAM". I would have to agree, but I'm also a little biased and I don't like triggers, so all my rides have gripshift. I definatly STRONGLY dislike rapid rise rear mechs, from both the the mechanic and rider end of things. They are more finiky to set up, and just dont seem to shift as well as "normal" xt and xtr. I also cant stand the new xtr shifters. My next thought, I personally believe that unless you are a pro level racer, a total weight weenie, or have unlimited disposal income XTR and XO level parts are overkill. having both wrenched and riden many high end bikes over the last several years I have found that XT works just as well as xtr (the one exception being cranks). I currently have bikes with identical drivetrains except rear D(sram rocket shifters, shim cassettes, sram chains on both, one xt, one xtr) and there is NO difference in rear performance at all. I can't compare XO to X9 yet as I havent ridden an X9 bike but the xo bikes I have ridden are amazing. I personally prefer SRAM and will start to switch my 2 shimano rear d bikes over when stuff breaks. To date the longest lasting, best performing rear derailler I have ever used is a SRAM plasma that has been on the hardtail since '98 and shifts as well as the day it came out of the box.
    good luck

Wannabe Endurance Racer
    I just completed a Heckler build. I used XO shifters and rear derail. The front derail is a Shimano XT. SRAM chain, SRAM Cassette (X7 because X9 reviews said it broke easily). Having ridden with a complete XT drivetrain on my last bike, I am thoroughly impressed with the SRAM components. I was concerned about the grip shift and how I would like/adapt to it. It is amazing! Incredibly crisp, immediate shifts and smooth as can be. I cannot speak to the functionality of X.9, but XO is great.
    "The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi

mtbr member
    Prefer XTR myself. Much easier to brake and shift concurrently. I can't imagine having to miss that. Both manufacturers have very nice stuff however.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by divve
    Prefer XTR myself. Much easier to brake and shift concurrently. I can't imagine having to miss that. Both manufacturers have very nice stuff however.
    That was one thing I feared the most with going to SRAM, that I would not be able to do the regular shift and brake at the same time, but you can, it just takes some adjustment in technique. It may mean taking your finger off the lever for a ever so slight moment, but thus far I have never had issues regarding this.

Agreed on both having nice stuff. Give me a bike with XO and I am happy, give me a bike of XTR and I'm still smiling!

Trevor!

Jan 2004
    I agree, however, if you have big hands and/or are running disks brakes (less force required to brake), I find that you can shift/brake so long as you use your middle/middle and fourth finger(s) to brake, leaving that opposing thumb and index to shift. Granted you can't throw too many gears this way, but you can get a few on the downshift without too much trouble.

I also like the fact that I can place my palms right on the shifters while cruising or climbing, makes for an nice easy grip in the bars.

Never had a problem with 'accidental' shifting even while hanging on in the roughest of stuff.

Have been using grip shift for 7 years now, never going back to trigger/thumb shifters....