building new bike...need some tips?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2003

building new bike...need some tips?

Im building up a TRACER

I will have the shop do the fork and headset...cuz i dont have the tools and I feel it should be professionally done.

Ive never built a bike before but I have the tools and a friend with knowledge?

What are some good tips?

What order after the fork should I put the parts on .

I was thinking bottom bracket and chaing rings....

I just want everything to go smoothly and safely...

Thanks

Jan 2004
    I put on the BB after I've got both wheels on since I don't have a stand and that's the easiest way to get torque on it. But it really doesn't matter. Just take your time and have fun with it.

Luddite technophile
    Yeah - I think headset first (and stem to hold fork on then bars), BB second. After that I go for deraillers, then brakes , then cables.

One very important point -- don't crossthread the bottom bracket! Take your time here and make sure you get it threaded correctly.

Combat Wombat
    Definately heed the advise about being careful with the bottom bracket. Very fine threads and real easy to crossthread. A couple other little things, have the shop leave plenty of the steerer tube on your fork. Sitting on the bike in your garage is not going to tell you how it feels out on the trail. You can swap spacers around from the top and bottom of the stem between rides to get that perfect position. You can always have the excess cut off once you got it dialed in.
    The last bike I built was also the first time I used riserbars. Having always used narrow straight bars, I almost just cut them to 24 inches without actually trying them as is. However with ODI lockon grips, I was able to experiment with different positions. I discovered that I actually liked the feel of the bars being much wider than I expected.

Brian

Jun 2003

Here are a couple of VERY important tips.

1. No rushing. Do not expect to go on a 40 mile epic ride in 3 hours.
    2. Settle in with some nice, groovy music. nothing that is going to make you pick up the pace sub-conciously.(sp?)
    3. Take your time. I know I am repeating myself, but I am doing it for a good reason. Trust me.
    4. Keep the distractions down.
    5. Have fun.

Later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Cut the steering tube too long

put the shim stack on top if you have to, settle on a height you like and trim later. Much better than discovering later you need more shims so that the brake levers clear the top tube better or you want more height in your handlebars or the probably worst feeling of all, cutting the steering tube too short.

Fragile - must be Italian

Just built my first bike too...

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    I will have the shop do the fork and headset...cuz i dont have the tools and I feel it should be professionally done.

What are some good tips?

Thanks
    I just built up an '03 Giant NRS myself. It was my first bike build. And here is what I ended up doing:

1) Went to a bike shop to get the headset mounted. You need a press to do this right. Some people claim you can make a homemade press, but I thought I would risk damaging the frame. I highly recommend you do the same.

2) Went to a bike shop to get the bottom bracket mounted. Depending on what brand you buy, you will need a specific wrench. And there isn't 1 "standard" bottom bracket wrench - 1 fits RaceFace, 1 fits Truvativ, 1 fits certain Shimano, 1 fits other Shimano, etc. The bike shop also has the proper torque specifications and a good torque wrench. I highly recommend you do the same thing as screwing up the BB can mean you screw up the frame.

3) I assembled the rest of the bike myself: fork, disc brakes, cranks, etc. I highly suggest a good bike stand - it helps! Here is the order I assembled the items:

a) Crankset - make sure you use plenty of grease on the ISIS splines and torque them to the proper spec
    b) Front and rear derailleur
    c) Front fork / stem / handlebars
    d) Disc brakes (on frame and forks)
    e) Wheels
    f) Seat / post
    g) Chain
    h) Pedals

4) Take your time and ask questions if you are unsure of anything

5) Don't expect the build to be perfect. Take the bike on a few "trial" runs before you take it on a long ride and make sure you bring plenty of tools. Some things may need adjustment.

Good luck! It is a great learning experience.

jrm
    mtbr member

What i do is

Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr
    Im building up a TRACER

What are some good tips?

Thanks
    Is have the LBS set the star flange and headset. Then i go home and hang all the parts. use grease on everything thats threaded into a hole. Then once everythings hung properly i have the lbs run the housings and cables. Overall it costs me around $50. its done right the first to boot.