mtbr member
    Dec 2016

build up a new hardtail with some spare stuff

wanting to build up a hardtail out of some stuff i have laying around. ive got a boost 29er set of wheels, and a boost 120 fork.

looking of ran aluminum or steel frame, with threadded bb, boost, 120mm travel,

looking at Sc Chameleon, Salsa Timberjack, and steel kona honzo, leaning towards the Chameleon becasue competitive cyclist can spec it with the things i dont have.

is there any other frames im overlooking??

jcd's best friend
    I built my hardtail up over the summer. I bought an Octane One Prone 29 from Chain Reaction Cycles. They also sell Nukeproof Scout frames too. Thought I throw a couple other frame ideas your way
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    the nukeproof is out of sstock, and i think both are too slack. but good ideas

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbnel5on View Post
    wanting to build up a hardtail out of some stuff i have laying around. ive got a boost 29er set of wheels, and a boost 120 fork.

looking at Sc Chameleon, Salsa Timberjack, and steel kona honzo, leaning towards the Chameleon becasue competitive cyclist can spec it with the things i dont have.

There are a couple of Chinese carbon fiber frames for under $400 (hardtail; full-suspension ones are more but not too much more). Look for Savadeck and Beiou carbon frames, and they are the real deal, not some Ali Express ripoff. They come in all three tire sizes. Yes, even a trail-geometry tapered head tube 26". If I ever buy another 26" it would probably be from these frame/bike makers. Get these frames while you can before the tariffs start really kicking in. I dunno if they are boosted, but one of the Savadeck bikes is a + bike with an 11-speed so you could look into that frame and axle width.
    "A $1700 bike is not fit to be hucked from a curb"
    MTB B'Dos

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbnel5on View Post

I'm in the process of building a steel Honzo. Here it is stock the day I bought it. Pretty much everything is being swapped out...

build up a new hardtail with some spare stuff-fullsizeoutput_6f.jpg

Honzos and pretty much anything Chromag seem to be the hardtail of choice in my neck of the woods, with Ti Surfaces being the holy grail.

Travis Bickle is rocking a Pipedream Moxie. He loves it and rides it everywhere. Fast.

So Chromags and the Moxie are what I might add to your list of possibilities.

the discerning hooligan
    If your pockets are deeper, the Gorilla Gravity is the bike I would want. The Honzo and the Nimble9 would both make my list.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

One ring to mash them all
    Canfield Nimble 9 (although the bros' website is only showing XLs in stock). Also, Surly Karate Monkey.
    All Li es Matter

mtbr member
    https://prophecy.bike/ worth a look.

there are a bazillion options for you, actually. you need to be specific about budget to narrow it down. I could recommend a lot of rad US-made options with price tags that make my head spin, but the quality is there. a Timberjack would probably be your cheapest option.

there are some European options that can be cheap if you can get around shipping and VAT.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    If your pockets are deeper, the Guerrilla Gravity is the bike I would want.
    Found a used Pedalhead frame recently for my hardtail build. I don't have any spare parts, though, so it's going to take some time and money to finish the build. It'll take a 120-140mm fork, though it seems most prefer it with 130mm. I'm building it with a 140.

0920181240~2 by Nate, on Flickr

All the bikes mentioned in this thread are awesome bikes, though. I investigated a number of them before choosing the Pedalhead. It was mostly small details that pushed a bike lower on my list, than anything major.