broken frames? What happens to them?- Mtbr.com
    shining bright

broken frames? What happens to them?

I have been kicking around the idea of switching to a full suspension 29er from my hardtail 29er. Something I have always wondered about is what happens to the frames that people break? I'm talking about aluminum or other metal type ones. I don't have the resources to fix carbon, but I am able to weld just about anything. I thought the possibility of finding a frame that had been cracked or broken might be an option, if I were able to repair it.

Problem is, I don't know what people do with their broken frames. Do you toss them or send them in to the manufacturer to be replaced??

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by cncwhiz View Post
    I have been kicking around the idea of switching to a full suspension 29er from my hardtail 29er. Something I have always wondered about is what happens to the frames that people break? I'm talking about aluminum or other metal type ones. I don't have the resources to fix carbon, but I am able to weld just about anything. I thought the possibility of finding a frame that had been cracked or broken might be an option, if I were able to repair it.

Problem is, I don't know what people do with their broken frames. Do you toss them or send them in to the manufacturer to be replaced??
    If the frame is under warranty the manufacturer takes it and you get a new frame. They scrap it. If it is not under warranty the owner either has it welded or he scraps it. No manufacturer will repair it for liability purposes. They always do a replacement with a new frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    A hipster, somewhere, is probably drinking PBR from the recycled Al from my last broken frame.

biker, biker, and biker
    subscribed, I'd like to see some broken aluminum frames in this thread as well!
    I'm not saying stupidity is a crime, but why not take the safety label off everything and let the problem solve itself?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    even the best that money can buy frames bust seen a few utube videos , its how hard u abuse the bike, reaching the components limits.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Even Pacific and NEXT frames? No way dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    A hipster, somewhere, is probably drinking PBR from the recycled Al from my last broken frame.
    im stealing this hilarious reply.

My iron horse frame(s) have probably made a few hundred cans.

mtbr member
    I scrap junk frames (that aren't worth using or selling) even if they are not broken...think I've got 6 or 7 aluminum frames out back

SS Pusher Man
    Depends on how broken they are.

Just cracked, they seem to end up on EBay, CL or other classifieds without any disclosure of the crack.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

Members who have read this thread: 0