Booby traps on trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Booby traps on trails

Not related specifically to mountain biking, strictly speaking, but still relevant since it impacts trail users in general... Just came across this:

Dangerous booby traps found on popular Utah trail

From the few photos in the piece, it's not clear if the "traps" are anything more than some sorry attempts (though the text certainly treats them as if they were). Even if they're clumsy, any such thing could cause some serious harm if you're hit by or fall on something like that at an unlucky angle.

Not having any more insight into the background of the story other than this article, my take on it is that "some sickos like this are always bound to be out there somewhere, yet one hopes that there aren't too many of them!"
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That is crazy... and scary!

mtbr member
    A lot of walkers like to obstruct the trail i enjoy riding. They will put logs across the downhill sections. The problem that i see is experienced riders will just bunnyhop the logs in the trail, while younger or less experienced riders will hit the logs and wreck.
    Where i grew up, we would ride motorcycles and hikers would do the same, although it was very dangerous because of the higher speeds and the inability to bunnyhop. A friend of mine's uncle died because he hit an (human made) obstruction on the trail.

Watch out, there are some crazies out there

mtbr member
    are we legally allowed to bludgeon to death anyone caught in the act of setting traps?

ive heard of people running fishing line at neck level across the path. anyone caught doing that deserves an attempted murder charge.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ride off-road motorcycles and this is a problem for many of us that use trails. I'm a member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition that helps preserve public lands for the public by keeping trails open.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    People who set booby traps should
    be locked up for a long time.

Best, John

Ride Instigator
    NOT COOL!

Hazardous to your health!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    are we legally allowed to bludgeon to death anyone caught in the act of setting traps?

ive heard of people running fishing line at neck level across the path. anyone caught doing that deserves an attempted murder charge.
    X2! what the **** is this ****? seriously, jackasses really should leave our trails alone, id be PRETTY ****ing pissed to fall down because some jackass put a line across the ****ing trail.
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Members who have read this thread: 1