Poll: Should blue tooth speakers be used out on the trails?

This poll will close on 05-26-2019 at 03:35 PM

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Bluetooth Speakers: In favor of or not to be used on the trails?

Loud obnoxious sounds in the wilds. Take the poll please.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Flappity flappity flap
    Could you add:

"No, I ride with an eighties boombox blasting Run DMC on my shoulder."

My

Ah

Didas

Bikesexual
    Not!

Will officially vote later.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Are people really strapping speakers to their mtbs? I was out today, ran into 50 or 60 other folks riding singletrack, but encountered no such jackasses.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

slow
    Not only "no" to speakers on the trail, but also "no" to having two earbuds in on the trail.

Bluetooth Speakers: In favor of or not to be used on the trails?-0427162001.jpg

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have no problem if you ride with blue tooth speakers as long as they are the suppository type.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    Are people really strapping speakers to their mtbs? I was out today, ran into 50 or 60 other folks riding singletrack, but encountered no such jackasses.
    Oh yeah, theyre out there... unfortunately! #smh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bicycles aren't motorized
    No option for nuke them with an EMP burst.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I have no problem if you ride with blue tooth speakers as long as they are the suppository type.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Travis Bickle again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Travis Bickle again.
    That's okay I got him for you. I couldn't agree any more.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Whats the bass response like on those?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkman999 View Post
    Whats the bass response like on those?
    Great all the way down to the brown note.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Great all the way down to the brown note.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Not only "no" to speakers on the trail, but also "no" to having two earbuds in on the trail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0427162001.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	1200127
    That's a GREAT sign!! I'm going to introduce that to our City trails Supervisor. We need it badly. I have had 3 or 4 very recent issues where I have had to absolutely scream at the user as they stood in the middle of singletrack, completely blocking my path while looking in the opposite direction while they fiddled with their device. On 2 of those occasions, it was nearly funny but sad as hell, as the person was adjusting volume or songs, or whatever and were looking at their device like something was seriously wrong with it until they turned and startled and realized what they were hearing was me screaming my f'ing lungs out at them from 3 feet away to get their attention. What stupid f'ks they are to completely block out their surroundings. Sit at home in front of a f'ing photo of the outdoors with the music blasting if that's your thing. Stay away from nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    That's a GREAT sign!! I'm going to introduce that to our City trails Supervisor. We need it badly. I have had 3 or 4 very recent issues where I have had to absolutely scream at the user as they stood in the middle of singletrack, completely blocking my path while looking in the opposite direction while they fiddled with their device. On 2 of those occasions, it was nearly funny but sad as hell, as the person was adjusting volume or songs, or whatever and were looking at their device like something was seriously wrong with it until they turned and startled and realized what they were hearing was me screaming my f'ing lungs out at them from 3 feet away to get their attention. What stupid f'ks they are to completely block out their surroundings. Sit at home in front of a f'ing photo of the outdoors with the music blasting if that's your thing. Stay away from nature.
    The very reason i started this thread. Clueless bastids! I dont want to hear your loud music and I dont want to have to deal with trail users clueless of their surroundings due to earbuds.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Formerly of Kent

Ironically, I passed not only a two headphone user but a guy with a BT speaker today.

Both pushing their bikes up Towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Well....one of the choices was "crappy music".
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    I've only witnessed casual hikers and disc golf players with blue tooth speakers. Also cigarettes. Nothing better than some second hand smoking and trashy music while I'm out riding in nature.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I've only witnessed casual hikers and disc golf players with blue tooth speakers. Also cigarettes. Nothing better than some second hand smoking and trashy music while I'm out riding in nature.
    A couple of months ago, at the bottom of a downhill, a group of riders was smoking, I had to go through the smoke cloud. Couldn't believe it, and Im an X smoker.

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    I prefer the sound of a chain line and a free hub..... no music needed

mtbr member
    Bumped into one group & one fella had BTS blaring Acka-Dacka!! o_0

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've been on group rides twice when the same person strapped a speaker on his pack and played it throughout the day. It was very annoying. He didnt ask anyone if it was ok to bring it.

The problems are obvious. Most people go to the woods for tranquility, even on group rides; and not everyone has the same music tastes.

Near the end of each ride I came very close to tearing it off the pack and hurling into the woods.

Dirt Bound
    The Wednesday night ride I usually go on has two folks who bring them along. They're neither loud nor obnoxious, to me anyway. They don't play music I would play, but I don't mind it and if they're riding at the front, you can't hear the music from the back of the ride. If I'm out on a ride and I hear music (even if I don't like it) in passing, it just doesn't phase me. I hear it all the time in the city cause I don't use AC. Conversely, I play my music somewhat loud and as a result, everyone with their windows down can likely hear it.

I know some of us get out there so we escape the hustle and the bustle, but unless you walk naked into the woods, you are bringing some level of technology into the woods with you which won't jive with someone somewhere.

The trick in life is to make yourself happy (because no one but you will do it) while pissing off the least amount of people. The shit I see people do to each other on a daily basis is staggering. If music on the trail makes you so happy that it is worth your pissing off a half a dozen people a day, I can't argue with that.

To be honest, I detest earbud use more than just about anything. That, I think, comes from years of commuting. Even with one out, people seem to be completely unaware of their surroundings and not just on the trail.

If I want to connect with Nature, I go ride where no one else will be... ...or hit a tree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Re View Post
    The trick in life is to make yourself happy (because no one but you will do it) while pissing off the least amount of people. The shit I see people do to each other on a daily basis is staggering. If music on the trail makes you so happy that it is worth your pissing off a half a dozen people a day, I can't argue with that.
    If someone can't be happy without music on the trail then 1 earbud at a reasonable volume seems appropriate, why piss anyone off? They don't piss me off but I think speakers on a public trail are bs and thankfully most people are considerate enough to not use them there.
    I brake for stinkbugs

since 4/10/2009
    Yes. I did an endurance mtb race a few years back (Iceman Cometh) and some douche with a bluetooth speaker in a bag hanging from his top tube was yo-yoing at around my pace. I'd speed up to leave him behind, but 10min later, I'd redline and he'd be right there again. F*CK! I was very close to raging on him at one point and throwing the damn speaker into the woods. I spent hours listening to his crappy music that day. Race organizer prohibited earbuds, but said nothing about speakers.

I have also sporadically encountered it on the trails on random occasions. Showed up for a group ride not long ago where one of the regulars was playing one. Ugh. Haven't been back to that ride since.

SS Pusher Man
    People that blare their music from speakers/phones are basically saying "F*ck you, I'm going to myself into your space" to all the other trail users.

People like this have no respect for the other users around them. The world revolves only around them. It is such a pity.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It is annoying, but Id rather put up with it than smokers.

Like mtj says above, my experience in meeting these people on the trails is they come across as not talkative at best.

Id be much harsher in my comments here, but I am reminded of when my bes friend visited me, post-graduate school and each of us doing well in professional positions. I was driving us around and some BS blasting on the stereo that I thought he would like and after a few minutes he abruptly turned it off so we could hear each other and catch up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    My ride today was awesome....

Except: Way too many ebikes....and one of them...yep blaring his music and his engine!

To be fair his buddy that rode by me first, asked if I needed anything, which was nice. The radiohead, just flew by blaring his music and kind of a jerk.

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    I cannot believe how many hikers are blasting their music with buds and I can hear it. they cant hear my bell, cant hear me yelling, which means they cant hear the rattlesnake they are about to step on either.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    Altec Lansing Mini Lifejacket 3. It even comes with a bar mount.
    Mini LifeJacket 3 – Altec Lansing

mtbr member
    Don't care for them myself.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've encountered it riding and dont like it. But I'm not subjected to it long enough not to get over it. But I have encountered it while hiking and have to deal with it for much longer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Better than someone wearing headphones and not hearing you coming around a corner and you crash

mtbr member
    May 2011
    NO!

It's one of the most obnoxious and self centered things you can do in the wilderness.

Honestly, I can't wrap my head around why you would want to do it?

Hardtail Steel Forever
    The results of this poll have restored some of my faith in humanity...
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    I enjoy tunes whilst riding but keep it to myself.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator

That is a fantastic sign.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Voted no, but I don't want anyone using earbuds, either. Especially trail runners on multi-use trails. Pet peeve, and I've started getting their attention by just hitting them with a (itty bitty!)rock rather than screaming over and over when they can't hear me, anyway.
    I do get wanting music. I want it too, sometimes, but consideration for others overrules that. That's a foreign concept for a lot of people these days, though.
    Fortunately, I work night shift and have off days during the week, so have the trails practically to myself everywhere I ride. But since I still see this, I can only imagine that it must be a more common problem during "peak hours".

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yes. I did an endurance mtb race a few years back (Iceman Cometh) and some douche with a bluetooth speaker in a bag hanging from his top tube was yo-yoing at around my pace. I'd speed up to leave him behind, but 10min later, I'd redline and he'd be right there again. F*CK! I was very close to raging on him at one point and throwing the damn speaker into the woods. I spent hours listening to his crappy music that day. Race organizer prohibited earbuds, but said nothing about speakers.

I have also sporadically encountered it on the trails on random occasions. Showed up for a group ride not long ago where one of the regulars was playing one. Ugh. Haven't been back to that ride since.
    I think I may know that guy. He was so pissed when Iceman management banned earbuds of any kind. Was he on a SS?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    I think I may know that guy. He was so pissed when Iceman management banned earbuds of any kind. Was he on a SS?
    I don't think so. I heard multiple portable speakers but only one was going the same avg speed as me. This guy had it in a bag hanging from his top tube.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Re View Post
    The trick in life is to make yourself happy (because no one but you will do it) while pissing off the least amount of people.
    this is true.
    It would make me immensely happy to assault someone in the woods who is blaring music, and I don't see why his happiness should outweigh mine. Plus I feel that the harm to his body and his destroyed speaker would piss off fewer people than him and his speaker remaining unscathed.

And yet I don't do it. I suspect your trick to life is flawed.

what I don't understand is people that can't seem to go even a single second without listening to music. I see this every day; guy gets out of his car, puts headphones in, walks less than a block, takes them out, goes in building. Ok, not harming anyone, just strange psychology that 90 second walk is unbearable without listening to half a song on the way.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    No speakers, but also no earbuds for the clueless and unaware.

Also, please don't hang your hammock ACROSS the trail!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    No speakers, but also no earbuds for the clueless and unaware.

Also, please don't hang your hammock ACROSS the trail!
    I saw a youtube video a few weeks ago of a biker who was almost killed by someone who tied a cable across a downhill section of a bike trail. Some truly evil people out there. At least you could see a hammock...

Frostitude
    Dec 2006
    I ride with music, no boom box, but BT buds almost every time. I keep it low so I can hear my bike or if I run up on some stink eye throwing equestrian whos not wearing a helmet, horse is kicking huge holes in trail and shitting all over.
    Im not giving up my tunes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Ok, not harming anyone, just strange psychology that 90 second walk is unbearable without listening to half a song on the way.
    The answer to the problem is that more people need to start writing 90 second songs. The Minutemen were so ahead of their time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My commute takes me through a conservation area with some dirt roads/paths. I'm always saying hi and giving the bell a ding in advance as to not spook the dogs/owners or walkers. This guys in front of me has the ear buds cranked, I say hello, ring the bell, now 5 feet behind, full on shout, nothing. It's a narrow path, I roll up behind him and tap him on the shoulder, he jumps a mile, spooked. Yikes. I don't even own any earbuds. Don't people go out in nature to enjoy it? Wind through the trees etc. Anyone else bird by ear?

mtbr member
    I've got ear buds, a bluetooth speaker, ebike, and a drone that follows my every move. I just love geeting back to nature.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

bunjinjohn
    Dec 2004
    I had a similar situation as leeboh, but with a young woman blithely jogging with earbuds on a singletrack trail and not hearing my bell as I rode up from behind. I had to resort to yelling from right behind her. When that didn't work, I finally tapped her on the shoulder. She whirled around and started screaming about perverts and calling the cops, while fumbling for her phone. At that point, my wife, who was right behind me the whole time, leaned over so the girl could see that another woman was present, and told her that we had been trying to get her attention for a couple of minutes and that she should think twice about running alone with no situational awareness in an urban canyon, wearing the skimpiest of outfits, where we've seen some pretty creepy dudes over the years. That shut her up, we continued on our way and we haven't run into her since.

And speakers? It isn't just while riding. We had a guy do that for a trail work event, and the supervising ranger asked him to go work somewhere else because it interfered with our communication while swinging sharp tools. There was much rejoicing.

Here, diagonally!
    Playing music through a speaker on the trail is a DB move, IMO.

Earbuds I don't personally have a problem with, as long as it's not causing a safety issue, or a traffic problem on the trail. I don't mind a small delay - better that than a speaker.

mtbr member
    Are people really strapping speakers to their mtbs?
    Yeah, occasionally. Thankfully these idiots are a minority.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Are people really strapping speakers to their mtbs? ...
    Yes I have encountered this myself a couple of times. It is bad enough that we are forced to listen to the music but the music tempo has also been off. One would think listening to music while exercising or in this case riding would almost require a faster beat to keep you going but nope, these guys listen to some seriously off tempo stuff. When I used to run on the treadmill years ago, I downloaded this Podcast called Podrunner where you picked a song by beats per minute. It was awesome because when I was dialed in my feet would hit the belt in rhythm with the song making it easy to keep pace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    The answer to the problem is that more people need to start writing 90 second songs. The Minutemen were so ahead of their time.
    If give all bluetooth speaker users a pass provided it's playing Mike Watt.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    My commute takes me through a conservation area...I'm always saying hi and giving the bell a ding in advance...This guys in front of me has the ear buds cranked, I say hello, ring the bell, now 5 feet behind, full on shout, nothing...
    As in prior years, I will soon be leading the lead runner of a large local run on my bike, clearing people from the pathways as the runner approaches. I have used a Fox 40 whistle in the past (together with screaming), with reasonable success. For this year's race, I am going big...

Bluetooth Speakers: In favor of or not to be used on the trails?-fullsizeoutput_3f.jpg

I just bought this, but I am thinking it will be awesome as well for my daily commute. I accidentally activated it last evening inside. Holy crap. As one reviewer said, "it will knock a racoon out of a tree."

Should more than take care of the oblivious earbuded pathway dwellers...

(although thinking about it, this could actually be far worse than a BT speaker if not used very sparingly and only when absolutely necessary...I will have to give it a shot on the pathway and see - if it's ridiculously obnoxious, I may have to reserve it for the race only).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The "Stare at Your Phone Nature Trail"

https://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2018/05/24

Quote Originally Posted by Mars29 View Post
    The "Stare at Your Phone Nature Trail"

https://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2018/05/24
    Just a courtesy.
    Bluetooth Speakers: In favor of or not to be used on the trails?-f1002132-e8a2-495b-bf20-0271fd9b5f23.jpg

Bikesexual
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Bikesexual
    For those of you that use headphones, can you at least get a bell??

I just got back from a ride, I was going downhill on a pretty empty trail with a few hikers.

I make myself heard, I have a bell and I'm very vocal on blind corners. "Rider" or "bike" anything so people know I'm there!

Who doesn't realize another bike is coming? Mr. Earbud! Good thing it wasn't at a tight corner. Once he saw me, he removed one side and mumble something to me.

It would suck to crash with the only other bike on the trail.

So, its not a "purist" thing, its a safety and respect thing.

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Snow Dog
    with all of the banter about this in the past week here on the forum, I was wondering the same thing...how do you keep a speaker on the bike/yourself without losing it?

...and Iam still in the camp of: I would rather hear the speakers on the trails, than in camp. You can get away from it on the trails. In camp, you are stuck

and I don't listen to crappy music...except Primus. Primus sucks!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    As in prior years, I will soon be leading the lead runner of a large local run on my bike, clearing people from the pathways as the runner approaches. I have used a Fox 40 whistle in the past (together with screaming), with reasonable success. For this year's race, I am going big...

Name:	fullsizeoutput_3f.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	1201024

I just bought this, but I am thinking it will be awesome as well for my daily commute. I accidentally activated it last evening inside. Holy crap. As one reviewer said, "it will knock a racoon out of a tree."

Should more than take care of the oblivious earbuded pathway dwellers...

(although thinking about it, this could actually be far worse than a BT speaker if not used very sparingly and only when absolutely necessary...I will have to give it a shot on the pathway and see - if it's ridiculously obnoxious, I may have to reserve it for the race only).
    screw all of that...get a super soaker squirt gun....quiet; effective; and fun!!
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    Primus sucks!

Blasphemy
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Blasphemy
    oh no...ask anyone.... Mud; John The Fisherman; CG The Mexican; Todd Huth; Wynona;
    Those Damned Blue Collared Tweekers; Herb; Ler; even Les Claypool himself will tell you:

Primus Sucks
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    primus does indeed suck!

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    oh no...ask anyone.... Mud; John The Fisherman; CG The Mexican; Todd Huth; Wynona;
    Those Damned Blue Collared Tweekers; Herb; Ler; even Les Claypool himself will tell you:

Primus Sucks
    And don't forget Jerry. He was a race car driver. He'll tell you.
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Quote Originally Posted by rattler420 View Post
    primus does indeed suck!
    I kind of like their unique lyrics. Quite a twisted web of rhyming hilarious tidbits if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    For those of you that use headphones, can you at least get a bell??

I just got back from a ride, I was going downhill on a pretty empty trail with a few hikers.

I make myself heard, I have a bell and I'm very vocal on blind corners. "Rider" or "bike" anything so people know I'm there!

Who doesn't realize another bike is coming? Mr. Earbud! Good thing it wasn't at a tight corner. Once he saw me, he removed one side and mumble something to me.

It would suck to crash with the only other bike on the trail.

So, its not a "purist" thing, its a safety and respect thing.

I have come up behind the same hiker a number of times over the last 30 years or so. She wears a bright orange safety vest with the word "DEAF" in big letters, front and back. I, of course, assume it means she is deaf - never asked her about it. Every time I've seen her, she has been with another hiking buddy. I've never heard of any one having issues with her before, just friendly and curteous.

Maybe earbud wearers should also have to wear a neon safety vest emblazoned with "I"M TOO SELFISH TO CARE ABOUT OTHERS!"

Speakers, turned down low, are safer but still annoying.

I vote no to speakers and no to earbuds. People who claim their earbuds aren't distracting are like people who claim they can use a cell phone and drive. You probably can, until you hit someone...
    Is this where I write something witty?

Cycologist
    I was riding in a new place a few months ago. It is mixed used and there were a lot of people there. I had pretty much finished riding and was just riding a narrow, twisty trail back to my car when I came up behind a couple of old people hiking (and I'm 54 so I mean they were probably in their 60s). I called out a couple of times and the lady didn't move to the side at all, her husband was a bit in front of her. I then saw she was wearing headphones. I wasn't in a big hurry so I just pedaled behind her. We came to a tight twist in the trail and her husband saw me and yelled at his wife. "Huh?" she replied. He then pretty angrily yelled at her "GET OFF THE TRAIL! THERE'S A BIKE BEHIND YOU!". I was kind of embarrassed. But you'd think older people would know better. Actually, you'd like to think everyone would know better.

I do wear earbuds when I trail run. But I run a lot of "no bike" trails and the bike trails I run are directional for bikes and I run the opposite direction; most corners are not too blind and foot traffic has the right-of-way, though almost all runners/hikers will yield to the bikes.
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I don't think so. I heard multiple portable speakers but only one was going the same avg speed as me. This guy had it in a bag hanging from his top tube.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    LOL. I immediately thought of Iceman. I've raced it the last 5 years and there are multiple riders carrying speakers. (At Iceman) I don't mind the guys with the rock blasting as you pass through either a check point or the Fireball/PBR/bottle rocket tent, but to have someone pacing you with their own portable ($hitty) soundtrack sucks.

There's one rider at this one trail in this one city who is notorious for riding with speakers. I've avoided him, ignored him and just let him be. If he's riding clockwise, I'll ride counter clockwise. I met him a while back. Neither of us were riding bikes so he didn't have his speaker. He's actually a pretty cool guy. Still wont ride with anyone blasting tunes on a speaker though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Just a courtesy.

Name:	F1002132-E8A2-495B-BF20-0271FD9B5F23.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	1201031
    That cartoon is actually a real depiction whether intended or not. In Portland people seem to walk into oncoming trains on a fairly regular basis while staring at their phone or wearing earbuds. The first time I wondered to myself how the hell that could happen. Now I realize it's probably best to leave your sensory input for the purpose in which it evolved. Darwinism indeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    That cartoon is actually a real depiction whether intended or not. In Portland people seem to walk into oncoming trains on a fairly regular basis while staring at their phone or wearing earbuds. The first time I wondered to myself how the hell that could happen. Now I realize it's probably best to leave your sensory input for the purpose in which it evolved. Darwinism indeed.
    And on the roads, you have the vehicles coming at you that veer into your lane because most of the time they are on their phones. It's good to veer at them to put them in check Picard told me.

Still time to speak your mind and vote in the poll.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I think there is a plot here for the next zombie movie. Let's say that a mass psychosis occurs due to the number of hours people spend with their heads in their phones. And nobody notices, because they've got their heads in their phones....

Hardtail Steel Forever
    How about we all compromise. Bluetooth only allowed in wilderness areas on ebikes...

Upcyclist
    I can't believe you're making us wait a whole year before we find out the poll results!
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I think there is a plot here for the next zombie movie. Let's say that a mass psychosis occurs due to the number of hours people spend with their heads in their phones. And nobody notices, because they've got their heads in their phones....
    Unfortunately, you're close to the truth.

The machines already won. Skynet realized they couldn't simply kill all the humans, nor could they successfully send a Terminator back in time, so the machines made a new plan.
    They created an app which would lure humans to their death. They called it the "Lure humans to the death camp" app. It didn't sell very well, so they rebranded it.

The new app was called "Pokmon Go." Instead of luring humans to death camps, it lured humans to walk past special IQ reducers. Very soon, (in machine time) because of the stupid people cross breeding and older people dying from natural causes, the whole planet will be retarded. It's already started...
    Is this where I write something witty?

DFL
    I HATE when some bag of douche is riding around with a speaker blaring. I enjoy the sound of nature and the sounds the bike makes while I'm riding. I have ear buds, but only wear them when I am studying at Starbucks and have a presentation to listen to, or want to listen to some music to drown out the noise. My 15 year old son lives in his ear buds. I make him take them out at the dinner table and I don't let him ride with me wearing them. Even the school lets him wear them. It's ridiculous.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post

The machines already won. Skynet realized they couldn't simply kill all the humans, nor could they successfully send a Terminator back in time, so the machines made a new plan.
    They created an app which would lure humans to their death. They called it the "Lure humans to the death camp" app. It didn't sell very well, so they rebranded it.
    Machines are learning from the doo dah band?

While we're bashing inconsiderate trail users, let's not forget to bash the guy blasting out his eardrums in his car. If my car is vibrating because of your stereo, you're killing your eardrums. Do us all a favor and speed up the process with a sharp pencil so I can go back to hearing my music without your sub-woofer interference.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post

The machines already won....
    Yeah, the things that seem ridiculous today, may unfortunately come to pass...

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I can't believe you're making us wait a whole year before we find out the poll results!
    On the edge of your seat, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I've read the threads out here regarding bikers riding with portable speakers mounted or carried on their person, yet have never encountered this until yesterday on the trails.

Can I say that it is indeed annoying? Even if I agreed with the choice of music, I found it presumptuous and selfish to say the least.

The dude in question was blaring I Heart Radio or something with commercials on his bar-mounted speaker. Come on, now.

Word.

Id rather hear the commercials compared to some of todays crap music.

mtbr member
    Those inconsiderate Jack etc's are just like the inconsiderate boors riding harleys that you can hear two miles away with a radio blaring so they can hear it over the noise of their bike. Ever hear bird song? It's almost as great as singing coyotes.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Those inconsiderate Jack etc's are just like the inconsiderate boors riding harleys that you can hear two miles away with a radio blaring so they can hear it over the noise of their bike. Ever hear bird song? It's almost as great as singing coyotes.
    I love my birds. Goldfinches, bluebirds, buntings, mourning doves, hummingbirds, to name a few.

DFL
    Yeah, but do you know what it sounds like when doves cry?
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Not for me when doing any exercise or sport. Anyone else can do whatever they like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I live in Miami...every Hialeahan has on their $7500 cf bike that they can't ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I hate to say it as someone who plays disc golf every now and then but yeah there are way too many players that do this.

On the flip side, I have almost been hit by a bike when walking between holes at one of my local courses cause they had earbuds on and almost hit a biker with a disc when they decided to bike down the fairway that has a blind corner even though it clearly says no biking or hiking on the course.