Bike Storage: How and where do you do it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bike Storage: How and where do you do it?

Here is my simple, but yet effective storage solution. I have a single car garage (and three cars, go figure) so I have to make the most of my space. Just to be safe I put bump stops so I don't drive the car a wee bit to far in the garage and send a foot peg through my bumper.

mtbr member
    I a similar set up on the wall at that level, except the hanger thing is from home depot and doesn't have the little shelf on the top, which is nice.. I'm in a small place, so it in my bedroom wall.

Getting a 2nd bike soon , so put a J hook in the living room, so it will hang by the front wheel vertical to the wall, using up some dead space I have
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

Bro Mountainbiker
    Im moving next week to a small apartment. I have 7 bikes.

I just picked up some wheel hooks and a new stud finder at lowes today. Plan to hang them over my bed if I can find enough joists for 7 bikes in a row.

Or If that doesnt work, Im going to hang them on the wall vertically.. It will probably take up too much space but Its gonna have to work.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses View Post
    Here is my simple, but yet effective storage solution. I have a single car garage (and three cars, go figure) so I have to make the most of my space. Just to be safe I put bump stops so I don't drive the car a wee bit to far in the garage and send a foot peg through my bumper.

hey whats the red and black thingy in the mountain bike?

is it similar to bike adaptor that you use on some bike racks?

mtbr member
    I believe it's a rod to keep the front wheel from moving during transportation and he is cleverly using it to hang his bike as well. I might have done that had I seen this first. Still might someday. I don't like the idea of hanging from a seat post bc it is pulling it upward when it's is meant to stop pressure downward. His way is distributing weight nicely though.

http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-cor...ke-799697.html

That's how I did mine in my shed. If it's gets to a point in the winter where I wont ride at all I will probably move it to my basement.

Bicycle Addict
    4 bikes in my garage, all hang from the ceiling on hooks. Yes, I bump my head on them all the time.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by franz15 View Post
    hey whats the red and black thingy in the mountain bike?

is it similar to bike adaptor that you use on some bike racks?
    It's a carrier bar that allows bicycles with top and downtube configurations that make them awkward, difficult or impossible to place onto a bicycle carrier possible. It serves as a horizontal tube that when attached to the bike will allow for it to be placed and secured on a bicycle carrier. Widely used for women specific bicycle frames also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

I just picked up some wheel hooks and a new stud finder at lowes today. Plan to hang them over my bed if I can find enough joists for 7 bikes in a row.

Or If that doesnt work, Im going to hang them on the wall vertically.. It will probably take up too much space but Its gonna have to work.
    7 bikes?? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Moozh View Post
    It's a carrier bar that allows bicycles with top and downtube configurations that make them awkward, difficult or impossible to place onto a bicycle carrier possible. It serves as a horizontal tube that when attached to the bike will allow for it to be placed and secured on a bicycle carrier. Widely used for women specific bicycle frames also.
    Yes, that is correct. I've been meaning to post that. Thanks! I have a bike carrier designed for hard tails so I have to use that rod, against my liking. I think I'll pony up soon and buy a new bike carrier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    leans next to a wall, then again i have a target bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Fill entire garage with bikes (8 ), plus 1 for each of the girls , 3 more. Hang tires and frames from the ceiling, fill lots of boxes with parts and such. Put in lawnmower and snow blower in there too. Tell wife that the mini van is too long to fit in garage. ( sort of true). Make sure car is cleaned of snow before she goes to work every time. Problem solved. Last time I cleaned the garage, I found a bike. Nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mine just sits in the garage, over winter mine, the wife's and the kids' all go in the 2nd garage with the rest of the toys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

no bedroom fun if they hang over your bed? lol jk

i live in a tiny condo and im trying to find the best way to store my bike inside. those "j" hooks at hardware stores would be just fine? might have to store by bike in my dining room since i have no table there anyways. i just eat in the living room.

OP, any better pics of what your using to hold the bike up on the wall?

mtbr member
    I use a Saris T-bones in the basement (i.e. my bike rack, which came with a stand). I use it a lot more often as a stand than a rack (as local stuff I'll often just toss the bikes in the back of the truck).

Pic isn't mine. Had to move the bikes from the basement suite to leaning up in the laundry room as we have an inlaw staying in the suite for the next couple of weeks. Wife didn't think her sister would want to stare at our bikes. I don't see why not. They are nice looking bikes .

mtbr member
    Mine hang out in the garage. Leaning up against the wall, buckets, each other.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    how about some pictures of your bikes in storage guys? (should we start an unofficial bike picture storage thread?)

Here thinking of how to store bikes in my garage (if we get the house we place an offer on) and the $18 bike hoist from amazon is winning so far. Have 2 bikes, My Trek and My fiancee's Giant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggi_e View Post
    no bedroom fun if they hang over your bed? lol jk

i live in a tiny condo and im trying to find the best way to store my bike inside. those "j" hooks at hardware stores would be just fine? might have to store by bike in my dining room since i have no table there anyways. i just eat in the living room.

OP, any better pics of what your using to hold the bike up on the wall?
    Here is a side picture. It's just a cheapy I got from the local Trek store but it works good and you actually don't *need* to have it in a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by coykiam View Post
    how about some pictures of your bikes in storage guys? (should we start an unofficial bike picture storage thread?)

Here thinking of how to store bikes in my garage (if we get the house we place an offer on) and the $18 bike hoist from amazon is winning so far. Have 2 bikes, My Trek and My fiancee's Giant.
    Good idea! I'm also looking at a hoist idea to fee up some space in the garage.

mtbr member
    Something like the Knife and Saw Bike Shelf should be easy to DIY. I find it pretty funny though. The wife-factor for the shelf's appearance is high.. until you put a bike on it.

AZ
    banned
    Mine live in an out building with the exception of a couple in the house.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Moderator Moderator
    cheap, simple, works great.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack View Post
    cheap, simple, works great.....

Looks like it works great! Is that a KTM I see in the corner left of the photo?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    my living room lol...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike Storage:  How and where do you do it?-imag1571.jpg  

I Ride Bikes
    I've been thinking about bike storage too. I currently have 3 bikes just randomly placed around my garage. I really want to hang them somewhere. I just can't make up my mind yet. More photos of peeps' set-ups would be great.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    One car garage, has to store the yard/house/random stuff not in the basement or attic as well. We don't park in there, but I wanted to preserve the ability to get a car in if need be, with minimal hassle. Everything either stacks up/folds up/hangs up to get out of the way as needed.

There is now another bike squeezed in there, since these pics were taken. Work in progress, as I manage to get things hung higher and higher up to clear up more space lower down. Least used stuff goes up higher, and I've taken pains to make sure it's all fairly easy to get to when needed.

The drop-leaf bit on the workbench has since been lengthened, to give more table space when screwing around/drinking beer in there.

My commuter bike hangs about on the back deck, and the beach cruiser sits out, as it's the dog walking bike.

A small shed for the yard crap will happen someday, then I can really turn it into the shop I'd like. A bit more insulation in the exterior walls and celing area would be nice, and some upgraded/better electric and lighting.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses View Post
    Looks like it works great! Is that a KTM I see in the corner left of the photo?
    It is, my other love besides mountain biking.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    One car garage, has to store the yard/house/random stuff not in the basement or attic as well. We don't park in there, but I wanted to preserve the ability to get a car in if need be, with minimal hassle. Everything either stacks up/folds up/hangs up to get out of the way as needed.

There is now another bike squeezed in there, since these pics were taken. Work in progress, as I manage to get things hung higher and higher up to clear up more space lower down. Least used stuff goes up higher, and I've taken pains to make sure it's all fairly easy to get to when needed.

The drop-leaf bit on the workbench has since been lengthened, to give more table space when screwing around/drinking beer in there.

My commuter bike hangs about on the back deck, and the beach cruiser sits out, as it's the dog walking bike.

A small shed for the yard crap will happen someday, then I can really turn it into the shop I'd like. A bit more insulation in the exterior walls and celing area would be nice, and some upgraded/better electric and lighting.
    Thats alot of stuff in a small space, nice way to pack it all in there.

mtbr member
    It is, my other love besides mountain biking.

Very Nice! I had a pristine 2005 KTM 250 EXC but sold it and got the 2008 Honda CRF230F. It's not even in the same realm as far a "race" bike goes, but it is a damn fun trail bike. The KTM was just a little too tall for me and I got tired of muscling it around all the time. I did love it though!

mtbr member
    Since I have a small apartment and I try to ride a couple days a week my bike rarely leaves my car.

" width="549">

Thats alot of stuff in a small space, nice way to pack it all in there.

Thanks. I have a once in a while epiphany about moving things to maximize space even more, and shuffle things a bit. As said, a work in progress. Things change as I figure out more of what gets used more often then other things. The shelves on the left were there when we bought the place, and I see no reason to lose the space by ditching them. The work bench/shelf thing on the right I built in.

The drop leaf wasn't my idea, (the wife) but it's turned out to be perfect. Table space when need, out of the way when not.

The high and unfinished ceiling while cold in the winter, has been a great boon trying to cram everything in here. There is a lot hung up and stacked up unseen in the pics.

Currently:

The beach cruiser stays on the ground, as it gets used several times a day, walking the dog around our hood. Plus, it's ****ing heavy.

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks. I have a once in a while epiphany about moving things to maximize space even more, and shuffle things a bit. As said, a work in progress. Things change as I figure out more of what gets used more often then other things. The shelves on the left were there when we bought the place, and I see no reason to lose the space by ditching them. The work bench/shelf thing on the right I built in.

The drop leaf wasn't my idea, (the wife) but it's turned out to be perfect. Table space when need, out of the way when not.

The high and unfinished ceiling while cold in the winter, has been a great boon trying to cram everything in here. There is a lot hung up and stacked up unseen in the pics.

The beach cruiser stays on the ground, as it gets used several times a day, walking the dog around our hood. Plus, it's ****ing heavy.
    I hear you on the cold shop in the winter. I'm in Ontario Canada and it gets pretty cold in my insulation-less shop. A forced air propane heater works great though. A 20lbs tank lasts about 12 hours.

I hear you on the cold shop in the winter. I'm in Ontario Canada and it gets pretty cold in my insulation-less shop. A forced air propane heater works great though. A 20lbs tank lasts about 12 hours.
    I've got a decent little electric unit that keeps the place tolerable, though I still have to wear a hat, jacket, etc. The rubber floor mats help a ton as well. Also have a big chunk of old carpet that goes down on the back half of the floor where I'm working most in winter.

Insulating the place better is really my best option. The walls have some, and the outer door is thick/insulated, but all the heat just goes out the unfinished ceiling/roof. Just have to throw up some stuff there, and it'll likely make a big difference.

mtbr member
    I've got a decent little electric unit that keeps the place tolerable, though I still have to wear a hat, jacket, etc. The rubber floor mats help a ton as well. Also have a big chunk of old carpet that goes down on the back half of the floor where I'm working most in winter.

Insulating the place better is really my best option. The walls have some, and the outer door is thick/insulated, but all the heat just goes out the unfinished ceiling/roof. Just have to throw up some stuff there, and it'll likely make a big difference.
    Do it. Insulation is cheap.

My house was uninsulated (plaster and stucco house from the 50s). I swear Victoria/Vancouver are the only places in Canada that would ever happen (winters are mild enough it is quite livable without and the plaster has a lot more thermal mass than drywall).

Did the ceiling first (it did have r20, upped it to r60 with the atticat stuff). Noticeable difference right away (of course that also included air sealing the chimney and some other leak sources). Heat would actually be reflected off the sealing instead of being sucked out by it. Next we did the hollow walls (professionally) with expanding foam which had the benefit of air sealing the walls, so less drafty (we had it coming out the baseboards!). On a cold day (32F 0C.. it's Vic, that's a cold day), the temp inside the house would drop less than a degree F an hour after the changes. Prior it would drop at least 3 degrees F in an hour once you stop heating.

A huge thing is air sealing though. You could have an r80 ceiling and r60 walls but if you leave a door open what difference does that make? It's all going to go straight out that door.

mtbr member
    I keep my Trek 6000 in my closet, covered so my 3YR old & 1YR old don't go in there and start pulling on the derailleur or cables.

mtbr member
    Alright, so, I picked up an el cheapo Roadmaster Granite Peak hardtail from walmart for $88 to have as a spare green-way bike when people want to ride with me, but don't have a bike. Believe it or not, for an $88 bike and considering I could have gotten 27 of them for the price of my bike, it rides pretty good and should hold up to green-way rides a couple times a week. (When I can't get to the trail, I ride the green-way to get at least some cardio. The good part is there is a MTB skills park and about 3 miles of singletrack right off the greenway.) Anyway, I bought these BlueHawk pulley kits form Lowes to move my bikes closer to the ceiling to give me room for my dirtbike. Has anybody used these, and if so, how do you like them? Thanks!

cdouble
    Jul 2007
    Hanging from hooks in garage. But I think maybe a problem for hydraulic brakes. Bike shop told me to activate brake levers with rubber bands when I hang bike. My buddy didn't and his hydros now need to be bled.

That's just two examples, and not sure I understand if/how the rubber bands help, but there it is...

cdouble
    http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"Suffering has a luminous beauty, and cleanses the mind in much the same way a wildfire clears an overgrown forest."
    - Mike Ferrentino

"Art is suffering"
    - Squidward Tentacles
    cdouble

http://mo7s.blogspot.com

"It never gets easier, you just go faster"
    Greg LeMond

Quote Originally Posted by dubbreak View Post
    Do it. Insulation is cheap.

A huge thing is air sealing though. You could have an r80 ceiling and r60 walls but if you leave a door open what difference does that make? It's all going to go straight out that door.

totally. so far, i've just filled all the gaps/cracks/ here and there with foam stuff. that, and keeping the door shut in winter with my little heater going keep it tolerable. storm windows keep those from being too leaky as well.

the rest of the house is fairly well insulated, but the garage was added on later - they did the walls (thinly) but didn't do anything with the roof.

planning to do it sometime before the next winter rolls around... i'm thinking to add a bit to the walls while at at, but the ceiling is the big one. a nice thick and efficient layer there will make a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I switched it up a little and used the BlueHawk Pulley system from Lowes. SUPER cheap screws that strip easily but the rest of the units are pretty burly. And, they really help with the space. Here are the updated pictures.

mtbr member
    I have my bike leaning against the wall in my basement.

Members who have read this thread: 0