mtbr member
    May 2012

Bike for my Daughter

My daughter is going to be 9 soon, but is short for her age. She has outgrown her 16" kids bike and wants a new ride.

I took her to Dicks just so she could get a feel for different types of bicycles out there, and it seems that after sitting on a MTB, Cruiser, and BMX, she prefers the style and feel of a BMX bike.

I know this is not a BMX forum, however, when I lurked here years ago there was a lot of good info on bikes in general. I am not up to snuff with my bike knowledge so was hoping to get some opinions on what to get her that isn't complete crap, but not wallet burning either. I really can't spend more than $150 (per the wife's limit).

So she is 9 years old, and is standing at just over 4 feet tall and about 60 lbs. Looking at options out there...well there aren't many. She actually liked the GT Dick's special but it clearly looked like a boy's bike (though she said she didn't care about the color). It was a 20" wheel with an 18.5" top tube.

I was online and was looking at the Framed Impact and was thinking that a 20" might be a bit big for a BMX and that the 18 would be the best sizing...but, my daughter isn't really going to be a BMX rider. In reality, she is just going to be cruising the neighborhood with her friends. I see her sitting down on the seat, rather than riding standing like a normal BMX bike would be ridden. Knowing this, I was thinking about just picking up the 20" and adjusting the seat and bars to her riding style. I think she just likes the look, and style of the BMX more than anything, but just wants to cruise on it. Sitting on the 20" at the store, it looked to be a good fit if I raise the seat a bit and she could ride it like a normal bike.

Or, should I just forget about getting a decent bike and just get her the Walmart special for what she is going to use it for. I know the Framed Impact isn't much higher on the scale than a Walmart special, but I wanted something that is going to last more than a year.

Am I overthinking this? Am I just stupid?

mtbr member
    You can find some pretty good kids bikes on Craigslist for pretty close to your price limit.

If you think you'll try and take her on the trails, you could also look at some local shops that do trade up programs. It would require a discussion with your wife, but basically, buy a new bike (for a good kids bike, $300-400), but when she outgrows it in a couple of years, you get 50% (typical) of the price you paid credited towards the next size when you trade it in. Just an option if you think she'll be riding trails and need a better bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    She won't be doing any off road riding on this bike. Its really just for cruising around the neighborhood and going on family rides on a paved rail trail.

I really want something new since it is a Christmas present. For her usage I don't think she really needs a top of the line bike, but I also don't want Walmart crap.

I am really more concerned about sizing for her usage. I know what the dynamics of a BMX "should" be, but she will not be doing tricks or jumps on this bike (it just doesn't interest her). She just wants a cool looking BMX bike to ride around with her friends if that makes sense.

jcd's best friend
    I checked Diamondback's website for you. They do have a kids section that has a bunch of different bikes. However, their inventory keeps changing. Over the summer, they had quite a few road bikes for kids and some mountain bikes. Now, it seems to be a mix of stuff. You can check their site out to see if there is anything of interest.
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How about something like this? Yeah, it's a 24 rather than 20, but that's going to probably work better for 'hood riding IMHO (unless she's super, super short).

For actual BMX, yeah, I'd also go 18" most likely. Tons of choices in those, but doesn't seem like a good fit for her riding as you mentioned.

edit...OOPS - just noticed the $150 price limit. Your pretty much limited to new or used fairly low end stuff with that.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I know for $150 I am getting into entry level, but I still think with some shopping around, I can get something better than a Huffy, Schwinn, or Kent that they sell at the discount box stores.

The Framed impact is $120 for the 18" and $130 for the 20" and I think those are the best deals I will find in my price bracket. I know they are only a 1 piece crank and the bearings aren't sealed, but since this bike really isn't going offroad, I don't see it as an issue...considering the super budget bikes at walmart aren't any better.

I feel with the Framed bike, at least I will be getting better QC on parts and assembly with a better frame, even with entry level gear.

the discerning hooligan
    You should be able to get a shop quality bike for $150 on Craigslist if you keep your eyes open. If she’s attracted to the bmx bike get that for her.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    If you spend just a little more can get a nice Diamondback for $195 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/2018-Diamondb...r_1_fkmrnull_3

otherwise just go to Walmart

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Maybe this is an option for you? I think gears are a good idea if she'll be hitting hills.

Save Up to 60% Off Bike Shop Quality Cruiser Bikes for Lil' Riders

Bike for my Daughter-nugget-clrblu-sml-21.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Maybe you should just get her the one she liked at Dick’s.

Ah, scratch that. Performance Bike has a nice one for $169.00. You could have it shipped, or if you are lucky, one might be within driving distance.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...nco-20-31-9631

Performance Bike doesn’t have a picture, but I think this is it.

BRONCO 20" - Kids , Bikes | SEBikes.com
    Last edited by Muirenn; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Don’t worry if it’s a boy’s bike. The only difference is color.

I do suggest looking for a new saddle after purchase. Odds are the one on there won’t be ideal. And she may or may not say anything. Bontrager makes nice children's saddles. And Performance lists a few. Look for one in the 120-130 mm width range. I'd lean smaller since as she is petite.

It also looks like these kid's bikes come with old style 'straight' seatposts. I'd get a real one and have it cut to the correct size. Those two thing will prevent any nerve damage.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I think if she liked the one at Dicks get the one at Dicks

My daughters are both grown now and I corrupted their youth with bicycles they still ride now and again today. The one thing I did on every bike I bought for them from toddlers to teens was have them be part of the process

Over the years my girls and I have done countless rides and made many memories The RAC we did ten times and we did ragrbrai and countless trips to the beach about 20 miles.All before finishing high school. The key to all of this I think was from an early age not pushing them in and getting bikes for them with their input. It did not hurt that there were two doors down their best friends and father who was a cyclist as well and much of what was accomplished was done as a group

https://www.rideacrosscalifornia.com/history/

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    She's nine. Just get her what she wants. Let her enjoy riding a bike for what it was for us at that age, a means of escape and to be with friends. In a couple of years she will either outgrow, lose interest or want something better.
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallo View Post
    I think if she liked the one at Dicks get the one at Dicks

My daughters are both grown now and I corrupted their youth with bicycles they still ride now and again today. The one thing I did on every bike I bought for them from toddlers to teens was have them be part of the process

Over the years my girls and I have done countless rides and made many memories The RAC we did ten times and we did ragrbrai and countless trips to the beach about 20 miles.All before finishing high school. The key to all of this I think was from an early age not pushing them in and getting bikes for them with their input. It did not hurt that there were two doors down their best friends and father who was a cyclist as well and much of what was accomplished was done as a group

https://www.rideacrosscalifornia.com/history/
    I'm from Iowa, and did RAGBRAI IX and X at ages 11 and 12. And a little of RAGBRAI VIII. It overnighted in my town that year, and it is how we got into it. I'd had a drop bar road bike since age 8 or 9. But most of the bikes were either road or 'dirt.' back then. And I was tall for my age, so the kid's bikes didn't fit once I outgrew my 'used' Schwinn Stingray. I loved RAGBRAI. Glad you got to take your daughters. It's a special thing to do.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I'm from Iowa, and did RAGBRAI IX and X at ages 11 and 12. And a little of RAGBRAI VIII. It overnighted in my town that year, and it is how we got into it. I'd had a drop bar road bike since age 8 or 9. But most of the bikes were either road or 'dirt.' back then. And I was tall for my age, so the kid's bikes didn't fit once I outgrew my 'used' Schwinn Stingray. I loved RAGBRAI. Glad you got to take your daughters. It's a special thing to do.
    My daughters were 13 and 17 at the time for Ragbrai. We had quite the adventure and a boatload of Midwest Hospitality. Pic is RAC Black Canyon Ramona CA My Girls on the left I think eleven and fifteen at the time The girl in the mask crashed on a big downhill on Palomar a week or two earlier still did the RAC girl on far right part of our group for many years on the RAC Bike for my Daughter-girls-black-canyon.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Maybe this is an option for you? I think gears are a good idea if she'll be hitting hills.

Save Up to 60% Off Bike Shop Quality Cruiser Bikes for Lil' Riders
    Here's another one.

https://www.rei.com/product/109113/d...-20-girls-bike

I think all of these 20" MTBs are more or less the same in this $200 +/- price range.

They're a tank, but I think they're designed for Dad or Mom to ride too.

Just pick her favorite color.

BMX is cool too, but are you sure she wants to stand up and ride around the neighborhood?
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is brand name important?
    If not, then based on the type of riding you describe she'll be doing a "WalMart bike" will actually be just fine.
    When used "normally", even the cheap bikes will have few problems as long as they are assembled properly (something WalMart is not likely to do).

There are literally millions of off-brand bikes that kids ride every day and get along just fine with. Not everyone rides to the extreme like the members of this forum. Heck, my son rode a WalGoose for his first year on the trails. We now use it as a backup if something breaks that we can't fix right away on his "good" bike.

Take your budget and buy her the brand new bike that will fit her the best & she'll be fine with it.
    Unfortunately, getting her the bike that fits best may require in-person testing (thus ruining the Christmas surprise).

Edit to add: since she will be sitting and cruising (versus stand-pedaling), how about a non-suspension, or front-suspension-only MTB-style bike? It'll have the non-street-bike look, and none of the hassles of suspension. They're well within your budget.

(picture for illustration of style only)
    Name:  51ZRn41eVzL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  34.5 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallo View Post
    My daughters were 13 and 17 at the time for Ragbrai. We had quite the adventure and a boatload of Midwest Hospitality. Pic is RAC Black Canyon Ramona CA My Girls on the left I think eleven and fifteen at the time The girl in the mask crashed on a big downhill on Palomar a week or two earlier still did the RAC girl on far right part of our group for many years on the RAC Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Girls Black Canyon.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	1222786
    Oh this is nice!

Iowa hospitality. And pie. I probably ate a piece of pie every 30 miles.
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I found a Haro Leucaida at my local bike shop used but looks brand new. They want $175 for it, which I think is a good price. My wife, however, will not go over budget.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    Is brand name important?
    If not, then based on the type of riding you describe she'll be doing a "WalMart bike" will actually be just fine.
    When used "normally", even the cheap bikes will have few problems as long as they are assembled properly (something WalMart is not likely to do).

There are literally millions of off-brand bikes that kids ride every day and get along just fine with. Not everyone rides to the extreme like the members of this forum. Heck, my son rode a WalGoose for his first year on the trails. We now use it as a backup if something breaks that we can't fix right away on his "good" bike.

Take your budget and buy her the brand new bike that will fit her the best & she'll be fine with it.
    Unfortunately, getting her the bike that fits best may require in-person testing (thus ruining the Christmas surprise).

Edit to add: since she will be sitting and cruising (versus stand-pedaling), how about a non-suspension, or front-suspension-only MTB-style bike? It'll have the non-street-bike look, and none of the hassles of suspension. They're well within your budget.

(picture for illustration of style only)
    Name:  51ZRn41eVzL._SX425_.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  34.5 KB
    But no, name brand is not important...I just want her to have a good bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ask the bike shop for 25 bucks off

or pay the difference in cash and dont tell her

make sure the kid likes the bike

mtbr member
    get what she likes. for that budget and her age, it wont really matter

U sayin' Bolt ?
    100% go used if you have a $150 budget. That Haro and anything else you will find less than $300 new, is going to be heavy as heck. Her on that 26lb haro, would be like me on an 80lb bike. Not fun.

There are people who spend thousands on kids race bmx bikes. When they are done they sell them either locally or on Ebay. Grab something, clean it up, she will be much happier than slogging around a brand new $150 bike.

If anything find something with an aluminum frame and fork. No hi-ten steel, no cheap suspension forks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Maybe you should just get her the one she liked at Dick’s.

Ah, scratch that. Performance Bike has a nice one for $169.00. You could have it shipped, or if you are lucky, one might be within driving distance.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...nco-20-31-9631

Performance Bike doesn’t have a picture, but I think this is it.

BRONCO 20" - Kids , Bikes | SEBikes.com
    I found a 2017 leftover and am able to pick it up for under $150. I showed her a picture and she LOVES it. Its Pink! LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    I found a 2017 leftover and am able to pick it up for under $150. I showed her a picture and she LOVES it. Its Pink! LOL
    Congratulations.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nice.

Link?
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice.

Link?
    SE Bikes Bronco 20 2017 | 20" Kids Bikes for sale in The Colony

Shipping was $75!!! But I contacted them directly and we worked out a deal for $147 shipped.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    SE Bikes Bronco 20 2017 | 20" Kids Bikes for sale in The Colony

Shipping was $75!!! But I contacted them directly and we worked out a deal for $147 shipped.
    That does look nice. I hope they made a profit.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sweet!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.