Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Progressive hardtails are really fun on most trails. They don't beat up your back or anything like that. It's easier to describe where they're NOT just as fun.
    -long choppy trails
    -flow trails with big old bomb holes and nasty braking bumps
    -scary semi-natural jumps
    -long rock gardens, especially when you're trying to go fast.
    -4+ hour rides
    Bigger wheels/tires help negate some of those things, but this is a pretty solid list. Riding a hardtail can be an addiction. There's something super satisfying about riding a hardtail aggressively but having it feel super smooth.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've had hardtails but once I went full suspension there was no going back. I'm not an elite athlete and my skills aren't worth GoPro-ing. I'm a father of 3 who has to carefully pick and choose what to do in a limited amount of free time and biking is not my only hobby. A FS trailbike allows me to ride bigger, harder, with less risk of injury and less wear and tear on my body than I would otherwise have the skillset to manage. I have found that makes riding much more fun. That's really all there is to it. Hardtails still have their place and I like them, but I don't think it's so difficult to see why full suspension is what most people want these days, and in turn, why the media focuses on them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by prlundberg View Post
    I've had hardtails but once I went full suspension there was no going back. I'm not an elite athlete and my skills aren't worth GoPro-ing. I'm a father of 3 who has to carefully pick and choose what to do in a limited amount of free time and biking is not my only hobby. A FS trailbike allows me to ride bigger, harder, with less risk of injury and less wear and tear on my body than I would otherwise have the skillset to manage. I have found that makes riding much more fun. That's really all there is to it. Hardtails still have their place and I like them, but I don't think it's so difficult to see why full suspension is what most people want these days, and in turn, why the media focuses on them.
    You expressed yourself clearly and your $, your time = your choice.
    My experience is different. I have no car so i pedal to the trails, in the trails and back.
    I use the train to get out of the city but getting a share ride to a good trail network for a guy and a bike is a rare thing. So i end up in Xcross country ski trails or whatever and the top of the line HT i use is plenty.
    The funny thing i constantly hear is a HT shakes too much.
    Well many bought a 1,000$ HT then upgraded to a 3,000$ full.
    1,000$ is the value of my fork so basicaly they have no clue what is the experience on a recent 29 in. HT is.
    With a bit of luck in my next life i will be a girl with plenty of lifts to the nice trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prlundberg View Post
    Understood, and getting back to the original question at hand is it too much to ask for bike mag to throw a Hardtail in every once in a while? It seems as though the vast majority on here appreciates HT and FS. I actually donít really care anymore because Iíve recently subscribed to dirtrag. So Long as bike mag continues to do educational features like the most recent one on IMBA I will continue to subscribe to both, however, I will still inwardly bitch about the full suspension madness that goes on over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go to Dirtproject.org to help advocate for MTB awareness and trail expansion in IL and the Midwest #thinkoutsidetheroad.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestmtb View Post
    The Dwayyo, why beat around the bush?Just come out and say what you really mean: "I'm gnarlier than you, faster than you, and just plain better than you!"
    I made the tongue-in-cheekness clear in all of my posts... So yes I am gnarlier, faster and better at detecting humor than you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I made the tongue-in-cheekness clear in all of my posts... So yes I am gnarlier, faster and better at detecting humor than you!
    Actually, you're not.😉

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Actually, you're not.😉
    Wow, I can tell you I am definitely not gnarlier, faster and better at detecting a post you disagree with! That took you like four seconds, I'm impressed!

Lighten up, nobody cares what I think about your bike and neither should you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Dude take it down a notch. Nobody here is getting huffy about it. And yes you win on the 4 second thing if that's what you need at moment. Stay humerous bro.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Dude take it down a notch. Nobody here is getting huffy about it. And yes you win on the 4 second thing if that's what you need at moment. Stay humerous bro.
    Don't worry, I'm the gnarliest, fastest and betterest at taking it down a notch. I may even take it down a few notches, I'm that good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Don't worry, I'm the gnarliest, fastest and betterest at taking it down a notch. I may even take it down a few notches, I'm that good.
    Haha. 👍

mtbr member
    Set aside the lack of HT reviews in Bike Mag...there isn't even a HT forum on mtbr.com
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    Set aside the lack of HT reviews in Bike Mag...there isn't even a HT forum on mtbr.com
    I agree i find that pathetic.
    We know the reviews are never negative for companies who buy adds
    so they are basically disguised publicity.

- 3 years ago it was important to get free from the front shifter
    it was toooo much to manage
    - 2 years ago the dropper was a must
    - now that electric assistance management

What the F ???

The simplicity of a HT is terrible.
    The simplicity of a single front ring is grrreat???

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    We know the reviews are never negative for companies who buy adds
    so they are basically disguised publicity.

- 3 years ago it was important to get free from the front shifter
    it was toooo much to manage
    - 2 years ago the dropper was a must
    - now that electric assistance management

What the F ???

The simplicity of a HT is terrible.
    The simplicity of a single front ring is grrreat???
    TBH the dropper has been a must for over a decade.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    TBH the dropper has been a must for over a decade.
    Yep, I bought one in 2008 and I was 3 years behind the curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yep, I bought one in 2008 and I was 3 years behind the curve.
    Holy shit, that puts me 13 years out, and counting!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    And of course, we DO have forums for gravel bikes, folding bikes, 2 forums for bike lights...but HT's get no love

Amazing the companies still make them, as it is so clear they are obsolete and no one buys them ;-)
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123