which bike to bring for a long road trip and what trails to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

which bike to bring for a long road trip and what trails to ride?

Im going to be doing a long bike road trip. I have two bikes, turner czar w/120mm fork (1x10) and a tallboy ltc with a 140mm fork (setup 2x10).

Im going to be going through a lot of different places and am having trouble doing the research to figure out which bike. Im looking at mtbproject but it is hard to tell from it which bike.

The czar is almost a do it all bike, but the tallboy LTc is great for having security to bomb down technical stuff that I am not familiar with. It doesnt climb nearly as well though.

Im going to be riding

1) phoenix (or tucson)
    2) orange county
    3) santa barbara
    4) bay area (marin?)
    5) redwood national park
    6) portland/hood river

Im doing the research, but Im not sure if Im missing anything. Basically if there is a lot of climbing without too much tech downhill I want the czar. But if there is a lot of ledgy rocky downhill then I want the tallboy. If there is real downhill I will avoid or rent a bike.

I havent ridden a ton of trails outside of austin (orange county, red rock -vegas, durango colorado trail, gooseberry mesa) but it seemed most trails were not very technical and were just groomed with steep climbs. The czar would be ideal for orange county, gooseberry and the colorado trail near durango).

Duck Fonald
    I vote for the shorter-travel rig.
    "It is what it is."

DJT on US Covid-19 deaths.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    For example this is south mountain in phoenix. This trail would be the czar I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuidqpiftnY

this geronimo trail might be better on the ltc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8XWNb_acbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think either would be fine ,I ride a TB in the Bay Area ,but mines 120 mm. I've ridden in the Phoenix area with a hard tail ,it was fine.Why can't you bring both?

mtbr member
    Two trains of thought. Tall boy for everything, just because you don't know what you might end up riding. If it's more confidence inspiring, you'll go all it full bore and have fun. If you bring the czar, you'll still have lots of fun, but might hold back. Also, if you find some downhill that's beyond the czars capability, you might end up wasting time and money getting a rental, while the tallboy could ride it. I also like the additional gearing option of the tallboy.

Since you're only taking one bike, which have you had better luck with getting stuff fixed easily? If something were to brake on the trip, would you be able to get one of them repaired faster and easier than the other?
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    I think either would be fine ,I ride a TB in the Bay Area ,but mines 120 mm. I've ridden in the Phoenix area with a hard tail ,it was fine.Why can't you bring both?
    Where do you propose he keep the bike he's not riding? In the motel room? In the car while he's on the trail?

Unless he's got a secure place for the extra bike, I would nix this idea.
    "It is what it is."

DJT on US Covid-19 deaths.

mtbr member
    Czar...I've had both the regular TB set up with a 120mm fork and the TBLTC with a 140. I actually thought the regular TB was a better all around bike. The reality is, 120mm is all you need 90% of the time. I've ridden it on all but the gnarliest stuff at Moab and it did perfectly fine just as long as you don't plan on doing any hucking off 5 foot drops.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Play it safe and go with the more squish bike. It's also a do-it-all bike with the added bonus of "doing more".
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Go long travel and crush telonics, PG and stairsteps in OC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Two trains of thought. Tall boy for everything, just because you don't know what you might end up riding. If it's more confidence inspiring, you'll go all it full bore and have fun. If you bring the czar, you'll still have lots of fun, but might hold back. Also, if you find some downhill that's beyond the czars capability, you might end up wasting time and money getting a rental, while the tallboy could ride it. I also like the additional gearing option of the tallboy.

Since you're only taking one bike, which have you had better luck with getting stuff fixed easily? If something were to brake on the trip, would you be able to get one of them repaired faster and easier than the other?
    I have them setup pretty much the same way with pretty much all standard components. The czar is running hope brakes which use slightly harder to find pads. The LTc is running xt brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    traveling with family, have two kids bikes Im bringing already. Plus a ton of kitesurfing gear

mtbr member
    kite surfing on a full squish. awesome mental image.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"