Best washing machine for bike clothes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Best washing machine for bike clothes

Looking for a top loader that won't unnecessarily shorten the lifespan of obscenely expensive cycling clothes. It looks like top loaders have come quite a long way compared to the ancient one with a flagpole agitator that I currently own. I know front loaders are considered more gentle, but I know the potential mold/smell issues will drive the wife crazy (even if there is no mold or smell she will worry about it)

Price isn't really an issue, so long as I can have enough left over for a $300 Rapha jacket

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    No recommendations here, but just a tip.

Whether you buy a front loader or top loader, always leave the lid up (TL) or door open (FL) immediately after washing. If the FL leaves the light on while the door is open (like my Maytag did), just pull the plug. I zip tied the cord so it hung right at the outlet when unplugged so it didn't fall down the back. To prevent mold and odors, you always want to air those drums out at all times. Do not close the door/lid. My Maytag had drain holes - it still doesn't matter. After 4 years, everyone was shocked that my washer looked and smelled like new unlike everyone else who had mold/mildew problems of varying degrees with that same model.

Yeah, top loaders have come a long way. If I were in the market, I would strongly prefer a TL because there's no door latch BS to deal with (and the accompanying failures/repairs that seem to come with them). I haven't looked in over 5 years now so I don't know what's out there to make any recommendation.

Ride More, Work Less
    Any washer with a hand wash or delicate cycle will do just fine if you feel like babying the shorts. The shorts are, however, far tougher than your wife's underwear--I would hope

We just run mine through the regular cycle and let air dry. Never had an issue with either the old style or front loader.

We learned a very simple fix to a smelly front loader: leave the door ajar after emptying. This lets it air out and makes it easier to load when it comes time (we have 4 boys, so ours is typically running).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    We like our LG, it's the front loader but it has a super gentle cycle, and it spins so fast that jeans dry in less than 20 minutes. Just leave the door open 1" and it's fine. Steam function on the dryer is oh so nice too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Even the most expensive washers can be tough on delicate, synthetic fabrics. Whichever one you get you need to invest in a couple of large "bra bags"...ask you wife, she'll know what they are.

mtbr member
    I've got no problem with my front loader and lots of synthetics (I have a pretty big soccer jersey collection in addition to bike stuff) I wash it on regular, and hang to dry.

As far as the mold/ mildew/ funny smell. Leave the door open. I actually leave the door open and the soap slider open as well. Mine is around five years old, and no odd smells.

mtbr member
    +1 for the "bra" bags. They're just mesh bags that keep straps, velcro, etc from tangling with everything else. I use them for my baggy shorts and gloves.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

beater
    No advice on a top-loader but I can chime in that I've never had an issue or noticed any smells with my front loading washer in the 5+ years I've had it. I leave the door slightly open and give it a bleach cycle maybe every 6 months. I live in a 2BR condo, so having stacking front loaders was a no-brainer for space. Whirlpool Duet Sports.

Chubby Chaser
    I use to work in the appliances department at Best Buy and at that time GE had a top loading washer that doesn't have an agitator. IMO buying a new washing machine just for the sake of protecting your cycling clothes is going a little far. As someone mentioned already there are the netted bags that you can put delicate clothes into, and just put your washer on "gentle/delicate" wash cycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I give them to my wife.

Just a flesh wound

Shimano

The titanium Speed Washer XTR is the way to go. SRAM washers suck..
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing View Post
    IMO buying a new washing machine just for the sake of protecting your cycling clothes is going a little far.

I wonder if the OP is buying an extra one just for his cycling clothes.

Retired User
    You'd best go with THIS ONE my friend. Otherwise, you're just asking to have your riding clothes destroyed.

Dirt Huffer
    IMO, It's the drying cycle that is most hard on clothes. Air dry your clothes if you're worried about them.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowOnO2 View Post
    I wonder if the OP is buying an extra one just for his cycling clothes.
    He does go by lil'stink, so it might be money well spent.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    another vote for washing in a mesh bag.

All fat, all the time.
    Wash gentle cycle, no fabric softener. Air dry jerseys.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    We like our LG, it's the front loader but it has a super gentle cycle, and it spins so fast that jeans dry in less than 20 minutes. Just leave the door open 1" and it's fine. Steam function on the dryer is oh so nice too.
    I was blown away by the difference our new LG HE setup made, the clothes just last longer, dry faster, don't fade etc. Worth the coin.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not buying a new one just for bike clothes, that would be silly. Our current machine is so old that it doesn't even have a gentle cycle, and yes, I do use laundry bags for my cycling clothes.

Members who have read this thread: 0